As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BSG:BG] Daybreak Game 1 - Game Over

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Turn 6: Helena Cain (Professor Phobos)

The following Destination card has been selected:

A Civilian Convoy - Distance +3
    Lose 3 Fuel and gain 1 Population. The Admiral may choose to lose 1 Morale to gain 1 Fuel.

Professor Phobos elects not to lose 1 Morale to gain 1 Fuel. The other Destination card is returned to the bottom of the Destination deck. The main board is cleared of Vipers and Louanne "Kat" Katraine returns to the Hangar Deck; Cylon ships are moved to the Cylon Fleet board. Jump preparation returns to Level 1 - Jump unavailable.

Turn 7: D'Anna Biers (Kaneski)

Receive Skills Step: D'Anna Biers (Kaneski) draws 1 Politics and 1 Engineering card.

Current Situation:
    BSGBG-GameD01-T07-1.gif
    Resources: Fuel - 4, Food - 8, Morale - 7, Population - 13.

Jump Preparation: Level 1 - Jump unavailable.
    Pursuit Track: Level 1.

Distance Covered: 3

Galactica: Weapons Control damaged, no boarding parties.
    Pegasus: Engine Room damaged.

Nuke Tokens: 2 remain.
    Quorum Cards: 3 in hand.

Active Quorum Cards:
    Accept Prophecy - Prevent transfer of President title via the Administration location or increase difficulty of Admiral's Quarters checks against the President by 2; card is used once before discarded.

Ship Reserves: 6 Viper Mk II, 3 Raptors, and 1 Assault Raptor available, 4 Viper Mk VIIs damaged.

Characters:
    Samuel "Doc" Cottle (Kirindal) - Research Lab (0 Skill Cards)
    Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) - President's Office (6 Skill Cards, 2 Mutiny Cards, 1 Miracle Token, Mutineer)
    Gaius Baltar, Daybreak ver. (Phyphor) - Research Lab (6 Skill Cards, 2 Miracle Tokens)
    CAG Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Grunt's Ghosts) - Hangar Deck (5 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    Lee Adama, Daybreak ver. (Tenek) - Quorum Chamber (5 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    Admiral-President Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) - Sickbay (4 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    D'Anna Biers (Kaneski) - Human Fleet (3 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)

Galactica Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - None.
    Starboard-bow (11 o'clock) - None.
    Starboard-quarter (1 o'clock) - None.
    Aft (3 o'clock) - 2 Civilian Ships.
    Port-quarter (5 o'clock) - None.
    Port-bow (7 o'clock) - None.

Cylon Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - 1 Basestar, 1 Heavy Raider.
    Starboard-bow (11 o'clock) - 2 Raiders.
    Aft (3 o'clock) - 3 Raiders.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I'm not happy we're at 4 Fuel with only one jump, but I thought being responsible for the loss of four morale by the time my first turn was over was a bit much.

• KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Nice distance, but damn fuel-intensive. Need to do the Demetrius mission for 2 distance, get Baltar to magic up some fuels and use Captain's Cabin on Demetrius to mine the shit out of Tactics for Scout for Fuel. As far as I can work out, the most effective demetrius use is: plant a character on Captain's cabin for card draws; get another character to use Tactical Plot to have a look at the mission card and... suggest the colors. Adama should XO the person on Captain's Cabin, while at the bridge - the XO'ed player draws the colors we need, then Adama uses his ability to activate bridge. Also, I think at the moment Mr Lampkin is ideal for sitting on Captain's Cabin, since he (probably) will use his action to drop/use a Mutiny card. Doc can help Adama get XOs.

2 things I consider for my turn: 1. Spacing Hoshi put a dent in the card economy, and if I come over - instant crisis. Romo volunteered his Miracle token, so Baltar has his 3rd. I'll still contribute mine, but I can now do it later, and prevent a crisis draw until Doc gets some cards. 2. Since Cain is very likely getting XO'ed at some point before the next jump, I might just try and set up a decent destination for a blind.

Movement - stay at Human Fleet. Action - Activate Human Fleet location to look at top Destination card. Draw Politics/Engineering (Edit - forget the bold, every single time)

Kaneski on
    I'm not happy we're at 4 Fuel with only one jump, but I thought being responsible for the loss of four morale by the time my first turn was over was a bit much.

Yeah, no kidding... rough set of crisis' on the first jump...

Destination Received and placed on Top of the deck

Ok Lads, Cain can use the blind jump if needed - the destination is decent and fuel-efficient.

• TenekTenek Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Haven't seen the Demetrius things yet, but... since Cottle doesn't draw Leadership we can't Blind Jump on this turn. Maybe grabbing a mission and hoping for bonus distance would help.

Tenek on
    edited September 2013
    Cottle can mosey on over to the Demetrius Captain's cabin and give everyone a green. Someone's bound to draw an XO...

Edit: also, the mission should be scouted with Plot... I don't think with the current economy we can do one...

Kaneski on
    edited September 2013
    Turn 7: D'Anna Biers (Kaneski)

Movement Step: Kaneski remains at Human Fleet.
    Action Step: Look at the top card of the Destination deck. Kaneski places the card back on top of the deck, then draws 1 Politics and 1 Engineering card.

D'Anna begins covert operations in the human fleet, gaining bits of information regarding the fleet's heading.

Turn 8: Samuel "Doc" Cottle (Kirindal)

Receive Skills Step: Samuel "Doc" Cottle (Kirindal) draws 1 Politics, 2 Tactics, and 2 Engineering cards.

Current Situation:
    BSGBG-GameD01-T08-1.gif
    Resources: Fuel - 4, Food - 8, Morale - 7, Population - 13.

Jump Preparation: Level 1 - Jump unavailable.
    Pursuit Track: Level 1.

Active Quorum Cards:
    Accept Prophecy - Prevent transfer of President title via the Administration location or increase difficulty of Admiral's Quarters checks against the President by 2; card is used once before discarded.

Ship Reserves: 6 Viper Mk II, 3 Raptors, and 1 Assault Raptor available, 4 Viper Mk VIIs damaged.

Characters:
    Samuel "Doc" Cottle (Kirindal) - Research Lab (5 Skill Cards)
    Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) - President's Office (6 Skill Cards, 2 Mutiny Cards, 1 Miracle Token, Mutineer)
    Gaius Baltar, Daybreak ver. (Phyphor) - Research Lab (6 Skill Cards, 2 Miracle Tokens)
    CAG Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Grunt's Ghosts) - Hangar Deck (5 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    Lee Adama, Daybreak ver. (Tenek) - Quorum Chamber (5 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    Admiral-President Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) - Sickbay (4 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    D'Anna Biers (Kaneski) - Human Fleet (5 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)

Galactica Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - None.

Cylon Space:
    Starboard-bow (11 o'clock) - 2 Raiders.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Kaneski wrote: »
    Cottle can mosey on over to the Demetrius Captain's cabin and give everyone a green. Someone's bound to draw an XO...

Edit: also, the mission should be scouted with Plot... I don't think with the current economy we can do one...

I am really curious as to what motives you drew. You're being so pro-human that I imagine it would be like Improve Efficiency + Remove the Threat or some other easy combination

Phyphor on
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    She's probably lying about them anyways. >.>

edited September 2013
    Maybe, maybe not. Didn't draw tre. Volunteered opg. Won't know about the destination until later, but a possibly-helpful turn

Phyphor on
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not. Didn't draw tre. Volunteered opg. Won't know about the destination until later, but a possibly-helpful turn

There's only 1 combination of Motives I can find (out of all of them, cylon and human) that a cylon leader can draw that lets them go all-out kill-all-humans from first turn. Everything else requires at least partial help (and you filthy meatsacks need it), or at the very least - hedging until Sleeper.

Only savor their demise/no unnecessary force are really incompatible with T1 kill all humans. But, you're (apparently) not even hedging

edited September 2013
    Only savor their demise/no unnecessary force are really incompatible with T1 kill all humans. But, you're (apparently) not even hedging

Ok, moving into strictly hypothetical.

On their own - sure. But... a CL needs 2 motives of the same alignment to win. So if the game's over before sleeper, the CL must fulfill BOTH motives to win. Which means if the CL gets a single 'human' allegiance - he can't kill all humans until he gets at least a different set. Out of the resource-based Cylon motives, pre-Sleeper, the CL can only force loss via fuel... which is unlikely, since the most common loss is distance. Getting any 1 of the resources as a motive is... kill 1/3 of all humans, really... Treachery - easy. Justified response - doable, but with new Treachery deck it would be hard.

So yeah, the only combination I found is Fight with Honor/Justified response that lets a CL go kill-all-humans. Treachery is easy to pick up, and after first jump - odds are the jump track will advance before the cylons come in.

Coming out of strictly hypothetical.

No, I'm not hedging. Like I said - I'm stuck with you meatbags, and you're not making it easy with your decisions so far. (Redacted)
    You're being so pro-human that I imagine it would be like Improve Efficiency + Remove the Threat or some other easy combination

Pfft, please. You know as well as I how quickly shit goes down after some cylons come out. I'm not worried about any resource-based objectives. Pop is usually hard to bring down, but with Cain in the game...

Kaneski on
  • KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Discard Engineering 3 - Calculations to have Cottle hop the next Raptor to the Demetrius' Captain's Cabin. Everyone gets an Leadership card.

edited September 2013

Movement Step: Kirindal discards Engineering 3 - Calculations to move to Captain's Cabin.
    Action Step: All players draw 1 Leadership card.

Doc Cottle transfers to Demetrius to support the expedition team. Meanwhile, Helena Cain has to pick up where Lee Adama left off, receiving word that previous rationing plans do not seem to be working out.

Crisis Step: Food Shortage

President Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) must choose:
    A) -2 Food.
    OR
    B) -1 Food. The President discards 2 Skill Cards, then the current player discards 3 Skill Cards.

After Crisis: Activate Raiders, Advance Jump Preparation

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    You threw away calculations? That like one of the most useful cards in the deck

It wasn't as handy as the other cards in my hand. And I felt it was the lesser of evils to sacrifice to hop to the Cabin.

edited September 2013
    Kaneski wrote: »

Ok, moving into strictly hypothetical.

On their own - sure. But... a CL needs 2 motives of the same alignment to win. So if the game's over before sleeper, the CL must fulfill BOTH motives to win. Which means if the CL gets a single 'human' allegiance - he can't kill all humans until he gets at least a different set. Out of the resource-based Cylon motives, pre-Sleeper, the CL can only force loss via fuel... which is unlikely, since the most common loss is distance. Getting any 1 of the resources as a motive is... kill 1/3 of all humans, really... Treachery - easy. Justified response - doable, but with new Treachery deck it would be hard.

So yeah, the only combination I found is Fight with Honor/Justified response that lets a CL go kill-all-humans. Treachery is easy to pick up, and after first jump - odds are the jump track will advance before the cylons come in.

Coming out of strictly hypothetical.

No, I'm not hedging. Like I said - I'm stuck with you meatbags, and you're not making it easy with your decisions so far. (Redacted)
    You're being so pro-human that I imagine it would be like Improve Efficiency + Remove the Threat or some other easy combination

Pfft, please. You know as well as I how quickly shit goes down after some cylons come out. I'm not worried about any resource-based objectives. Pop is usually hard to bring down, but with Cain in the game...

Sure, but even if you have one of the resource cards you're fine. False sense is the only problematic one, but the others? Food/pop rarely lose games, especially if you pressure hard early on and don't go for kill all civvies

Phyphor on
    edited September 2013
    In a 7 player game? No chance. You only get 2 cards across up to 6 skill checks, plus a kick in the shins every 7th turn. Not enough tempo to do focused damage. In a 5-player, sure. You can try convincing the humans to dump resources, but...

So I still think the better CL play is to preserve the needed resource to plan for the longer game, so the CL will help with one particular thing and not be too bothered about the rest.

Humm... might move this discussion to Daybreak thread, if either of us can be stuffed.

For my part, hail humanity!

Kaneski on
    Jeez, I am making a lot of decisions. I'm good with discarding cards to save some food. That seem about right to everyone?

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Sure.

Unless either you AND Kirindal are holding solid gold, yeah. Trading cards for a resource would be worth... maybe... 14-16 points worth of cards + their effects.

Option B.

I discard Tactics 3 - Strategic Planning and Leadership 4 - Restore Order.

In that case, I discard Engineering 5 - Scientific Research, Tactics 0 - Quick Thinking, and Tactics 0 - Trust Instincts.

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    You really value Trust Instincts over Calculations? Something has gone horribly wrong...

It seems more universally handier than Calculations, which is more applicable to only certain situations.

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Trust Instincts is only a good play if the crisis in question has 3 colors or more, or you're really desperate, and in either case it can still do considerable damage. Calculations only has upside, and we roll dice literally all the time.

I mean, it's even useful to keep in your hand if you're a Cylon. But anyway, sorry, gonna drop it now. Let's just play and hope we don't die horribly.

edited September 2013

Crisis Step: Food Shortage

Professor Phobos selects Option B, -1 Food and discarding Tactics 3 - Strategic Planning and Leadership 4 - Restore Order. Kirindal discards Engineering 5 - Scientific Research, Tactics 0 - Quick Thinking, and Tactics 0 - Trust Instincts.

Working with Doc Cottle, Helena Cain drafts a new rationing plan, though not without making some sacrifices to remaining stores.

