As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Haswell? More like Has...damnit, I had something for this...

• PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    Hmm. Is there any free space on your hard drive, and have you messed with your virtual memory settings?

Tons of free space, I'm only using half of the 1TB. I haven't messed with the virtual memory settings and I've run the Samsung diagnostic tool and it says the drive is fine. I'll leave the resource monitor open and see if I can reproduce it and see.

I'm guessing though that this isn't normal given your responses. I just assumed because everything else on the rig was fast that the HDD was the limiting point and so when it locked up, that was it trying to catch up.

Quashdom.png
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    EDIT: Answered my own question. Guess I'll bite the bullet and spend the money for a DDR2 upgrade. I'm between the Mushkin Enhanced Silverline and the G. SKILL, but I'm trying to figure out why there is such a price difference.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    $200 for 8 GB of DDR2??

Look on e-bay first, DDR2 is not worth that much.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    EDIT: Answered my own question. Guess I'll bite the bullet and spend the money for a DDR2 upgrade. I'm between the Mushkin Enhanced Silverline and the G. SKILL, but I'm trying to figure out why there is such a price difference.

Wait, what? You're probably a lot better off suffering on for a while and saving up until you can afford a new mobo, proc and DDR3 RAM.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Wait, what? You're probably a lot better off suffering on for a while and saving up until you can afford a new mobo, proc and DDR3 RAM.

For $200 you likely could find one that uses DDR3 and fits your processor already. $200 for memory is insane.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, I have an old Phenom II Dual Core processor, so probably not.

Yeah, sounds like I'm gonna have to do that. I think it's about time, anyway.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    Unfortunately, I have an old Phenom II Dual Core processor, so probably not.

Yeah, sounds like I'm gonna have to do that. I think it's about time, anyway.

AM3?

$50 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138376
    $70 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231422
    ====
    $120

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    AM3 is a dead socket, but if he must...

Way better than dropping a 200 dolla bill on DDR2.

Like, this combo of parts will murder any possible socket 775 combo he may have right now, and later on there is always the option to drop a meaner Skylake quad-core processor into this mobo for way more power if needed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116945
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157450
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148544

$272.

Or add in this quad-core now and be good for years:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116898

for an extra $70.

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Alternately, go AM3+ with any amount of DDR3 desired. Keep the RAM reasonable and it'll all still come in at 3/4 the cost of a bunch of DDR2. Sure, the upgrade path is to a series of procs that aren't lighting the world afire, but Piledriver is still fairly solid.

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thanks to @tsmvengy and @Ianator! It did plug into the fan controller at the front of my case.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • secretexhibitionsecretexhibition Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Can somebody help me understand why I wouldn't jump at this deal?

Asus nVidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB DCII OC (GTX660-DC2O-2GD5) ($129 down from $267)

Edit: Nevermind, it was a mistake. Damn. Too good to be true, I guess.

secretexhibition on
    It is? I added one to the shopping cart and it reported as $129.

Which is a really good price for that card.

Yeah, there was couple hour period where 90% of their deals weren't working anymore. I'd gone to buy it and then it said it was invalid. Just checked again and bought it. Very happy with it. =D

What are you upgrading from?

Well it was a new computer which I haven't fully built yet, but I was planning on going with my old 5770 in the meantime until I got a new monitor. 660 is 5 tiers above the 5770 based on the tomshardware chart, so, seems like a pretty worthwhile expense for the price.

Oh yeah, a 660 is a big jump from a 5770. You should be very pleased with the increase in performance.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I am having a difficult time deciding if a new monitor is worth it. I have a 24'' Samsung and not sure how much better there is to see. Is it worth going up to a 27'' or getting something really nice with 3d capabilities or a better refresh rate. I know it's all subjective but I feel with my gtx670 there isn't much left to do until I eventually build a new PC.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I am having a difficult time deciding if a new monitor is worth it. I have a 24'' Samsung and not sure how much better there is to see. Is it worth going up to a 27'' or getting something really nice with 3d capabilities or a better refresh rate. I know it's all subjective but I feel with my gtx670 there isn't much left to do until I eventually build a new PC.

If you're really itching for a new monitor then 27" IPS is the way to go. Otherwise, how are your keyboard/mouse? Or headphones?

If there's nothing you're unhappy with, why change? Save the money for something better later on.

steam_sig.png
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I have a great new set of headphones and a great filco keyboard. I think that my monitor isn't operating as fast as my video card, even with vsync. I just want to see the best picture possible, but also not spend like more than $400

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Hello, computer build thread!

My current machine is 4 years old and starting to feel a little long in the tooth. I'm looking to put together a new machine for gaming, $1k budget. First draft as follows:
    Seagate 3TB SATA 7200 RPM HDD: $120
    Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Mobo: $70
    i5-3570 Ivy Bridge CPU (3.4 GHz): $210
    Zalman Heatsink: $43
    SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB SSD: $183
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870: $175
    Bitfenix Prodigy-M Case: $100

I think I can use the 8GB of RAM out of my current case - need to check and see if it's 1066 or 800. I'm not bothering with an optical drive because why would I.

That leaves me with ~150 for a PSU and additional cooling. The Bitfenix is a really small case, and the reviews of the original Micro-ITX case the Prodigy-M is based off of all say that fitting a standard ATX power supply in the thing can be tricky, so I'm looking for help finding smallish, cheapish, quiet power supplies. I also have no idea how much power is typically expected of a rig these days - I'd guess ~600W, but cpu power consumption has dropped drastically since I last built someing. Ideas?

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular

My current machine is 4 years old and starting to feel a little long in the tooth. I'm looking to put together a new machine for gaming, $1k budget. First draft as follows:

I think I can use the 8GB of RAM out of my current case - need to check and see if it's 1066 or 800. I'm not bothering with an optical drive because why would I.

That leaves me with ~150 for a PSU and additional cooling. The Bitfenix is a really small case, and the reviews of the original Micro-ITX case the Prodigy-M is based off of all say that fitting a standard ATX power supply in the thing can be tricky, so I'm looking for help finding smallish, cheapish, quiet power supplies. I also have no idea how much power is typically expected of a rig these days - I'd guess ~600W, but cpu power consumption has dropped drastically since I last built someing. Ideas?

Do you really need 3TB of storage?

Also, there's no reason to grab an aftermarket heatsink fan if you're not getting an overclockable processor.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    Griswold wrote: »

Also, there's no reason to grab an aftermarket heatsink fan if you're not getting an overclockable processor.

1): Probably not. Saves me $40 to drop down to 2TB, good catch.
    2): I'm going to grab an aftermarket HSF mostly because I've had bad luck with OEM HSFs slowly dying and needing to be replaced anyway.

Griswold wrote: »

1): Probably not. Saves me $40 to drop down to 2TB, good catch.
    2): I'm going to grab an aftermarket HSF mostly because I've had bad luck with OEM HSFs slowly dying and needing to be replaced anyway.

1. I would suggest dropping the hard drive down (or reusing a current hard drive!) and putting the extra cash into your video card. Go up to a GTX 760.
    2. For a CPU heatsink I would suggest the always-popular Evo 212 or the Silverstone AR01. Cheaper and better than anything Zalman, and if the fan dies you can replace it unlike many of the Zalman heatsinks.
    3. PSU: Seasonic 600W Modular. All the power you will need and then some.

steam_sig.png
    Anyone have any experience with SSHDs? Trying to determine whether or not I'd be better off saving $75 and just getting this instead of an SSD and a HDD.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Hybrid SSDs are definitely an improvement over normal HDDs, but theyre not as good as pure SSDs. Switching to a pure SSD is basically the largest upgrade you can make on your computer, and even if you cut costs and go with a smaller drive (personally I wouldnt go below the 120GB range) and have a secondary hard drive for actual file storage your day to day experience with the computer will be much snappier.

Yeah I was looking at dropping to a 120GB SSD + 2TB HDD. Looked at dropping to 1TB but it's like $10 for the 2TB so screw it, I won't have to worry about storage for, like, ever.

With the smaller SSD you'll need to be a little more involved when it comes to installing games, but luckily Steam now lets you choose where the game is installed and with stuff like Steam Mover its easy enough to move Origin games around as well.

Anyone have any experience with SSHDs? Trying to determine whether or not I'd be better off saving $75 and just getting this instead of an SSD and a HDD.

Not better off. SSD will be WAY faster than this option.

On SSD size: how many games are you usually into at once? I have a 120 and it's not an issue; I play three or four things at once and use steam mover to move them to my spindle drive when I'm done.

Can you reuse the hard drive from your current machine?

steam_sig.png
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Okay, I promise that this is my last (but undoubtedly most complete) diatribe against the Bitfenix Prodigy:

The Prodigy seems like a solid idea. Lian Li has essentially been making similar cases (ITX cases with room for solid cooling, multiple 3.5'' drives, and full-size components) for years now. Their layout differs from the Prodigy, but you can certainly see why they thought that taking that kind of case and making the price reasonable would be a good thing. And to the Prodigy's credit, it's reasonably priced, not terribly restrictive (component-wise) and it looks like a fat, small older model Mac Pro (which I like, but YMMV). But:

1) It's fucking huge. Yes, it is smaller than a mid-tower, and yes it can't be super tiny because of the ATX PSU requirements, but the Prodigy is actually roughly the same size (if not slightly smaller) than the Silverstone SG10, which provides for a Micro-ATX motherboard. Most relatively standard Micro-ATX mini-towers are taller, but significantly less wide, which is nice if you have a 'puter cubbyhole or shelf designed to hold a (roughly) standard case. Even compared to the "big" Lian Li ITX cases, the Prodigy is huge. The Node 304 (a great NAS case) holds just as many 3.5'' drives and is almost half as tall.

2) It makes no sense. I realize that the Prodigy isn't "for" people who want a small ITX build, but wanting a "big" ITX build is somewhat nutty in and of itself. Why buy a Prodigy when you can stuff just as much crap into a Silverstone TJ08-E? You really need that 240 Rad? The Arc Mini is a few inches taller, but also a few inches narrower. The Prodigy is so big that there's just no point in buying one when you could just as easily get a similarly sized, similarly priced Micro-ATX case and then probably save money on your motherboard, while having access to more component choice and more room in general.

