As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Servers Up!, and surprisingly stable! 7 free days starting 9/4/13

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    In general you will not want to spend Gil on items from vendors. There will be suitable quest rewards and dungeon drops available. The first several dungeons are not tuned to require bleeding edge gear, they assume you just have your quest rewards.

this cannot be overstated

do not buy gear from vendors

crafters can make most anything they sell at a fraction of the cost

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I've heard that end game is kinda fucked..i.e due to the ridiculous repair costs and lack of gil the best way to do end game dungeons is to run through, ignoring all the enemies, have your tank die a few times soaking up hits/distracting the mobs from everyone else and finish it without killing a single non boss mob..any truth to this? kinda kills my desire to play if so.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    There are some exceptions, of course. It can sometimes be quicker to just buy the low-end +CP/GP accessories from vendors than get a goldsmith to make them for you.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    I still can't decide which of Lancer, Pugilist or Thaumaturge to job up. Archer and Arcanist don't interest me at all, fortunately, but that's still three classes sitting at around 20 that I can't pick a favorite from :(

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    There are some exceptions, of course. It can sometimes be quicker to just buy the low-end +CP/GP accessories from vendors than get a goldsmith to make them for you.

Plus, low level ones will last a long time, because upgrading all your slots for +10 CP isn't worth it.

On that note...

I need fleece, all the fleece in the world. Where can I get some fleece? Karakuls are stingy.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    all my low level crafting stuff was cheaper to buy from the vendors. In fact I'm pretty sure a lot of the stuff on the market was people trying to flip it off the vendor

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    all my low level crafting stuff was cheaper to buy from the vendors. In fact I'm pretty sure a lot of the stuff on the market was people trying to flip it off the vendor

I'm not talking about the market (which is so borked right now)

I'm talking about fellow GHOSTs

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    So my buddy is having severe gil issues at level 20, he's been going between the three towns working on his crafting, gathering, and combat classes, and well, he's not really getting the income to support even going between them via airships, yet alone teleporting.

Is this just something that evens out a bit later on (when he gets access to selling on the AH, for example) or is gil always going to be an issue? How are people making money in game?

Tell him to stop teleporting and to gather his own mats.

I have multiple crafting classes that are around 20 with about 13k on hand and even with airship tickets my gil is going up not down because of leves and the occasional fate I wander into while running those leves to level my archer.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    To be fair, the market is ALWAYS borked in a new MMO. It takes time for the econ to settle.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »

aaaghhghhgg

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Posted in the screenshot here we are again ...

ffxiv_09082013_004013_zps2a708e82.png

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Some of the AH prices just seem kind of...hopeful? I don't think there are going to be many people who have millions of Gil yet.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This happens every time a new MMO launches. They are hoping someone is a sucker.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    This happens every time a new MMO launches. They are hoping someone is a sucker.

The ad part is plenty of people are

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Orange juice, man. Also chicken eggs.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I admit I was a sucker kind of. I looked up the mats to make my future relic axe, the bloody part cost more than the finished weapon, so I just bought one then without realizing how common they were in dungeons, one dropped in my first ever run of wanderer's palace

• Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    they really like to ramp up the awesome in the music for the last part of the story huh

• Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    So, I just hit lvl 11 with my GLD last night and I'm really enjoying the game and getting to know my fellow ghosts in Raidcall and FC chat.
    I have a couple of questions:
    1) I'm in Ul'dah and I'm unsure where/when I get the story quest for using the inn, anyone know? (I assume I'm just overleveled for my story quests, I think latest one I turned in was lvl 9 or 10)

2) When does the "duty" menu button unlock?

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    more naughty blm action!
    9r9j.jpg
    xl8m.jpg

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    ffxiv_09062013_195140.jpg

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Okay the positional attacks and buffs on Lancer and Pugilist are going to drive me fucking barmy, so I think I'm going to stick to Thaumaturge for a while

At least until I get the urge to switch back to the 34 Marauder, but soloing him is kinda slow and dungeons are so piss-poor for XP :(

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Are any of you armorers of a high enough level to make Iron Scalemail and it's associated pieces? The level 22 iron armor set basically.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Okay the positional attacks and buffs on Lancer and Pugilist are going to drive me fucking barmy, so I think I'm going to stick to Thaumaturge for a while

At least until I get the urge to switch back to the 34 Marauder, but soloing him is kinda slow and dungeons are so piss-poor for XP :(

Lancer gets better at higher levels when stuff starts to last longer. Mid 20s/30s is a little hectic though.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Are any of you armorers of a high enough level to make Iron Scalemail and it's associated pieces? The level 22 iron armor set basically.

