As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Graphics card question

Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
Hi Errybody -

I am trying to decipher if I should keep my current graphics card or swap out one that my co-worker is offering me for $20. The trouble is twofold:

1.) I can't tell specifically which model graphics card I have, nor the specific graphics card my co-worker has. All I have is the series that they belong to. Would a serial number or some other identifyer help me figure out exactly the readouts of the two cards?

2.) I have no idea what specifications are meaningful to compare, and the extent to which a swap would be an upgrade, lateral movement, or downgrade.

I don't really want to swap the cards out and do a 'seeing eye test' as I don't think my eye is trained enough.

I have a PCI Express 2.0 input, and the maximum bus is x16 if that's a significant number at all.

Current Card - ATI Radeon 5700 Series

Potential Replacement Card - GeForce GTX 400 Series

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well, here's the thing. Without card specifics we can't be too precise in our recommendations, but considering the best card possible in the 57** series is the 5770, and that's about even in performance with the worst GTX(not GTS/GT) 400 series card, you're probably on a safe bet, as long as there's nothing wrong with the replacement card, and you have enough power supply connectors to run it.

Having said that, it's not really worth bothering with all the hoopla of uninstalling your old ATI drivers and fitting up the new card if the cards are too close in performance.

If you currently have a 5750 and the card on offer is a GTX470, then yeah, go for it. It won't change your life, but you should be able to get smoother framerates even with some settings turned up from where they are now.

• Options
    I guess that was my first question though. All the documentation, how can one tell which specific version of the card I have? All the Catalyst stuff for my ATI card says "Radeon 5700 series" and I can't find anything more specific than that, even in the system settings.

sig.gif

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    If you take the card out of your system, there should be a either a sticker or on it, or some writing on the pcb itself, usually on the back of the pcb, that will have a model number listed.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Does ATI have an auto-detect like Nvidia does? Like to choose the correct driver update? Might tell you what you have at least.

• Options
    QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular
    Install and run this to determine what the specifics are, then go here to get an idea of what (if any) benefits would be gained.

PSN/Steam - Quantux

• Options
    I ended up putting the 460 in. It felt like a pretty dramatic upgrade.

Now I want to get a 600 series GTX to see what that would do for me. :)

sig.gif

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    I ended up putting the 460 in. It felt like a pretty dramatic upgrade.

Now I want to get a 600 series GTX to see what that would do for me. :)

I have an overclocked 680, and it is sweeeeet. :)

Why yes, I would like everything on Ultra, thank you for asking.

I'm actually thinking of adding a second monitor...