As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best "Re-Sub" experience?

AzuredreamAzuredream Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
So I've done it a few times now... digging out the old CDs and patching Gigs of updates to see if the intervening years have added some polish to an old MMO. I'm thinking about doing it again, but I want to know what have been your experiences going back to one MMO or another after a long hiatus.

So far for me, the best experience has been with EQ2, which was fun for another couple of months when I gave it another shot earlier this year. They've really ironed out some of the poor design choices that the game launched with and it seems like they just about doubled the performance on my PC.

WoW (with the expansion) and EQ1 were ok - some things were new and interesting and some parts were just the same old grind.

Anarchy Online and DAOC were probably the worst. The worlds felt sort of like ghost towns.

So what game re-kindled your interest, and how?

-Azure

Pokemon Pearl Friend code: 0688 2191 3355
Azuredream on

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    CoH rekindled my interest due to the simple yet fun combat, ease of grouping, and ease of forming fairly large (8 person) groups without having to sweat "OMG TANK AND HEALER? WHERE FOR ART THOU?". Sure, having a Tanker is fine, but with 2-3 controllers in the group, it's not like things are going anywhere, and tankers seems to be far more prolific in CoH than actual 'tanks' (not "tanking classes that are spec'd for LOL DPS") are in WoW.

No loot drama, less bullshit travel (though I've lost my touch for moving around zones easily, swapping from SS to SJ makes getting around as a noob again much less painless), and it's nice to have the background chatter of the PA crew going on.

I haven't cancelled WoW, but let's just say I went from 95%+ attendance in raids for the past two years, to skipping two in a row without batting an eye. Oh, Bioshock helps too. AWOOOOOOOOO!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Azuredream wrote: »
    Anarchy Online and DAOC were probably the worst. The worlds felt sort of like ghost towns.

I can see Rubi-Ka being fairly empty, but I always thought the whole point of the Shadowlands expansion was to go explore the new, 1000x better leveling areas. I did not actually play the game before Shadowlands, but that still seems like an expansion with perhaps the biggest improvement over the base game that I've seen in any MMO.

Also, God give me the strength to never come back to WoW, but I don't think I'd have the willpower to not jump back into Earth and Beyond if pigs flew and it was picked up again.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Also, God give me the strength to never come back to WoW, but I don't think I'd have the willpower to not jump back into Earth and Beyond if pigs flew and it was picked up again.

Hear hear. I've been clear for 3-4 months now, and I think it's for good. I got that epic flyer, spent a few days with the Netherwing, and was bored.

captaink on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've been back and forth with CoX about 4 times now. Every time I left because I got tired of the "yet another warehouse" instanced mission design, then got pulled back by the costume editor and fun grouping.
    Right now I'm rolling with a robotic MM and having a blast. Effectively acting as a Dark Miasma support character for a team that I boss around? Yes please.

Glal on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As they say.

one of us
    one of us

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I may pick up CoX again.

I miss my Ninja/Force Field MM Mime. :cry:

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Idle curiosity, how exactly does a Force Field MM play? My love for Dark Miasma aside (oh I love it so), FF just seems like such a passive secondary. Since none of the MM primaries are terribly active compared to offensive sets*, wouldn't it get dull?

*crowd control and aggro manipulation aside

Glal on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, I have a 40 Thugs/Trap MM who hardly ever uses her secondary at all. Turn on FF gen, put down Acid Mortar for tough fights, and that's about it. I've always found the attraction in MM to be the primary, blasts included.

As for FF, I have an FF def and a con, and in both cases FF is just a backup to their other sets. Dispersion's on all the time, but on large teams I rarely bubble because I'd spend the entire mission just doing that. Pretty much just do it for tough fights (AVs) and when specific people have trouble understanding the concept of not dying. Everything else in the set is extremely situational and you can feel free to take other stuff.

Scooter on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

Hear hear. I've been clear for 3-4 months now, and I think it's for good. I got that epic flyer, spent a few days with the Netherwing, and was bored.

Sup got-bored-soon-after-epic-flight buddy

Anyway, my own story. About two weeks ago I started playing EVE Online again, since I wanted to see how drastic some of the recent updates were. They were REALLY drastic and practically changed the part of the game I play completely, but that wasn't why I ended up staying this time.

