As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dell Inspiron 1720 - Tips and advice

AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm looking to buy a new laptop and hoping to keep it under $2000 Canadian. The Dell Inspiron has drawn my eye, and I was wondering if anyone else has bought this one. Do you like it? Also does anyone know if it's possible to format it and install Windows XP? (It comes with Vista.) Does XP have any limitation on RAM? I was thinking about going for the 4 gig option, but it won't do me much good if XP can't handle it.

Also, Vista Home Premium or Business?

Failing all that, what else does G&T recommend?

SpidermanSig.jpg
AlienCowThatMoos on

• KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The 1720 is incredible.

However, I'll tell you this right now: Wait for a few weeks before you order. If you order now, it'll get delayed in manufacturing.

Kami on
  • AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    The 1720 is incredible.

However, I'll tell you this right now: Wait for a few weeks before you order. If you order now, it'll get delayed in manufacturing.

This needs more explanation. Also, if I'm waiting a few weeks, then wouldn't I just be waiting until the manufacturing thing is over, so it would be the same as if I just went ahead and ordered it now?

Oh, and another question: I notice it has only 5400rpm drives available. Is it possible to install 7200rpm drives later? Do they sell laptop drives to consumers? How difficult are they to install?

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Harddrives and RAM are easy to install (unless the RAM slots are under the keyboard, that can be a pain). Are you sure you want to buy such a large and heavy laptop though? What do you plan on using it for?

tofu on
    edited September 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    Harddrives and RAM are easy to install (unless the RAM slots are under the keyboard, that can be a pain). Are you sure you want to buy such a large and heavy laptop though? What do you plan on using it for?

Complete desktop replacement. My job sends me out of town frequently and I like sitting in a comfy chair with my pc, not at a desk. I like games, but I virtually never play anything new on my PC. WarCraft 3 is the newest game I play.

It needs to be a 17" because I like having a number pad on the right side of the keyboard.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    tofu wrote: »

Complete desktop replacement. My job sends me out of town frequently and I like sitting in a comfy chair with my pc, not at a desk. I like games, but I virtually never play anything new on my PC. WarCraft 3 is the newest game I play.

It needs to be a 17" because I like having a number pad on the right side of the keyboard.
    just in case you didn't know, you won't be sitting on a comfy chair with a DTR laptop like the 1720 unless you have something to set it on, if you set it directly on your lap you'll block fans and with how much heat they put out bad things happen..And 4 gigs is pretty pointless with XP 32 bit, so stick with 2

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Alright, as long as you know what you're getting into. I know a lot of people that buy bighuge laptops and regret it later.

If I were you I'd buy the Vostro 1700 rather than the Inspiron 1720. It's basically the same but it's all black and you buy it from the small business department. This means you get to deal with the superior small business customer/technical support and last time I checked the Vostros were cheaper than their Insprion counterparts.

tofu on
    edited September 2007
    Hmm, the Vostro doesn't specify if the screen is glossy or anti-glare. The Inspiron lets me choose. Since I don't want to be staring at a mirror all day I want the anti-glare version.

Actually a lot of the options are different. Are you sure this is the same model?

I do like Vostro's "don't install any bullshit on my computer" option. Although that may not be an issue if I can format it and install XP. Can I?

Reviews online indicate that the Vostro and Inspiron's vents are on the side, not the bottom so it should be good for lap top use. Can anyone confirm that?

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Reviews online indicate that the Vostro and Inspiron's vents are on the side, not the bottom so it should be good for lap top use. Can anyone confirm that?

Have you used a 17" laptop on your lap before? If so, and it's fine, then disregard this as pointless worry. It's really just not made for comfortable lap use, though. Hate to chime in the same place as others, but I think we just want to make sure you know that a beastly laptop can really be a burden.

A 15.4 inch widescreen notebook is pretty ideal for the right combination of ample screen size and mobility.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
    edited September 2007
    Hewn wrote: »

Have you used a 17" laptop on your lap before? If so, and it's fine, then disregard this as pointless worry. It's really just not made for comfortable lap use, though. Hate to chime in the same place as others, but I think we just want to make sure you know that a beastly laptop can really be a burden.

A 15.4 inch widescreen notebook is pretty ideal for the right combination of ample screen size and mobility.

Hmm, your concerns are noted and probably wise. I'm going to have to check out the display models at the Dell kiosk.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Absolutely. The best way to see what works for you is to go pick them up and try them out, if possible.

I did this in an Apple Store with the Macbook, picking it up to feel the weight. Protip: when you lift a Macbook in an Apple Store, the loudest siren you've ever heard goes off throughout the entire store. So you know, folks, be aware of that so you don't shit your pants like I did.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf