As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] ...maybe they should have hired a professional

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    Ugg!
    "I installed Good on my tablet and now I have to put in a passcode every time I turn it on. How do you turn that crap off?"
    "You can't, when you installed good we installed a policy that requires a passcode."
    "You guys are installing crap on my tablet? You took over my iPad? Get rid of it... now!"
    "I can, but you are going to lose access to you company email, contacts and calendar"
    "What! I'm going to email [IT Department head] and [CIO] letting them know how you treat us in the field...
    (Sure thing and you will discover that [IT Department head] was the one who implemented this on behalf of our friends in Compliance. By all means though, I'm sure they want to hear your input)

This is just as bad as.
    "Hello, I'm getting Good Error XXXX on my Droid"
    "Did you root it?"
    ".....Yea?"
    "That's the reason why, you need to reflash back to stock or it's not going to work"
    "But I need the tethering!"
    "You have to make a choice, Tethering or Email. Sorry."

At least no one ever tried to root a... (I'm gonna say it) Blackberry! (Spits the filthy word from my mouth)

Yeah, I had a doctor call and complain that our chart app wasn't working anymore. So I go into the airwatch console and see his device is non-compliant, and he's like "well I did jailbreak it yesterday."
    Well there you go buddy.

steam_sig.png
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Tomato wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, in the real world, how intensive is Exchange 2010/13? I've just finished my home lab and it's hosted on a VM with 4 cores and 4GB of RAM and performance has been dreadful. As soon as I have one user connected, the CPU usage spikes to 100% and stays there. It's even worse when I'm actually using the OWA. I guess that a dedicated email might lessen the load as Exchange doesn't have the handle the browser part?

I can't even imagine an enterprise with several thousands users who are all actively using email. Do you split roles and use beefy hardware for the intensive stuff?

Could be the way your VM is implemented. I would think if it is using binary translation then that would be a significant performance hit over hardware assisted virtualization for something like Exchange. ALternately maybe something is just off with your configuration.

The EXCH2K10 server I manage seldom has much CPU load outside of initial boot (probably during backup too). However maybe half an hour or an hour after boot, my CPU utilization is bouncing between 0% and 15% between all cores and RAM utilization is over 90%, and that seems to be its steady state operation.

In a large organization you would definitely at least split the Client Access and Mailbox roles. Heck even small orgs should do that so their mailboxes aren't residing on the same server that is exposed to the Internet.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    It's kind of a huge feature and makes no sense why they would prevent it from being used.

I know! It's so stupid!

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    It's kind of a huge feature and makes no sense why they would prevent it from being used.

I know! It's so stupid!

well how else are they going to wring an extra $15 out of you?

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Has anyone with SharePoint noticed in the last 1 to 2 months that there are some issues with syncing between calendars in Outlook and SharePoint? I'm convinced it was an update from August that did this, as a machine that was last updated in July doesn't have this problem.

What happens is that a user connects the SharePoint calendar to their Outlook. Everything syncs fine. The user can add/modify/delete events to the calendar directly through SharePoint. If the user tries to add an event via Outlook, the event is posted and immediately disappears with a generic send/receive error saying that it couldn't sync. If the user tries to edit an existing event via Outlook, the event change is displayed, but then immediately flashes back to the original, with another generic send/receive error saying that it could not sync. If the user deletes an existing entry, the entry shows as deleted from the calendar in Outlook, but it is still displayed in SharePoint; the calendar in Outlook will no longer display the "deleted" entry, even though it still exists.

- Rights have been verified, and even happens to Domain Admins.
    - Office 2007 is affected
    - Office 2010 is not affected
    - Only seems to happen to users who newly connect to the calendar
    - Does not affect calendars that were connected via Outlook prior to issue

I'm currently going through each update one at a time to find the culprit, but curious to see if anyone else is having this problem.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ok, this is novel. I have a client who receives faxes that are saved as PDFs in a network share. One user will open that folder and not see an incoming fax for quite awhile. This is despite a new PC and a new network cable.

What the hell about her profile could be causing that?

