As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Ghosts and Coblyns coming next week!

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    am0n wrote: »
    Are there a lot of PA forum-goers on Sarganatas?

Oh yes, our Free Company is over 300 members now, most of which are PA forum-goers.

We don't actively recruit, but we do invite anyone who is interested in joining, PA or not.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I did stone vigil this morning with a GHOST tank and two pubs, I was a Dragoon.

I found it easy to be honest. So far all the dungeons have been pretty simple. I've had people there who had done it before and could explain the mechanics though, so that's kind of cheating. But actually executing the fights hasn't been altogether very difficult.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    That's cool. I'll probably re-roll my catgirl on Tuesday or Wednesdays on Sarganatas.

I asked earlier and it sounds like it's still the case that quests are gated (i.e. around 15 you can't get any more quests until you do all 3 dungeons). Do you have to run the dungeons in a specific order (i.e. to run TT you have to do the other one first, otherwise you sit there) still? Or did they make that a bit more flexible?

In regards to what were "solo" quests... did they allow you to bring a buddy? Or are there still gated solo quests?

• Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    I did stone vigil this morning with a GHOST tank and two pubs, I was a Dragoon.

I found it easy to be honest. So far all the dungeons have been pretty simple. I've had people there who had done it before and could explain the mechanics though, so that's kind of cheating. But actually executing the fights hasn't been altogether very difficult.

A few of us did the entire stone vigil with no help from anyone, Delph actually made a recording of it. We figured it out, but the majority of us have been progression raiders for quiet some time. Although I progression healed/DPS'd not tanked. So the tanking thing is new to me.

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    So I am recovered enough to discuss last night...

Last night me, Big Bro(work friend) and The Cexikiten made a go at Stone Vigil. That last boss... I dunno if I was just playing terrible or is that boss actually really hard? I mean, we made three goes at it and almost got it the last time, but out BLM used the Limit Break so the timer ran out...

Long story short, am I a terrible WHM? :(

Delphi is talking about Sunken Temple, so...

Stone Vigil's last boss is the quintessential "don't stand in blue shit" fight. You've got the ice sheets that the boss uses, both on the ground and in the air, and the coating of one section of floor when he's airborne. If you get hit by an ice sheet and he takes off, you need esuna or spine drops because paralysis will get you killed very easily. Nobody's taking two of those stripes in a row and laughing about it later unless they are an exceptionally geared tank. The fight is a bit of a gear check as well thanks to frost breath, but more than that it's an idiot check.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Karrmer wrote: »
    A lot of the top guild players really are blacklisting people for ending Dark Devices early and such, but if you aren't in there grinding it yourself you won't ever be in their guild and you probably don't give a shit.

And this is a game where raids are instances, it's not like it's 1999 EverQuest so let the ragers cry about it and keep killing the lambs. It makes me laugh pretty hard when they all start raging in chat, at least.
    Well...actually, don't forget that you can't Duty Finder some of the endgame content. It's not an idle threat to be blacklisted if your server is small if they actually could enforce it.

No, it's just stupid FF11 elitist assholes coming over to FF14 and using the exploits they learned in beta to try and wiggle their e-peen around. I hope Square Enix bans the lot of them, but more likely than not they'll let them get away with it (again) and just remove all EXP from FATE mobs, meaning you only get EXP for finishing the FATE, not for grinding off the monsters. In other words, the rest of us suffer after the assholes got what they wanted. Oh well.

Edit: Apparently this FATE was nerfed this morning? Hey, maybe they'll actually keep up on this shit this time around?

KiTA on
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    So I am recovered enough to discuss last night...

Last night me, Big Bro(work friend) and The Cexikiten made a go at Stone Vigil. That last boss... I dunno if I was just playing terrible or is that boss actually really hard? I mean, we made three goes at it and almost got it the last time, but out BLM used the Limit Break so the timer ran out...

Long story short, am I a terrible WHM? :(

Delphi is talking about Sunken Temple, so...

Stone Vigil's last boss is the quintessential "don't stand in blue shit" fight. You've got the ice sheets that the boss uses, both on the ground and in the air, and the coating of one section of floor when he's airborne. If you get hit by an ice sheet and he takes off, you need esuna or spine drops because paralysis will get you killed very easily. Nobody's taking two of those stripes in a row and laughing about it later unless they are an exceptionally geared tank. The fight is a bit of a gear check as well thanks to frost breath, but more than that it's an idiot check.

