As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Monday, September 9, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 3, Ep. 13: The Mighty Mega Nine

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, September 9, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 3, Ep. 13: The Mighty Mega Nine

Keiji Inafune's new game totally isn't Mega Man at all you guys.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The obvious answer is to place a horror game in the decaying ruins of the modern AAA game industry.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Set it in a fully-functional and staffed hospital.

You're the crazy one, is something actually wrong? Or are you just having an episode? Can you convince the staff there is a killer/ghost/demon loose? Will you fight something that is a real threat/not even there/actually an innocent victim?

• Options
    NecroxNecrox Registered User regular
    @Falx That avatar makes Ievan Polkka run on loop in my head.

• Options
    Arsene-LupinArsene-Lupin Registered User regular
    @Falx: why would you do that and then rely on tired monster tropes? Set the game in a normal hospital; the player is a normal patient in for a routine procedure; but the doctors want to perform a crazy-dangerous operation instead. What do you do? Run? Cry? Beg?

• Options
    IllessaIllessa Registered User regular
    @Faix the whole point of Asylum Jam is to create horror games that don't stigmatise mental illness so umm, not the best pitch.

@Arsene-Lupin's idea is pretty interesting, yay helplessness and body horror! Tricky to do something substantial without falling into "Are you/they insane ooooooh" tropes, but could be awesome as a short vignette or in a scifi setting

• Options
    EusixEusix Registered User regular
    As someone currently getting over the Pax Pox, I sympathize with Graham and got a chuckle out of his first line. Germs!

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    In fairness to Mighty No. 9, it doesn't need any kind of justification. It doesn't need to be anything other than superficially different.. Inafune clearly wants wants to make MegaMan, but the only way he can is my making not-MegaMan.

Stop being stupid, Capcom.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    jaguthjaguth Registered User new member
    Street Racer for the PS1 multi-player allowed up to 8 players simultaneously... in split screen. Think about it: low res CRT, left screen had 4 boxes to to bottom, right screen had 4 boxes top to bottom. I couldn't even get 8 people to play simultaneously, but i got eight controllers just to test it! Ridiculousness.

• Options
    WarpZoneWarpZone Registered User regular
    I'm on board for Mighty No. 9. Look at it this way, it's like Supreme Commander except that in this case both the developers and license-holders are too polite to call it what it is.

If only Double Fine Adventure Game had done this, we could be playing not-Psychonauts!

• Options
    Zachary AmaranthZachary Amaranth Registered User regular
    Low-res games on a low-res screen are easier to make out when split up.

• Options
    UNHchaboUNHchabo Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Graham speaks of Goldeneye on a 24 inch TV, but one of LoadingReadyRun's early videos shows the crew playing on a Commodore 64 monitor, which I think is 13 inches!

http://youtu.be/oU1mQKC4-Zk

And I know several kids who played Goldeneye on their own TV instead of the "family" TV, so they often played on tiny screens as well.

UNHchabo on
  • Options
    bruceskibruceski Registered User regular
    Nobody mentions a convention as a horror game setting? Dead Rising with merch from all your favorite webcomics!

WoW - Baelgun server
    Beohrn, 70 tauren druid
    random alts.

Wii number -- 0277 0746 9561 0171
    --Metroid Prime 3
  • Options
    innomininnomin Registered User regular
    I'm perplexed as to why Microsoft would use 8 controllers as a selling point. The current-gen PS3 has always supported up to 7 controllers at the same time. And even so, no game actually supports seven players, because it's just not something anyone is interested in.

The split screen jokes are just another PR blunder, which only gives the impression that no one at MS has any idea what they're doing. Are they eventually going to research their competitors or focus group these bad PR ideas before announcing them publicly? Or can we expect every episode of Checkpoint until November to have more Microsoft joke news?

...dang it Microsoft, you make me so mad sometimes... X(

• Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    WarpZone wrote: »
    I'm on board for Mighty No. 9. Look at it this way, it's like Supreme Commander except that in this case both the developers and license-holders are too polite to call it what it is.

If only Double Fine Adventure Game had done this, we could be playing not-Psychonauts!

Damnit @warpzone, PsychoNOTs...IT WAS OBVIOUS, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING SIR??

No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    PinPrickNachoMancyPinPrickNachoMancy Registered User regular
    @Kathleen, it's funny because the first thing I thought of was my middle school. Seriously, having to run from bullies and teachers alike would make a really astonishingly frightening game.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Honestly, nowadays Black Fridays at Walmart aren't really that bad. Corporate and management have figured out systems and lines and whatnot way ahead of time so that people can wait up all night for their TV that's 20 dollars cheaper than normal. Probably would end up being like Papers, Please, except without the chance of a happy ending.

What's truly horrifying are bathrooms. Apparently the "Hey, I don't have to clean it" mentality leads to people pooping on *everything*. Could be like that one game demo who's name I can't remember at the moment... the one where you're playing a space janitor cleaning up a spaceship after a squad of space marines came through and fought off aliens. Instead of severed heads and blood everywhere, you'd be picking up used tampons that are stuck on the ceiling.

Maybe a bonus mini-game where you have to clean up carts because people are too lazy to put the cart actually inside the cart rack that they parked next to.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I'd like to see people try the horror genre without relying on death, or the threat of death, as a mechanism. There are a lot of other things that can cause fear.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Sterling7Sterling7 Registered User regular
    Kathleen...? Are you okay? I mean, you're always funny, and if your hair is just a little messy because you forced yourself out of bed with a PAX-acquired virus, so it goes. But it seems like you look more pale with every new show. Take care of yourself, all right?

• Options
    osteichthyesosteichthyes Registered User new member
    Somehow, illness made Graham Stark sexier than evar. Canadian racial ability?

• Options
    Alkaiser90Alkaiser90 Registered User new member
    You forgot the part about Mighty No. 9 that was about the entire reasoning behind Keiji Inafune starting his own company. Capcom cancelled Megaman Legends 3, which is where the basis of the game came from. So, he took the data they'd painstakingly and lovingly worked on and continued to make the game via the kickstarter, starting his own company in the process. I mean, it's not like he's doing it to rip himself off: He's doing it to finish a project that shouldn't have been cancelled in the first place, by a company that ignored what their fans, and their employees were asking wholeheartedly for. Shame on you guys. You normally have good commentary to say about these kinds of things.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Somehow, illness made Graham Stark sexier than evar. Canadian racial ability?
    It's bullshit, is what it is. Nerf Canadians.

• Options
    JeremiadJeremiad Registered User regular
    Xcom is the only strategy game I can think of where playing it on a console did the game more justice. Then again, it's turn based, not RTS, so it's not like it matters. The real joke being Microsoft's unbelievably stupid DLC rules.