TL DR wrote: »
    Ok, this is novel. I have a client who receives faxes that are saved as PDFs in a network share. One user will open that folder and not see an incoming fax for quite awhile. This is despite a new PC and a new network cable.

I'm assuming that other users can see the file during the time that she cannot?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Caught a user jimmying open the lock to the IT closets.

That was something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

That was something.

Like storage, or a networking closet? I guess I could see someone trying to get into storage.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

That was something.

Like storage, or a networking closet? I guess I could see someone trying to get into storage.

Yeah storage. Nothing much in there but wires, and old hardware.

Oh I guess there's laptops and shit in the second one but I wasn't really going to wait for them to go any further.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Holy crap I would murderize em.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

I know! It's so stupid!

well how else are they going to wring an extra $15 out of you?

Some people ask us "Why, why treat the customers this way? Because FUCK 'EM! That's why."

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Why does Deploy Printer by GPO never, ever work?

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    What server version? I've noticed that almost all of my Windows 7 systems don't like to keep their drive mappings set through GPO when restarted while using Server 2003.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »

Yep.

What server version? I've noticed that almost all of my Windows 7 systems don't like to keep their drive mappings set through GPO when restarted while using Server 2003.
    2008R2, windows 7.

Flip tables.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Man what, it works fine for me. How's your policy built?

Yep.
    You said you gave her a new PC. Did you transfer her settings over? If so, it'd be a local profile setting (like possibly an extra protocol that is enabled?). If not, it's either a global setting or something server-side. Either way, that's pretty damn odd.

• Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

Works fine for me too, make sure you're building your GPO from scratch with the GPO management tool, and NOT generating it through the print management.

Also use GPO preferences to set drive mappings, and finally let go of those drive login scripts.

Yep.
    You said you gave her a new PC. Did you transfer her settings over? If so, it'd be a local profile setting (like possibly an extra protocol that is enabled?). If not, it's either a global setting or something server-side. Either way, that's pretty damn odd.

Check if she's using offline files. There's a feature in offline files called slow-link detection. If windows has a cache for any shared drive on a server and detects lag of more than 5ms, it will revert to cache automatically (thinking you are on VPN) and only check again for slow-link 5 minutes later.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    So we've been having Sprint issues and found out that they are upgrading all three of our towers at the same time. Not one at a time but all at once. Nice job, Sprint.

Also, a data card and a phone in a truck was having problems at a certain customer location. We call Sprint about the location and they check and see that it's in a not so great coverage area.

Their solution: "How about you move the business to another location?"

I'm sure they'll do that, Sprint.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    edited September 2013
    Mei Hikari wrote: »

Works fine for me too, make sure you're building your GPO from scratch with the GPO management tool, and NOT generating it through the print management.

Also use GPO preferences to set drive mappings, and finally let go of those drive login scripts.

And as a rule I generally use my GPOs to "update" printers and drives. If it doesn't exist "update" will create it, and if it already exists, "update" will just push down new settings if the mapping changes. And I find it works best if you create printers on the User Config side of GPO.

Cog on

Regarding the first part. That could be it. Thanks technet.

Regarding the second part, that I do, and that I like.

• FredZ89FredZ89 Huehuehueh Registered User regular
    Well, I made a mistake last week in a Exchange Powershell script that caused 300 users to be hidden from the address list.

Turns out if you do something like

Get-Mailbox "user" | Set-Mailbox "stuff you wanna do"

If the "user" doesn't exist or you make a mistake in your input (lets say, add a number at the end of the samaccountname when there isn't), the Get-Mailbox will gather every mailbox available (I had to stop the script from running, which is why 300 users have been impacted). This is pretty stupid, if you do something like

Get-ADUser "user"

and the user doesn't exist, you just get an error message saying the samaccountname you are looking for doesn't exist. Instead, Exchange does something similar to

Get-Mailbox *

I hope I can help someone working with powershell to prevent this thing before it actually happens to them. I'm now making a verification of the samaccountname to be sure it does exist in the ActiveDirectory before going on with the script.

Currently Playing: MH4U
    My Steam profile
    3DS: 1435-3951-4785
    Huh. What happens if you use Get-Mailbox -Identity "badusername" ? Hopefully that errors out?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    edited September 2013
    Huh. What happens if you use Get-Mailbox -Identity "badusername" ? Hopefully that errors out?

