As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Anita Sarkeesian admits to "not being a fan of video games"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPIu3sDkEw

The video is from a lecture she did in 2010 before all the recent kick starter fuss.

Many had suspicions, but well, here it is, and its confirmed.

• JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    This is it folks, we've won.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Jeedan wrote: »

Sure feels like losing to me, clicking on this thread and all.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    A true victory for real gamers.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of television. Sure, there are amazing television shows such Breaking Bad, QI and America's Next Top Model that I enjoy watching, but there's far too many garbage shows and far too many obnoxious ads littering the shows for me to declare myself a fan of the entire broad concept of "television".

• NWKNWK Registered User regular
    This was three years ago and it still doesn't invalidate her points.

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
    Kagera wrote: »
    Jeedan wrote: »

Sure feels like losing to me, clicking on this thread and all.

No its proven. Everything bad anyone said about games is wrong and games are art now. Its over, we can go home.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    So this invalidates all her arguments? Or justifies the avalanche of effluvia poured over here since she dared to criticise video games?

Also hilarious is the robot voice.

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Please remember to set your sarcasm detectors to "Max".

Edit: (not "Sam")

Archangle on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I feel this whole ordeal (Not this one in particular) has made it so you can't have proper discourse on the subject due to the gaming press' imflammatory, click bait articles from both sides of the argument poisoning the well.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    I don't think the 'gaming press' are the ones who've made the debate difficult, particularly. That honour belongs to gamers themselves.

• TransmorphiaTransmorphia Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    NWK wrote: »
    This was three years ago and it still doesn't invalidate her points.

Her points have already been debated in many other youtube videos which have pointed out how she takes things out of context on purpose, uses blatantly selective evidence, displays only superficial knowledge of the games she is critiquing, as if she had only read Wikipedia/cliff notes on them, and of course the fact that she has stolen lets play footage from other youtubers for her own videos when frankly...she has had so many months and $160,000 budget to produce her own material.
    Beezel wrote: »
    I feel this whole ordeal (Not this one in particular) has made it so you can't have proper discourse on the subject due to the gaming press' imflammatory, click bait articles from both sides of the argument poisoning the well.

Except there are no two sides. Her side has cowed the gaming press into only support or silence. After all, her strategy was that if you aren't with her, you are with the terrorists;) When people like ryan perez get fired for questioning Felecia days legitimacy and other such incidents, there are no two sides. There's only the side where if you are critical, you just might get fired, and the other side, where you get paid $160,000;)

Transmorphia on
    You seem reasonable and not ridiculous at all.

edited September 2013
    In every discussion there are not "two sides" its a gradient of opinions. Ryan Perez was fired for calling Felecia Day a glorified booth babe not for questioning her legitimacy. If you cant figure out why he needed to be fired for such remarks I dont think you and a ton of other grown us will see eye to eye.

Phasen on
    Bogart wrote: »
    I don't think the 'gaming press' are the ones who've made the debate difficult, particularly. That honour belongs to gamers themselves.

Well when you have that one winner of a human being actually photoshopping Anita's face as having been beaten severely, I would tend to agree

Also what the fuck, questioning her legitimacy? What does that even mean?

Man poor male gamers being oppressed by the elite feminists controlling the industry andhahahaimsosorrybutWHHHHHAAAAAAATTTT?

you're a part of the system and don't even know it, brother. no it is I that pities YOU

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    So, if I understand this correctly, in order to be allowed to have an opinion on that most import of subjects, video games, you must be a "real gamer".
    BUT! to be a real gamer you must like games.
    And if you like games you wouldn't criticize them.
    So if you're criticizing games then you're not a real gamer.
    Therefore SHESALYINGWHOREANDTHISISASCAM!

Do I have the gist of this right?

sig.gif
    edited September 2013
    So this invalidates all her arguments? Or justifies the avalanche of effluvia poured over here since she dared to criticise video games?

Also hilarious is the robot voice.

Its really fucking funny that people are bringing to this the same gravitas that people do for NWO conspiracy theories.

Jeedan on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    HerrCron wrote: »
    So, if I understand this correctly, in order to be allowed to have an opinion on that most import of subjects, video games, you must be a "real gamer".

Can't critique the meat industry if you're a vegetarian, son.

• TransmorphiaTransmorphia Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Beezel wrote: »

Well when you have that one winner of a human being actually photoshopping Anita's face as having been beaten severely, I would tend to agree

Just a random person though.

Sarkeesian herself endorsed violent murder fantasy of Randy Pitchford.

If the situation had been flipped, you can imagine what she would be saying and doing...
    Phasen wrote: »
    In every discussion there are not "two sides" its a gradient of opinions. Ryan Perez was fired for calling Felecia Day a glorified booth babe not for questioning her legitimacy. If you cant figure out why he needed to be fired for such remarks I dont think you and a ton of other grown us will see eye to eye.

Felicia day doesn't mean much to most gamers, it is a legitimate question whether she gets disproportionate coverage vs say a john carmack because of what she is. I didn't really decide the two sides part, she did. She conveniently decided that all criticism or scrutiny had to be silenced, and the best and easiest way was to lump anyone against her into the "making threats" crowd.

