As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WINDOWS PHONE] Windows Phone 8. From Very Small to Sorta Small.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Drive often doesn't know when the car is moving, which never ceases to frustrate.

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    does google maps work on windows phone, cause as much as I use bing for everything else, google still has better maps IMHO.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    There's an unofficial app by some third-party dev: gMaps (paid, or free with ads). Otherwise, the mobile site does work as well.

steam_sig.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    You can get the original maps app from the store. The Bing maps is much better than the Nokia ones anyway.

Edit: You can still download offline maps. I do this and it is SO worth the data it takes up.

jungleroomx on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    So forget Drive and get Bing maps? I liked the voice stuff from my iPhone though.

Oh well.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So, my 3 year old WP7 may be dead.

A flash rainstorm (I live in the Southeast US) soaked it and me, though it didn't shut off or anything--I immediately turned it off, took out the battery, and stuck everything in a bowl of rice (moisture countermeasure). I turn on the phone, everything works fine--except there's moisture trapped behind the screen.

So pull the battery out again, I set it screen down on the top of my PC, so them warmth would dry it out over time. It does not get that hot, it'd be about as hot as leaving it outside during the day in summer. And while this dries up the humidity, suddenly another problem: now my phone wants to restore. Except when it finishes restoring, it wants to restore again. So my phone is chronically stuck in plug into PC mode--oh boy.

Is it time to say goodbye to my 3-year-old workhouse (that's a lifetime for a smartphone nowadays), or is there anything else I can do?

Synthesis on
    edited July 2013
    Ok so are my google skills failing or are there just not any full protection type cases with belt clips for Nokia 920s?

I want something with screen protection, drop protection, some way to hang on a belt, and optionally, water protection. I can't seem to find anything like that.

EDIT: Yes google skills were failing. Going with Otterbox defender.

Bigity on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular

RE: HTC 8x - the only thing I've heard bad about it is that the back rubbery coating will peel sometimes. I went with a Samsung ATIV S - works great, looks great. Wound up upgrading my wife from a feature phone to the same thing. Guy at the local Bell outlet wanted to sell her an Android phone but damned if I wanted to do support for it; we have enough odd issues with the ones we see as BYOD at work. Nevermind the abomination of a GUI.

Big plus for the ATIV is you can slap an SD card in there. Mine is a work phone, so I toss all my music on my own SDcard. If shit happens, I just pop out the card and hand it back in.

edited July 2013
    Nosf wrote: »
    RE: HTC 8x - the only thing I've heard bad about it is that the back rubbery coating will peel sometimes. I went with a Samsung ATIV S - works great, looks great. Wound up upgrading my wife from a feature phone to the same thing. Guy at the local Bell outlet wanted to sell her an Android phone but damned if I wanted to do support for it; we have enough odd issues with the ones we see as BYOD at work. Nevermind the abomination of a GUI.

Interesting. I ended up buying one for my mother as her new phone (she's grown to hate function phones, but doesn't want to cough up the money for T-Mobile's iPhone offering, $600 or more), and I've been using it until I replace my old WP7.

I have to say, as much as the added functionality of WP8 is appreciated, it's not that huge a step over WP7.8 (and it really has more to do with the improved hardware). The new Windows Phone software sucks compared to Zune though, no question--no wireless syncing, no marketplace, no music tagging, nadda. Being able to treat my WP as a passport drive is not worth losing those.

Going to go back to WP7.8 once I find a good handset, or maybe a nice Android if I can get a slide-out keyboard--the Venue Pro has ruined me for anything less than a top-range phone keyboard. I'll wait till Microsoft rolls out the next iteration of WP and hope they don't follow Android and Apple's tendency to abandon the PC as much as possible.

EDIT: Being able to use the HTC 8X as a wireless dongle with my Surface Pro is brilliant though. I was weighing the options of buying another line from T-Mobile just so I could get a USB device to plug into my Surface, but this works just as well. Awesome.

Synthesis on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So, I've never had a smartphone based on a lack of desire to spend money or to be on Facebook/twitter. But I like the idea of going to T-Moble so I'm not basically buying phones from Verizon with that Rent-a-Center feeling of being ripped off because they think I'm too dumb to add or multiply numbers.

I'm thinking of buying a Nokia 521 and going to T-M's no contract plan. That phone seems cheap and from what I've heard it at least isn't so bad that it will make me angry every time I have to use it.

