As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    I have an issue with pinball. I bought all the tables. They're all mine. I really like the star wars tables so far!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Super thanks to Cloud for spotting me some pinball tables in my time of broke'ness! paid today and will shower him appropriately with something. I never see him playing games so I have no idea what to get him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Backlog -1. I finished Tomb Raider 100% last night. On one hand, its an awesome game. On the other hand, its over :( I'm really looking forward to the next game in the series!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    so if one were to pick up 2-3 tables which ones are good

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Corsini wrote: »
    Okay guys, should I get Patrician 4 and/or Port Royale 3. Sure they're cheap, but are they good?

Patrician 4 is a solid economic simulation. Not as good as Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery, but seeing as that game isn't on Steam it's still good.

Also, anyone know why Steamgifts is suddenly swarmed with Train Simulator 2013 keys?

Edit: Nevermind, apparently its in a new Groupees build-a-bundle.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I'm giving away Hitman Absolution through Steamgifts. It's G&T Group only, but please sign up!

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/0yZoK/hitman-absolution

Don't forget to sign up for my giveaway.

I don't know how to create fancy pants forum images for Steamgifts, but I do know how to PM you a steam key! Get on it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    so if one were to pick up 2-3 tables which ones are good

I might be ever so slightly biased for reasons, but Ms Splosion Man is pretty damn fun.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Ms Splosion Man is really good fun, it's probably a really good beginner table too as I don't remember there being anything too difficult in it but I've only played it twice so I could be wrong

I went back to Hulk last night and beat my score, I'd forgotten how much fun that table is too

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I'm giving away Hitman Absolution through Steamgifts. It's G&T Group only, but please sign up!

I don't know how to create fancy pants forum images for Steamgifts, but I do know how to PM you a steam key! Get on it.

Psst, @GoodKingJayIII, from the OP...

v0nJCVB.jpg

:)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I enjoyed my time in Ms. 'Splosion Man last night. Crazy easy to get a 2 ball multiball going, and then you can make it 3, then 4-ball. Don't know if there's an upward limit.

I don't know why, but Fear Itself is one of my favorite tables, and I'm terrible at it. For some reason the design really appeals to me. I think it's a combination of its complexity along with its color scheme that reminds me of 90s era pinball tables. Contrast that with Thor, a table that I really enjoy but whose color scheme is eye-searingly garish (and awesome).

Overall, it's likely a minority view but of the non-Marvel tables Rome has always been my favorite. From the music, to it's design, to how every single thing is soaking in SPQR combined with the fact that it is easy enough to bang the ball around but it is a very technical table that really requires you to learn its ins and outs in order to score anything more than middling points. Contrast that with Secrets of the Deep, one of its partners in the pack, which is more straightforward and easy to get some multiball jackpot action going.

I love pinball. I can't wait for the Pinball Arcade to make it to Steam. Greenlight Link here.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    skyknyt wrote: »
    Yeah, credit cards get fussy about digital purchases. Last steam sale I had to take to Visa's AND my bank's risk departments about what I was doing making multiple purchases at 4am.

One of my credit cards can't make any more Steam purchases because reasons. The bank couldn't (wouldn't?) fix it for me (according to Steam support it was on their end.)

Another card (same bank) has no problem, however.

During the Summer Sale I burned through so many $3-$5 debit card purchases in the middle of the night it was unreal, and then made like twenty $0.01 purchases from BestBuy's website when they had that pricing fuckup on Metro: Last Light, which was then followed by 19 instances of Best Buy refunding $0.01 to my account.

My bank (Chase) didn't bat an eye at any of this. Not sure whether to be happy or sad about that.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Here's a key for FTL for the one person who doesn't already have it. May all your hulls be breached and your engine rooms ablaze.
    FZNC6-3L39N-XJKJ0

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Psst, @GoodKingJayIII, from the OP...

v0nJCVB.jpg

:)

You just upgraded this giveaway by 5000.

signature.png

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    FX Pinball itself is F2P correct? You just buy the different tables?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Excision wrote: »

Yeah, it includes one free table and the ability to sample all the tables (you just can't go over a certain score). The tables are bought, some in packs, some individually.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Hypothetical situation. If a man could only purchase 1 of the $3 FX Pinball table packs....which would he purchase?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

It kinda feels like a stretch to call it F2P. I'd say it has a really awesome demo.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hypothetical situation. If a man could only purchase 1 of the $3 FX Pinball table packs....which would he purchase?

I would get the FX2 Core pack, the Marvel Pinball Original Pack, or the Marvel Pinball Avengers Chronicles pack. If you're preference is to Marvel, I would probably lean to the Avengers Chronicles pack because The Infinity Gauntlet is one of the top 3 tables available, World War Hulk is particularly liked, and I think Fear Itself is a great table.

But again, you get the chance to demo all the tables, so be sure you do that before the sale is over at 10:00 AM PST.

