As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BSG:BG] Daybreak Game 1 - Game Over

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    2 or 3 yeah. Anything less and the partial triggers; more and the fail triggers

Also I find it amusing that fully half the cards are 0 strength

• KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    I'm not 100% positive but I think a Red 3 would save the check and trigger Protect the Fleet as well.

It certainly would. And sending a viper to Bow means you can XO someone from Command and still take 2 shots at a heavy raider. This totally needs to happen.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Is the number of the skill card all that matters or does its effect still work?

Is the number of the skill card all that matters or does its effect still work?

If the skill card is a "skill check" skill card (check list in OP), then the text is resolved in a skill check. If not - only the number matters.

edited September 2013
    I got one that says "Play before cards are added to a Skill Check" so I'm guessing that one's out?

Edit'd for proper wording.

Grunt's Ghosts on
    Aye. That one's an interrupt - the text on that can only be played before ANYONE adds cards to a check. Not sure how that gets monitored in here...

Well, then I have only one option. PM'd Mister B.

Oh, I'm suppose to reveal my card here. So its Piloting 2 - Evasive Maneuvers

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Turn 4: Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Grunt's Ghosts)

Crisis Card: Loss of a Friend

Skill Check [9] Politics + Leadership
    Pass: No effect.
    7+: The current player discards 2 Skill Cards.
    Fail: -1 Morale, and the current player discards 2 Skill Cards.

Grunt's Ghosts elects to submit Piloting 2 - Evasive Maneuvers for Force Your Hand, modifying the skill check total to 8 - 2 = 6, Fail. Iron Will causes the fail effects to be ignored.

Kat pulls herself together, using her sadness to fuel her strength in providing leadership for the rest of the fleet's pilots.

After Crisis: A Heavy Raider launches from the Basestar at the Fore (9 o'clock) location. Jump Preparation advances to Level 5 - Jump available at some risk (-1 Population on roll of 6 or less).

Turn 5: Lee Adama (Tenek)

Receive Skills Step: Lee Adama (Tenek) draws 1 Tactics, 2 Piloting, and 2 Leadership cards.

Current Situation:
    BSGBG-GameD01-T05-1.gif
    Resources: Fuel - 7, Food - 8, Morale - 9, Population - 12.

Jump Preparation: Level 5 - Jump available at some risk (-1 population on roll of 6 or less).
    Pursuit Track: Level 1.

Distance Covered: 0

Galactica: No damage, no boarding parties.
    Pegasus: Engine Room damaged.

Nuke Tokens: 2 remain.
    Quorum Cards: 3 in hand.

Ship Reserves: 3 Viper Mk II, 4 Raptors, and 1 Assault Raptor available, 4 Viper Mk VIIs damaged.

Characters:
    Louis Hoshi (Kirindal) - Research Lab (5 Skill Cards)
    Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) - President's Office (7 Skill Cards, 2 Mutiny Cards, 1 Miracle Token, Mutineer)
    Gaius Baltar, Daybreak ver. (Phyphor) - Research Lab (7 Skill Cards, 2 Miracle Tokens)
    CAG Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Grunt's Ghosts) - Aft (3 o'clock, Viper Mk. II) (5 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    President Lee Adama, Daybreak ver. (Tenek) - Admiral's Quarters (6 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    Admiral Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) - Pegasus CIC (3 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    D'Anna Biers (Kaneski) - Human Fleet (1 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)

Galactica Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - 1 Basestar, 1 Heavy Raider.
    Starboard-bow (11 o'clock) - None.
    Starboard-quarter (1 o'clock) - 3 Raiders.
    Aft (3 o'clock) - Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Viper Mk II), 1 Viper Mk II, 2 Civilian Ships.
    Port-quarter (5 o'clock) - None.
    Port-bow (7 o'clock) - 1 Viper Mk II.

Cylon Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - None.
    Starboard-quarter (1 o'clock) - None.
    Aft (3 o'clock) - None.
    Port-bow (7 o'clock) - None.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Sigh. And with no XO, my turn just got a lot more boring. Discard Piloting 1 - Full Throttle to move to Quorum Chamber and activate it. Might as well get started on these cards.

