As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Five Star Masterchef - Village wins, Sir Fabulous crowned Five Star Masterchef!

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Rawkking goodguy for being a fucking monster!

Man I regret using cursing and italics.

That seems like going too far.

Im sorry you guys.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    SUGGESTION: IN THE FUTURE, ONLY ITALICIZE FUCKING.
    IT WILL MAKE THE SENTENCE PARTIALLY OFFENSIVE AND ALSO HAVE SEXUAL UNDERTONES.
    HUMANS ENJOY SEXUAL UNDERTONES

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I just got flashbacks to InnuendoBot 5000.

This is a good thing.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    WELCOME TO THE MASTER CHEF COLANDER OF SLAUGHTER. GORDON HAS REPROGRAMMED ME FOR TOURNAMENT HOSTING AND SEXUAL INNUENDO. YOU COULD ALMOST SAY HE HAS INCREASED MY HARD DRIVE. FLIRTATIOUS EYEBROW RAISE

• FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I warned you all, my cooking skills have been honed in a culinary crucible the likes of which you could never imagine. Descended from the line of Chairman Kaga, I know neither pain nor fear. I'm secretly quite pleased I tied with Blarney.

MrT, I understand your fear of elimination due to your rather... lackluster performance. And Gandalf, I think we're tied in votes, and I'm voting for you since you've got this whole suspicious thing going. So I forgive, even if I don't condone, your attempt to remove me from this competition.

Don't know about that Delmain vote though.

!Clarification: Does winning in the mystery box round mean we will not be preparing boar and truffles in round 2?

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    Sounds like someone is scared of boar n truffles....just sayin

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If you still need a replacement I can step in. Didn't see the new signup thread until today.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that suspects that the people who drew Gordon, Joe and Graham, have a higher level of skill overall, and are less likely to fail.

You might be on to something there. Maybe we should as a village choose "ignore" each night so that our dishes are more in line with our strengths and weaknesses, and keep an eye on any people who consistently win over a broad range of categories.

That might be easier said than done though - difficult to get everyone on board.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    I dont see how getting a replacement helps. Whoever comes in will be just as mafia as buddha was.

Its not a great situation but its not really reversable either.

edited September 2013
    cute-kitten1033.jpg

Bedlam on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I dont see how getting a replacement helps. Whoever comes in will be just as mafia as buddha was.

That's an interesting theory you have.

Day 1 ends in (roughly) two hours.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Goddamnit, why did nobody tell me about this while signups were still open? I fucking loved playing this when it was run as a forum game.

Sigh

!reserve up, I guess

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    @shalmelo Based on the interest expressed from multiple parties, I'll be running a game of Five Star Chef after this Phalla is over.

• MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Goddamnit, why did nobody tell me about this while signups were still open? I fucking loved playing this when it was run as a forum game.

Sigh

!reserve up, I guess

Definitely taking Buddha's spot.

You know.

Because Buddha was mafia.

And you're always mafia.

That's the joke.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    @shalmelo Based on the interest expressed from multiple parties, I'll be running a game of Five Star Chef after this Phalla is over.

yisssssss. I'm in. So in.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

That's an interesting theory you have.

Day 1 ends in (roughly) two hours.

Inverse stever's law

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Henceforth to be known as the ketbra corallory

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    I liked Ketbra better before he sold out.

• FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular

Consider that the missing mafia role can, and probably already has been randomly distributed somewhere amongst the existing player base, thus fixing the issue.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Rawkking goodguy for being a fucking monster!

Now now, there's a perfectly scientific explanation for my unusual complexion, fellow grub-human food synthesizer!

For it is I!
    zim_disguise_handsbehindback_zpsabe1f53b.jpg

After AGONIZING YEARS OF HUMILIATING PENAL SERVITUDE ON THE DISTANT... Earthitania Food Slums I have AT LONG LAST BEEN GIVEN PERMISSION BY MY EARTHITANIAN OVERLORDS TO CONQUER THIS REALM....

...with flavor!

Of the competition so far, we congratulate our slovenly hosts on their choice of the delightful home staple of pharlaxian snailflesh. But for some of these other "ingredients"...the less said the better.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    vertroue wrote: »
    [mill[for lying to me last game

YOU LIE!

vertroue

Ugg I dont lie.

Blood and Fire
    (I am curious if you think he was lying because he didn't tell you he was mafia again after the rend deal agreement? You did read what the host said about that exchange, right?)

Pst ask me if I care?
    Wait save yourself the trouble and don't.

Blood and Fire
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I'll !vote for Delmain for his vote on FreeAgent for the time being.

