As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    My favorite experience in this game was when it first came out. I leveled a Marauder to 9. At 9 I went to the first tier 2 content to get as much of the level 11 gear as I could with a friend (zealot). Once we got our gear we went back to tier 1 for some PvP and we wrecked all the things. The two of us vs at least 10-12 others on the docks and they couldn't do anything to stop us. It was the most exciting thing I experienced in an MMO. It happened purely by accident.

I didn't full grasp the strength tier 2 gear (even partially equiped had). When I saw the group heading my way I ran but my friend stayed on the dock. I decided if he was going to die then I would to. Now he was on the edge of the dock and I was on land (after swimming around). I jumped on the heads of my enemies to get next to my friend while swinging my body around (AoE melee FTW). After 30 seconds the only two left standing where myself and my zealot friend. It was fantastic. I will probably never experience something like that again.

I was quite sad with the direction WAR went. It had a lot of potential.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Is anyone still playing this/is this worth playing at this point?

I'm starved for Warhammer fantasy games lately.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    So there I was, walking through Best Buy after being told that they didn't have any Chromecasts when all of a sudden a wild;
    2013-09-05131040.jpg

appears.

So maybe people still play? I wish I could get back into my old account. :(

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Actually an unsold disk is an indication that someone is not playing, for they have not made that purchase. :rotate:

liEt3nH.png
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Lookit those frayed edges. That poor box has probably been shuffled about for years.

ECOED.jpg
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Wonder if there's some of part in their license with GW where they have to have the servers running for a minimum number of years.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I still have fond memories of this game. A lot of fun with folks doing the smaller PvP instances and fighting for control of areas, and lots of fun just exploring the world by myself.

T2 scenarios were still some of my favorite pvp in a traditional mmo to date.

ECOED.jpg
    Avynte wrote: »

Oh, god yes. I loved being a WH on High Pass early on, when people were really still learning it and you could stealth up behind the tomb and steal it out from under them.

persona4celestia.jpg
    PMAvers wrote: »

Oh, god yes. I loved being a WH on High Pass early on, when people were really still learning it and you could stealth up behind the tomb and steal it out from under them.

It really was great as the different classes started to acquire their defining skills, but TTK was still low enough to give battles a brawly feel.

Although the massive T4 zergs with @wolvesight and the Candymancers were a special kind of awesome.

ECOED.jpg
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular

That was my favorite thing as a Witch Elf, although one time I actually pulled it off with a Squig Herder. It was in the T1 lake at the little town near the Chaos camp. It was recently captured by the Empire with about a minute left. Everybody was busy fighting so nobody noticed a little goblin (I had put the squig away) sneak in through the side entrance and capture the flag. Let me tell you, my heart was pounding as I watched the capture meter filling. Naturally, I died a few seconds later by a swarm of furious Order players but I was at least able to shout "WORTH IT!" right before I died.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Game turned five years old this month, if you can believe it. No content patches in two years...

Still subscription-based, which I assume is due to some arcane clause in the contract with GW.

YL9WnCY.png
  • NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Game turned five years old this month, if you can believe it. No content patches in two years...

Still subscription-based, which I assume is due to some arcane clause in the contract with GW.

I want to see their sub count. It count be more than a couple hundred, right?

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I tell you what, you'll know your pvp opponents by heart.

"There's Ted the orc. That dude is tanky as fuck, but he can't turn left. I think his mouse sticks. Just circle strafe him."

What is this I don't even.
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I haven't played in a while, did they make the sorcerers worth playing? What changes have they made to the Magus?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sorcs were always worth playing, they just weren't as fucking crazy as Bright Wizards.

Magus and Engineer got a series of buffs, but Mythic was so bad at balance that who knows if the changes did anything worthwhile.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    I remember playing a sorcerer when this came out, I think I could hit the hardest, provided I could stand still while casting. The bright wizard ability to run around and dot everyone was pretty OP though.

I also remember that the game was fun IMO up until the realm stuff, where Order had the greater access to CC and instant cast stuff compared to Chaos.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I remember squig herders got so much hate because people thought they were shamans in pvp. Then you punt them and laugh your green head off

edited September 2013
    EDIT: Double post win

Nyht on
    It just seems so unfair. Like I'm moderately curious what things look like but I've no interest in paying them money. I try not to reward bad behavior ...

