As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shooting at US Navy Headquarters

13»

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    my Dad made it home around 10pm last night. They evacuated the yard office by office, did a debriefing (did you know the shooter? No. You can go.) bussed them to Nationals Stadium and turned them loose.

Just glad he's ok =)

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I hope this isn't in bad taste, but doesn't this kind of poke holes in the NRA theory that the reason for mass shootings is that people don't have enough guns? I can't think of a place more likely to have a bunch of people with guns than a secure military facility. Then again the answer would probably be "think how many more people would have died if blah blah etc etc"

This would only be true in a world of logic, Tube

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    He also fired his gun into the ceiling of his apartment, with someone in the apartment above.

jesus fucking christ

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I hope this isn't in bad taste, but doesn't this kind of poke holes in the NRA theory that the reason for mass shootings is that people don't have enough guns? I can't think of a place more likely to have a bunch of people with guns than a secure military facility. Then again the answer would probably be "think how many more people would have died if blah blah etc etc"

The ONLY solution is more guns

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Everyone seems fine on our end, but that's still really upsetting that 12 people died.

In a weird timing @Godmode was job searching yesterday and found a job posting there that had just been put up an hour before. Awkward.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

The ONLY solution is more guns

Obviously the DC gun ban was the only reason that everyone with a desk job wasn't polishing their very own desk drawer assault rifle.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Is it wrong to get together with six of your friends and get into a helicopter and fly around shooting at junkyards with assault rifles? Is that truly insane behavior? Who among us is qualified to judge these alarmingly deranged men?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well, what they did isn't illegal.

It was monumentally stupid, but it wasn't illegal.

• Options
    Would you even want to live in a country where doing something like that is illegal

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Would you even want to live in a country where doing something like that is illegal

Yes please

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Kinda?

• Options
    I mean I do and it's alright so far

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i think yes

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm not going to lie, if I lived in the middle of nowhere and someone said hey, we're going to go up in a helicopter and shoot at a broken down car, wanna come? I would.

I mean not in the case that's described in that article, that seems monumentally stupid, but in a way more rural setting? Sure.

That's not to say that gun control policy in the US isn't a ridiculous mess because oh yeah, it is.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I'm not going to lie, if I lived in the middle of nowhere and someone said hey, we're going to go up in a helicopter and shoot at a broken down car, wanna come? I would.

I mean not in the case that's described in that article, that seems monumentally stupid, but in a way more rural setting? Sure.

That's not to say that gun control policy in the US isn't a ridiculous mess because oh yeah, it is.

no no no, gun control policy is fine (if not TOO tight!); the real problem is those evil brainwashing helicopter-shooting games like Battlefield or SimCopter.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

no no no, gun control policy is fine (if not TOO tight!); the real problem is those evil brainwashing helicopter-shooting games like Battlefield or SimCopter.

Honestly the problem would be solved if we all carried a gun at all times, they should just issue them when you graduate from high school.

But only if you graduate, no diploma no gun.

There, solved crime and education in one fell swoop. ELECT ME

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'll agree it's monumentally stupid but honestly it sounds kinda fun too, assuming they're all properly trained with the weapons, have a qualified pilot, and they were in an isolated area. From the sound of it they were too close to neighborhoods. Likely a city or state law could be pretty easily pushed through to force such activities to be held in less populated areas and possibly require approval or a special license.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Honestly the problem would be solved if we all carried a gun at all times, they should just issue them when you graduate from high school.

But only if you graduate, no diploma no gun.

There, solved crime and education in one fell swoop. ELECT ME

The sad truth is that you not only could run in Pennsylvania on that platform for real, but that you would have a damn good chance of winning.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    rhylith wrote: »
    I'll agree it's monumentally stupid but honestly it sounds kinda fun too, assuming they're all properly trained with the weapons, have a qualified pilot, and they were in an isolated area. From the sound of it they were too close to neighborhoods. Likely a city or state law could be pretty easily pushed through to force such activities to be held in less populated areas and possibly require approval or a special license.

Honestly feel pretty uneasy with Joe Schmoe getting in a helicopter with some AR-15s and playing out the scene from Apocalypse Now with Ride of the Valkyries blasting in his earbuds. There's responsible firearm use and then there's being a silly goose.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

I live in the US and its illegal for me to do that.

Frankly I'm not surprised that if you're rich enough to fly a helicopter around you're also rich enough to avoid prosecution for any dumb shit you do while riding in it.

Oh yeah I went there.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Do we have any actual information on just how 'close' they were to the neighborhoods? It said the guy had 80 acres. Also, I'm betting at some point they're taking a trip to Alaska to helicopter-hunt wolves. They made that legal, right?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Frankly I'm not surprised that if you're rich enough to fly a helicopter around you're also rich enough to avoid prosecution for any dumb shit you do while riding in it.

Oh yeah I went there.

you can get a helicopter kit nowadays for the cost of a sports car

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Oh yeah I went there.

you can get a helicopter kit nowadays for the cost of a sports car

And at this point a sports car is unattainable, too.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Do we have any actual information on just how 'close' they were to the neighborhoods? It said the guy had 80 acres. Also, I'm betting at some point they're taking a trip to Alaska to helicopter-hunt wolves. They made that legal, right?

Let me tell you about the size of Rhode Island. It is not very large.

At the same time, they were not charged with anything, they were not "that close" to neighborhoods. There's a fair amount of deer hunting that goes on in Charlestown and there are some good size tracts of forest. However, they were close enough to the complainant's property that he heard the noise and went to investigate. They were not on a gun range and that guy could easily have wandered into a dangerous situation if he didn't have his wits about him.

The FAA is investigating, they may pull his license for dangerous flying or they may look the other way.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    For work I sell tickets in downtown DC. All morning yesterday all the employees I ran across commented on how empty DC was looking. And a lot of customers were asking if there were any dangerous parts of the city they should avoid.

I wouldn't find out about the shooting until my lunch break.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

There are several gravel pits within very reasonable flying distance of 151 Biscuit City Road, but you'd have to struggle to get to any of them without flying over anyone's house. All the pits I can see are right next to residential areas, but it's not necessarily unsafe to fire guns in a gravel pit. Not sure I'm into the idea of four (or however many) people in a helicopter firing guns in a gravel pit, though.

Presumably one of the people named owned it, so if you care enough to look through the list, all their addresses are right there. Is this common? It seems like a lot of information for people who haven't been convicted of anything

thenews.jpg