Just tried, same thing. (of course, I tried it WITHOUT the Set-Mailbox, hehe)

FredZ89 on
    My Steam profile
    use the whatif flag, scripter padawan.

Is there a -whatif for Get-Mailbox? I was pretty sure there wasn't for Get / Set Mailbox cmdlets.

My Steam profile
    Man Powershell makes me feel so ignorant.

FredZ89 wrote: »

Just tried, same thing. (of course, I tried it WITHOUT the Set-Mailbox, hehe)

Ugh, that's dumb. They should fix that.

FredZ89 wrote: »
    Is there a -whatif for Get-Mailbox? I was pretty sure there wasn't for Get / Set Mailbox cmdlets.

Not for get cmdlets, that would be kind of useless since those never modify anything. But set cmdlets definitely have the whatif flag.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    They still release phones without tethering? My HTC Desire from 3 years ago had it on Android 2.2

Just to answer this.
    I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on my phone. If I use the tethering app that comes with my phone, it actually checks my Verizon service to see if I have a "tethering plan". I don't, so tethering is locked out at the device driver level.

I'm rooted, so the program I use for tethering actually swaps out the device driver for one that isn't crippled by Verizon.

If I was to go to a plan with tethering, I lose my unlimited plan and get a data cap put on.

That's why it's "email or teather". I chose teather.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    "Remember how you said you did networking 101 in university in your interview?

Here's a client network. It has 30 servers, 4 firewalls, 8 switches and 10 VLANs, and no documentation.

Fix all of its problems."

Talk about trial by fire. Thank god the guy who used to work on this and has since been promoted is willing to teach me stuff, otherwise I'd be truly fucked.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    I just signed up for the Microsoft Azure trial. Anyone tried it yet?

My Steam profile
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I've moved about half of my development machines up to Azure. It's pretty nice, only complaint I'd have is that printer mapping has been a total pain in the ass compared to local VMs. I don't care about that personally, but I work with accountants and it turns out they care a LOT about paper.

Also, I ran a website on Azure hosting for a while, but with the change to the MSDN subscription benefit (which gives a super luxurious amount of leeway with regards to compute time for development VMs) I could no longer run "production" stuff on the free subscription, so I just took it down because it wasn't that important. Very easy to deploy and manage, though.

I'm guessing since everything is in the microsoft cloud, you don't need a "good" computer to run these with somewhat good performances? (I have a crappy macbook, which is why Microsoft Azure interested me in the first place :) )

My Steam profile
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, the VMs are just basically borrowing Microsoft's infrastructure to run as a HyperV host. If you want better performance, just gotta pay extra per hour to rent some more cores/RAM. Nothing happens locally on your own computer.

Dehumanized on
    jaziek wrote: »
    "Remember how you said you did networking 101 in university in your interview?

Here's a client network. It has 30 servers, 4 firewalls, 8 switches and 10 VLANs, and no documentation.

Fix all of its problems."

Talk about trial by fire. Thank god the guy who used to work on this and has since been promoted is willing to teach me stuff, otherwise I'd be truly fucked.

Seriously though, these are the best jobs, cause you learn so much.

The worst jobs are the ones where they protect the system from you and protect you from the system by requiring change requests and time tracking and the jobs are over-specialized to the point that you're pigeonholed into some fuckawful repetitive task.

I once worked a contract where I was promised that i would be a "server admin", and that apparently entailed 9 goddamn months of doing not a single thing but converting printers from IPX to TCP/IP. At which point I found a new job because I was losing my goddamn mind.

What I'm saying is "fix ALL the problems" is often a pretty fucking great job description.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    We are finally putting in a ticketing system. I'm going to demand a filled out description box or else I ignore their requests, no more subject line emails for me!

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    We are finally putting in a ticketing system. I'm going to demand a filled out description box or else I ignore their requests, no more subject line emails for me!

Ticket# 100021
    Category: Other, Other, Undefined
    Subject: PC broken. URGENT
    Description: See subject.

This discussion has been closed.