The Omegathon: Could you handle it?

vidvid Hot Dog WizardRegistered User regular
For the last few days, I've been trying to keep myself sane while counting the days until Prime. To aid in this, I started going over last year's con guide and watching some of the video of The Omegathon just to get a little bit of the PAX feeling back in my blood, and it eventually resulted in me having a discussion with some of my friends that are going this year about the nature of The Omegathon and if any one of us could handle the pressure of such an event.

If you're on this forums, it seems more than likely that you tick the little "I'd like to be considered for the Omegathon" box when you buy your passes each year. But what happens when you unwrap the Wonka bar and find that ticket? I can only imagine an intense rush of emotions and self-questioning: "Do I have the presence to be on stage for these events?", "What if I don't know any of the games?", "What if they choose my favorite game, and I choke?" - We all wanted to be the little kid in The Wizard, playing Super Mario Bros. 3 on a giant screen for huge prizes, but if you think about it too much, it's scary stuff!

If you accepted that coveted role, what then? Do you want your friends there to support you during the events? Or does the presence of people that you know make you more nervous? Or maybe they've got other panels or events that they want to be at instead, does that disappoint or relieve you.

Let's take it a step further... you're an Omeganaut, you've blown through the first five games, and you're now standing on that grand stage for the final round. Of course, the final round of the Omegathon is also the closing ceremony for the event. You're no longer surrounded only by the people who were interested in the Omegathon itself, but by every single person who has come to say goodbye to PAX. Does that increase the pressure, or have you already surpassed the "crowd threshold" and it's just a number at this point?

I dunno, like I said, this is just a fun line of thought that I started following to help pass time until passes go on sale. Interesting to think about.

What would be your ideal Final Round game? That one game that you're so intimately familiar with, that you would feel like the moment was made just for you? For me, it'd probably be Rez. Two players taking turns at the first stage, trying to score as high as possible through clever patterns and accurate targeting. I think it'd have a bonus effect of getting the crowd even more riled up, since the game is based around generating music as you do well and progress through each stage.

Think it all over. Imagine what it would be like, revel in those feelings swelling inside. We're less than 150 days from Prime, and maybe the next Omeganaut champion could be you!

Let me just get a beep boop on your PAX badge real quick!
5nyJ7Y5.png

Posts

  • PythagorisPythagoris Registered User regular
    I like Rez as a final rounder, though I have minimal experience with it.

    Regardless of all of the great points of thought you outlined, I AM checking that box. My luck would be that I didn't check it, and every game on the circuit was one that I was at least pretty good at.

    Pax Prime 2013 Checklist: Time Off [X] Badge [X] Hotel [?] Flight [X]
  • Seductive KittySeductive Kitty Registered User regular
    If I wasn't lazy, I'd write in depth about my experience as an Omeganaut. So here's a short version: The Omegathon definitely made my PAX East a very anxiety filled weekend. Waiting for the final round was the most nerve racking thing ever. Actually participating wasn't so bad. The best part is the bond you form with fellow Omeganauts. My favorite part of the weekend was the hour before the third round (jenga) hanging out with other Omeganauts and basically trying not to think about going on the main stage. For the final round, I kinda ditched my friends because it made me nervous. Sure enough, they were in the front row because that's what friends do. Well anyways... if you get the chance to be an Omeganaut, do it! The experience is incredible and the people are amazing; Especially the people who dedicate their PAX to making it happen.

  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror I'm a different bird Registered User regular
    Watching the finals at Prime 2011, where they were playing The Legend of Zelda, I kept thinking, "I should be up there. I know this game like the back of my hand." I used to be "the navigator" for my friends back when I was a kid, when we'd play games like Zelda and Metroid, since I had a knack for memorizing the layouts, and it's all still mostly up there.

    xderwsaxganu.png
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    Watching the finals at Prime 2011, where they were playing The Legend of Zelda, I kept thinking, "I should be up there. I know this game like the back of my hand." I used to be "the navigator" for my friends back when I was a kid, when we'd play games like Zelda and Metroid, since I had a knack for memorizing the layouts, and it's all still mostly up there.
    Yeah the final game I've always said, oh I could do that, or I know that game etc, but it's the games leeding up to it that I've always looked at with a certain frowniness. Like operation. I've got shakey hands, same thing for Jenga. Also why I took physics in college and not chemistry. Ballancing the equations is easy pooring them without burning myself or spilling is far more nerve wracking. Also Pax is for relaxation. Being tense all day does not make a good vacation for me. Taking a trip for a chance to win a vacation...No thanks Pax is my vacation.

  • DommiusDommius Registered User new member
    I'd love for even the shot at being an omeganaut. The competition and opportunity to meet new friends is something I'd cherish for as long as I could remember and nothing beat last year at my very first pax and watching the epic final round of trials cheering both competitors on and feeling the energy of the entire room around you. Hell if i got those feelings from being in the crowds I can only imagine how it would feel to actually be up on that stage giving it all you've got at games you may or may not know. Certainly something I couldn't pass up if I was given the choice.

    At the same time, I will admit there would probably be a period where I was paralyzed with fear and self doubt, but I have good friends. I'm sure they'd help me through that... Probably.

  • vidvid Hot Dog Wizard Registered User regular
    It looks like today was the day to make that choice! I certainly chose "yes", as I'm sure most of the folks reading this thread probably did. I was only able to secure single day passes, unfortunately, but it still gave me the option to be put into the contestant pool. Am I misremembering, or was it only for weekend passes last year?

    Let me just get a beep boop on your PAX badge real quick!
    5nyJ7Y5.png
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I really can't say much about my experience as an Omeganaut. It was... Odd. I byed-out of the first round of Geometry Wars 2, king mode, by pure luck, a game I had no problem with, and landed in a second round with the weird game of the year, Kerplunk, and lost. I never got to play anything successfully on stage, despite going to the second round.

    It's hard to come to grips with the reality you're facing. You prepare. You pick modes you think you will be played and fool yourself into believing assumptions about the competition. Then reality catches up with expectation and you wish to any deity that will listen to help you remain calm. It's pretty intense pressure, but then, I don't normally handle pressure in unfamiliar situations well.

    I did however make some awesome friends and supported them and wished them well even as competitors. We were all in the same boat. Sizing up each other like it was a reality show really was not the way things went. You acknowledge quickly that we are all gladiators before the throngs of digital Romans, doing battle as we have naturally trained ourselves, and with that comes a gladiators' brotherhood. The croud screams for blood and they reward guts and precision.

    I wish the experience on anyone who checked the box. Just be ready for your trip to be wrecked... In the best way possible.

    edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
    vid
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    It was all right. I wouldn't do it again (I don't know if I'm even eligible). It made the whole weekend anxious and instead of having fun, I was nervous. Also, you have to be places at certain times which can cut into con time. I know it's easy for me to say. HOWEVER, back when we were able to "cut in line" on a panel it meant that I was just a few feet from Wil during the DnD game and that, my friends, was worth it right there.

    Also, nothing quite crushes your ego than your pre-teen kid telling your Mario Kart partner that he's the driving force because you really suck at the game. :-/

    ufq9gj8383nh.png

  • LuckySeanLuckySean Registered User regular
    My friend purchased my tickets for me and they are single day passes at that so I don't believe I'm qualified. But one year, one year I would love nothing more.

  • tangentiatangentia Registered User regular
    To get through the Omegathon, I tried to focus less on the pressure of competition and more on the fun of playing games with friends. As Seductive Kitty said, our fellow Omeganauts (even those from past years) were great to meet and hang out with, and I still keep in contact with them (and definitely look forward to seeing them next year!).

    I took each round one step at a time. Initially, I just hoped we'd get past the first round (Bomberman) and then after that I didn't particularly care what happened. Bomberman was really the only game I practiced some once they told us the games less than a month in advance. I hadn't played Bomberman or NBA Jam (the second round game) ever before; I think that actually helped take the pressure off because I wasn't going in trying to prove I was good at either game. If it was something like Mario Kart where I play it all the time, I think I would've been more prone to choke because my expectation levels of my performance would've been higher.

    For the second round, I didn't expect we'd have a chance of winning until the two of us sat down and played two games about an hour beforehand and won both. Even then though, I still saw the Omegathon as a fun side event to PAX and my thoughts were basically, "woo! playing games is awesome!" However, once we won NBA Jam and someone pointed out to me that I was the only female Omeganaut left (and no female Omeganaut had won at either PAX then), that's when the pressure hit me. Not to sound overly dramatic, but now if I lost, I felt like I'd let 50% of the population down, not just myself. It was both bad and good that people would come up to me to say they wanted me to win -- it increased the pressure, but it also helped knowing that people were cheering me on. I definitely appreciated having friends in the crowd supporting me, and even complete strangers.

    The hours before the final round were the worst. I was kind of in a daze the entire day and felt a bit lightheaded, which I wasn't sure if it was because of nervousness or dehydration. Once we got backstage though, I felt better because of everyone's excitement. It reminded me that we still were just there to have fun.

    The fact that the PAX East Omegathon is a team event also relieved the pressure a little bit. There was some stress when I didn't want to let my teammate down, but at the same time, I also knew we had each other's backs (or legs/arms, with duct tape). As for the giant crowds, I tried to block them out. For the Jenga round, it helped to simply listen to Mike/Jerry's awesome commentary. For the final round, I was just super excited to be playing a game with Khoo and Erika. As for the final round game choice of Spaceteam, I'm glad it was something none of us had played before. Also minus the technical problems, it was just a silly and fun game that wasn't too stressful.

    The Omegathon definitely eats up your PAX time, but considering you can go to PAX again any other year but really only have one shot at being an Omeganaut, it's definitely an experience not to be missed if you get the call! It can be insanely stress-inducing, but you can also look past that. Realize that it boils down to you playing games, and that's something you already love to do.

    peetsnackedgeofbladeSeductive KittyvidsaryTravman93Toasticus
  • sarysary 100% pure awesomesauce manchester, nhRegistered User regular
    tangentia wrote: »
    It was both bad and good that people would come up to me to say they wanted me to win -- it increased the pressure, but it also helped knowing that people were cheering me on.

    we totally meant that in a 'if there's anything we can do to help you win that you can't have traced back to you, let us know' *innocent whistling* type of way. heh.

    my time as an omeganaut was... strange. i ended up out in the second round, which was zip-it... the only one of the announced 3 i thought i'd have any luck at. first round i was out (due to not understanding a mid-event rule change, until i was out of 'competitor mode'... but the gods smiled on me and i was able to get a second chance. back issues meant i pretty much counted myself out at dance central regardless, and as zip-it went decently (12 out of 13 possible rounds, first to seven won) i was quite happy with my performance.

    i remember having anxiety pre-rounds 1 and 2, and disappointment after i was told i was out... but only mildly. about the same level of disappointment i'd feel if i lost an expo floor raffle for something. the first time (x-men) there was also a bit of beating myself up, because i realized that i had lost due to me not listening well >.<... but while playing? i remember exactly... nothing. i went from sitting down to start the game (or getting up on stage in the case of round 2) to being done.

    anyways, it's the omegathon, where the rules are made to screw with you, and the games don't matter. it's all about the friendships and awesome people.

    Twitter: @seryseraphical

    PAX East 2012 Omeganaut. Awesomest. Time. Ever.
    Travman93edgeofblade
  • mtolanmtolan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I can say with some confidence, and youtube-delivered evidence, that I could handle the hell out of some Dance Central, and some Crokinole. I can also say I've had the peculiar experience of flicking a chip across a board while several thousand people have cheered riotously. To quote Tycho, that is "exquisite." The way the lighting works, it's hard to be aware of the size of the crowd beyond the first 4-5 rows, and I think that probably works to the benefit of the players.


    If you're on this forums, it seems more than likely that you tick the little "I'd like to be considered for the Omegathon" box when you buy your passes each year. But what happens when you unwrap the Wonka bar and find that ticket? I can only imagine an intense rush of emotions and self-questioning: "Do I have the presence to be on stage for these events?", "What if I don't know any of the games?", "What if they choose my favorite game, and I choke?" - We all wanted to be the little kid in The Wizard, playing Super Mario Bros. 3 on a giant screen for huge prizes, but if you think about it too much, it's scary stuff!

    Ray, when Tycho or Gabe asks if you want to be an Omeganaut, you say, Yes! Honestly though, it can seem incredibly overwhelming and stressful if you let it. It's particularly bad before the schedule is announced, because you don't know what any of the games are. Once you learn the games, and can feel like you can practice a bit, it takes the edge off because at least there's something you can do.
    If you accepted that coveted role, what then? Do you want your friends there to support you during the events? Or does the presence of people that you know make you more nervous? Or maybe they've got other panels or events that they want to be at instead, does that disappoint or relieve you.