Not sure idiot check would be the right way to phrase things as it makes it seem like people who fail at it are idiots. Its a teaching fight for sure. You really got to watch what you're doing and it becomes a pre-curser to understanding other fights.

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    That's cool. I'll probably re-roll my catgirl on Tuesday or Wednesdays on Sarganatas.

I asked earlier and it sounds like it's still the case that quests are gated (i.e. around 15 you can't get any more quests until you do all 3 dungeons). Do you have to run the dungeons in a specific order (i.e. to run TT you have to do the other one first, otherwise you sit there) still? Or did they make that a bit more flexible?

In regards to what were "solo" quests... did they allow you to bring a buddy? Or are there still gated solo quests?

The dungeons get unlocked as part of the main storyline quest. So yeah you have to run them in a specific order. However there are also a few optional dungeons you can get which are gated by level at which point a quest will become available to you to run the dungeon. Most of those quest givers are located in a small outpost west of the Horizon Aetherstone.

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    Muppetman wrote: »
    I'm possibly in the market for a new MMO. I've never played a Final Fantasy game - will this be an issue? I also play mostly solo as I have no friends - will this be an issue? Finally, I can't see it on Steam, any chance it is coming there?

The game is great, easily worth the money even if you just want to play it as a solo game and make your way through the main storyline, cancel your account and call it a day.

That said, there are a couple hundred Ghosts and we may be the largest guild on the server. Dropoff is always an issue with every PA guild I've been in or heard about, but now is a great time to be a Ghost. People are for the most part friendly and helpful and knowledgeable and I don't know that you can ask for more than that.

Basic manners, don't be a dick, that sort of thing. You'll be welcomed.

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Plus we are fairly active. Sometimes in chat, sometimes in dungeons. Just depends on who is on and can run stuff.

The main thing is always ask. Sometimes we speak up, sometimes we don't. but we have a lot of people playing tanks and healers so the dps members shouldn't have too much of an issue getting a group to run things.

and don't be afraid to ask for crafted items. we have a lot of members that can craft items for your leveling needs. I know I don't see it a lot but it doesn't hurt to ask. We're all fairly helpful as a community.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Ran Halatali last night with a 43 Bard and 32 Bard level synced as my DPS. It was...not fun. Holding agro was basically impossible. Even level synced, they did so much more damage than I could generate enmity. I mean, they were cool about it, they understood, and I was doing my best...but damn.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Ran Halatali last night with a 43 Bard and 32 Bard level synced as my DPS. It was...not fun. Holding agro was basically impossible. Even level synced, they did so much more damage than I could generate enmity. I mean, they were cool about it, they understand, and I was doing my best...but damn.

They should be watching the bars too and holding back on damage to compensate. Right? Just because you can go all-out doesn't mean you should.

• Options
    They probably should have, yes, but they also weren't yelling about it. They knew they were going to pull agro so everyone just shrugged and moved on. I held what I could, and generally they would peel one mob away from me and murder it while I gained enmity on the others.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Menasor wrote: »
    Why would the BLM using the limit break be a problem? Who should have used it? Just for my own education.

BLM Limit Break is an AOE, so when you are only fighting one mob it's not super effective. Now the Melee DPS Limit Breaks are single target and thus do more damage when only fighting one mob.

As a BLM who constantly gets paired with SMN's and other BLM's in the duty finder, in the extremely rare occurrence that I get paired with a melee DPS, they almost never have any idea what a Limit Break is or how to use it.

Better to use it as a BLM than not at all.

On that note, what the hell is the deal with the complete lack of DoW dps's in the duty finder? It makes trying to get gear obnoxious as shit when you're competing with the healer and the other dps (and the tank is just happily taking everything DoW that drops). I'm not sure if the system is set up to actively seek to break up roles for that purpose.

All of the DoW DPS are in my groups, but DoM gear doesn't drop ever. Well, except weapons; I've gotten a new weapon like every dungeon pretty much.

The Duty Finder parties are.... Odd. It does seem to be biased toward people on your server, I run into mostly Cactuar-ians, but class makeup is all sorts of all over the place. I get 2x of a DPS class all the time, frequently Dragoons, and they aren't pre-grouped together. (I'm fairly chatty in dungeons if you can't tell)

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    They probably should have, yes, but they also weren't yelling about it. They knew they were going to pull agro so everyone just shrugged and moved on. I held what I could, and generally they would peel one mob away from me and murder it while I gained enmity on the others.
    You need to mark target's and have them focus one. Single target threat is higher than aoe. The aoe threat is just to keep shit off the healer

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    I am sad that the class/job quests stop giving you weapons after lvl 30. That is a serious pain.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yes, I know how to do it. That wasn't the problem. The problem was a 43 bard and a 32 bard putting out way more DPS than I could possibly keep up with. Even level synced, they were chunking the mobs health and even with Provoke, Flash and Savage Blade there just wasn't any way to keep enough enmity. So we just had a working relationship: They would peel one initial mob while I kept enmity up on the others. This worked out well, it was just painful at first.

This is Halatali we're talking about, and I was level appropriate for it (23).

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Yes, I know how to do it. That wasn't the problem. The problem was a 43 bard and a 32 bard putting out way more DPS than I could possibly keep up with. Even level synced, they were chunking the mobs health and even with Provoke, Flash and Savage Blade there just wasn't anyway to keep enough enmity. So we just had a working relationship: They would peel one initial mob while I kept enmity up on the others. This worked out well, it was just painful at first.

This is Halatali we're talking about, and I was leveling appropriate for it (23).

Provoke is just top enmity+1. So it's only good when someone passes you... Or for long range pulls since it has such a long cast range. Shield lob, flash 4x then savage combo should lock in enough threat for them to then begin dps. But good luck getting dps that will wait a few moments to attack.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    oh crap. i just glanced online to see if anyone received a mysterious package of FFXIVs this morning. so now I have to drive to best buy after work, but hey, i got to put it on my Best Buy card to ignore fiscal responsibility for a month and I had $10 reward credit to use.

checking best buy may or may not be worth it today. only a few of them had stock but yesterday none of them did so YMMV

• Options
    Kafka87 wrote: »
    I am sad that the class/job quests stop giving you weapons after lvl 30. That is a serious pain.

They do, but the Story quests keep giving them in intervals. They typically make you choose between 4 weapon types, and then the other 4 weapon types in the next quest right after the first. I got a couple upgrades that way.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Yes, I know how to do it. That wasn't the problem. The problem was a 43 bard and a 32 bard putting out way more DPS than I could possibly keep up with. Even level synced, they were chunking the mobs health and even with Provoke, Flash and Savage Blade there just wasn't anyway to keep enough enmity. So we just had a working relationship: They would peel one initial mob while I kept enmity up on the others. This worked out well, it was just painful at first.

This is Halatali we're talking about, and I was leveling appropriate for it (23).

Provoke is just top enmity+1. So it's only good when someone passes you... Or for long range pulls since it has such a long cast range. Shield lob, flash 4x then savage combo should lock in enough threat for them to then begin dps. But good luck getting dps that will wait a few moments to attack.

Top enmity + 1 until they hit it again, when it immediately peels off again because in the span of time that was there, I couldn't generate enough + positive enmity to not lose it again immediately.

I have no problems with DPS my level, this is an issue specifically with level synced DPS who don't want to wait 5s for me to get decent agro. More of a warning tale to other tanks: If you get a bunch of level synced DPS, prepare to have a shitty time unless they are willing to be patient.

• Options

Top enmity + 1 until they hit it again, when it immediately peels off again because in the span of time that was there, I couldn't generate enough + positive enmity to not lose it again immediately.

I have no problems with DPS my level, this is an issue specifically with level synced DPS who don't want to wait 5s for me to get decent agro. More of a warning tale to other tanks: If you get a bunch of level synced DPS, prepare to have a shitty time unless they are willing to be patient.

Yeah they really should have been holding off more. Level Sync works great but they still end up pretty powerful compared to the dungeon if they are well geared. I've had to significantly hold back on my DPS when helping out in lower dungeons or I can easily pull off the Tank, even if he is playing perfectly.

The reverse is true of course as well, an Overgeared Tank will be able to hold aggro in a concrete grip while taking very minimal damage, making it incredibly easy for the DPS and Healer.

And an Overgeared Healer is basically another DPS since he doesn't have to spend too much time healing.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular

Yeah they really should have been holding off more. Level Sync works great but they still end up pretty powerful compared to the dungeon if they are well geared. I've had to significantly hold back on my DPS when helping out in lower dungeons or I can easily pull off the Tank, even if he is playing perfectly.

The reverse is true of course as well, an Overgeared Tank will be able to hold aggro in a concrete grip while taking very minimal damage, making it incredibly easy for the DPS and Healer.

