As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Ghosts and Coblyns coming next week!

DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi KisaragiRegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in MMO Extravaganza
XLJU5.png

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. (A Game Remade)

For those who don't know, Final Fantasy XIV originally released in September 2010 and was.... well it was basically a train wreck.

Despite stunning visuals and an interesting story the game itself was lacking mechanically. The UI was broken and sluggish, the combat was unresponsive and stiff, the world was bland and sparse, and the quests outside of the story were forgettable and dull. They tried for awhile to stem the bleeding by putting out some content patches and trying to fix a lot of the issues, but the game was on it's death rattle and had barely even begun.

However, instead of just cutting their losses and leaving the game to hobble on and eventually die, Square-Enix decided to take a different approach...

They hired Naoki Yoshida.
PJKSxLb.jpg

Mr. Yoshida (Known as Yoshi_P) took over the project and it was decided that instead of trying to fix the current game. They would just make a new one.

This one.

And it's a damned good thing they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h542YbZuwkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wy1S866A0E

So now we have a game with Stunning visuals, combat that is fun and engaging, a world that is full of life and secrets to be found, quests that are plentiful in number and each with it's own interesting little story to be told. Oh and Chocobos that actually fight along side you, Magitech that you can eventually ride and battle with, and generally everything that we wanted in the first game.
News

Ghosts and Coblyns!

We've gotten a sneak peak at the Halloween event starting next week!

ycXZBgZ.jpg

So far the PA crowd (or anyone who wants to plays with us) will be gathering on the Sargatanas (Legacy) server

FFXIV: ARR Client download

Note: This is just the Launcher download. You MUST use the new launcher as the older beta launchers will NOT work. It is safe to delete your old Beta 3 installation as it will no longer work anyways. This Launcher will work in Beta 4, Early Access, and Release.
Greg USN wrote: »
Also this:

JP20130813_1.jpgJP20130813_2.jpg

Come on, who doesn't want some snazzy Chocobos with hats?

NOTE: If you are experiencing Cutscenes that are cut in half (The top or bottom part is black) you need to uninstall the Windows Security Update KB2803821 until Microsoft releases a fix.

Pre-order site is up! Enter your retail code at preorder.na.finalfantasyxiv.com (or preorder.eu.finalfantasyxiv.com for EU folks)

Pre Patch Preview for Patch 2.1!

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/000494.html

09/20/2013
Greetings, all!
Bayohne here, with some exciting updates from the recent FFXIV stage show at the Tokyo Game Show!
The team showed off some exciting content planned for patch 2.1!
(Keep in mind some terminologies may change before release...)

New Primal Battle: Good King Moggle Mog XII
Extreme Mode Primal Battles
New Dungeons

- Two Hard Mode Dungeons
- Brand New Dungeon: Pharos Sirius
2.1_1.jpg

The Crystal Tower
2.1_2.jpg

Housing
2.1_3.jpg

The Wolves' Den
2.1_4.jpg

Treasure Hunting
Hard Mode Boss Battles
Beastmen Daily Quests
Duty Finder - Random Matching System

Look out for patch 2.1 this year! I can't wait!
- Bayohne

Where do I get the Earrings that our server won at the 2013 Tokyo Gaming Show?!

na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/9415e4e5ee6394a51b601d2cc57f314bef355b3e

You can buy them for 1 gil from Itinerent Moogles at the following locations starting on Oct 15 and lasting until the releases of patch 2.1

Limsa Lominsa Upper Decks
(X:8, Y:13)

Old Gridania
(X:10, Y:6)

Ul'dah: Merchant's Strip - Steps of Thal
(X:11, Y:11)

NNID: delphinidaes
Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
delphinidaes.png
Delphinidaes on

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Races:

All the races from FFXI are back with new names and the addition of a couple new genders! All info is from the official FFXIV: ARR website.
    Hyur:
    bw4YPnO.png
    Over the course of some one thousand years and three great migratory waves, the Hyur have come to be the most populous of the civilized races in Eorzea. Compared to the others, theirs is an average physique, both in terms of height and build. The Hyur champion personal freedom and liberty, and their espousal of an eclectic variety of languages and traditions is a legacy of their diverse heritage―as is their resulting lack of a unified cultural identity.

