As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:ARR] Servers Up!, and surprisingly stable! 7 free days starting 9/4/13

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Looks like PS3 players will be able to try out the PS4 beta for free. Apparently the PS4 beta will launch when the PS4 launches in Japan on Feb 22nd.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Also celebrated with the purchase of the Crested Barding for my Chocobo.

trOvwtw.jpg

More horns is better!

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    How does gathering work here? Haven't seen anyone do it on streams.

• Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    qhvn.jpg
    after a lot of annoyance and disappointment 3rd ifrit weapon get...

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    PoolCue wrote: »
    Yup you want to do HQ turn ins whenever possible. And the key to having a decent shot at HQ turn ins is to stockpile your own mats.

and if you're leveling the gathering skill yourself, you have enough time to stockpile all the mats you'll ever even think about using before outleveling it.

Absolutely. I haven't touched Alchemy, Goldsmithing or Culinary yet but only because I know I already have enough stored to get them into the teens entirely by accident.

• DulonDulon Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Once you reach a gathering point, a menu opens up with all the possible items you can get from that point and you can select what to aim for. Your gathering stat determines your success chance and your perception the chance to get a hq item.

Your gathering log lists all things available at/below your level and where to find it, so you can aim for specific items very reliably.
    There are some special abilities to give a bonus to gathering or perception for example, these cost gp to use.
    You also have some passive abilities to increase your success depending on the point/your stats.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Each city has specific jobs available which is kind of annoying til you can travel around. I've only picked up botany so far but it basically comes with its own "weapon" clothes and abilities. Switching to a crafting job is just like switching to one of the fighting jobs.

After that it's just a matter of going outside and looking for nodes on the minimap to go gather from. Most nodes have multiple items with different chances of being obtained (ie maple wood might be 96% but a type of snail from that tree could be 80%) and you choose which one you want.

One nice bit is one of the powers directs me to the next closest node if I don't see any on my map. Another is that you choose what material you want from a given node so long as it can supply it. You might not get it but you'll at least not be left wondering if this node will supply it.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Ok dumb question: if I have 2 Legacy characters trapped on a JP server is there any way to transfer them to a NA legacy server at this point?

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    so messing about, just got dragoon... trying to decide on cross class skills. Internal Release is a given, but that's about it. Is Fracture worth it, or would I lose DPS using a cooldown on that one? Not really anything else other than Second Wind as an emergency cooldown, same with Bloodbath or w/e it's called.

Are you the magic man?
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Not yet, but give it a week or two.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Ho hum still can't buy it. My moneys, take them, etc

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Ho hum still can't buy it. My moneys, take them, etc

Throw your wallet at the monitor harder!

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    I've heard that end game is kinda fucked..i.e due to the ridiculous repair costs and lack of gil the best way to do end game dungeons is to run through, ignoring all the enemies, have your tank die a few times soaking up hits/distracting the mobs from everyone else and finish it without killing a single non boss mob..any truth to this? kinda kills my desire to play if so.

Endgame is about killing bosses, just like in other MMOs.

My gil keeps going up and all I'm doing is endgame dungeons and a few leves quests now and then for the extra gil.

Everyday its the same topics repeated though, tanks sucks, pugs suck, gil doesnt exist endgame, etc. None of that has seemed to effect me however.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    I will admit getting 200k+ XP from that fate is kinda nice.

I have a hard time faulting people for leveling quickly, especially when you've only got hunting, FATEs and dungeons outside of the quests.

Quintessin wrote: »
    This crap with the 'exploitable' fates in Northern Thanalan has got to stop, it's getting out of control. I play on Cactuar, and today I was told I would be black-listed by "all the top guilds" because I ended a fate people were XP grinding on. People have got to let their egos deflate a little bit, and realize not everyone is there to grind XP faster than anyone else. Anyone else have problems with this crap?

Anyone saying something that idiotic is not in any sorta "top guild" by any means. Just shit players make idle threats.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    You have no responsibility to other players to enable their exploits. If you want to finish the fate chain to move on with your life because you're not in one of the AoE groups, go for it. Those people are just being silly geese, and nobody of consequence will actually blacklist you for that.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    A lot of the top guild players really are blacklisting people for ending Dark Devices early and such, but if you aren't in there grinding it yourself you won't ever be in their guild and you probably don't give a shit.

