As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] ...maybe they should have hired a professional

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The RIMantec syndrome. Split the difference.

As in "They're hopelessly RIMantec?"

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Sold.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Just wanna get home and watch some movies.

Nope. Internet is fucked.

So now I have to deal with 7 shades Indian call centre retard hell.

Guess that's karma for working for a company that makes call centre software.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    Considering the recent announcements of VSAN and NSX, I have some serious reservations about that judgment.

To VMWare's credit, they are still trying to innovate, but my personal experience is they're getting a little soft on their VM core product and the quality has gone downhill.

Maybe just anecdotes bein' anecdotes. Its not like I'm primed to jump ship for Hyper-V, but VMWare has seemed a bit less stable and reliable recently. It doesn't help when you attend VMWorld and they tell you that you should specifically not be using features like resource pools.

Cog on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I have three very large drives sitting next to me in an enclosure. There are to be the home for my new backups once I get Veame installed.

Here is the question: software raid via Windows or hardware raid?

NAS

edited September 2013
    software raid via Windows

Never this. Never, never, never, EVER this. Software raid unloads all the processing and thinking about the raid from a little onboard piece of hardware that has no other function than to spend its little life devoting its meager brain power to controlling a raid, and places that onus on the operating system, which always has something better to do with its time.

It is, 100% of the time, a poorer performing solution that has the added joyous benefit of the raid shitting the bed if windows happens to.

NEVER.

Cog on
    I see. Let's check out my budget and see what more damage I can do.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    No, seriously, don't let windows anywhere near your RAID. Bad Things will happen. Like the R rotting off, leaving you with AID and a bad taste in your mouth.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    mm aids

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    No, seriously, don't let windows anywhere near your RAID. Bad Things will happen. Like the R rotting off, leaving you with AID and a bad taste in your mouth.

I haven't got any clue why windows raid is still a thing. It is a thing that should not be.

I am glad I asked before blundering off into the menus.

It just looked so easy.

Cog wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I haven't got any clue why windows raid is still a thing. It is a thing that should not be.

Probably mostly for JBOD arrays for the end user. I use it exclusively because the mobo I have doesn't have RAID capabilities and I'll be fucked if I'm going to spend money on it.

I take full responsibility for data loss there though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Just buy a synology and dump the drives in it.

It just looked so easy.

Its very alluring. Like drinking the salt water. But that way lies madness.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular

It just looked so easy.
    I've never even tried it. I always do hardware RAID arrays

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    I have a storage pool on my windows 2012 server at home, but that shit is backed up all to hell, and to be fair it's not exactly software RAID.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I use software raid via Windows 7, via mirrored raid 1, and I think all home users should go this route.
    If the drive dies, I can buy a new drive, any drive, any manufacturer, any size (as long as it's equal or bigger in size), pop it into my box, and Windows will just re-mirror, using the new drive.
    If the machine crashes, I can pop out one drive, put it into another Windows box, and read the data.
    No hardware compatibility crap to worry about.

In a hardware raid solution, you need the exact hardware when a raid drive dies, or when the raid controller dies.
    As in, slightly different hard drives, and the raid controller will refuse to mirror.
    Or if the raid controller dies, you need the exact same raid controller to read your hard drives.
    If the machine dies, you might need the exact same machine to read your hard drives.
    Basically, a ton of hardware compatibility issues to worry about.
    Way too much of a headache for a home user.

So, how much CPU does Windows raid eat up? Almost nothing.
    http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=429
    According to this testing, the difference between using Windows raid 1 vs a non-raid drive is under 1% CPU utilization most of the time.
    The worst case is a sequential write scenario, where Windows raid 1 uses 2% more CPU than writing to a non-raid drive.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
    software raid is fine for personal use ( as long as you keep daily backups). what we're saying is never to use it for business because it lacks reliability, performance, and business support.

• TomatoTomato Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, in the real world, how intensive is Exchange 2010/13? I've just finished my home lab and it's hosted on a VM with 4 cores and 4GB of RAM and performance has been dreadful. As soon as I have one user connected, the CPU usage spikes to 100% and stays there. It's even worse when I'm actually using the OWA. I guess that a dedicated email might lessen the load as Exchange doesn't have the handle the browser part?

I can't even imagine an enterprise with several thousands users who are all actively using email. Do you split roles and use beefy hardware for the intensive stuff?