3) It's not built all that well. Don't get me wrong, I think that Bitfenix overall pretty much lives up to the company many of their founders left, Cooler Master, when it comes to case build quality. The steel is thick enough, no sharp edges, and while most of their cases aren't my cup of tea in the design department, they're unlikely to fall apart randomly. The Prodigy fails on the details, though. The case fronts (with the exception of the original black model) are all solid, rather than meshed, which seriously hampers airflow from the front fan(s). There are a ton of colors for the Prodigy, and you can change them yourself, but you'd only really want the black one. The HDD trays (at least in my experience) are a pain in the ass. The "front panel" bits being mounted on the opposite side of the case from the giant GPU vent is rather unfortunate if you need/want to rest the right side of the case against a wall or cabinet. And finally: the handles. Unlike the rest of the case, the handles and bottom supports are both made from the same hard plastic, which will flex and cause the case to wobble, even while empty. When packed to the gills, it continues to do so. It's not a massive potential hazard, but it's indicative of issues with the details of the case's design, and makes me worry about the handles giving way, or an accidental nudge resulting in the case tipping over.

And that is why you shouldn't buy a Bitfenix Prodigy (ITX version). If you're bent on an ITX build, there are better options if you need room for drives, and if you're bent on a super-powered small form factor build, just go Micro-ATX.

Which brings me to:

Don't buy a Prodigy M. It's not as stupid a Micro-ATX case as it is an ITX case, but there's nothing it does that the Silverstone SG10 doesn't do better. I'd still probably go TJ08-E, though. It's good looking, has more room for drives and the like, and it's not that much taller than the Prodigy M. As for the rest, I'd go Cooler Master 212 Evo, as recommended above. You can also save a bit of cash on the CPU by dropping a little on the stock clocks (I doubt you'd notice). I think this Seasonic PSU is a really great value, and would easily power basically any single card setup you decide on. I won't weigh in too much on storage except to say that I think an SSD is a great quality of life investment for computing.

Edit: Also, if your RAM is running at 800 or 1066 Mhz, it's very likely DDR2, which means you'll need new RAM as well.

Alecthar on
    The only reason I'm looking at the Prodigy M is aesthetics and form factor, really. It's rather difficult to find a case that is neither a complete monolith nor LED-blaring and gaudy, and after carting my current full-tower around, something smaller would be greatly appreciated.

• iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Fucking AMD adding SR4 to the never settle forever bundle and not telling me, that makes it so much harder to not get a 7950 right now.

Gotta hold out and see where the BF4 voucher gets tied into.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    riz wrote: »
    Yo. Is there a router thread I can't find? If not, I come here seeking wireless router advice. Friends recommended these $200 jobs that seem to be made for spanning entire homes. I'm in a one-bedroom apartment and my devices will either be hard-wired, a few feet away on the couch or at most one room away. There are a lot of other wireless signals crowding the airwaves here though. I'm running low on funds so I don't want to spend a ton on something fancy I don't need. Thoughts?

I'm a huge fan of the Asus routers. The company does a phenomenal job of updating the firmware on older models, and they support 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT) right out of the box. They're also rock solid!

That being said, they can be pricey. If you don't want to do some work on Ebay, check out the N10, N12 and N53 Here

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    So here is my current build. I built it back in May 2011.
    comp_build_zps3f5454af.png

The computer still runs everything great, but I think it might be time for an upgrade soon. Can I squeeze a couple more years out of this build by just upping my RAM to max and throwing in a bigger video card?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    8gb of ram is enough, no real need to throw more in right now.

But a better video card will get you some more performance.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    MagicPrime wrote: »

The computer still runs everything great, but I think it might be time for an upgrade soon. Can I squeeze a couple more years out of this build by just upping my RAM to max and throwing in a bigger video card?

Adding a SSD will net you a pretty big upgrade, and if you wanted to grabbing a new video card would too (but waiting until the 800 series launch isnt going to hurt). Everything else looks fine honestly.

MagicPrime wrote: »

Your processor is still great, and you've got plenty of RAM, so you're set there.
    SSD! SSD! Get an SSD! That is absolutely the #1 upgrade I would suggest for you. 256GB if you can swing it.

If you want to upgrade your video card go for the GTX 760, otherwise as someone else said you could wait for the 800 series launch if you are happy now.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2013
    Not sure I'm entirely convinced by this entirely unsourced news blurb, but supposedly Intel won't be bringing Broadwell to the desktop, and there will be a longer period of time between their introduction of new desktop CPU lines. Admittedly, I wouldn't be surprised if the latter were true, given that the gains we've been seeing after Sandy Bridge aren't massive. They certainly don't produce numbers that scream "You must upgrade your CPU to this new standard!" Longer intervals will mean bigger performance deltas to encourage upgrades, and it might help a few of us (myself included) from spending money unnecessarily on new stuff that isn't a big improvement over old stuff.

Alecthar on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I'm fine with this. Can't see myself finding any substantive reason to think of upgrading from my Ivy Bridge system until the socket after 1150 anyway.

This discussion has been closed.