As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2014 Hotel Discussion Thread

mochibunnymochibunny Registered User regular
edited September 2013 in PAX East
Prepare yourselves!

I know it may be 8 months until PAX East, but it's never too early to look into hotel reservations!
The PAX site has not been updated for East 2014 yet so I guess I'll wait for the update before I post the official hotel registration information link.

All I've got right now is an awesome Google spreadsheet from last year's thread, comparing the hotels around the con:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvZ3-Fh1pM0NdFRhV2Fqb2l1T2dGbGJfRDZoaF9RS2c#gid=0
credit to @vttym for this idea ! IT'S AMAZEBALLS

I called Onpeak to ask about the sale time and they said it would be the first week in November. I was told to call back again next month for a more precise date. However, this is an unofficial response and I heard that they could very well put up hotels at an entirely different time.

Any thoughts from the veteran con-goers?

mochibunny on

• ShrefShref Registered User regular
    mochibunny wrote: »
    Prepare yourselves!

I know it may be 8 months until PAX East, but it's never too early to look into hotel reservations!
    The PAX site has not been updated for East 2014 yet so I guess I'll wait for the update before I post the official hotel registration information link.

All I've got right now is an awesome Google spreadsheet from last year's thread, comparing the hotels around the con:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvZ3-Fh1pM0NdFRhV2Fqb2l1T2dGbGJfRDZoaF9RS2c#gid=0 (credit to SmallLady)

I called Onpeak to ask about the sale time and they said it would be the first week in November. I was told to call back again next month for a more precise date. However, this is an unofficial response and I heard that they could very well put up hotels at an entirely different time.

Any thoughts from the veteran con-goers?

thats an awesome spreadsheet! thanks! should be helpful in figuring things out early :)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm pretty sure that SmallLady did not put that spreadsheet together (if I'm remembering correctly), I think she just linked to it.

• EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    I've already reserved a room at the Renaissance Waterfront, just in case. Can easily be cancelled if my company send me next year.

Already mildly excited. I LOVE Boston.

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • mochibunnymochibunny Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that SmallLady did not put that spreadsheet together (if I'm remembering correctly), I think she just linked to it.
    Would you happen to know who made it then? I'd like to credit the right person for their awesome idea, thanks!

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    MUST. CHECK. ANOTHER. BOX. IN. SIGNATURE.

JfqWFk8.png
  • stelteksteltek Somehere near NYCRegistered User new member
    Well, I just tried to reserve a room at the Westin Waterfront, but the reservation desk says they're fully booked. Anyone think that OnPeak will have any reserved blocks when they open up for sale?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    The hotel is fully booked because OnPeak has all of the rooms.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Priced 4 EvilPriced 4 Evil Registered User regular
    Got a reservation at the Seaport Boston, so if I can't get the Westin then I at least have a super close backup.

• EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    Got a reservation at the Seaport Boston, so if I can't get the Westin then I at least have a super close backup.

Is that a pay when you stay reservation?

tHBv9m5.png
    Youtube | Twitter
  • aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    I am reserved at Seaport as a backup as well. Fully cancellable. When the reservations window opens I will try to book one of the others.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • the_fuzzy_penguinthe_fuzzy_penguin OhioRegistered User regular
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    I am reserved at Seaport as a backup as well. Fully cancellable. When the reservations window opens I will try to book one of the others.
    This is a great idea. Unfortunately it looks like they're out of Double Bed rooms (at least online). I may call them in the morning to see if they have any left.

• FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    Seaport was legit, their WiFi was boss.

This is a great idea. Unfortunately it looks like they're out of Double Bed rooms (at least online). I may call them in the morning to see if they have any left.

Yah they were when I booked as well so my daughter and I will end up sharing a king . Not a big issue but I am hoping to have separate beds if I can swing it.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
    Yah they were when I booked as well so my daughter and I will end up sharing a king . Not a big issue but I am hoping to have separate beds if I can swing it.
    Thanks, that's not too bad. I'd do the same, but my group is 8 guys in their mid-20s, so we're going to have to have two rooms with two beds lol.