The worst thing is I never got to play Order as my small group were Chaos people. I've NEVER seen the Order capital city except in terrible, laggy, rage filled raids.

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    I think I signed up for a month a few years back and created an Order character because I pretty much experienced the same thing.

It was actually pretty rad after only walking through the Inevitable City previously.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Sorcs were always worth playing, they just weren't as fucking crazy as Bright Wizards.

Magus and Engineer got a series of buffs, but Mythic was so bad at balance that who knows if the changes did anything worthwhile.

Currently using 2 CEs as bookends. At least the art book is pretty.

Fryhole on
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

Whelp

http://www.warhammeronline.com/article/Warhammer-Notice-Shutdown

For some reason I kept waiting for this game to come back from the dead somehow and just forgot about it. No work for two years? Guess they did too.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

Whelp

http://www.warhammeronline.com/article/Warhammer-Notice-Shutdown

For some reason I kept waiting for this game to come back from the dead somehow and just forgot about it. No work for two years? Guess they did too.

Well then. Can't say that, even though I haven't played it in ages, I'm not a little bit sad at the news.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    A total waste of good assets, and at least at its core a good game.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Finally, a mercy killing.

liEt3nH.png
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I was really rooting for them too, especially after the WH40K MMO fell through. They had some pretty good ideas, but I'm not sure what possessed them to think that people were gonna stick around in Tiers 1-3. Seems like they so massively overcommitted to non-endgame content for launch that 75% of their game went unused after the first month.

Its almost like the designed the whole game off DAoC where leveling was such a long grind people needed a distraction, but included WoW style quests and activities that whisked you off to endgame in a week. Before SI, I think it was a matter of weeks or months to get to 50, and SI didn't arrived for a year and a half?

I'll give em that the game was pretty enough. I really wanted them to use the assets in another game, but Wrath of Heroes seemed like such a random diversion I think it actually hurt any interest people like me still had.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Holy shit. I can't believe this game made it to 5 years.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I was really rooting for them too, especially after the WH40K MMO fell through. They had some pretty good ideas, but I'm not sure what possessed them to think that people were gonna stick around in Tiers 1-3. Seems like they so massively overcommitted to non-endgame content for launch that 75% of their game went unused after the first month.

Its almost like the designed the whole game off DAoC where leveling was such a long grind people needed a distraction, but included WoW style quests and activities that whisked you off to endgame in a week. Before SI, I think it was a matter of weeks or months to get to 50, and SI didn't arrived for a year and a half?

I'll give em that the game was pretty enough. I really wanted them to use the assets in another game, but Wrath of Heroes seemed like such a random diversion I think it actually hurt any interest people like me still had.

Since it apparently isn't well announced yet, there IS another Warhammer 40k MMO, this one an MMOFPS, by a completely different studio. Eternal Crusade. One of these days I'll probably make an OP, but there isn't a ton of info out yet other than a couple press releases.

What is this I don't even.
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    If nothing else, WAR was worth it. For the year or so I was there, I had great fun, lead massive raids, unearthed random achievements- freaking out that there's some dude with a dryad cloak and that I needed to have it in early T2 when stepping into a former Empire town in Ostland and seeing corpses of farmers litter the streets.

I will for sure have to log back into the game before the game shutters to take a few last photos of Kyder. The Six Mouths live on!

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Hey we also had some infamy, us Six Mouthers. Here's a rival guild discussing our exploits.

http://www.aureusknights.com/showthread.php?1127-The-Origins-of-Six-Mouths

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    RIP Iron Rock, RIP Iron Rock Weekly, RIP my Archmage.

I am totally on board with Camelot Unchained, though.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    It's a real shame that they went and tried to make a MOBA instead of converting the game to f2p.

Sounds like they *were* working on a F2P version. Wonder why they never pulled the trigger...

persona4celestia.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sounds like they *were* working on a F2P version. Wonder why they never pulled the trigger...

