As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] ...maybe they should have hired a professional

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    It's stunning how many people utterly fail to grasp how shared disk works between failover nodes.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I had a sales person tell me that both can access it at the same time blah blah blah. I'm not stunned at all.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Technically they can, if you're not against some good ol' fashioned data corruption.

Cog wrote: »
    Technically they can, if you're not against some good ol' fashioned data corruption.

Seems pretty important!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »

Seems pretty important!

Bah, he's in sales. Data corruption is your problem.

• finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Doing a VM Ware upgrade and moving the VDI's to Win 7. Got paged last night after clearing out the server of the last of the XP VDI's that were used for Signboard monitoring. Turns out someone decided to take one of these VDI's and set up a SQL database and use it as a reporting server. Their data loss for using a SIGNBOARD for their reporting server.
    **FACEDESK**

finalbroadcast.jpg
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I just been asked to convert our last fax machine to a digital fax service. Kind of reminds me of The Last Unicorn. Seeing as the ocean is about 10 blocks away, I kind of want to get a giant red bull to slow knock the fax machine into the ocean. Sadly, I may be the only person in my office who gets it.

Meh... I'm laughing on the inside at least

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    To interject some good news in this thread today - I haven't had to deal directly with a user yet.

I activated a new phone but just emailed them to turn it on etc etc.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Activated a new phone?

That sounds like BES talk, friend. *hand edges toward pistol*

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    New thread title suggestions?

I vote for something with characters Vanilla doesn't allow :P

EDIT: Wait, no, I vote for "Sell the dream, service the nightmare."

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Seems pretty important!

Bah, he's in sales. Data corruption is your problem.

Sell the dream, service the nightmare

Le_Goat wrote: »
    I just been asked to convert our last fax machine to a digital fax service. Kind of reminds me of The Last Unicorn. Seeing as the ocean is about 10 blocks away, I kind of want to get a giant red bull to slow knock the fax machine into the ocean. Sadly, I may be the only person in my office who gets it.

Meh... I'm laughing on the inside at least

I get it. :^:

As a poor substitute, you could drink a shitload of Red Bull and go throw it in the ocean.

Just spent about 45 mins wracking my brains, trying every solution I knew, trying to figure out why the machine I was working on wasn't communicating with our systems.

...cable wasn't plugged in.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    Aioua wrote: »
    Just spent about 45 mins wracking my brains, trying every solution I knew, trying to figure out why the machine I was working on wasn't communicating with our systems.

Rules to live by

Step One: Check the cables.

Rules to live by

The cable was the first thing I did:
    Set up machine, plug in cable.
    Oh, this cable is too short to reach the hub.
    Move the machine closer.
    Ah, now it reaches.

Who can spot the flaw?

I bet you plugged the phone cable into the NIC, didn't you?!

Rules to live by

The cable was the first thing I did:
    Set up machine, plug in cable.
    Oh, this cable is too short to reach the hub.
    Move the machine closer.
    Ah, now it reaches.

Who can spot the flaw?

A user is involved?

When I went back to plug it in after moving the machine, I plugged in an identical cable that happened to be laying there and wasn't actually connect to anything.

So yeah, user error.

When I went back to plug it in after moving the machine, I plugged in an identical cable that happened to be laying there and wasn't actually connect to anything.

So yeah, user error.
    If it makes you feel any better, I once spent over 30-45 minutes working on a printer that wasn't responding. Turns out that when I checked the cables, I had accidentally plugged it back into the USB type-A slot, which evidently allows for a pretty snug fit. I figured it out when I got fed up and unplugged everything to start over. Yup... that was slightly embarrassing.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Anybody know how to go about moving SEP virus definitions from their default location? I want to free up some space on the C drive of a system, but you can't choose the location of these huge ass files.

Even in safe mode, with no SEP services running the system throws a fit when I try to move the files and create a junction to them.

Ugh.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Also we discovered today that one of the archiving jobs on a system hasn't been working since 2007 (who the *fuck* was looking after this thing before me?) and that this has caused

a) A folder than contains well over a million files

and

b) a text file that has hit the size limit for files on 32 bit systems.

Oh joy. I have to fix this.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    Also we discovered today that one of the archiving jobs on a system hasn't been working since 2007 (who the *fuck* was looking after this thing before me?) and that this has caused

a) A folder than contains well over a million files

and

b) a text file that has hit the size limit for files on 32 bit systems.

Oh joy. I have to fix this.

Whatever you do, for the love of god, do not double click that file

TL DR wrote: »
    Activated a new phone?

That sounds like BES talk, friend. *hand edges toward pistol*

Not anymore thank goodness. Our users can't be trusted to call ATT and activate replacements for Blackberries though

edited September 2013
    Anybody know how to go about moving SEP virus definitions from their default location? I want to free up some space on the C drive of a system, but you can't choose the location of these huge ass files.

Even in safe mode, with no SEP services running the system throws a fit when I try to move the files and create a junction to them.

Ugh.

You could try something like MoveLater, a utility you configure to delete/rename/move files on next reboot, when the OS doesn't have them locked down. But this post from a Symantec employee seems to suggest that once installation is complete the location of the repository is hard coded, so maybe moving it isn't a great idea. Uninstall/Reinstall would probably give you an option to change your target folder for the installation, which might then include a change for the repository. That's a really messy solution, though.