Transmorphia on
    The brilliant part of this was the "Tropes vs Men" that was on indiegogo, where the people running the campaign ran with the money.

edited September 2013
    Who determines who gets the most coverage? Carmack has a huge platform, multiple confrences he speaks at and actual influence in the industry. Felicia Day is a celebrity and much like the real world the people behind the scenes, the big thinkers, arnt in the public eye as much because they are fucking busy doing actual things.

I dont think you quite understand how the world works if you are comparing Carmack to Day.

Phasen on
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular

Felicia day doesn't mean much to most gamers, it is a legitimate question whether she gets disproportionate coverage vs say a john carmack because of what she is.

While I think it's legitimate to ask whether being a voice actor and having a successful podcast about fictional gamers qualifies as "significant contribution to the gaming industry", it's another thing to call her a "glorified booth babe".

The situation was flipped, several thousand times. The number of death threats she received was what you'd expect for a woman talking on the internet, which is to say an awful lot. But still, male gamers are the real victims and all dissenting voices are silenced by the feminist mafia or something.

What disproportionate 'coverage' does Day get? She makes a bunch of shows that have proved really, really popular. What clout she has is down to what she's actually done and how people have responded to it. She doesn't get 'coverage' so much as 'make and present shows that people watch'. And that question isn't really what Ryan Perez was asking. He asked whether she was anything more than a glorified booth babe, to which the answer is yes of course she is you cretin how dumb are you oh wait we're paying you for this kind of insight hmmm we will have a think about that?

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The brilliant part of this was the "Tropes vs Men" that was on indiegogo, where the people running the campaign ran with the money.

He probably used that money to upgrade his PC and buy all the games in the Steam Summer sale.

LIKE A REAL GAMER WOULD!

reVerse wrote: »

He probably used that money to upgrade his PC and buy all the games in the Steam Summer sale.

LIKE A REAL GAMER WOULD!

Ain't even mad

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Video games are real legit forms of art, and therefore we shouldn't allow critics to analyze them

wait what

Can't critique Obama if you voted Republican, son.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Color me shocked that a feminist who takes major issue with the virtually ubiquitous sexist attitudes of gamers and the game industry isn't a big fan of video games. Shocked, shocked I tell you.

Something tells me the OP's next point isn't going to be that the 'alpha male gamers' who aren't big fans of what they see as 'militant feminism' have no legitimacy to their arguments...so not sure what the point is.

Felicia Day chain smoking in a leather executive chair, reading the article on the Internet. The Internet! This man must be dealt with. With barely controlled rage she presses the talk button on her intercom to the gimp in the next room.

"Get me the media, tell them I am unpleased."

The power behind her radiates palpably. This isn't even her final form.

I didn't really decide the two sides part, she did. She conveniently decided that all criticism or scrutiny had to be silenced, and the best and easiest way was to lump anyone against her into the "making threats" crowd.

She accepted his apology on twitter, I believe. And she didn't fire him or 'have him silenced'. And where did she claim Perez made threats? Cite plz.

Also, from a piece about it:
    In later tweets he admits he didn’t actually know pretty much anything about Felicia Day.

And from his apology:
    I really am sorry, and plan on actually viewing your portfolio before saying more about … well, you.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Weeeeeeeeeeellllllll

To play devil's advocate here for a moment.

I think the line of reasoning is less "She doesn't like video games, lets burn the witch!"

And more: "Lets not take advice on how video games should be from people who don't like playing video games."

But if there is one thing Sarkeesian is good at it's getting people to fight about her. So I suspect that any non-hysterical criticism of her to be lost because it doesn't service the true goal of "LETS FUCKING FIGHT ABOUT IT".

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I have no idea who this is.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »

Can't critique the meat industry if you're a vegetarian, son.

Vegetarian; can confirm

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular

The video is from a lecture she did in 2010 before all the recent kick starter fuss.

...How does this invalidate any of her points?

It doesn't, because OP conflates "sexism in the games industry" with "the games industry".

• NWKNWK Registered User regular
    Weeeeeeeeeeellllllll

To play devil's advocate here for a moment.

I think the line of reasoning is less "She doesn't like video games, lets burn the witch!"

And more: "Lets not take advice on how video games should be from people who don't like playing video games."

But if there is one thing Sarkeesian is good at it's getting people to fight about her. So I suspect that any non-hysterical criticism of her to be lost because it doesn't service the true goal of "LETS FUCKING FIGHT ABOUT IT".

I don't wanna fight about it. You wanna fight about not wanting to fight about it?

Let's go, tough guy.

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    oh noes

she may or may not like video games (dunno, forgive me for not sitting through those 4 minutes of youtube) because they probably have rancid shit in them

therefore she is unqualified to speak about said rancid shit

rock fucking solid

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

It goes to credibility.

I mean, I don't care one way or the other. Did she ever say that she did like games or was a gamer?

Because if she's talking out of both sides of her mouth then yeah that makes her look like a liar.

This discussion has been closed.