    If not support, then you definitely want someone along whose job it is to take photos, videos, and hold your stuff if need be. During the Omegathon rounds, you'd be tripping balls on adrenalin, and it'd be sad to miss capturing those memories. As far as people you know making you more nervous is concerned, even at the early rounds there will be hundreds of people there you've never met, so I don't think that a few more makes much difference.
    Let's take it a step further... you're an Omeganaut, you've blown through the first five games, and you're now standing on that grand stage for the final round. Of course, the final round of the Omegathon is also the closing ceremony for the event. You're no longer surrounded only by the people who were interested in the Omegathon itself, but by every single person who has come to say goodbye to PAX. Does that increase the pressure, or have you already surpassed the "crowd threshold" and it's just a number at this point?

    Oddly, the feeling I most associate with the final round is relief. You spend all day Friday and Saturday worrying about the upcoming rounds, what if you haven't practiced enough, what if you lose and are eliminated. Sunday was a great day for me before the final round, because I got to walk around feeling like a total badass, who would be as surprised as anyone else when the final round was announced. It also helped that we knew beforehand that the runners-up would be invited to compete in the Omegathon the following year, so I felt like even if we lost, we still won.

    Also, you are stoked to not have to stand in line for the final round of Omegathon cuz dayum.
    What would be your ideal Final Round game? That one game that you're so intimately familiar with, that you would feel like the moment was made just for you? For me, it'd probably be Rez. Two players taking turns at the first stage, trying to score as high as possible through clever patterns and accurate targeting. I think it'd have a bonus effect of getting the crowd even more riled up, since the game is based around generating music as you do well and progress through each stage.

    I honestly don't know the answer to this question. I'll just counsel future Omeganauts now: "It's not the Aggro Crag!" The ideal final round game is really the one you wind up playing. While I'm not sure whether he was joking, Tycho did say that the games they choose for the final round are games that they personally find challenging, thinking it likely that others would as well.
    Think it all over. Imagine what it would be like, revel in those feelings swelling inside. We're less than 150 days from Prime, and maybe the next Omeganaut champion could be you

    Not likely. The next Omegachamp probably comes from a land down under, where women glow and men plunder.

    While I was never an Omegachamp (and my goodness do you wind up prefixing EVERYTHING in your life with Omega), I will say that my experience as an Omeganaut mostly left me feeling incredibly special. I'm not a particularly social creature, so I tend to blend into the background, especially at large events like PAX. Being an Omeganaut dropped me into a little blender, sharing a completely absurd experience with a group of people I've just met, who largely turned out to be completely awesome. (I hope it's not too presumptous to say that I find that makes StripSearch that much more interesting to watch.) I couldn't help but make some good friends in that situation, and got some really excellent stories out of it.

    The question I find myself asking is, "if I got the call again, would I say yes?". (I'm told this has actually happened) It's more fraught than you'd think because on the one hand, I'd love another shot at the brass ring, but on the other hand, it would probably mean denying someone else the opportunity to experience something completely awesome and wonderful.

    Also, if there are future Omeganauts reading this, remember that if you mess with Travis and SmallLady, shit will get real. They are awesome :)

    mtolan on
    Travman93edgeofblade
  • sarysary 100% pure awesomesauce manchester, nhRegistered User regular
    mtolan wrote: »
    (and my goodness do you wind up prefixing EVERYTHING in your life with Omega)

    haha so true, omegabro.
    mtolan wrote: »
    Also, if there are future Omeganauts reading this, remember that if you mess with Travis and SmallLady, shit will get real. They are awesome :)

    yeah... those two (along with any minions they may rope in) work so gorram hard to not only make the omegathon interesting for spectators, they try their hardest to make sure *you* as an omeganaut have an awesome weekend. i know (on the east coast at least) messing with them invites not only their wrath, but the scorn of a large yet close-knit group of omegaveterans for bringing shame to the omegafamily name...

    *insert colossus roar*

    Twitter: @seryseraphical

    PAX East 2012 Omeganaut. Awesomest. Time. Ever.
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I want to offer advice to any future Omeganauts: It's not always fair, and that's okay.

    There will always be that one event. It might be Jenga. It might be Kerplunk. In those cases, you surprisingly have to be on your toes for that one. If the game seems to be rather random and predestined to be dependant on turn orders and luck, just make your moves and hope for the best. Avoid making gutsy moves that will corner your opponents as those tend to backfire.