The Hyur are divided into the Midlanders and the Highlanders.

Hyur Naming Conventions
    Miqo'te:
    Irvdaqh.png
    Though their presence in Eorzea is lesser than that of the other races, the Miqo'te are easily distinguished by their large, projecting ears and restless, feline tails. The ancestors of this line first made their way to the realm during the Age of Endless Frost in the Fifth Umbral Era, traversing frozen seas in pursuit of the wildlife upon which they subsisted. Instinctual territoriality causes many among them to lead solitary lifestyles. Males in particular are said to shy from contact with others.

They are divided into the Seekers of the Sun, and the Keepers of the Moon.

Miqo'te Naming Conventions
    Elezen:
    r6NSyXE.png
    The Elezen are a characteristically tall people, long of limb and slender of build. They are also possessed of a somewhat extended lifespan in comparison to the Hyur. The Elezen once claimed sole dominion over Eorzea, their presence predating that of the other races, and, as such, developed a heightened sense of honor and pride. In years past, the Hyur migration into Elezen lands sparked bitter conflict. At present, however, the mutual understanding reached between the two races allows them to work towards mutual peace and prosperity.

The Elezen are divided into the Wildwood, and the Duskwight.

Elezen Naming Conventions
    Roegadyn:
    RA4zB3L.png
    The Roegadyn are easily identified by their massive, muscular frames. They are descended from a maritime people that roamed the northern seas, though many of their ancestors turned their longships south to brave the crossing into Eorzean waters. Often considered a barbaric race, the fiercely competitive Roegadyn are also known for their compassion and unswerving loyalty. Many of the greatest warriors in history were born of Roegadyn stock.

The Roegadyn are divided into the Sea Wolves, and the Hellsguard.

Roegadyn Naming Conventions
    Lalafell:
    C65FkC7.png
    The Lalafell are a folk both rotund and diminutive. Small by any race's standards and possessed of a childlike countenance, it proves difficult for non-Lalafell to gauge an individual's age with any degree of accuracy. Originally an agricultural people inhabiting the fertile islands of the south seas, they found their way to Eorzea via the burgeoning trade routes. Lalafell are welcoming of outsiders, and share prosperous relations with all of the other races of Eorzea.

The Lalafell are divided into the Plainsfolk and the Dunesfolk.

Lalafell Naming conventions

Classes: (Letter in parenthesis designates the city in which each Class has it's guild. Cities are Gridania (G), Limsa Lominsa (L), and Ul'dah (U)

*Note: Only the Disciples of War/Magic are available as a starting class. The Disciples of Hand/Land can be switched to once you unlock the ability to change class around lvl 10.

In FFXIV: ARR your character is able to access any and all classes and jobs that exist within the game. Unlike most other MMOs where you choose a single class at the start and are stuck with that Class throughout the game, FFXIV: ARR allows you to change your Class at will once you unlock the ability to do so by taking your starting Class to level 10 and completing the appropriate quest.

Each Class in FFXIV: ARR is leveled separately and retains any and all XP you gain on that Class when you switch. This means if you start as a Marauder and take it to level 15 and switch to Conjurer, your Marauder Class remains level 15 and you are now a level 1 Conjurer. If you play your Conjurer for awhile get to level 4 or so and decide to switch back to Marauder you are now a lvl 15 Marauder again and your Conjurer remains at level 4.

To switch your class (after completing the unlock quest) you simply seek out the desired Class Guild and speak to the Guild Receptionist who will give you a quest to speak to the Guildmaster. Upon speaking to the Guildmaster you will receive a weapon/tool appropriate to the desired Class and by equipping that weapon/toll you will transform into that Class.

The nice thing about having the ability to change your Class is that you are able to unlock abilities on each Class that you can then carry over to other Classes. Want a Lancer that can Cure? How about an Archer with Second Wind? Maybe a nice Parry buff on your Gladiator? All of this is possible by leveling up the appropriate Class that has the ability you want and then switch to the Class you want to use it on and set the ability you want from the Skills menu.

Jobs
    Jobs are a bit different as they are extensions of certain Classes. Once you reach the requisite level of the appropriate Classes (usually around lvl 30) you can unlock the Job associated with that Class or Classes. A Job is a more specialized version of the Class or Classes that it is associated with. A Conjurer for example can become a White Mage, and a Pugilist can become a Monk. Each Job has it's own requirements that must be met before you can unlock it.

The Jobs and their Class requirements:
    • Bard = 30 Archer / 15 Pugilist
    • Summoner = 30 Arcanist / 15 Thaumaturge
    • Scholar = 30 Arcanist / 15 Conjurer
    • Dragoon = 30 Lancer / 15 Marauder
    • Black Mage = 30 Thaumaturge / 15 Archer
    • White Mage = 30 Conjurer / 15 Arcanist
    • Monk = 30 Pugilist / 15 Lancer
    • Warrior = 30 Marauder / 15 Gladiator
    • Paladin = 30 Gladiator / 15 Conjurer

Travel
    With a world as large as Eorzea, getting around can be a daunting task. Luckily in FFXIV: ARR you have a variety of travel services you can utilize to ease the burden of travel.
    • Mounts: It just wouldn't be a Final Fantasy game without Chocobos. And luckily we not only get to ride them, but we get to fight alongside them as well. Don't worry if you aren't a fan of Chocobos though, because there will be a variety of mounts you can ride including Coeurls, Gobbue (only if you got it in Legacy?), Magitech armor, and more. Not only will you be able to ride, but you'll also be able to outfit your mounts with various cosmetic armors.

The basic mount will be your Chocobo, which you can get access to around lvl 20 via the main storyline. Before then however you can still hire out chocobos from your local Chocoporters who are more than happy to lend you a chocobo for a paltry fee.

• Teleport: This is how you will get around in a hurry, however it is also the most expensive way to travel so you pay for the convenience. Eorzea is littered with Aetheryte Crystals (conveniently located in most major Camps and Cities). Once you have reached an Aetheryte Crystal you can attune to it, effectively adding it to your list of available teleport locations. Teleport itself has no cooldown, but as I mentioned before can be a bit pricey if you use it a lot. On the plus side however when you do activate Teleport anyone in your party in the same zone as you will also be able to tag along, provided they have already attuned to the destination Crystal.

Note: You can register 3 Aetheryte Crystals as your 'Favored' locations which drastically reduces the amount of Gil it costs to teleport to them.

• Return: Return is like your classic hearthstone. You can set an Aetheryte Crystal as your 'Home Point' (an option upon selecting the Crystal) and when you use your Return spell it will take you there instantly and for no fee. However it is on a 15 minute cooldown.

• Ferries: Around Eorzea you will find many Ferries that link various Zones together. For a small fee you can ride these Ferries to make travel a bit easier.

• Airships: Upon clearing the prerequisite Story quests at lvl 15 you will be granted an Airship pass which will allow you to travel between the major Cities of Gridania, Ul'dah, and Limsa Lominsa for a nominal fee. This is cheaper than using Teleport but is much more restrictive in terms of usage since you can only use Airships from the Airship ports themselves in each city.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    PA Community Info

Server:
    Sargatanas (Legacy) NA

Both PS3 and PC players play on the exact same servers with eachother.

Get the current Server Status from www.arrstatus.com

Free Company
    Ghost in the Linkshell (gitl.enjin.com)

If you need an invite to the Free Company just message one of the following people in game using /tell and let them know you are from the PA forum

Sionnach Rua
    Petra Ironheart
    Delphi Kisaragi
    Treave Blackthorn
    Heidi Heterodyne
    Chipper Ulven

or anybody currently in the FC as they all have rights to invite. The above names however are familiar with the invite process and should be easier to access.

PA Linkshells:

Omega Hares: /tell Delphi Kisaragi, Cessa Stormwall, Spawn Broker, or Sionnach Rua to get an invite.

If you've made a PA Linkshell let me know so I can add it to this list!

Voice Chat

Update:
    Greg USN wrote:
    I talked with a lot of people yesterday and we concluded that perhaps, sharing the current Raidcall Channel (being used by Penny-Arcade Tera fans and some League of Legends players) was not the best idea. It was for this reason that last night we created a new Raidcall channel specifically for this Game/FC. This will alleviate the clutter of having three plus games share one RC Channel as well as eliminate the "WANG" name (which i know some folks are not too fond of). There is a downside though, as the new channel is not sponsored by Raidcall we will lose the oppertunity to raise money for Child's Play through channel use. @Lloye and I talked about that and he told me that he will help us work with the RC team so we can attempt to obtain sponsorship.

Raidcall (New info!)
    • Download the software at www.raidcall.com
    • After installing it and such, You need to search for "6871673" or "Ghost in the Linkshell" and in the application message to apply to the group make sure to put "PA FFXIV".
    • Note: once you're in the group, to change your displayed name, right click yourself and select change Membership Name

Ventrillo info:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/39448/pa-forums-ventrilo-server-there-s-also-a-teamspeak-server/p1

Item Requisition

Looking for a specific item to be crafted? Want to post that you have a great item people can use? Try the GITL Item Requisition service!

http://ghosts.codechaos.me/

Good Info to Know

Regarding Tab Targeting

This guide demystifies the targeting system and makes tab targeting much more useful. Also has info for Controller setups as well.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1knlxo/demystifying_targeting_and_filters_a_keyboard_and/

When do I unlock ___________ ?
    S2nuOgK.jpg

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    I love the smell of new thread in the morning.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So insomnia struck and I got some time to play at 4AM this morning. Ran Stone Vigil (pretty fun) and got almost to level 42 before running out of quests. Before grinding out the rest of that level I decided to take some time to level a crafting skill and unlock materia stuff since I should have been doing that long ago.

I've done Leatherworking since I'm a lancer. But my question is: that scale mail that Dragoons can equip, is that an armorcrafting type of armor or leatherwork?

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    All of my scale lists Armorer for repairs. I'm assuming this means Armorer is for Dragoon not Leatherworking. I too started leveling Leatherworking for my Dragoon before I got my AF armor and noticed repairs required Armoer.

• Options
    SaboSabo Registered User regular
    Don't forget to start using the Guild website: http://gitl.enjin.com

It's so hard to keep up with this thread and play the game at the same time. :evil:

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    its easy to keep up with the thread while oyu patiently wait for GMG to start selling the game again :(

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Is there any strong benefit to crafting while leveling your first 50? I got to 35 on my WHM and took a break to gather/craft a bit, but I realized I'd have to keep up with at least botany and weaving (if not another class) just to keep up. It seems like something I should do after I get a guy to 50, but I'm unsure of the perks.

I can't even get excited about beating Titan. 3 or 4 different groups, 20+ tries, just barely squeaked it out, totally drained of mana as a WHM (I think shroud will help at 38). It's done, but man, throw me a reward or somethin'. =P

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Cirira wrote: »
    All of my scale lists Armorer for repairs. I'm assuming this means Armorer is for Dragoon not Leatherworking. I too started leveling Leatherworking for my Dragoon before I got my AF armor and noticed repairs required Armoer.

For repairs? Pretty sure yeah. But to level Armor Smithing you're probably going to want to level a number of other gathering and trade skill classes as well.

• Options
    Julien MarcheJulien Marche Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    So, I want to talk about the thunderstorms in this game. I touched on it briefly in chat last night, but wanted to go in to it with a little more detail since I have the time. I am EXTREMELY impressed with them. For reasons.

I am currently deployed in Afghanistan right now, but manage a decent Wi-Fi connection on my laptop from my bunk. I have been getting a day off for the last couple weeks, and I spent it yesterday playing this game. I normally play with headphones on and a gamepad while in my bunk. Now that the setting is out of the way; I can relay my experience.