Yah four guys to a bed would somehow seem . . . . Wrong lol

• GreenizdabestGreenizdabest Southeast CT - USARegistered User regular
    Thanks, that's not too bad. I'd do the same, but my group is 8 guys in their mid-20s, so we're going to have to have two rooms with two beds lol.

eh, if you guys were trying to crunch you could invest in a compact sleeping bag or 4. 2 guys on a bed, 2 guys on a floor per room. Swap on the second night for fairness.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Would you happen to know who made it then? I'd like to credit the right person for their awesome idea, thanks!

I think it was @vttym

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • mochibunnymochibunny Registered User regular
    ishtra wrote: »

I think it was @vttym

Thank you much! :D

FireWater wrote: »
    Seaport was legit, their WiFi was boss.

Damn right. Faster than my home internet. Which is slightly depressing, haha.

tHBv9m5.png
    Youtube | Twitter
  • waterbottleswaterbottles Beverage KentuckyRegistered User regular
    For those of you that have stayed at the Westin, how was it not having WiFi in the room? I looked up how much it would cost and it said 12.95/18.95 per day, depending on speed. Over a period of four days, that adds up.
    Does the convenience of being connected to the BCEC make up for it?

Thank you.

For those of you that have stayed at the Westin, how was it not having WiFi in the room? I looked up how much it would cost and it said 12.95/18.95 per day, depending on speed. Over a period of four days, that adds up.
    Does the convenience of being connected to the BCEC make up for it?

Thank you.
    We stayed at the Westin last year after staying elsewhere before and I never want to stay somewhere else again. With our smartphones/tablets we didn't really need to connect to wifi to do what we needed, but we just tethered off the 4G connection to our laptops and handhelds and everything worked well for us.
    eh, if you guys were trying to crunch you could invest in a compact sleeping bag or 4. 2 guys on a bed, 2 guys on a floor per room. Swap on the second night for fairness.
    We did that the first year we went and would do it again if we have to, but I'm hoping we can get doubles like last year. We were able to go through a third party to get a room at the Westin after they were sold out via OnPeak and the Westin site, so hopefully we can do that again if we have to.

• OtokumaOtokuma Registered User regular
    Gonna try and get a Westin double bed room. It'll be hard, but I hope I can manage. Don't they sell out in literally an hour, too?

Anywho, if I can't get into the Westin, Seaport is my second choice. After that, probably Renaissance.

• waterbottleswaterbottles Beverage KentuckyRegistered User regular
    We stayed at the Westin last year after staying elsewhere before and I never want to stay somewhere else again. With our smartphones/tablets we didn't really need to connect to wifi to do what we needed, but we just tethered off the 4G connection to our laptops and handhelds and everything worked well for us.

Thank you. I didn't want to rely too heavily on my iPad, and most (maybe all?) of my party don't have smart phones. I guess I'm spoiled by the Seaport, he hee.

I may opt directly for Seaport when the window opens . . . It's close and I can walk to the Westin to game if necessary :lol:

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    F.Y.I- If you are offering a room on the roomshare thread later this year, make sure you advertise correctly. I literally just saw a Judge Judy episode where at Pax East earlier this year, someone offered to share a room to someone else but arrangements weren't the same when the party got to the room. You don't want to end up in court.

This space for rent
  • AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    F.Y.I- If you are offering a room on the roomshare thread later this year, make sure you advertise correctly. I literally just saw a Judge Judy episode where at Pax East earlier this year, someone offered to share a room to someone else but arrangements weren't the same when the party got to the room. You don't want to end up in court.

Haha, oh god - I'm seeing it on TV right now. This is terrible.

But yeah, usually a good idea to talk a bit to people you plan on rooming with so you know you'll be on the same page.

Or simply not share ...

Or simply not share ...

Yeah, i generally prefer to have a room to myself, and save accordingly. I know this isn't an option for a lot of people though

tHBv9m5.png
    Youtube | Twitter
    Yeah I am older than the average gamer so sharing is a thing of the past but I understand others don't have that luxury

• atiariatiari Registered User regular
    Sharing is alright if you can find people with similar interests. A friend and I are looking to share a room this year and want to find people who plan on hitting industry parties and such that will be going on.

• sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I reserved a room at the Seaport not too long ago with a single King, and I think this year I'm okay with that. I've been sharing rooms at conventions reguarly since I was 15, and I think it'll be nice to have a room to myself just to crash in whenever.

Only afraid it's going to be kinda lonely.

PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • GreenizdabestGreenizdabest Southeast CT - USARegistered User regular
    sacratoy wrote: »
    I reserved a room at the Seaport not too long ago with a single King, and I think this year I'm okay with that. I've been sharing rooms at conventions reguarly since I was 15, and I think it'll be nice to have a room to myself just to crash in whenever.

Only afraid it's going to be kinda lonely.

Well, think of it another way - exactly how often will you be in that room? Me, I'll be in mine 7-9 hours a night. To sleep and shower, and that's about it.

• pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    I reserved a backup at the Hyatt harborside a couple weeks ago. Able to cancel 72 hrs in advance with no penalty. It's a bit further away....and across a toll road, closer to the airport, but it works as a backup..

Looks like thos rooms are gone, though, now.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    On kind of an off topic, curious as to if anyone knows the dates the new hotels for the expansion will open. Curious if they will be available for PAX 2014.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    On kind of an off topic, curious as to if anyone knows the dates the new hotels for the expansion will open. Curious if they will be available for PAX 2014.

The last I heard, construction of the new hotel adjacent to the BCEC could begin in 2015 and last two years, so we won't be seeing that one until 2017 at least. Source.

According to this, there also seems to be two other new hotels going up in the area soon as well. Maybe somebody from Boston can shed some more light on this?

Either way, I'm glad Boston is putting some work into expanding the waterfront area. I love the venue, but the immediate surroundings are so barren relative to a places like the Hynes.

• KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    From the Advantage Boston site:
    The ban that prevented building hotels near the BCEC has been lifted by the Massachusetts State Legislation.
    The MCCA has completed the purchase of 5.6 acres of land near the BCEC, which will lead to the construction of two mid-priced hotels (Aloft & Element hotels) scheduled to start by the end of 2013.
    The MCCA and the Massachusetts Port Authority have agreed to work cooperatively to build a second 1,200 to 1,500 rooms headquarters hotel for the BCEC. advantageboston.com/bcec/bcec-expansion-plans.aspx
    So as Angrypasta said, it's going to be a few years before any of these three come online. There was also the option to build another 1,000 room HQ hotel to the NW of the BCEC that I saw in a different report, on something called the Post Office site. I'm not from Boston so unsure if that one is in the works as well or not.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    I will just wait till the go on sale at on peak and try to get one if not will just room with someone if I can find someone. If not and worse comes to worse just catch the midnight train back to my dad's house every night but really don't want to do this option. Just for the seaport to resereve a room right now it was like 250.00 a night and don't think I can swing that right now. Wanted to do somewere between 150-200 for the room split between 3 or 4 guys. I will be getting a room from thursday-sunday leaving monday morning

• CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    On the room share stuff, I shared with someone offering last year and it was great. Theres always YMMV and room for screwups, but I think one case isn't room to say avoid it (other than wanting your privacy). I'm probably going with seaport again. I'll want wifi in the room and 15-20 bucks a day is probably more than the difference in room prices between westin and seaport.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    so question. The seaport apparently has open registration now. I'd prefer to stay in the Westin however but I know that sells out wicked fast. Should I set a reservation for the seaport now and then see if I get into the Westin. Is cancelling a reservation hard at these places?

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • DisposableLemurDisposableLemur Registered User regular
    Cancelling a reservation is not at all difficult. That being said, the convenience of the Westin is nice, but after staying in the Seaport last year, it is a far superior hotel. More comfortable beds/pillows, larger rooms, more amenities in the rooms, free wifi, less crowded food and common areas, direct street level access to dunkin donunts and 7-11. I like the skyway at the Westin, but the Seaport is just that much better everywhere else.

This discussion has been closed.