TL;DR: Buy more disk.

EDIT: I guess you could do something drastic like MoveLater'ing them to a different drive and mount that drive as a folder, spoofing the current repository folder location. But holy shit that sounds dicey.

Cog on
    Hm, today is going to be a whiskey Friday, I can tell.

I was here an hour earlier for a shipment we paid first priority on and it didn't show up yet. Users are being stupid(er), and I can't find a receipt I need for an expense report - a 1500 dollar receipt.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    So i'm at another new job I can't really disclose the location of but i'm in charge of the backups..switched weekly tapes out today, which was in itself an ordeal as tapes are a bit before my time and i'd never dealt with them before, turns out I have to swap out 150+ tapes..every.week. fml. The SAN backups go to several different 100 TB arrays, hundreds of servers backing up to them, i'd say about half the backups are working, and they're now solely my problem. I want to crawl into a corner and die. The last guys were apparently fired because they lost about a year+ worth of mapping data in a flood and the backups weren't working. sigh.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited September 2013
    So i'm at another new job I can't really disclose the location of but i'm in charge of the backups..switched weekly tapes out today, which was in itself an ordeal as tapes are a bit before my time and i'd never dealt with them before, turns out I have to swap out 150+ tapes..every.week. fml. The SAN backups go to several different 100 TB arrays, hundreds of servers backing up to them, i'd say about half the backups are working, and they're now solely my problem. I want to crawl into a corner and die. The last guys were apparently fired because they lost about a year+ worth of mapping data in a flood and the backups weren't working. sigh.

That is a lousy situation man, sorry.

Beg them to implement a VTL. The cost savings from not having to carry that sort of freakishly bloated tape inventory should pretty much pay for itself.

PLEASE tell me they aren't backing up hundreds of TB with backup exec like every fucking place seems to and backup exec is a shit program FUCK can we stop using it already?!?!

Cog on

Beg them to implement a VTL. The cost savings from not having to carry that sort of freakishly bloated tape inventory should pretty much pay for itself.

PLEASE tell me they aren't backing up hundreds of TB with backup exec like every fucking place seems to and backup exec is a shit program FUCK can we stop using it already?!?!

Yes, yes they are, it's also my first time seeing backupexec but so far I agree with your assessment of it.

edited September 2013
    Using Backup Exec to handle hundreds of TB worth of data is like using a bicycle pump to inflate your monster truck tires.

Yeah, if you have enough time on your hands, you might get there eventually, but there are literally infinity ways of doing it that will do it faster, better, more cost effectively and won't eventually erode the soul of and kill the poor motherfucker frantically working that shitty little pump.

Cog on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

Yes, yes they are, it's also my first time seeing backupexec but so far I agree with your assessment of it.

Oh my god.

Seriously, how do you sleep at night?

I gave up on backupexec and our tape library and went with carbonite.

So much better.

I may tackle backupexec and our autoloader in the future for EXTREMELY CRITICAL data in the tunes of maybe a gig or two.

edited September 2013

Ugh.
    I've had to deal with this pretty frequently on a couple of servers, which consistently drop below 1 GB of free space. Your best bet it to do a search for *.dat files that are at least 10240 KB. Delete the ones that are not the most recent. This will usually free up about a GB.

Backup Exec is okay; it's Symantec that fucking sucks balls. Those asshats still haven't figured out my BE agents support and it's been 3 months and never sent what they claim they will, nor return calls. We're completely ditching Symantec by the end of this fiscal year and we're never turning back. Good mothaschrunchin' riddance, jerkwads.

Le_Goat on
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    The day we moved our last client from Backup Exec to StorageCraft, the entire consulting team went bar-hopping in SF.

edited September 2013
    Symantec is a shit company that got soft when they were the major player with all the name recognition. They haven't innovated a goddamn thing in years and most of their current "best" (haha) products are things from other companies that they bought out and then proceeded to take a giant shit on.

Cog on
    Some colleagues and I were debating last week whether a former leader sitting on its laurels and crashing down should be called the RIM syndrome or the Symantec syndrome. I voted for the Nintendo syndrome but they refuted it on the basis that Nintendo's syndrome is cyclical.

We discuss serious fucking business over here is what I'm saying.

Mei Hikari wrote: »
    Some colleagues and I were debating last week whether a former leader sitting on its laurels and crashing down should be called the RIM syndrome or the Symantec syndrome. I voted for the Nintendo syndrome but they refuted it on the basis that Nintendo's syndrome is cyclical.

We discuss serious fucking business over here is what I'm saying.

VMWare is starting to flirt with this. They're still a current leader, but they've started to get comfy.

Considering the recent announcements of VSAN and NSX, I have some serious reservations about that judgment.

Apparently we are trying to transition away from the backupexec tapes to HP Dataprotect, but, HP dataprotect keeps corrupting and eating its backup stores and HP Support has no idea why. HP fucking up and doing nothing right? surprise surprise.

Got my expense report receipt but I am not in a hulk smash mood because somebody just asked me 4 times in 5 minutes for the name of the VPN server.

WRITE IT DOWN THE FIRST DAMN TIME you moron. I am busy.......

reading PA forums.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The RIMantec syndrome. Split the difference.

This discussion has been closed.