For reference, the tables in each pack are:

FX2 Core Pack: Rome, Pasha, Biolab & Secrets of the Deep
    Marvel Pinball Original Pack: Iron Man, Wolverine, Spider-Man & Blade.
    Avengers Chronicles: The Avengers Movie, World War Hulk, Infinity Gauntlet & Fear Itself.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    SniperGuy sniped me with the Star Wars tables. He should be tried for war crimes against my oh so weak will and sparse Steam Wallet, for he has caused a loss of both. Due to his unwarranted aggression, I find myself with a few more tables and less funds.

(Thanks again, Sniper!)

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    For what it's worth, I got some of those FX2 tables, and they were all crashing last night until I went to Offline Mode in Steam. Someone else had mentioned being in that situation, with further comments about the game I figured I'd confirm the same.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    In other news, I did the basic tutorial on Crusader Kings II last night, and then tried to start a campaign. This game is incredibly complex! A little daunting to say the least.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I got some of those FX2 tables, and they were all crashing last night until I went to Offline Mode in Steam. Someone else had mentioned being in that situation, with further comments about the game I figured I'd confirm the same.

I didn't have that problem, though.

And it seems to have downloaded a patch some moments ago, maybe it was a fix?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular

I read something about this on the steam forum earlier, I haven't run into the issue myself so I can't confirm but people seem to be saying if you select the table with mouse then it's ok, might be worth a try?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular

Yeah, there's a bunch of mentions about this in the Steam Forums. I wasn't hit with it for some reason, but might be due to me using my wired controller, cause some were saying using the Enter Key was their point of failure. Now, take this with a HUGE block of salt, as I have no clue. But, for me, I had no problem playing last night on my laptop hooked up to my TV with the 360 controller.

I think Pinball will help me get past my jonesin' for GTA V.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    A while ago someone mentioned they had an awesomenauts discount code. If that person hasn't used it yet, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I missed out on that sale a few days ago, but I did play during the free weekend and it was a lot of fun!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    DAMN YOU @LUCHAIRE!!! The nerve, forcing @Sumanai to gift me the Ms. Splosion table... Will the Pinkuisition never end!?!?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Pinball Fx 2 crashing is new, most likely the result of yesterdays update. I've never had the game crash on me before.

• Options
    oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    My Pinball FX2 started crashing as well :(

Right when I started considering getting a couple more tables...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

I didn't have that problem, though.

And it seems to have downloaded a patch some moments ago, maybe it was a fix?

Still crashes for me :(

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    So, somebody sell me on Alan Wake. I purchased it back when it was a HB, and I'm making my way through now (Chapter 2), but man.... I can absolutely hear the writers in this game saying "Bro, we are so fucking smart with this horror stuff; it's got layers". Also egregious product placement and immersion-breaking chapter transitions.

Does it get any better or no?

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Alan Wake does get better (I loved the final chapter of the main game, and the special episodes are wonderfully bizarre), but a big chunk of the appeal for me was that it's riffing on the slightly hokey horror genre. If that's not your thing, then yeah, I can see the game being pretty irritating overall.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    DAMN YOU @LUCHAIRE!!! The nerve, forcing @Sumanai to gift me the Ms. Splosion table... Will the Pinkuisition never end!?!?

I....

Wait what?

Well, okay. I'm good with Sumanai being a willing minion of the Pink Empire. Carry on. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    When did you have a pink Empire.

I've been busy for too long.

• Options
    When did you have a pink Empire.

I've been busy for too long.

All Empresses need legal counsel ;-)

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    No those people get killed.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    So, somebody sell me on Alan Wake. I purchased it back when it was a HB, and I'm making my way through now (Chapter 2), but man.... I can absolutely hear the writers in this game saying "Bro, we are so fucking smart with this horror stuff; it's got layers". Also egregious product placement and immersion-breaking chapter transitions.

Does it get any better or no?

Not really. Like if you aren't sold on that stuff already, you're not going to be more sold on it as you get deeper.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    I have an issue with pinball. I bought all the tables. They're all mine. I really like the star wars tables so far!
    I did too - just picked up the remaining ones this morning. Last night I played quite a bit, I think I'm most in love with the Fantastic Four one right now, super fun and easy to figure out in terms of goals.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al Baron wrote: »

Valve to make the sun go nova in 5 years.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    In other news, I did the basic tutorial on Crusader Kings II last night, and then tried to start a campaign. This game is incredibly complex! A little daunting to say the least.

We, well, okay, I, at least, am here to answer your questions!

We also have a CKII / EUIV thread somewhere over there, where there are many other people who would like to answer your questions.

But, seriously, if you haven't done so, friend me on Steam and shoot questions at me if you get stumped by something.

Also, Ambition is good, but only for your heir. :D

This discussion has been closed.