Mechanics-wise, I would guess that Cheering would add 1 quality and Jeering would deduct 1 quality from the targeted player's dish, and luck being what it is, anything can happen. In addition, I don't know if the mafia would want to jump in with successes so early on. On the other side of the coin, I think it's perfectly possible for mafia members to end up in the bottom elimination group if things don't roll their way. If the mafia has any stat perks, I'd hope for them to be relatively small. My guess is that the mafia has influence over which person gets eliminated from each group that ends up at the back of the pack, and if one of their member ends up there, they'll remain safe due to judge bias.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    vertroue wrote: »
    Pst ask me if I care?
    Wait save yourself the trouble and don't.

BAM

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    (ketbra korallory)

i wonder if these are both ironic misspellings of corollary

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    Close vote count so far. Gandalf_the_Crazed has 4 votes, FreeAgent and The Anonymous each have 3 votes, and a whole bunch of people have 2 votes each.

Current Spreadsheet (up to post 268)

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    i'm under the impression that Gandalf hasn't been playing recently, but I've not been super active either. If he hasn't, I'd prefer we not day 1 him.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Gandalf got quite unfairly random-vigged as mafia on Day 2 last game. It was kind of a crucial play, actually.

Even if he's going to post in dialect we really ought to let him stay in this one a while.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I'll !vote for Delmain for his vote on FreeAgent for the time being.

Mechanics-wise, I would guess that Cheering would add 1 quality and Jeering would deduct 1 quality from the targeted player's dish, and luck being what it is, anything can happen. In addition, I don't know if the mafia would want to jump in with successes so early on. On the other side of the coin, I think it's perfectly possible for mafia members to end up in the bottom elimination group if things don't roll their way. If the mafia has any stat perks, I'd hope for them to be relatively small. My guess is that the mafia has influence over which person gets eliminated from each group that ends up at the back of the pack, and if one of their member ends up there, they'll remain safe due to judge bias.

I'm wondering if it makes more sense for the mafia to bring the village down instead of propping themselves up. Not a foolproof tactic mind you because villagers can just ignore it and the mafia don't have that kind of uncertainty with cheering themselves on. I guess it depends on how much of the village they think is throwing cheers and jeers around.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    MIKEY CTS

I have my reasons

tumblr_mkpxwsTA0W1s543tbo1_400.png

Invictus wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    (ketbra korallory)

i wonder if these are both ironic misspellings of corollary

spelling is for nerds

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    edited September 2013
    My guess is that the mafia has influence over which person gets eliminated from each group that ends up at the back of the pack, and if one of their member ends up there, they'll remain safe due to judge bias.

And this judge bias is yet another tool for our glorious desposition of their human tyranny!

To be clear,
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that suspects that the people who drew Gordon, Joe and Graham, have a higher level of skill overall, and are less likely to fail.

You might be on to something there. Maybe we should as a village choose "ignore" each night so that our dishes are more in line with our strengths and weaknesses, and keep an eye on any people who consistently win over a broad range of categories.

That might be easier said than done though - difficult to get everyone on board.

This is rather silly geesey! Though probably neither suspicious nor a sign of village behavior!

Comments of "how about we completely neutralize the main mechanics of the game because of reasons" seem to come up distressingly often in games with novel mechanics. In this case it's almost trivially easy to hide above average skill because of the ability to self-sabotage with flair. Unless these chefs have absurd stats (6+ in every ingredient) they can easily throw the competition by generally being able to ensure they ruin at least one part of the dish with too much flair.

If you suspect mafia or your others are going to be jeering you in a coordinated fashion, then Ignore is a good call. Otherwise, you give mafia the ability to say they used ignore often and for no reason as a way to hide malicious activities.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    Really, the thing the mafia wants to do - and this is not just in this game, but in any game - is to simply avoid attention. With the amount of luck there is in the die rolls, I'll need to think a bit more about what mechanics there are in place for the mafia (and I suppose in extension for the village specials) to manipulate outcomes more reliably than the vanilla Cheer and Jeer. I believe almost certainly that their abilities go beyond simply choosing who gets eliminated each day.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    With the amount of luck there is in the die rolls, I'll need to think a bit more about what mechanics there are in place for the mafia (and I suppose in extension for the village specials) to manipulate outcomes more reliably than the vanilla Cheer and Jeer.

ALMOST CERTAINLY

BUT BEAR IN MIND
    Are we going to be getting the results of our dice rolls, and quality results from cooking + cheering?

If so, can we trust those dice rolls were unaltered by other players' abilities?
    Yup. I'll send all of Day 1's out tonight.

WE CAN TRUST OUR DICE ROLLS ARE ACCURATELY REPORTED, WHICH LIMITS THE SCOPE OF OUTCOME MANIPULATION TO AT LEAST AN EXTENT THAT OUR DELICIOUS VANILLA SHOULD NOT BE IGNORED.

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Ah say, ah'd prefer not to be Day 1'd.

The_Anonymous for self-presuhvation. No hahd feelin's, suh.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg