As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Work appropriate [chat]

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    seriously though i dont get why everyone thinks that van gogh is such a good painter

i mean, he hasnt released anything new for years and FINALLY releases a new painting and it is more of the same

good job getting better at painting bro lol

919UOwT.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Video games are art!

GOD SPEAKS TO ME THROUGH VIDEO GAMES!

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm kinda with spool on this: I could see strict copyright enforcement in exchange for that copyright actually ending in my lifetime.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    there is a germ of a short story here about a post scarcity society where there is plenty of energy, food, materials, art, entertainment for everyone

but it's restricted by a set of laws and rules that make the society instead resemble the industrial revolution with children working in plastic-vapor filled hologram factories to produce senso-vids that could be replicated digitally and distributed freely

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I mean, I'm still pretty solidly of the belief that copyright is fucked and cannot sensibly cope with infinite perfect free copies as a concept. It needs a dramatic rework to recreate the intended government protection of private work in exchange for eventual enriching of the public sphere.

yeah maybe so

i don't really know where to go with it though.

people make things that can be copied perfectly infinitely for free

how can they monetize these things they made?

the "charity" solution is a poor one. "shareware" didn't even work in its miserable little computer-hippy corner of civilization.

"live performances" doesn't do much for all the artists who don't perform live music, and for all the other media producers out there.

i honestly don't know what to do about it

the copyright edifice is indeed creaky and is becoming unworkable

but what can we replace it with and still have professionals be able to make video games we like to play.

We are charging headlong toward a greater copyright catastrophe with the rise of cheap 3D printing, too. I'm not really sure where to go with it either... my evolution has been one where 20yr old me was "this genie is out of the bottle, copyright fascists! Give up and find a patron like Beethoven, because you can never stop it!!!".

And now I'm like "wow, this genie really is out of the bottle. It is a disaster in three or four distinct ways and none of them have a good solution..."

One solution clearly is to drive down the cost of a song until people are like "fuck it, this is easier than torrents". For me this happened at around the '$0.99 per song w/no DRM' price point, and I think iTunes was a serious game changer in that regard. It wasn't shutting down the napsters etc, it certainly wasn't the lawsuits. It was making the music cheap and getting the industry to STFU long enough for the copyright violation machine to cool down a bit.

So maybe the solution is to relentlessly drive down the price and make it super stupidly easy to just buy it. Basically, innovate your way out of this mess rather than continue to punish the consumer while erecting rickety models of false scarcity. Particularly when anybody who can spell torrent or locate usenet knows it's all a house of cards.

Where does that leave creators? More in need of business skills than they once were, because they need to cut out the middlemen as often as they can. Cue kickstarter, Amazon self-publishing, and YouTube.

For games? We're boned for the moment. It's walled-garden OSs, in-app purchases, and required persistent internet connections all the way down. :(

Somebody's gotta innovate our way out of this too!

This is exactly how Steam is succeeding in Russia. Turns out, even if piracy is everywhere, if you can get the real thing with no risks or hassle or potential ripoffs by clicking a button and getting a good product for a good price, people go for it like crazy.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    They found a Van Gogh painting!

_69757350_019234876.jpg

The upper left corner will cause certain nerds to explode.

Imagine what they'll say about the thing in the bottom right!

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Trying to figure out new phone.

Tried to figure out how I can get rid of contact groups. Since having "friends" "family" "coworkers" and "classmates" all being there and being empty, and having the one I need, vaktlag 4, being out of reach, is pointless.

but then I tried to see what I could use the contact groups for and turns out, jack shit.

if I can't select the group as a group and send a text to all of them then what the fuck is the point?

ftOqU21.png
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Maybe the implosion of disposable digital media is just what we need.

Maybe people can sit down in the evening and have long, involved discussions about politics and philosophy like they used to.

Maybe.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hey, a trailer for the new Robocop came out.

It's funny how I was so against the Oldboy remake, then I see the trailer and pull a 180 and think it looks promising. Robocop's just.

It's not even like I can go "NOOOOOOOOOPE" it's more of a slow descent into "Eeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Also I absolutely adore the decision to keep his human hand. When images of him leaked out last year, everyone was so sure they'd be CG-ing it or something to do with his gun. Guess naht!

Also also he looks about 400% better in silver. Like, I get they tried to do a cutesy reference, like how in DmC a mop lands on Dante's head and he admires the shimmering silver hair look in a mirror for a second, but you can't do that when the old look is way better than your new one, c'mon guys.

Oh brilliant
    They found a Van Gogh painting!

_69757350_019234876.jpg

The upper left corner will cause certain nerds to explode.

Imagine what they'll say about the thing in the bottom right!

"Reuters"...could it be a code?

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »

Maybe people can sit down in the evening and have long, involved discussions about politics and philosophy like they used to.

Maybe.

Shut up Ray Bradbury, you died last year.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Maybe.

Who used to? Plato?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    People getting GTAV on the 360: anyone interested in forming a chatter crew? The name of the G&T one is the "Chinatown Wangs" and I just can't

rRwz9.gif
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    robocop is going to suck because i guarantee that it is going to completely skip over what made the original great - the dark humor, social commentary and product commercials

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I mean, I'm still pretty solidly of the belief that copyright is fucked and cannot sensibly cope with infinite perfect free copies as a concept. It needs a dramatic rework to recreate the intended government protection of private work in exchange for eventual enriching of the public sphere.

yeah maybe so

i don't really know where to go with it though.

people make things that can be copied perfectly infinitely for free

how can they monetize these things they made?

the "charity" solution is a poor one. "shareware" didn't even work in its miserable little computer-hippy corner of civilization.

"live performances" doesn't do much for all the artists who don't perform live music, and for all the other media producers out there.

i honestly don't know what to do about it

the copyright edifice is indeed creaky and is becoming unworkable

but what can we replace it with and still have professionals be able to make video games we like to play.

Hasn't Valve basically answered this question, though? Provide a service that houses and organizes the data when you buy it. Thus even through mutiple hard drive failures, your precious library stays whenever you want it. Basically make buying the music/games/whatever easier and more convenient than stealing it.

I mean sure, teenagers have plenty of time on their hands to download whatever music they want, but even teenagers groan in frustration when equipment failure destroys hours of downloading, when they're not even sure they remember all the songs they had on there.

It's amazing to me how long it took iTunes to start offering cloud backups of songs.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Maybe.

Shut up Ray Bradbury, you died last year.

Yes I did :(

ooooooOOOOOOOOooooOOOOOOOOoOoooOOOOOoOOOOOOOooooooooo!

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    People getting GTAV on the 360: anyone interested in forming a chatter crew? The name of the G&T one is the "Chinatown Wangs" and I just can't

a man reaches a certain age when he can no longer be part of groups with "wang" in the title

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

wow

such mature

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Fuck trivia is tonight! I almost forgot. I need to leave soon.

Fuck trivia. What kind of questions do they ask?

Never mind... I... I can guess.

I want a Chatter PS3 crew too, but I guess the majority of y'all ain't PS3ers. :<

Back to G&T where I belong...

Oh brilliant
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

What, Jacob?

you don't like Chinese-Americans?

I am judging you harshly! SO HARSHLY!

Incenjucar wrote: »

Maybe.

Who used to? Plato?

The Strawman family over in Civilityville.

Casual wrote: »

a man reaches a certain age when he can no longer be part of groups with "wang" in the title

He probably has a year or two of tolerating subversive references like joining a crew called Gnaw.

• Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Yep, it's official, I've been sitting here for 30 minutes waiting for a 3 v 3 game. What the actual fuck.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've gotten a few guilds named Pax Arcadia. That's appropriately classy and is still a relevant reference.

Also, sigged a quote. That's a very rare thing for me. CASUAL HAS RECEIVED MY BLESSING

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Yes let us please do that. I'm in for sure, I been saving up for dis game.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

Yup, not happenin'. I finally managed to log into the Social Club as I was thinking exactly the same thing.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Obviously we should call it the Enfield Tennis Academy

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

I thought it was a given. I was gonna make a thread for it a few days before launch, and then we could recruit some gang members. Let's be dictatorial about the name, though.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    I thought this tea saying "green rooibos" meant it was organic, but nope, it's actually a red tea that is green.

Urf, I no get Social Club. Do I need a Rockstar game on PS3 already to login and set this thing up? I'm sure I've got a Social Club account already, but not PS3 flavour.

Oh brilliant
    Echo wrote: »
    I've gotten a few guilds named Pax Arcadia. That's appropriately classy and is still a relevant reference.

Also, sigged a quote. That's a very rare thing for me. CASUAL HAS RECEIVED MY BLESSING

that feeling of satisfaction when your words resonate with your readership

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Gooey wrote: »
    robocop is going to suck because i guarantee that it is going to completely skip over what made the original great - the dark humor, social commentary and product commercials

It's going to the best PG13 remake of RoboCop released in 2013.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Urf, I no get Social Club. Do I need a Rockstar game on PS3 already to login and set this thing up? I'm sure I've got a Social Club account already, but not PS3 flavour.

oh balls

if GTA5 turns out to be games for windows fail i may cry

Ugh, I hate games with online achievements that want you to max out their levelling system. Feels like busywork.

Ugh, I hate games with online achievements

• TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    My boss is coming over tonight, and he can't know I'm a part of the Chinatown Wangs!!

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    Ugh, I hate games with online achievements that want you to max out their levelling system. Feels like busywork.

well

it is

GFWL right now is Artax in The Neverending Story.

Microsoft is Atreyu, saying "you can make it! Come ON MOVE!"

but it is already dead

like KenshiroWOAH almost got sucked into a double metaphor there haha

Oh brilliant
    Echo wrote: »
    Ugh, I hate games with online achievements

That too, but my initial grievance is the worst.

Although the absolute worst wasn't one of those: It was a L4D2 versus achievement that required about 15% skill and 85% luck.

This discussion has been closed.