And that should have been colored, so make it so.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Well, then I have only one option. PM'd Mister B.

Just to be clear, you can toss in cards purely for their value (the number) and not for the ability.

EDIT: Wait nevermind, misread the conversation. IGNORE ME.

Professor Phobos on
    Tenek, your Quorum card draw has been sent. Will you draw another or play one from your hand?

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Hmm. Small benefit now, vs. quicker access to another useful card next time... Play Accept Prophecy, drawing Engineering

Movement Step: Tenek discards Piloting 1 - Full Throttle to move to Quorum Chamber.
    Action Step: Draw one Quorum card to the hand, then plays Accept Prophecy, drawing from Engineering.

Accept Prophecy
    Action: Draw 1 Skill Card of any type (it may be drawn from outside your skill set).
    Keep this card in play. When a player activates "Administration" or chooses the President with the "Admiral’s Quarters" location, increase the difficulty by 2, then discard this card.

Adama moves to Colonial One to conduct sessions with the Quorum, publicly reaffirming his belief in the prophecy and his hope for finding a new home for humanity. Meanwhile, Admiral Cain receives a message from a group expressing dissent, suggesting that she declare martial law and place political power in her hands for the good of the fleet.

Crisis Card: Declare Martial Law

Admiral Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) must choose:
    A) -1 morale, and the Admiral receives the President title.
    OR
    B) -1 population, and the Admiral discards 2 Skill Cards.

After Crisis: Activate Basestars

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Well, that's ironic. I think shuffling the roles isn't a very good idea since we'll have a bit of time after (hopefully) Cain's turn before the Cylons come back. If you don't want to trade places then we should be able to fix the population issue later.

I don't want to get yelled at for sacrificing morale again. But on the other hand, I know I'm not a Cylon and would therefore make a perfectly good God-Emperor.

Morale is easier to replace than population, but have more people to spare. I'll accept further discussion before making my decision.

From an action economy point of view, there's no downside to having the President and Admiral on the same person, since the Admiral's only action is nuking, that's usually XOed anyway and it can actually be optimal to have a nuke/quorum XO.

Not having anyone who can inspect alignments makes it a bit riskier though

Replacing morale right now means farming the Quorum deck for speeches, something that gets a lot harder when XO'ing the President means risking a Blind Jump + Reveal. I think we should keep the roles a bit more distributed until we have at least one confirmed toaster.

Since I'm not sure what the resource pressure is going to turn out to be, we should also probably try to spread it out (except for fuel) and boost whatever's lowest towards the end. Otherwise we end up with 5 fuel and 0 food or such.

edited September 2013
    Option A.

I just can't resist.

Professor Phobos on
    Sigh. Clearly I should have brigged you when I had the chance.

Tenek wrote: »
    Sigh. Clearly I should have brigged you when I had the chance.

Eh...honestly, I assumed you would brig Hoshi, and when you didn't...

edited September 2013

Crisis Card: Declare Martial Law

Professor Phobos selects Option A, -1 Morale and Professor Phobos receives the presidency.

For the sake of the fleet's security, Helena Cain declares martial law, bringing the power of the presidency under her name.

After Crisis: Basestar attack roll is a hit unless someone wants to play a Calculations to reduce the die roll.

Tenek, select a ship to be damaged if it comes to it and let me know what your flex draw will be at the start of your turn.

Geth roll "1d8" for Activate Basestars

Activate Basestars:
    1d8 4 [1d8=4]

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Morale is precious. Pop is lost MOSTLY to space, so that's a lot easier to pro... aww screw it... You meatbags are a shambles of personal glory over collective good. Embrace machinery! After I help you, ofcourse...

Brigging Hoshi is your job, Phobos - you draw the cards for it. Adama's draw is pretty crappy for brigging, unless he mines for Political Prowess.

edited September 2013
    @MrBlarney Sorry boss, but doesn't Adama/Tenek still pick which ship to damage, being current player?

Edit: seems he's of similar disposition ;)

Kaneski on
    She's already got the card for it.