I have Iron Scale Fingers, Greaves and Mail you can take off my hands. And Jackboots and I can make and Elmo for you.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »

I have Iron Scale Fingers, Greaves and Mail you can take off my hands. And Jackboots and I can make and Elmo for you.

That would be awesome. What's your in-game name?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Gyral wrote: »

That would be awesome. What's your in-game name?

Flynn Gyral. I'm in the Limsa Market right now while I watch HBO with the wife.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Got my miner up to 32 this weekend, spent about 65 leve allowances so far. It's so grindy, even spamming leves.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I want to thank the GHOSTs who ran my poor, lowbie DPS rear end through Tam-Tara and Sastasha tonight. Sitting in those queues as DPS was horrible, and you peoples made the evening so much better.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Skeith wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »

Lancer gets better at higher levels when stuff starts to last longer. Mid 20s/30s is a little hectic though.

I'll take your word for it :P

I think I'm still too bad at video games to do Pugilist, but I'm gonna keep trying Lancer. Thaumaturge is way more fun and flashy in FATEs though, and I like burning things...

aghhagh

(edit) Also if anyone doesn't know you can /doze while /sitting and like everything else with Lalafell it is the cutest thing ever as them

Ledneh on
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I want to thank the GHOSTs who ran my poor, lowbie DPS rear end through Tam-Tara and Sastasha tonight. Sitting in those queues as DPS was horrible, and you peoples made the evening so much better.

I've made this slightly less terrible by only counting high quality mats as actual hits. It isn't actually less grindy but when I'm watching for that instead of the tiny creep of my exp bar it somehow seems less grindy.

Plus yay awesome mats on hand for when I actually sit down to do some crafting.

• Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    30 levels of conjurer in and I'm a little bored of the healing in this game. 92% pressing Cure, 5% avoiding red spots, 2% pressing Esuna, 1% pressing the group heal which I use so rarely I forget the name of it. I hope white magery is somewhat more engaging, but I don't hold much hope.

MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    FightTest wrote: »
    30 levels of conjurer in and I'm a little bored of the healing in this game. 92% pressing Cure, 5% avoiding red spots, 2% pressing Esuna, 1% pressing the group heal which I use so rarely I forget the name of it. I hope white magery is somewhat more engaging, but I don't hold much hope.

Eventually you get some sweet ass spells. But yea levels 1-35 are kinda bland for Conjurer's. I'd say 35 is when you start to feel like a badass. You get some sweet long CD, but powerful skills around there. Hell the level 30 WHM skill is really good. The problem is also that you don't face...significantly difficult dungeons until...i'm going to say high 30's. Thats when you see the difference between a bad WHM and a good WHM.

Don't despair, you're almost there!

Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Jars wrote: »
    you get gold from questing more than any other source, not crafting or gathering. he's probably burning gold on that stuff
    Yeah, if you're crafting, you really need/want to turn those items in for leves or make bank on the Market. If he's not doing either of those, you're going to be SOL.

Also it's best to try and be efficient about your traveling. If you bounce back and forth a ton, it'll absolutely chew through your gil. Is your buddy setting the cities as Favored Locations and using one as his home point for Return?

---

Also, for a money comparison:
    A level 45 battleleve on max difficulty and with bonus bounty complete was giving me ~450 gil.
    A level 5/10 craftleve with an HQ turnin...was also giving me ~450 gil.

Yeah.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Greatest achievement thus far: Memorizing the password LastPass generated for me when I made my account.

• Options
    Yup you want to do HQ turn ins whenever possible. And the key to having a decent shot at HQ turn ins is to stockpile your own mats.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    It's been a very long road....but I finally got there:

EwT5nNA.jpg
    KT1E2bd.jpg

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    Yup you want to do HQ turn ins whenever possible. And the key to having a decent shot at HQ turn ins is to stockpile your own mats.

and if you're leveling the gathering skill yourself, you have enough time to stockpile all the mats you'll ever even think about using before outleveling it.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    PoolCue wrote: »

and if you're leveling the gathering skill yourself, you have enough time to stockpile all the mats you'll ever even think about using before outleveling it.

Especially if you're insane like me and stockpile HQ stuff from gathering for the supply turn-ins with your GC.

aTBDrQE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.