    Oh, and those rounds tend to invite lots of thinking and observation, resulting in long rounds and the inevitable invoking of Omegalaw: the controversial countdowns and rushing. In fact, a game of russian roulette might be less nerve wracking than getting a countdown while trying to select the right Jenga block.

    If this happens to you, please go easy on the Omegatechs. They really don't have a choice, and anything you can do to help speed things up... well... might "help" you lose. If that happens, be Omegamagnanimous. You just helped their job go much more smoothly. If you have mathematically lost, admit defeat with your head held high rather than drag things out.

    The Omegatechs work hard to make things as fair as they can, but they usually have very little time tolerance and entertainment value really is the top priority.

    And, while this is obvious, you will probably lose. You're still damned lucky that you were selected... srsly, go buy a lottery ticket. Fate has seen fit to induct you into a grand tradition and fraternity. Luck plays a role in this entire process beginning to end, but what you do with that luck, the people you meet and the experiences you have, make being an Omeganaut an enduring experience for everyone.

    6YJGH2V.png
    peetsnack
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    +1 for Omegamagnanimous

    7B14287.png
    JenniLyne
  • Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    peetsnack wrote: »
    +1 for Omegamagnanimous

    Make that +2. As a first-round loser in my own Omegathon, I have to second everything that @edgeofblade said (well, keeping in mind that I never got to "that" event. =P) Keep in mind that, even if you wash out of the tournament, you already got a huge win just by being a part of it, and speaking for myself, even after I was defeated and no longer participating in the tourney rounds, it greatly enriched my con experience - you have NO idea how many conversations were started because of the shirt and badge (the, like, half hour chat with Danimal Cannon & the rest of Metroid Metal springs to mind!), plus getting to hang out with the rest of the Omeganauts, congratulating the winners and consoling the...well, let's face it, STILL winners who just happened to have been eliminated from the tournament.

    And like @mtolan & @sary said - don't mess with Travis and the Lady of Smalls. They're awesome and deserving of your respect, especially in the pressure-cooker conditions they (willingly, year after year after year) subject themselves to in order to make this thing happen. =)

  • JenniLyneJenniLyne Registered User regular
    I don't think I'd pass up the opportunity to be an Omeganaut. I might regret that decision in the month or so leading up to the event, but I couldn't say no. Everything I've ever done in life that was worth it absolutely terrified me. I wouldn't expect the Omegathon experience to be any different.

    edgeofbladeLittle Miss Rachel
  • DuelLadySDuelLadyS Registered User regular
    My time as an Omeganaut was brief, but glorious- don't let nerves keep you from trying it!

    My bits of advice- get your rest! It was very, VERY hard to keep my hands straight during Kerlpunk, becuause I wasn't able to get that pre-round break/nap/etc. I was counting on due to the room kerfuffle at the Shearton (in fact, I was doubly stressed because after arguing with them all afternoon, they called minutes before the match to say we likely wouldn't be able to check in until 9 or 10 pm. Not cool.)

    Secondly, if you do lose early on, don't take it too hard. As much as a part of me wants to say "stupid hotel make me lose my cool! Their fault!" I know it's not the case. The folks I was up against put up a great second run, and sooner or later in Kerplunk, someone gets all the marbles. Just happened to be me. Honestly, just getting selected get you enough attention to be a prize in and of itself- I already felt like I'd won when I got an email from LRR wanting a picture for a gag in their PAX video. Pax hadn't even happened yet!

    Don't worry about the prize, or how 'good' you look- enjoy the ride.



  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I joined this forum 6 years ago this week because I was offered two chances in the Omegathon (2007 and 2008). For that reason alone, I'm glad I said yes.

    Honestly, you just have to say yes. After that, you decide just how seriously you want to take the tournament. I'm an extremely competitive person, and after seeing the game list, I knew I had a shot. Once playing the games, the pressure mounts and you just deal with it or feed of it. For me, the games on the big stage provided less pressure as I felt like I was feeding off the energy of the crowd.

    One example was the finish to my second round Calling All Cars match. I had enough points to secure a third place finish and held the robber in my car. My opponents were guarding the police station as I expected, which was perfect, as I had no intention of getting anywhere near it. My entire strategy at that point was to let the time expire and finish in the top 3. I distinctly remember smiling when the crowd roared in delight as they all got what I was doing.