And an Overgeared Healer is basically another DPS since he doesn't have to spend too much time healing.

Had a group like that as my last run yesterday in Tam-Tara, both me and the tank were level synced. I was tossing out more stones then cures.

So nice after a PUG run of Copperbell with a tank who was, to be generous, still learning how to both aggro manage and stay out of red zones. Finished most bosses with just DPS. I can't stress this enough, you GHOSTs are good people.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Seeing those event details only makes me wish harder that they incorporated a successor to The Vana'diel Tribune in-game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlrVM_SJk68&amp;list=PL14F4B92FA8975B36&amp;index=59

• Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    And to echo what Delph was saying earlier about asking in guild for assistance with dungeons (especially if you are dps), I'd agree that folks should always poke the guild channel for a group before DFing.

I'm Euro-side so I do tend to keep odder hours than most in the FC, but I'm always happy to help out with providing healing for the lower level dungeons (am Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn - Roe fo' life!) and usually see plenty of others offering to provide tanks/heals when needed.

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I see this event going on is in a 30-35ish zone. Is there any point in going out there as a lvl 11?

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    It is pretty safe to go all out in halatali anyway. I was level synced as a 30 archer and i face tanked thunderclap guiver from 80% to 0% when our tanked die due to standing in the lightning water.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Also I'm not sure if this was ever posted in thread, but regarding the question:

"When do I unlock ________?"

S2nuOgK.jpg

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »

Had a group like that as my last run yesterday in Tam-Tara, both me and the tank were level synced. I was tossing out more stones then cures.

So nice after a PUG run of Copperbell with a tank who was, to be generous, still learning how to both aggro manage and stay out of red zones. Finished most bosses with just DPS. I can't stress this enough, you GHOSTs are good people.

I have to admit, running with the GHOST tank who was numbering targets and directing the battle so that things flowed smoothly was a heck of a lot nicer than running with a PUG tank who couldn't seem to hold agro if the fight lasted longer than 20 seconds.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Also I'm not sure if this was ever posted in thread, but regarding the question:

S2nuOgK.jpg

Thar be Chocobo breeding up in hurr?

What does that get you?

• Options
    edited September 2013
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

S2nuOgK.jpg

Thar be Chocobo breeding up in hurr?

What does that get you?

I think the Chocobo Breeding thing is speculation on the part of whoever made the graphic :D

They had such a thing in FFXI though, might be interesting to see if they bring it back eventually. Though hopefully not how it was in FFXI (Seriously a full 30 days to hatch and raise a chocobo? Nobody has that kind of time anymore :( )

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Robes wrote: »
    It is pretty safe to go all out in halatali anyway. I was level synced as a 30 archer and i face tanked thunderclap guiver from 80% to 0% when our tanked die due to standing in the lightning water.

Yeah...Halatali seemed pretty easy overall. I found Copperbell more difficult.

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    aaaaaaaaa

when you're customizing the HUD, you can press ctrl to snap the selected object to other elements

you can also hold down shift to have it snap to the grid

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So FYI, if you own the PS3 version you get the PS4 version for free when it's released.

I think this means I'll pick up the PS3 version as well so I can play on both. Also you get access to the PS4 beta which is Feb 22nd. Pretty good news, I'd say.

• Options
    That's good to know about the PS3 version. Means I'll probably pick it up now.

• Options

S2nuOgK.jpg

It should also be noted that when someone asks the question : When do I Unlock a Dungeon/get a chocobo/Get an airpass/Get x item

The answer is usually - do your story quest. :D

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    What's funny is usually I don't have tanks marking targets. I'm to the point of thinking of doing it myself just so I can get a repose of on one mob just to cut down on the numbers hitting the tank, but usually we have dps that are eager to clear the dungeon and don't really care about markings/crowd control/etc. Or sometimes I get tanks that just pull everything in sight and expect the healer to keep them up easily enough. In copperbells that's one thing, in thousand maws where some of the mobs can strip large chuncks of health from a avg or undergeared tank, that gets to be a different story.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I have an entire hotbar dedicated to target markings right above my chatbar. It makes tanking sooooo much easier.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    So does this event going on have any benefits outside of getting a swimsuit to walk around in? I'm all for this type of stuff, I just probably won't even mess with this particular one if it's just a swimsuit. I'm more of a holiday dude. =)

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Does the appearance changing bottle allow you to change your name?

This discussion has been closed.