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    So what backup solution do you sysadmin folks use at home?
    I already use raid 1, a separate SSD for the OS, and lots of space allocated to shadow copy, but since I have 3 tb drives, backing up to dual layer blue ray is not practical.
    All real soutions I've seen are out of budget for nearly all home users.
    1.6 tb tape drives are $1000 with $30 tapes.
    Duplicating data to a network drive means setting up FreeNAS with 2 or 3 tb drives in raid 1/5/6, yet another $1000 solution.
    So what backup solution is practical at home?

iTNdmYl.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    I already use raid 1, a separate SSD for the OS, and lots of space allocated to shadow copy, but since I have 3 tb drives, backing up to dual layer blue ray is not practical.
    Duplicating data to a network drive means setting up FreeNAS with 2 or 3 tb drives in raid 1/5/6, yet another $1000 solution.

Pretty much nothing.

The best answer I have is a fileserver, my laptop and my desktop and making sure important things are stored between all 3. Versioning? What's that - although I'm working on versioning, and my server has ZFS snapshots turned on as a practical emergency solution but it's not great.

My hopes I'm currently pinning on bup as a practical backup solution which I might actually recover data from.

I have a media server with 2 TB of data running server 2012 that backs up the other computers. I also use crashplan to back up offsite. I opted to use their seeding service for the first TB and then it took me 6 months or so to back up the non essential stuff.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I use carbonite home plus, i think i have about 6-8 TB's on it. Took me a couple of weeks to upload everything initially but totally worth it. Technically its 99$ per computer, but with some creative symbolic linking it backs up all my computers and my NAS for the price of one.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Time Machine over wifi to an external drive for my Macbook, as well as online backup via CrashPlan.

CrashPlan for my user folder on the desktop Windows computer as well as a few other folders.

I don't use backups. I keep personal documents on dropbox/google drive. Everything I want to keep, I keep there.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I have a 3TB external drive that uses its own shitty software to do a continuous backup. Don't have the money for any sort of NAS or the speed to do offsite.

And whoever mentioned StorageCraft, thank you! I'm going to pressure for the budget to get that put on our servers. I like the idea of a full migration between server versions. It does support tapes though right?

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I honestly dont keep anything I would mind losing on my PC(IE not replaceable), so I don't really backup. If it were to change, I'd probably google drive it, and back it up on another pc. If I wanted to be serious, I would back it up to a fileserver in addition.

steam_sig.png
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    How hard is it to do a freaking valid check in an invoice field?

I'm sorry accounting software, but there really is no 01:71 time in the Eastern Time Zone.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    Huh well that was random.

I am suddenly reminded of the blood sample scene in the Thing.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Maybe Chetan can write the new thread:D

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Aioua wrote: »
    Maybe Chetan can write the new thread:D

Hi,

I am Chetan Savade from Symantec Technical Support team.

If SEP virus definitions are consuming disk space then this article can help you.

Symantec Endpoint Protection virus definition folder consumes a large amount of disk space

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102927

If total disk space is used less than 1 GB then it's a normal.

Regards,
    Chetan

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I'm with bowen where I keep important documents on Google Drive. I also have a free 10 GB space on A Drive where I backup pictures and such.
    I'm a cheap bastard who's generally unimportant, just like my files

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Pft, I just store my pictures on dropbox too.

I have 6GB of storage with spideroak for my work stuff, but that's because I need to be a paranoid mofo about that stuff.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Ugg!
    "I installed Good on my tablet and now I have to put in a passcode every time I turn it on. How do you turn that crap off?"
    "You can't, when you installed good we installed a policy that requires a passcode."
    "You guys are installing crap on my tablet? You took over my iPad? Get rid of it... now!"
    "I can, but you are going to lose access to you company email, contacts and calendar"
    "What! I'm going to email [IT Department head] and [CIO] letting them know how you treat us in the field...
    (Sure thing and you will discover that [IT Department head] was the one who implemented this on behalf of our friends in Compliance. By all means though, I'm sure they want to hear your input)

This is just as bad as.
    "Hello, I'm getting Good Error XXXX on my Droid"
    "Did you root it?"
    ".....Yea?"
    "That's the reason why, you need to reflash back to stock or it's not going to work"
    "But I need the tethering!"
    "You have to make a choice, Tethering or Email. Sorry."

At least no one ever tried to root a... (I'm gonna say it) Blackberry! (Spits the filthy word from my mouth)

halkun on
    They still release phones without tethering? My HTC Desire from 3 years ago had it on Android 2.2

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's sometimes locked out by the network. In the phone itself!

It's kind of a huge feature and makes no sense why they would prevent it from being used.

This discussion has been closed.