And this is a game where raids are instances, it's not like it's 1999 EverQuest so let the ragers cry about it and keep killing the lambs. It makes me laugh pretty hard when they all start raging in chat, at least.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Karrmer wrote: »
    ... but if you aren't in there grinding it yourself you won't ever be in their guild and you probably don't give a shit....

Probably the key take-away. Plus, if SE is smart, they'll allow servers transfers at some point (really smart, they'd be free but limited to only so often, but even paid would be good if the cost is reasonable). Then you can just go somewhere with people that aren't geese.

I haven't kept up. What did they do with dungeons and quests? Are you still gated behind finishing the dungeon quests (at least the first 3) in order before opening up new quests?

And are tanks/healers in high demand as usual in MMOs?

A lot of the top guild players really are blacklisting people for ending Dark Devices early and such, but if you aren't in there grinding it yourself you won't ever be in their guild and you probably don't give a shit.

And this is a game where raids are instances, it's not like it's 1999 EverQuest so let the ragers cry about it and keep killing the lambs. It makes me laugh pretty hard when they all start raging in chat, at least.

Needing to grind exp like that is not something a "top guild" player would need IMO. Also so called "top guilds" typically have rules about keeping a good reputation. Anytime I've been in one, they have had rules about making such asinine comments and you would get booted or warned for something like that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Don't be silly, of course top guilds are going to have their people utilize the most efficient leveling method to get into endgame as quickly as possible.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I want to thank the GHOSTs who ran my poor, lowbie DPS rear end through Tam-Tara and Sastasha tonight. Sitting in those queues as DPS was horrible, and you peoples made the evening so much better.

Yeah, sorry I didn't go with you. I was about 20 minutes away from going to bed.

steam_sig.png
    Don't be silly, of course top guilds are going to have their people utilize the most efficient leveling method to get into endgame as quickly as possible.

Top guilds are still leveling their main jobs for raiding, wtf?

That's not what I would call a top guild. I got my non-legacy PLD to 50 before most, and when I did no one was exploiting that FATE at all. I can only assume the hardcore progression guilds leveled even faster than me.

People saying the nonsense about blacklisting people are just idiots and have nothing to do with a respected top guild of any sort. Again, shit players making idle threats.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Great for SaucesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    This is an example of the difference between a "top guild" and an actual top raiding guild. The real thing doesn't care about your FATE, because they got their pieces in place a week ago. These guys are just geese.

Wooden Spoon on
    FFXIV:Iadrich Loffel
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    3DS: 1005-8709-0277
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    ... but if you aren't in there grinding it yourself you won't ever be in their guild and you probably don't give a shit....

Probably the key take-away. Plus, if SE is smart, they'll allow servers transfers at some point (really smart, they'd be free but limited to only so often, but even paid would be good if the cost is reasonable). Then you can just go somewhere with people that aren't geese.

I haven't kept up. What did they do with dungeons and quests? Are you still gated behind finishing the dungeon quests (at least the first 3) in order before opening up new quests?

And are tanks/healers in high demand as usual in MMOs?

Server transfers were confirmed for mid-September. Pretty sure that a free transfer at that time was allowed as well, given the server mess from earlier (in order to let people shift into less populated worlds and even out the load).

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I want to thank the GHOSTs who ran my poor, lowbie DPS rear end through Tam-Tara and Sastasha tonight. Sitting in those queues as DPS was horrible, and you peoples made the evening so much better.

Yeah, sorry I didn't go with you. I was about 20 minutes away from going to bed.

No problem, I'm sure there will be more chances. It looks like its going to make me run a dungeon in Ul'Dah next. I'm sure after an hour in the queue tonight I'll be begging for help again.
    Badwrong wrote:
    Top guilds are still leveling their main jobs for raiding, wtf?

That's not what I would call a top guild. I got my non-legacy PLD to 50 before most, and when I did no one was exploiting that FATE at all. I can only assume the hardcore progression guilds leveled even faster than me.