Because of the leash Games Workshop decided to pull
    But then I feel this was one of the many reasons why SWToR went F2Pish

Really it's was the thing that really upset me about the game was things like. I convinced my brother to play Warhammer since he liked the lore of it. We created two chaos characters a marauder and a magus. There was a chaos spawn in a pit that we and a bunch of level 4 to 5's decided to attack, there was about 20 of us and we failed to kill it

This and the rather unhelpful GM when my Shadow Hunter was behind the lines and they said for me to delete her and start all over

I feel that there is a fine very blurry line between making a game for a hard core crowd and the really hard to explain much less understand casual crowd.

edited September 2013
    Yeah, after saying that the thought train went, "Oh, right. GW. They're so anal-retentive about how their brand looks they'll totally shit things up just so they won't 'tarnish their image.' "

Going "free to play" would be like admitting failure. And yet, somehow closing the game down isn't.

So glad I don't give GW any of my money.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    It's been a long while since I actually thought about this game. It's the entire reason I joined up on the Penny Arcade forums. Joined the Six Mouths because I was into PA and into Warhammer, and was encouraged to sign up over here. Kind of sad to see it go. Not in the same way I was sad to see CoX go, as I never had any aspirations of coming back, but still.

I was so excited for this game, particularly once I got into the beta. I planned on making a Magus because sorcerers of Tzeentch are awesome, was gonna give PVP a shot since I had never really done that seriously in an MMO, was going in with a guild and a community already. And the game was pretty fun when I started out, very atmospheric, lots of cool features and touches in game. I was pretty diligent with leaving detailed feedback whenever possible, participating regularly on the testing forums, etc.

Of course eventually the flaws in the game started to show. Balance being the first and most obvious one. Not that I was expecting perfection, but as most of you know balance was pretty shit at launch. It was actually worse before launch though. They released a pretty big balancing update pretty shortly before the game came out. I remember being frustrated after that patch, because they boosted the Magus, but still did not really do much to make them not-shit. In a similar vein, Bright Wizards were very lightly nerfed, but still nigh-unstoppable killing machines. You'd see insane things like all Bright Wizard groups, or Bright Wizards plus one healer, and they would be hell to deal with. I still remember one particular defining moment where this was really hammered home. We had been boosted to 40 to test end game content, and I ended up in a one vs one fight with a Bright Wizard. Now, my Magus was specced towards screwing spellcasters, and Bright Wizards were supposed to be shit without support. This should have been ridiculously in my favor. I hit him with a barb that should hurt him every time he cast a spell, and then cast... I think Bolt of Change? Anyway, I started casting another spell after that finished, and keeled over to his instant cast dot damage. He walked away with about 80% of his health left. Shit was ridiculously broken. There was also shit like... I think keeps, whatever the big fortresses that had to be taken before capital cities could be pillaged were called, being stupidly easy to defend. I know they eventually did something about this after launch, but I also remember writing a detailed report in beta basically saying how and why this design would not work.

The game was being rushed badly too. I remember one of the developers actually snapping and ranting a bit at players on the Magus forum for being upset about, well, being terrible. The situation all around was less than ideal. Have to wonder how much better this game could have done if it was not rushed to release and then later strangled by remaining subscription only.

Sorry for rambling though.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    One of the things I feel that MMO's need to get over and is one of the failures of this game and SWToR is the holy trinity {Tank, Healer, DPS}
    Really I never understood how some of these classes were doomed to be a healer {yes they were a decent well thought out class unlike some other ones}
    In Swtor I really cannot figure out how does one "tank" a gunfight and with a lore of Bacta Tanks and other med kits they have a healer class?

Yeah went I got really upset but continued to play was when I made a Magus and really felt let down. They felt broken and half assed

I did pvp a few times most of the time the 'tank" would sit in the door way or make a wall with a few of them while the casters behind them pew pew'd everyone it was not fun

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Had so much fun with my Marauder, and then later the Ironbreaker that I made. If anything they did really get the awesome looks down, from the low levels where you have the appearance of what might basically be fodder for the tabletop game. To max level where you have the look of a 'hero' or leader type for your particular thing.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I was waiting for this game to make a turn around. It's too bad that will never happen.

oHw5R0V.jpg