    For me, I did the entire thing twice. 2007 I got to the finals and lost in Halo 3, a game no one expected after Pong, Tetris, and Combat in the finals. In 2008, I lost out in the Rock Band round. It was a team event, so my fate was no longer in my hands. Like others have said, the rules aren't always in your favor and you just deal with it. :)

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    jdarksun
  • beyondcelerybeyondcelery Registered User regular
    Honestly, when I got that call, it took me a moment to agree to it. I know how I get and Obsessively Competitive doesn't really cover it. But I wouldn't trade my Omegathon experience last year for anything. It was incredible! I made friends with some awesome people. Edgeofblade totally helped me prepare for Tony Hawk and without his help I might not have managed to skate by in that round. That's the beauty of the Omegathon: the Omeganauts work together, when they aren't trying to make you drop your marbles. I'm unbelievably excited to participate again this year. Truly, I can't wait. Well, I do need these next few weeks to train. I'm so excited.

    So what if I don't win (again)? I'm good with that, because the Omegathon is an experience I will be telling my grandchildren about. If you get that call, just say yes. You might be terrified to get up on stage, but make yourself do it. PAX people are wonderful--they're all our people and, really, most every one is super nice and really wants you to succeed. Until you get that call, support your Omeganauts. It's hard to get up on stage in front of thousands of people just to suck at riding a virtual motorcycle. The key thing is to do it, and cheer on the people who are willing to do it. It's more fun than you can ever imagine.

  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    I thought it was pretty awesome, if at times very frustrating. Equipment malfunctions, and even if you win your team may still lose.

    Also being in the public eye was interesting. During the kerplunk round I didn't drop a single marble. I later found out from my gf that some people were angry because of it. Some people were angry because I didn't drop any marbles, and some were angry that I was smiling after not dropping marbles..... people were angry at me for smiling, I shit you not.

    I make weird crap and put it on the internet!
    youtube.com/user/justamusingmyself

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/cannoncore
  • LtHummusLtHummus Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Based on how I handled the call telling me I was selected, I fully expect to collapse in to the fetal position midway through the first game. It'll be awesome.

    LtHummus on
    edgeofblade
  • countofangelscountofangels Omeganaut | Prime 2013! Portland, ORRegistered User new member
    Appreciate the advice here. I'd love to win (who wouldn't?) but I think it'll be a blast just hanging out with everyone and really being a part of it all.

    zerzhul
  • vidvid Hot Dog Wizard Registered User regular
    LtHummus, I will be watching your Omeganaut career with great interest!

    Let me just get a beep boop on your PAX badge real quick!
    5nyJ7Y5.png
  • ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    oh, we handled it

    (we hit the stage second at around 2:40 -- also, shoutout to whoever recorded these, you rock)


    Being an Omeganaut was AMAZING. And I think part of the reason for that (beyond it being an awesome event run by awesome people) was that every stage of the competition we survived was a huge surprise for us. Just gotta go in expecting to have some fun while being in honestly a pretty goofy spotlight. Tangentia's post explains it really well, I think. It does take up a lot of your time at the con, especially if you make it past the first few stages, but it's totally worth it.

    Best of luck to you newest contenders! Just relax and have fun. :)

    Toasticus on
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Appreciate the advice here. I'd love to win (who wouldn't?) but I think it'll be a blast just hanging out with everyone and really being a part of it all.

    Count of Angels wins! Friendship! (Friendship? Again?!?)

    th?id=H.4576035360604635&pid=1.7

    6YJGH2V.png
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    I could never handle the pressure of the Omegathon, to be totally, blatantly honest. The anxiety of competing in front of such an audience would knock me out in the first round, and then I'd be too embarrassed to ever wear the shirt again. I'll stick to my place behind the scenes, enforcing and making lanyards. ^_^

    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think that's probably why they have zombie dice as the first round this prime. So if you go out at the start, you can say "well that's a bullshit game anyhow for a competition."