Last night I got my hands on a camp chair, and I was playing with my laptop on a stack of books on my bed while I enjoyed the luxuries of said chair. I zoned in to an area that had a storm going on (my first time). Right as I was walking in there was a crack of lightning followed by the thunder. I promptly dropped out of my chair and hit the deck, because it sounded like a rocket attack. Shit was loud. My volume is at a modest level so I can enjoy the music and SFX in the game, but my headphones allowed the thunder to scare the poopers out of me.

Since I spent my entire time in that area flinching and jumping at the storm, I would say it did a great job of creating an immersive atmosphere. The end.

Julien Marche on
    I like apple dumplings.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Karrmer wrote: »
    A lot of the top guild players really are blacklisting people for ending Dark Devices early and such, but if you aren't in there grinding it yourself you won't ever be in their guild and you probably don't give a shit.

And this is a game where raids are instances, it's not like it's 1999 EverQuest so let the ragers cry about it and keep killing the lambs. It makes me laugh pretty hard when they all start raging in chat, at least.
    Well...actually, don't forget that you can't Duty Finder some of the endgame content. It's not an idle threat to be blacklisted if your server is small if they actually could enforce it.
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    You can reset skills, so I wouldn't panic over it too much. 10k GC seals is expensive, but if you hammer fates pretty hard, which personally I find to be a great way to level, and one of the primary ways to level if you're on your second adventuring class, you'll have faaaaar more than that.

I think I earned about 35k just leveling my first adventuring class and I'm still 48.
    You're, um, a bit short on gil. Did you teleport a ton?

When hitting 50 fresh you should be sitting on ~125k IMO. (And then you get in the face for relic weapon costs and go broke, but that's another thing entirely.)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Cirira wrote: »

For repairs? Pretty sure yeah. But to level Armor Smithing you're probably going to want to level a number of other gathering and trade skill classes as well.

I had meant that as a reply to Dissociater since he was asking about LW vs Armorer for a Dragoon.

I also had about 240k when I hit 50 on my Dragoon. I pretty much only leveled the one class and did minimal tradeskilling.

My Relic Weapon cost on the AH is ridiculous. It's 80k for the weapon and 50-60k per materia. If I bought the entire thing I'd be down to 40k gil. I picked up Botany due to the costs.

Cirira on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So when I'm questing an get offered some gear, and I don't need whatever DoW style piece is being offered on my archer, should I take the allegans or get the DoM style piece for when I start leveling a caster class? Will there be non vendor sources of that gear while I'm leveling? I suppose definitely if I go from a different starting city there will be.

Also, if there is a guildhest that says it's near Tam--Tara, does that really mean in, or is it it's own separate thing and I'll have other ways to get in the instance? I think I'm just shy storyquest wise of where it might be telling me to go there so maybe this question is in fact foolish.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    That's 35k grand company seals.

I have about 50k cash, but have not sold any of my cash item quest reward pieces (the bronze/silver/gold bits) I have found, by the way, that with a little research, you can make quite a bit more taking the equipment reward pieces and selling it on the AH. Cash reward might be 2500, but the piece may sell on the ah for closer to 5000.

Check first for sure though if you are thinking of doing it, because many items also AH for a tenth of the cash reward.

You get the idea. Something to keep in mind, as the game seems to like to give multiple copies of the same reward gear.

• Options
    So when I'm questing an get offered some gear, and I don't need whatever DoW style piece is being offered on my archer, should I take the allegans or get the DoM style piece for when I start leveling a caster class? Will there be non vendor sources of that gear while I'm leveling? I suppose definitely if I go from a different starting city there will be.

Also, if there is a guildhest that says it's near Tam--Tara, does that really mean in, or is it it's own separate thing and I'll have other ways to get in the instance? I think I'm just shy storyquest wise of where it might be telling me to go there so maybe this question is in fact foolish.

I say get the allegans because you can always run dungeons for good gear for your caster, or have a buddy craft some level appropriate stuff later on.

That's what I'm doing at least.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    One thing I found that helps for gil, while leveling, is to not need any of the gear from quests. I.E. I run dungeons a few times hoping to get some pink/green drops, that last longer than the white quest gear. So when gear pops up in a quest I can virtually always take the gold instead. Now, some of that gear can possibly market for more than the gold; but you'd have to check (which is a pain) and since it's all crafted too, you're probably just better off taking the gold anyway. I'm level 42 or something and have like 150k (granted I had 30k coming in from 1.0) and I teleport a lot. I could probably have well over 200k if I didn't; plus I have spent a decent bit on just buying Plundered gear to have for alt classes. And I have whole regions I haven't touched quests on.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    So I am recovered enough to discuss last night...

Last night me, Big Bro(work friend) and The Cexikiten made a go at Stone Vigil. That last boss... I dunno if I was just playing terrible or is that boss actually really hard? I mean, we made three goes at it and almost got it the last time, but out BLM used the Limit Break so the timer ran out...

Long story short, am I a terrible WHM? :(

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    Why would the BLM using the limit break be a problem? Who should have used it? Just for my own education.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    So I am recovered enough to discuss last night...

Last night me, Big Bro(work friend) and The Cexikiten made a go at Stone Vigil. That last boss... I dunno if I was just playing terrible or is that boss actually really hard? I mean, we made three goes at it and almost got it the last time, but out BLM used the Limit Break so the timer ran out...

Long story short, am I a terrible WHM? :(

The entire Stone Vigil dungeon is all about the DPS. From killing the bees quick enough, to downing the golem during the burn phase, to popping the shards in time on the last boss.

As a healer you shouldn't have much trouble since most of the damage is avoidable (Stop getting hit by lasers, get out of the giant Golem AoE, cleanse the Doom, etc)

Same for the Tank, all the bosses are pretty straightforward for tanking.

The things I see causing failures the most in Stone Vigil is not getting the bees killed in time (DPS), not dropping the shards quick enough on the last boss (DPS), or not dodging the lasers enough (everyone).

The last boss in particular is pretty easy if you have strong DPS and positioning. As a healer you need to stay out of the squares that spawn later on (so does the Tank), and the DPS needs to run IN to the squares and burst down the shard inside before it unleashes massive AoE on everyone. The DPS also need to drop the laser firing Shards quickly so they stop firing lasers.

The Tank doesn't really need to move the entire fight aside from avoiding the lasers, same with the healer.

Oh and the DPS need to kill the faces on the tiles or they come back.

If your DPS is lacking you'll starting having compounding issues (More lasers, AoE bursts, faces running around attacking stuff, etc) which will cause your job as a healer to quickly become unmanageable.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Menasor wrote: »
    Why would the BLM using the limit break be a problem? Who should have used it? Just for my own education.

BLM Limit Break is an AOE, so when you are only fighting one mob it's not super effective. Now the Melee DPS Limit Breaks are single target and thus do more damage when only fighting one mob.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular

BLM Limit Break is an AOE, so when you are only fighting one mob it's not super effective. Now the Melee DPS Limit Breaks are single target and thus do more damage when only fighting one mob.

Right on. Just wasn't sure what the scenario was in this case. I've never seen anything but the Braver limit be used. Maybe a tank used one once, but I didn't see the effects.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options

As a BLM who constantly gets paired with SMN's and other BLM's in the duty finder, in the extremely rare occurrence that I get paired with a melee DPS, they almost never have any idea what a Limit Break is or how to use it.

Better to use it as a BLM than not at all.

On that note, what the hell is the deal with the complete lack of DoW dps's in the duty finder? It makes trying to get gear obnoxious as shit when you're competing with the healer and the other dps (and the tank is just happily taking everything DoW that drops). I'm not sure if the system is set up to actively seek to break up roles for that purpose.

• Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    So this bomb/summer event :

-- what level range(s) can participate?
    -- how do you get the bomb ash or whatever?
    -- is it a tag-a-certain-mob-faster-than-everyone-else thing? Or something that everyone can do and not stress over?

At work for another probably 6-7 hours, so living vicariously here.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Might just be a dearth of Melee.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    That's 35k grand company seals.

I have about 50k cash, but have not sold any of my cash item quest reward pieces (the bronze/silver/gold bits) I have found, by the way, that with a little research, you can make quite a bit more taking the equipment reward pieces and selling it on the AH. Cash reward might be 2500, but the piece may sell on the ah for closer to 5000.

Check first for sure though if you are thinking of doing it, because many items also AH for a tenth of the cash reward.

You get the idea. Something to keep in mind, as the game seems to like to give multiple copies of the same reward gear.

Ah, I'm still like level 14, so I guess I'll just grab the gil then.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    I'm possibly in the market for a new MMO. I've never played a Final Fantasy game - will this be an issue? I also play mostly solo as I have no friends - will this be an issue? Finally, I can't see it on Steam, any chance it is coming there?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    On that note, what the hell is the deal with the complete lack of DoW dps's in the duty finder?

I think it comes down to melee dps having more issues with physical placement. Ranged dps has more options o where to stand.

• Options
    So this bomb/summer event :

-- what level range(s) can participate?
    -- how do you get the bomb ash or whatever?
    -- is it a tag-a-certain-mob-faster-than-everyone-else thing? Or something that everyone can do and not stress over?

At work for another probably 6-7 hours, so living vicariously here.

Well the 1.0 version, pretty much anyone could participate. You'd just have to tag the bombs that spawned and get their ashes (got more from the 'king' or whatever iirc), then turn them in for items from the vendor. I haven't logged to check, but before the only real notable items were the swimsuits. I already have mine from last time, so I'll have to see if there's anything worth getting.

I wish you could dress up your retainers. Because reasons.

• Options
    XerephXereph Registered User regular
    The entire Stone Vigil dungeon is all about the DPS. From killing the bees quick enough, to downing the golem during the burn phase, to popping the shards in time on the last boss.

As a healer you shouldn't have much trouble since most of the damage is avoidable (Stop getting hit by lasers, get out of the giant Golem AoE, cleanse the Doom, etc)

The things I see causing failures the most in Stone Vigil is not getting the bees killed in time (DPS), not dropping the shards quick enough on the last boss (DPS), or not dodging the lasers enough (everyone).

The last boss in particular is pretty easy if you have strong DPS and positioning. As a healer you need to stay out of the squares that spawn later on (so does the Tank), and the DPS needs to run IN to the squares and burst down the shard inside before it unleashes massive AoE on everyone. The DPS also need to drop the laser firing Shards quickly so they stop firing lasers.

The Tank doesn't really need to move the entire fight aside from avoiding the lasers, same with the healer.

If your DPS is lacking you'll starting having compounding issues (More lasers, AoE bursts, faces running around attacking stuff, etc) which will cause your job as a healer to quickly become unmanageable.

That sounds more like Sunken Temple than SV

PSN - Xereph
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I was hoping they'd open up sales after the weekend with all their talk of stability and such.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Xereph wrote: »

That sounds more like Sunken Temple than SV

Whoooops, yup I always get the two confused.

Which one was Stone vigil again?

*Edit* Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that one.

Ok that one is just a pain in the ass.

First boss isn't too bad, you just have to be on the ball and keep constant heals on the boss because of the burning frontal AoE. Also he moves to a wall and does a big cone AoE that you need to avoid (no indicators, just move to his side to avoid it)

Second boss is lots of damage on everyone, but the DPS need to be on the cannons to take down the flying dragon, even if they get the cannon as soon as they are able the dragon always gets one shot off which is aoe damage on everyone. Also stay out of the tornados.

Third boss is a pain because it's basically constant movement, stay out of the Ice rings (they stick around awhile after landing) and watch for when the dragon flies up because he'll fill 1/3rd of the room with a giant flyby AE. At one point he flies up, peppers the ground with ice rings, and THEN does a fly by which can wipe the party if people end up in a bad spot.

That dungeon is tough on a healer because there is a lot of damage flying around, and if people are out of position even a little bit they take large chunks of damage.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

TRAP DRAGON

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Muppetman wrote: »
    I'm possibly in the market for a new MMO. I've never played a Final Fantasy game - will this be an issue? I also play mostly solo as I have no friends - will this be an issue? Finally, I can't see it on Steam, any chance it is coming there?

The majority of FF games have no connection to each other, including this one. However a lot of this game is a love letter to the past games. References to things like Magitech, Moogles delivering mail, seeing Judge armor, and certain pieces of music that just bring a grin to my face due to nostalgia would simply be pieces of this game world to you.

Playing solo is only an issue for some quests that require you to run dungeons. You can solve that by waiting in the queue for a PUG to form, or by joining Ghosts in the Linkshell, who are very friendly and helpful in running people through dungeons.

It will almost certainly not come out on Steam. Also, there is no digital version to buy because this game blew up (in a good way) beyond all Square expectations and they removed digital sales while trying to get everything back under control. You'll also be lucky to find a boxed copy for PC, as most stores are only getting one or two copies at a time.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hi new thread!

So, I'm really enjoying this game a ton, I started on Saturday with a few former Arcadians on Framfir (or something like that anyways) and we've been having a blast.

I took a archer to 15 and then switched to Thaumaturge and have taken that to 10 (plan is to take that to 30 and then switch to Black Mage) BUT I have a big question.

I did all the starter quests in the Archer area and have no switched cities to the Thaumaturge area and done all the available quests I can but that has only taken me to level 10. There are no main story quests here as I've done them already and I seem to be out of things to do, how do I get my next 5 levels (once hit 15 I can switch back to the main story and I assume open up lots more stuff).

Really confused how to progress at this point as there appears to be nothing else for me to do which is damned odd as there were way more side quests in my original area.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Working on my Relic Weapon quest (Paladin). Don't really feel like spending 50k+ per Battledance III. Anyone have any idea what items convert to that. It would probably be easier for me to bind an item and convert it than to earn the money to buy them.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Are there a lot of PA forum-goers on Sarganatas?

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Rend wrote: »

TRAP DRAGON

Yup, We actually did a GHOST Fresh run of Stone Vigil where it was us trying to figure it out with no prior knowledge.

**WARNING! STORY SPOILERS WITHIN!** http://www.twitch.tv/delphinidaes/c/2884957 **WARNING! STORY SPOILERS WITHIN!**

I thought it ended up pretty entertaining.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Hi new thread!

So, I'm really enjoying this game a ton, I started on Saturday with a few former Arcadians on Framfir (or something like that anyways) and we've been having a blast.

I took a archer to 15 and then switched to Thaumaturge and have taken that to 10 (plan is to take that to 30 and then switch to Black Mage) BUT I have a big question.

I did all the starter quests in the Archer area and have no switched cities to the Thaumaturge area and done all the available quests I can but that has only taken me to level 10. There are no main story quests here as I've done them already and I seem to be out of things to do, how do I get my next 5 levels (once hit 15 I can switch back to the main story and I assume open up lots more stuff).

Really confused how to progress at this point as there appears to be nothing else for me to do which is damned odd as there were way more side quests in my original area.

A lot of times side quests are locked behind story quests. I.E. in some areas it might look like you've completed all the quests, but if you get story quests passing through there it tends to unlock more side quests.

Not always, but often.

Besides that, though, Leves, FATES and hunting logs (and dungeons when you get there) are the best ways to fill in the gaps. And more than likely, even on your first class to 50, there'll be gaps. Personally I just beeline to every FATE I see, sometimes it ends me up a bit overleveled, but hey, not a big deal.

Though, possibly, wait till you unlock your Grand Company before you hit the FATES too hard because they're a really good source of company seals.

But long story short, just keep pushing the story quests, let them drive you.

Having said that though, you shouldn't have stopped getting quests already at 10 in a new region. Check everywhere, sometimes little sidequests you might miss open up more and you might have just missed something.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Ya the problem is I've already done the story quests to level 15 as my archer so now that I'm a level 10 Thaumaturge in the new area there are no story quests there for me so I guess that explains no side quests in this area.

Didn't think of Leves, I'll do that to level 15 hopefully then I can get back on track with the story.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Hi new thread!

basically do your hunting log - guildhests and do any FATE you see. Fates and Leves is what will level you the most.

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
This discussion has been closed.