People saying the nonsense about blacklisting people are just idiots and have nothing to do with a respected top guild of any sort. Again, shit players making idle threats.

My first thought on reading this was "Someone should make a guild on that server's who's sole purpose is to troll those people and end their grinding FATEs as fast as possible. That would be funny."

I think I'm going to stand by that idea.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Just curious about somethign there... this whole "end-game money problem"

There are still plenty of avenues for making money in the game, correct?

The "problem" is that running the actual dungeons doesn't provide money... right?

Because... I'm not really sure where the problem is? You need to actually do something to fund your dungeoning adventures? Oh noes?

• KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    Problem is that mobs don't really drop money and shit so you kinda don't generate any actual new gil without doing leves or quests, as far as I know.

You can do the marketplace thing but then you're just taking gil from someone else, it just seems like the actual creation of new money is much harder in this game than in other MMOs where it is way easier to farm money the old fashioned way.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Generally I would agree with you, Daemon, assuming that the other thing you do to fund your dungeons is still fun. This is general, though, not just FFXI related. From what Badwrong said, it doesn't really sound like an issue, though.

am0n on
  • rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    The issue is there do not appear to be plenty of avenues for infusing the economy with money at end game. Whether or not that is true remains to be seen.

The vast majority of income comes from quest rewards, and at 50, quests pretty much are not a thing that happens anymore beyond a 6 per day allowance that can be used for a variety of things.

Could very much be a case of the sky is falling, but it does seem at the least a legitimate thing to think about and keep an eye on.

As for the whole Fate grinding thing. I personally don't think it's an exploit, but that's neither here not there.

People threatening to blacklist you over ending it early is a dick move.

Ending it early (on purpose) when you know a ton of people are working together to enjoy it is also a dick move.

I wouldn't think very highly of either party.

DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Just curious about somethign there... this whole "end-game money problem"

There are still plenty of avenues for making money in the game, correct?

The "problem" is that running the actual dungeons doesn't provide money... right?

Because... I'm not really sure where the problem is? You need to actually do something to fund your dungeoning adventures? Oh noes?

There is no gil coming from the game itself if all you do is run dungeons. But there is plenty of gil to be had from selling stuff, even if you are just running endgame dungeons.

For example I buy cheap level 49 crafted rings, equip them when I run dungeons and then turn them into materia and sell them. They are more than enough to cover repair/teleport costs right now.

Also, using leve's at endgame are kinda like a daily right now. I had 97 of them saved up since I had no need of them when leveling. Using them now and then to keep from being capped and its enough pocket change on the crafting/gathering ones to keep my gil going up. In the case of leves the gil is created by an NPC, so claims that people make of there being zero methods of getting gil are wrong.

Oh, and dungeon chests all drop allagan pieces, the 100 gil ones. Its not much, but with the amount of dungeons you need to grind for gear its enough to also cover repairs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Judging but everything Badwrong has said people are a bunch of crybabies.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    so messing about, just got dragoon... trying to decide on cross class skills. Internal Release is a given, but that's about it. Is Fracture worth it, or would I lose DPS using a cooldown on that one? Not really anything else other than Second Wind as an emergency cooldown, same with Bloodbath or w/e it's called.

I'd grab Fracture, but I'm not super familiar with the Dragoon's rotation. It's extra damage on a DoT, and has a pretty high base potency as is. I'd say you're right on with the others... Internal Release, Second Wind.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DulonDulon Registered User regular
    It's all speculation at this point. Sure, a person who does nothing but running endgame dungeons removes gil from the economy.
    But we don't know the ratios between leveling players, max level players and crafters (since crafting leves seem to generate a lot of gil).

We simply lack the data to judge if the current system removes more gil than it adds right now. Once more people reach endgame the scales might tip though. But it's very likely they monitor the gil in circulation and make sure there is enough of it.

But even if the economy was safe, that doesn't help the dungeon runner. Maybe it's by design that they run out of money if they do nothing else, maybe it's an oversight. Personally, i think it's not a bad thing if endgame content does require some preparation.