About three days in we had about 48 hours of an unending stream of amazing drama and laffo, best summarized by this image:

sdgsdg.gif

Bullet points from left to right:

- Tolon is one of our fleet commanders. He is British, very often drunk off his gourd, and a quite talented singer/guitarist. We look forward to these events

- BoB is our hated enemy, and arguably one of the best-skilled groups in the game. Raping them through their pants always feels good (9-9 is the name of the solarsystem the fight was in)

- An epically bad thread someone made in Space GBS, real poster of the year award type stuff. Not as awesome as the battleship rape, but still pretty lol

- These two have less to do with the game itself and more with former drama, but they were still funny. One of our corpmates (guildmates) somehow got hold of pictures of our former CEO (guild leader) in the nude and decided to show them to us. Since said former CEO had left us in a mega theft and drama flameout, it was thoroughly hilarious (especially when the squeamish arrived and saw the images).

- Same as above, only the images got spread to the official game forums, which our corp universally reviles. Mass bannings and laughs ensue.

- Said former CEO threatens to sue over said nudies even though he has no legal basis whatsoever, which he should have known given that he's a three year law student. His discomfort is our joy vOv

- Blowing up 16 POSes (Player-owned Stations/Structures) cost them a LOT of money, time, and resources, basically

- On what was supposed to be a drunken suicide mission in under/badly-geared ships, we ended up destroying several capital ships in another enemy's home system, proving once and for all that no matter how many skillpoints you have or how big your ship is, you can still be a flaming retard in them

Each of these events would be a big thing all on their own, but to get them all in 48 hours?

Man that was a good 48 hours :)

That's why I keep coming back to EVE. Not just because the developers are always willing to change the game massively if it needs to be (for better or worse), but because the people I play with tend to make it great fun, even out of EVE itself.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I started CoH at launch, and was just coming off of a fairly hardcore play style from EQ, so CoH didn't really have what I wanted. I got WoW a little bit after that, and even though it was much easier leveling, I saw the promises for the raiding and all that other bullshit that I wanted.

Now I've got more of a noncyber life going on, what with the GF and myself moving in together and all, so my commitment to video games isn't there. The last thing I want in an MMO is to have to log on for multiple hour stretches to "keep up" with the rest of the game, so I'm back to CoH where it's alot more friendly to my time commitments.

My old WoW buddies keep telling me I'll have to join them again, or come play another game with them. But fuck that, I'm having fun in CoX, soon as I'm not, then I'll go look for another game. I'm not going to switch just cause something is new.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fight the WOW attraction brothers! We should have a thread in here, where we can all share happy, fun stories about our lives/gaming now that we've quit WOW (and dr00ds). Let me start it off:

Playing Advance Wars: Dual Strike AGAIN isn't so bad, after half a dozen pints and a year's break.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    One of these months, when I have an extra $15, I'm going to resub to WoW, just for the month, and just to see if I can actually level a character.
    Also, I'd like to reactivate my EVE account for a month, but it's really not a lot of fun to play solo.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Burning out on WoW. Picked up CoX, had some fun, but not enough. Went back to WoW. Guild is falling apart, and I can't save it on my own. Taking a break. Picked up SWG, good fun for me and my roommate (also a WoW burnout). The new legacy quest line in SWG is very well done (Probably not that new). Little bored playing SWG solo (roomie was out and about), so popped in EQ2. Been having a blast with that for the last few days. Started a rogue last night, and can't wait to get home and play him. Also, SoE is letting ex-subscribers play for free for 90 days, which is fantastic.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Every MMO I've quit, I haven't looked back to.

This will likely change when my TSM WAR invite goes through and I drop CoX.

Oats on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think i'll check out WOW again once the next xpac hits, but thats like a long time away. Hell, they will probably invite me to Beta again too, knowing their general level of competence. I got like three invites last time.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I think i'll check out WOW again once the next xpac hits, but thats like a long time away. Hell, they will probably invite me to Beta again too, knowing their general level of competence. I got like three invites last time.

I got 6.

Don't ask me how, but they kept sending them, and I kept giving them out to friends.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Well, I have a 40 Thugs/Trap MM who hardly ever uses her secondary at all. Turn on FF gen, put down Acid Mortar for tough fights, and that's about it. I've always found the attraction in MM to be the primary, blasts included.
    Huh, funky. For me it's just the opposite; my fun comes from taking on Just A Bit Too Many Mobs Of Too High A Level and only surviving because I'm focusing bot fire, debuffing everyone's damage&accuracy, and <del>healing my team when needed</del> chain-healing my ass off. I only have one non-bot attack, and I plan to nix it come respec time.
    And standing in the middle of the mayham going on around me, grinning like an idiot and imagining my Mastermind casually shouting out kill orders. Because damnit, true villains don't get their hands dirty, they tell others what to do.

Glal on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When I re-subbed to EVE, no doubt. My first time through I was confused, frustrated, poor and lost. When I re-subbed, the Merch guys took me under their wing and it's changed the game for me. I am a hardcore addict now.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I resubcribed to EQ1 when they opened up Progression last summer. I started maybe 3, 4 days into the server, so everyone rushing to do things and set records had a head start. I also had a full time+ job (50 hours a week) which set me behind many of the players, since many were jobless and on break from school.

I levelled my ass off. I did tradeskills like I was getting paid to do them. I camped items I hadn't even seen in the game in 4 or 5 years, they were so outdated. I grouped in zones that hadn't seen players on a live server for months at a time. But mostly I did the tradeskills.

I had a rival, on EQPlayers, another druid who had the support of one of the top content-busting guilds on the server. She and I were battling for the top 2 slots of "Most Combined Tradeskill Points." She nearly always was ahead of me, but by sacrificing any kind of life (did I mention not sleeping?) I kept up. I did this all on my own. No guild. No friends to play my account or farm stuff for me.

By montyh's end, I decided I'd check my played time. Between July 3 and July 29 I managed to fit 9 whole days of played time into my life. 8 hours a day, every day, for a month, while working full-time. I had to give it up, besides I was at the point in tradeskills where it was costing me thousands of plat to get a few points, and it just wasn't possible for me to maintain that kind of cashflow on my own. The guilded crafter won because she had the network of support EQ requires when you get into high-end tradeskilling.

Out of curiosity, I decided to check her profile. She always was of similar level to I, but I scrolled down and saw this: 29 days of played time. Server was up for about 32 days at that point.

It took a moment for that to sink in. I wasn't competing against a single person. No. I was competing against several people taking turns. And I kept up. A team of at least 3 (maybe even just 2, if they were real fanatics) people should have grossly outpaced me an embarassing margin. They clearly had some kind of planning and coordination, whereas I was just some random shmuck with no life and a bad case of insomnia. Nothing I could do in an MMO could beat that. How many people can outplay a rotating team of several players, in a game where time investment is everything?

I cancelled my sub after that month, because I just couldn't keep doing it. But it was the most fun month I've ever sacrificed to gaming. Getting to do all the old shit in EQ1 that I loved, but couldn't do on live servers because the game has moved beyond them. Knowing all the farm spots, the respawn timers, the placeholders, playing a class I knew so well I could grind with my eyes closed.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

As for FF, I have an FF def and a con, and in both cases FF is just a backup to their other sets. Dispersion's on all the time, but on large teams I rarely bubble because I'd spend the entire mission just doing that. Pretty much just do it for tough fights (AVs) and when specific people have trouble understanding the concept of not dying. Everything else in the set is extremely situational and you can feel free to take other stuff.
    Yeah, I'm actually pretty OCD about bubbling everyone, and yeah, that's pretty much all I do.

For a flavor effect, it's nice (because, let's face it, what other secondary power would a mime have?). As far as actual power goes, I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    EVE online.

First time through, I felt the game to be boring and I was just floating around in space shooting my tiny pew pew's at mindless npc ships all day.

When I came back the second time, I learned all about PvP and the major wars going on around the universe (omg drama), and it pretty much changed the gaming experience for me forever. I feel EVE is one of the best out there, and I love how you can casually keep leveling up without effort.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]