Is there a fatal flaw with this plan? Are T-Mobile's coverage maps considered to be pretty accurate? In the past it seemed that Verizon was the only option for good rural coverage but according to T-M's map I should be OK.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Nokia's Amber update is going live everywhere from today so should trickle down to every carrier over the next few days/weeks. Exciting stuff :)

So, I've never had a smartphone based on a lack of desire to spend money or to be on Facebook/twitter. But I like the idea of going to T-Moble so I'm not basically buying phones from Verizon with that Rent-a-Center feeling of being ripped off because they think I'm too dumb to add or multiply numbers.

I'm thinking of buying a Nokia 521 and going to T-M's no contract plan. That phone seems cheap and from what I've heard it at least isn't so bad that it will make me angry every time I have to use it.

Is there a fatal flaw with this plan? Are T-Mobile's coverage maps considered to be pretty accurate? In the past it seemed that Verizon was the only option for good rural coverage but according to T-M's map I should be OK.

In my own experience, T-Mobile's coverage tends to be pretty high speed but can be very limited in area (at least in Georgia, so I guess it's a crapshoot). Double so for 4G LTE or whatever they use.

I'm going back to my Dell Venue Pro (found one on the cheap). My HTC 8X is great, but really, I lose too much functionality and convenience moving to WP8 (going to miss wifi tethering though) it seems. I seriously considered getting an HTC 7 Pro for another sweet keyboard phone, but finding a European GSM one was expensive. At least I know what to expect with my Venue Pro, and I can update it to 7.8 and get a decent amount of the WP8 basic functionality.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So GCI just got in the HTC 8X right when I was seriously looking at chucking my S3.

This phone. Goddamn. It's like I'm using a phone meant for grownups instead of something built for teenagers to play games on. My initial impressions have been definitely really goddamn good. Then again, I adored my old Zune before I switched over to a little cheapy Sansa Clip+ to use as a MP3 player at work. Microsoft has a real knack for small devices, it's just a shame they never get any real press nor a solid adoption rate.

In related news, since my incoming new laptop is Windows 8, my tablet is a Surface Pro, and my phone is a W8 phone, I figured fuck it, why not, and picked up a copy of W8 to put on my desktop. I might as well go full retard. :D

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    I still want a Surface Pro. Trying to talk work into getting one before I drop 800 bucks on it myself :P

Bigity wrote: »
    I still want a Surface Pro. Trying to talk work into getting one before I drop 800 bucks on it myself :P

If you know anybody who is a student. Can get some big discounts off one from Microsoft.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Huh, so I guess Microsoft finally actually bought Nokia('s handset business).

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2013/Sep13/09-02AnnouncementPR.aspx

• AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Elop had to be one of the worst hiring decisions ever. Of course he was hired by the same people who kept making strategic mistakes one after another since the iPhone launch, but still.

So, I'm almost out of my verizon contract. What is the best WP for t-mobile? I don't FB, or Tweet, but I do skydrive/live e-mail, onenote.

The big problem I have, I won't be able to outright buy my phone. So I guess I will be stuck with what T-mobile has. On that note, I don't know rumors, so if there is a phone that is better, I might wait just a couple months. I don't really want to wait past the end of this year though as I hate my phone (droid x2).

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    So, I'm almost out of my verizon contract. What is the best WP for t-mobile? I don't FB, or Tweet, but I do skydrive/live e-mail, onenote.

The big problem I have, I won't be able to outright buy my phone. So I guess I will be stuck with what T-mobile has. On that note, I don't know rumors, so if there is a phone that is better, I might wait just a couple months. I don't really want to wait past the end of this year though as I hate my phone (droid x2).

I don't know what the best phone might be but you can pick up a Nokia 521 for very cheap ($90 according to slickdeals). Maybe that could hold you over until you find something you really like.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)

HTC 8X is pretty good, but probably not the best. It's also not the most expensive (I'd say it's much better than the Nokia 521).

hum, looks like that only works with bring your own? T-mobile is only showing nokia 521 and 925.

hum, looks like that only works with bring your own? T-mobile is only showing nokia 521 and 925.

Yeah, T-Mobile's WP handset support has really dipped. It's not a big deal for me (I can't imagine buying a phone from my provider), but I can see the issue.

I tried to convince my fiance about buying phone and bringing, but she isn't quite to that point yet... If the 925 functions, i'm ok with it not being the greatest. Honestly, I just want a newer phone that fits into windows eco system better than droid.

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I'm moving on from my iphone 4S to the Nokia Lumia 925 in a few days. What apps do you guys use a lot on Windows Phones?

edited September 2013
    Metrotube. Turn-by-Turn Navigation. Office. Battle.net Authenticator. Smartglass.

Anyone own a Lumia 800? I've come to the conclusion that WP8 is not for me, and I'm going back to 7.8. I was thinking of getting another Venue Pro, but they're exceeding hard to come by on the cheap now. There's a good variety of 7.8 handsets, and the Lumia 800 at least looks very nice.

Synthesis on
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Metrotube. Turn-by-Turn Navigation. Office. Battle.net Authenticator. Smartglass.

Anyone own a Lumia 800? I've come to the conclusion that WP8 is not for me, and I'm going back to 7.8. I was thinking of getting another Venue Pro, but they're exceeding hard to come by on the cheap now. There's a good variety of 7.8 handsets, and the Lumia 800 at least looks very nice.

The 800 is a beautiful built phone that suffers from a poor battery life. The 900 was supposed to address this but then suffered from that lack of unibody design.

• Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I've still got an 800 - cyan - and, yeah, it's a beautiful piece of hardware. Moreso than the current crop of Lumias, I'd say (1020 excepted).

Can't comment fairly on the battery, though. I've got data disabled and don't use it for much outside of playing music in the car so, while I get 3+ days out of it, that's hardly unexpected.

Quake Matt on
    edited September 2013
    Eh, I found a good deal on a Venue Pro (at least compared to the rest of eBay)--I guess in the end of the day, I'll take a good phone with a keyboard over a good phone without one.

The HTC 8X is fine, but the two things I hate about it--disappointing virtual keyboard, worse PC integration for music--are across all WP8 (and in some sense, across all smartphones).

Synthesis on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    disappointing virtual keyboard

Yeah, that's every default smartphone keyboard ever. Once you've used Swiftkey it makes every other keyboard look like utter dogshit. It's the only thing I actually miss after dumping my S3 for the 8x.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited September 2013
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    disappointing virtual keyboard

Yeah, that's every default smartphone keyboard ever. Once you've used Swiftkey it makes every other keyboard look like utter dogshit. It's the only thing I actually miss after dumping my S3 for the 8x.

The tragedy is, compared to an awesome (or even good) physical keyboard, Swiftkey's shit too. There's really no going back. It's why I'm always tempted to go to Android, but then remember, "Oh, right, or I could get an awesome actual keyboard Android."

I know there's some people who have tiny hands or tiny pockets or whatever, but really, nothing beats a physical keyboard, clicking, tactile keyboard for productivity. Having more screen space only makes it even better.

Of course, phone keyboards now...

Synthesis on
    How do I subscribe to podcasts on my Lumia 925?

Rizzi wrote: »
    How do I subscribe to podcasts on my Lumia 925?

Find them on marketplace?

Never mind. Australia doesn't have the podcast marketplace.

And my new phone just stopped working in four days.
    I think that's the fastest that a new piece of hardware has died for me.

Bummer. Nokia's reputation is supposed to be very good. Usually.

• RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Hey, shit happens sometimes. Not every phone off the assembly line works correctly.

Now comes the real test, though: how easily you get it fixed/replaced.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Given that even companies like Dell were super fast about replacing their smartphones back when they made them, I imagine Nokia's got it down to a science.

I swapped out my 920 due to a dead camera flash, and it went speedy enough. However, that was through the carrier and not Nokia.

edited October 2013
    Developer Preview for GDR3 is now available, details here. To enroll in the preview, you just need to meet one of the following three criteria:

-Your phone is developer unlocked
    -You’re a registered Windows Phone Store developer
    -You’re a registered Windows Phone App Studio developer

My phone currently is not developer unlocked, but apparently my lapsed-last-year Windows Phone Store account was still enough to meet eligibility.

The update will be delivered with just GDR3, and none of the associated driver/firmware/carrier enhancements. There is no path back to GDR2, but the update will be forward-compatible with whatever OTA updates the carriers come up with for general release.

To get started with an eligible phone, download Preview for Developers on your phone.

Dehumanized on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Awesome, that means I'll never be dependant on AT&T and their shitty update rollouts again, at least for the core stuff.

e: *Still* no notification center, though? Man.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.