  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    Haha, too true! I imagine a lot of Nauts felt the same way about Jenga on shaky stages & tables, and Peggle. I mean really. Competitive Peggle. I wouldn't feel too bad about being knocked out of such a game. But if I'm going to do a tournament like that, I am going to be in it to win and losing would ruin the rest of the weekend for me. (I'm an over-competitive silly goose)

    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I think that's probably why they have zombie dice as the first round this prime. So if you go out at the start, you can say "well that's a bullshit game anyhow for a competition."

    balls to that. It needs to be halfway through so you have something invested!

    also, If anyone can pull a perfect game in the game of bullshit chance I'll buy you a drink and we can be Ultra Lucky Friends.
    Which is a thing I just made up

    I make weird crap and put it on the internet!
    youtube.com/user/justamusingmyself

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/cannoncore
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I think that's probably why they have zombie dice as the first round this prime. So if you go out at the start, you can say "well that's a bullshit game anyhow for a competition."

    There used to be another dice game as the first round back in 05 and 06. Really, a chance round at the beginning is best because it quickly eliminates four. And if you're one of those four, you know you didn't do it to yourself because you fucked up. It was chance that got you in, and it's chance that gets you past the first round.

    It would suck to be in a middle round like 3, and go out because of a bad dice roll. At least at the beginning you have all of PAX in front of you still.

    E6LkoFK.png

    zerzhuledgeofblade
  • LtHummusLtHummus Registered User regular
    Well...I guess I got my answer: a little bit of yes and a little bit of no. I did well enough and got lucky enough to make it all the way to the finals on the big stage, but completely choked there. Part of me was telling myself that I should not have taken that final shot and that Nantucket didn't do any of his missions, but the other, lesser-evolved part of me panicked and pulled the trigger. Oh well. C'est la vie.

    That being said, you should _TOTALLY_ sign up for the Omegathon. Best. PAX. Ever.

    zerzhulvespachicabloatedhippoedgeofblade
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2013
    Liger wrote: »
    Haha, too true! I imagine a lot of Nauts felt the same way about Jenga on shaky stages & tables, and Peggle. I mean really. Competitive Peggle. I wouldn't feel too bad about being knocked out of such a game. But if I'm going to do a tournament like that, I am going to be in it to win and losing would ruin the rest of the weekend for me. (I'm an over-competitive silly goose)
    <- went out to peggle 2 in the final 4

    zerzhul on
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    LtHummus wrote: »
    Well...I guess I got my answer: a little bit of yes and a little bit of no. I did well enough and got lucky enough to make it all the way to the finals on the big stage, but completely choked there. Part of me was telling myself that I should not have taken that final shot and that Nantucket didn't do any of his missions, but the other, lesser-evolved part of me panicked and pulled the trigger. Oh well. C'est la vie.

    That being said, you should _TOTALLY_ sign up for the Omegathon. Best. PAX. Ever.

    I really can't blame you for taking the shot. Just about everyone else would have done the same thing. He really made the correct play. You still did a fantastic job and you have my respect for such a deep run. Best of luck next year. :-)

    6YJGH2V.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I think I would not. First off, I love playing games but I pretty much universally suck at them. Except RoChamBo, at which I am evidently magic.

    I go to PAX for the community more than for the games - I mean, I can play games with random strangers any time. Or play with myself, for that matter. But having to stick to the Omegathon schedule* and potentially getting all that attention just makes me shudder. I'd rather run around and be free. And meet up with PAX buddies I only see once a year. And drink. And show up at my friends' tourneys to mock them like good geeks do.


    *Which is a joke, because I'd be eliminated in the first round.

    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • KratzALotKratzALot Registered User regular
    I want to say I could handle it, and probably could, but I already know my down fall. If there's a rhythm game to be played, which there probably will be, it will be my downfall.

    Other than that, I like to think I could handle the pressure of a huge audience. And I'm confident in my skills in any other type of game. I hope one day to be selected!

    The Great Whale War of Civ 5

    Never Forget!
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    @LtHummus , I would have totally done the same thing.

    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

    rx9e87jbbz0w.png

  • AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I would be okay until the semi-finals or finals. When I say that, I'm speaking purely in terms of nerves or anxiety...but once I got to the final, I'd be shaking. This is strange because I'm an attorney who has argued before the Supreme Court in real life, and the idea of the omegathon final rattles me more than going before Roberts and Co.

    Axon on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I made it to the semi-final and really the only thing that was stressful for me was reverse jenga. I was nervous for the peggle 2 round just because it was the first time since the start that I entertained thoughts of actually making it to the finals, but I didn't really have any nerves once I got on stage. The finals themselves? I'm sure that's completely crazy, but I wouldn't know first hand.

Sign In or Register to comment.