Dulon wrote: »
    It's all speculation at this point. Sure, a person who does nothing but running endgame dungeons removes gil from the economy.
    But we don't know the ratios between leveling players, max level players and crafters (since crafting leves seem to generate a lot of gil).

We simply lack the data to judge if the current system removes more gil than it adds right now. Once more people reach endgame the scales might tip though. But it's very likely they monitor the gil in circulation and make sure there is enough of it.

But even if the economy was safe, that doesn't help the dungeon runner. Maybe it's by design that they run out of money if they do nothing else, maybe it's an oversight. Personally, i think it's not a bad thing if endgame content does require some preparation.

Right. That's the main thing people are crying about. I'm not really talking about the economy at large. Just the people who all cry about the costs of dungeon running and the people who do the tank-suicide speedruns to avoid costs and then the people who say that it is the only option and ruining the game.

We have enough information to say that these people are a bunch of geese.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I still can't decide which of Lancer, Pugilist or Thaumaturge to job up. Archer and Arcanist don't interest me at all, fortunately, but that's still three classes sitting at around 20 that I can't pick a favorite from :(

I'm a lancer, still at lvl 41. Love it, looks flashy, great animations, fun to play. I seem to be routinely outdamaged by the other DPS classes though whenever I try and pay attention to the numbers popping up. I also seem to have no AoE abilities available to me until later on, so if you want to AoE you'll be waiting until the very high levels to do it.

Lancers seem to have more survivability options as well between the Pugilist cross-class and marauder cross-class skills I have a lot of cooldowns I can burn for survivability in worse case scenarios.

• IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    So there's already an event going on? Neato.

Can anyone confirm that the ash item that the Bomb fate near Costa del Sol was dropping is the currency for the event? If so, woo-hoo for being a packrat.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    So there's already an event going on? Neato.

Can anyone confirm that the ash item that the Bomb fate near Costa del Sol was dropping is the currency for the event? If so, woo-hoo for being a packrat.

It is, all that's for sale is a bunch of bathing suits and some sparklers. At least that's all there was this morning. Maybe more later?

• MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    Just did Titan last night as White Mage. Wiped twice, my DRG brother was dead at the end due to getting hit by Landslide "by his ass". He tried to run through the boss to avoid the AoE and he still got hit. He got credit though. A bit buggy if you're off the cliff at the end of that one, as he had to wait for the instance to time out before he would get released. We had no way to Raise him and he had no button to push to respawn.

On the second attempt I also got Landslided when I thought I was out of the way.

It was the first group I could use my shiny new Regen on, and boy did it ever work. That spell is god damned KEY, since the whole party is nearly always taking damage. I'd hope the Scholar shields could hold up as well, not sure how that fight would play out with a Scholar healing. I'm sure fine, just I'll never see it.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Menasor wrote: »
    Just did Titan last night as White Mage. Wiped twice, my DRG brother was dead at the end due to getting hit by Landslide "by his ass". He tried to run through the boss to avoid the AoE and he still got hit. He got credit though. A bit buggy if you're off the cliff at the end of that one, as he had to wait for the instance to time out before he would get released. We had no way to Raise him and he had no button to push to respawn.

On the second attempt I also got Landslided when I thought I was out of the way.

It was the first group I could use my shiny new Regen on, and boy did it ever work. That spell is god damned KEY, since the whole party is nearly always taking damage. I'd hope the Scholar shields could hold up as well, not sure how that fight would play out with a Scholar healing. I'm sure fine, just I'll never see it.

Medica works just as well, though it's a bit less efficient. Due to hilarious oversight on my part, I didn't pick up regen until level 43, and though it is unquestionably awesome, it is never strictly necessary (before then at least).

• MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    I was also using Medica, right after the big slam down especially. I was using Surecast and then timing it so Medica would go off right after we all got hit.

I think I would have gone OOM if I had to use Medica too much. Also, having to cast it for 3 seconds is not great, where you can Regen on the run. Are you putting any of your discretionary points into Piety? I have 3 in there and I'm not sure they help, the rest are in Mind. Piety on gear is hard to get too, food seems like the best source of it. I'm wondering if I'm overspeccing on Mind.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
This discussion has been closed.