Might as well hit Galactica, nobody's in a vulnerable location now and it's 1 in 3 you start in Sickbay otherwise.

Kaneski wrote: »
    Sorry boss, but doesn't Adama/Tenek still pick which ship to damage, being current player?

Er, yes. Galactica will be damaged, once I confirm that no Calculations will be played and I get Professor Phobos' skill card draw for his next turn.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    No calculations here

Couldn't even if I had it, which I don't

No calculations, just to clarify. I think Hoshi is the only one left who's drawn Engineering.

3 Leadership, 2 Tactics please.

Hey lads,

in about 3-4 hours I'll be out of touch for up to 3 days (depending on how big the pile of crap is, and how awesome I am at sorting it). I'll leave conditional orders for Blarney, so it shouldn't slow down the game too much.

For my turn, I plan to come to Galactica. An extra set of actions in/around Demetrius won't hurt you humans. @Phyphor, I'll still volunteer my miracle token. If you filthy meatsacks prefer I stay and scout destination - speak before I go so I can change orders.

We might well jump before we get to your turn, so there's time to scout for jump 2 when you get back. Maybe conditional order that you'll scout if we don't jump at the end of my turn, do some other thing if we do?

Right-o, once @Kirindal confirms whether or not a Calculations will be played, I think we'll be ready to continue.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    No Calculations being played by this boop.

Kirindal on
    edited September 2013

After Crisis: Weapons Control is damaged.

Turn 6: Helena Cain (Professor Phobos)

Receive Skills Step: Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) draws 3 Leadership and 2 Tactics cards.

Current Situation:
    BSGBG-GameD01-T06-1.gif
    Resources: Fuel - 7, Food - 8, Morale - 8, Population - 12.

Jump Preparation: Level 5 - Jump available at some risk (-1 population on roll of 6 or less).
    Pursuit Track: Level 1.

Distance Covered: 0

Galactica: Weapons Control damaged, no boarding parties.
    Pegasus: Engine Room damaged.

Nuke Tokens: 2 remain.
    Quorum Cards: 3 in hand.

Active Quorum Cards:
    Accept Prophecy - Prevent transfer of President title via the Administration location or increase difficulty of Admiral's Quarters checks against the President by 2; card is used once before discarded.

Ship Reserves: 3 Viper Mk II, 4 Raptors, and 1 Assault Raptor available, 4 Viper Mk VIIs damaged.

Characters:
    Louis Hoshi (Kirindal) - Research Lab (5 Skill Cards)
    Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) - President's Office (7 Skill Cards, 2 Mutiny Cards, 1 Miracle Token, Mutineer)
    Gaius Baltar, Daybreak ver. (Phyphor) - Research Lab (7 Skill Cards, 2 Miracle Tokens)
    CAG Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Grunt's Ghosts) - Aft (3 o'clock, Viper Mk. II) (5 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    Lee Adama, Daybreak ver. (Tenek) - Quorum Chamber (6 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    Admiral-President Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) - Pegasus CIC (8 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    D'Anna Biers (Kaneski) - Human Fleet (1 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)

Galactica Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - 1 Basestar, 1 Heavy Raider.
    Starboard-quarter (1 o'clock) - 3 Raiders.
    Aft (3 o'clock) - Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Viper Mk II), 1 Viper Mk II, 2 Civilian Ships.
    Port-bow (7 o'clock) - 1 Viper Mk II.

Cylon Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - None.
    Starboard-quarter (1 o'clock) - None.
    Aft (3 o'clock) - None.
    Port-bow (7 o'clock) - None.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Alright, got some options. The basic boring plan is Launch Scout, since we're close to jumping.

I can head over to Colonial One, grab myself another quorum card, and play Arrest Order on Hoshi with Quorum Chamber.

I can head to Galactica, activate Admiral's Quarters, arresting Hoshi and possibly executing him. Are we confident enough in our suspicions to risk it? I generally dislike exploratory executions before the sleeper phase is done.

• CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    My outsider opinion says that you should execute him, because it's fun!

Dancing Bagel