After Crisis: One Raider is placed in the Starboard-bow (11 o'clock) section of the Cylon Fleet Board. Pursuit Track advances to Level 2 - Grunt's Ghosts, you must place one civilian ship in a space area around Galactica (Aft (3 o'clock) excluded, as there are already ships there).

Geth roll 1d8 for Activate Raiders

Activate Raiders:
    1d8 5 [1d8=5]

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    @Grunt's Ghosts, where will you place the Civilian Ship?

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    At work so 5

edited September 2013

After Crisis: Grunt's Ghosts places the Civilian ship at the Port-quarter (5 o'clock). Jump Preparation advances to Level 2 - Jump unavailable.

Turn 9: Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah)

Receive Skills Step: Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) draws 3 Politics and 2 Tactics cards.

Current Situation:
    BSGBG-GameD01-T09-1.gif
    Resources: Fuel - 4, Food - 7, Morale - 7, Population - 13.

Jump Preparation: Level 2 - Jump unavailable.
    Pursuit Track: Level 2.

Active Quorum Cards:

Characters:
    Samuel "Doc" Cottle (Kirindal) - Captain's Cabin (2 Skill Cards)
    Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) - President's Office (12 Skill Cards, 2 Mutiny Cards, 1 Miracle Token, Mutineer)
    Gaius Baltar, Daybreak ver. (Phyphor) - Research Lab (7 Skill Cards, 2 Miracle Tokens)
    CAG Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Grunt's Ghosts) - Hangar Deck (6 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    Lee Adama, Daybreak ver. (Tenek) - Quorum Chamber (6 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    Admiral-President Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) - Sickbay (3 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    D'Anna Biers (Kaneski) - Human Fleet (6 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)

Galactica Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - None.
    Port-quarter (5 o'clock) - 1 Civilian Ship.

Cylon Space:
    Starboard-bow (11 o'clock) - 3 Raiders.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    This fleet doesn't need a president who murders innocent, loyal ECO officers. Can we really trust someone this unstable, who, rumor has it, recently checked into the psych ward on Galactica? This spoiled dictator, who allowed her dog to ruin an irreplaceable Raptor, who hoards all the food for herself, whose reckless ways have led to record drops in fleet morale, must be deposed! End the god-emperorhood! Freedom for humanity! Who's with me?!

Actually, don't answer that. It's clear the real fleet is on my side.

Play Mutiny Card - Impeachment - Action: Discard 5 Skill Cards to take the President title. Then, discard this card.

Discard:

Politics 0 - Force Their Hand
    Politics 1 - Consolidate Power
    Politics 2 - Consolidate Power
    Tactics 0 - Quick Thinking
    Tactics 1 - Launch Scout

Real explanation: I make a better president than Cain, I might've had to discard some cards anyway, and I'd prefer to stay out of the brig if the next crisis has jump prep.

Movement Step: blahmcblah remains at the President's Office.
    Action Step: Play Mutiny Card "Impeachment", discarding Politics 0 - Force Their Hand, Politics 1 - Consolidate Power, Politics 2 - Consolidate Power, Tactics 0 - Quick Thinking, and Tactics 1 - Launch Scout to gain the President title card.

With Helena Cain still out of commission, Romo Lampkin seizes a big opportunity to convince enough people around the fleet to not only end the declaration of martial law, but to also install himself as the new president of the fleet. His first order of business? Addressing an all too familiar food and water rationing plan...

Crisis Step: Water Shortage

President Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) must choose:
    A) -1 Food
    OR
    B) The President discards 2 Skill Cards, then the current player discards 3 Skill Cards.

After Crisis: Activate Basestars, Advance Jump Preparation

4463rwiq7r47.png
    This again? I already discarded all the crap from my hand. Water for all! Option A.

Spreading the food around was one of my campaign promises, after all. And on my honor as an attorney, I always keep my promises. Also this issue has cropped up twice before already, so I think we're just about done with it this time.

edited September 2013

Crisis Card: blahmcblah selects option A, -1 Food.

The new President decides that the ration plans have been meddled with enough, and that the slight increase in resource consumption will be worth it to keep the peace.

After Crisis: A basestar is added to the Starboard-quarter (1 o'clock) area of the Cylon Fleet Board. The Pursuit track advances to Level 3. Jump Preparation advances to Level 3 - Jump unavailable. As Mutineer, blahmcblah draws 1 Mutiny Card.

Geth roll 1d8 for Activate Basestars

Activate Basestars:
    1d8 3 [1d8=3]

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    I need another volunteer for OPG sacrifice since the cylon leader hasn't come to visit. I'm also likely going to need an XO at some point if we are going to blind jump right after this one