As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Some weekend hot deals at Green Man Gaming (use GMG25-J4B0D-FLH8M for an extra -25% off):
    Binary Domain for 3,75€ at GetGames:
    http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/binary-domain

Such an awesome game, I really recommend it.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Someone must already have some crazy theories about the symbols in each of the circles on that living room page.

Sitting in front of your computer alone.
    Sitting in front of your tv, on your couch, alone.
    Sitting in front of your tv, on your couch with friend.

That's far too sensible, I want conspiracy theories people!

Steam sharing + big picture mode will implement (steam managed) split screen of BPM games?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Those symbols have to mean something.
    Thing, thing and empty space and thing + thing?

Looks like cell growth/division. At least it was my first thought. Steam and the glorious pc master race are evolving!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Mudzgut wrote: »
    I don't want to feel more mediocre at digital pinball than I already do, but at the same time, maybe with more pinball players in my list I'll see scores I can attempt to beat rather than scores that look like the gods of pinball achieved them. Is there...is there a P/A Pinball group?

There was a pinball thread that lasted for a few years, but people have moved on.

However, the integration of the scores with the Steam friends list, as well as the fact that one of the tables is free, and the rest, even when not on sale, are both fantastically cheap and good values means that this thread works well for taunting each other when it comes to our scores. :D

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Hrm. 95 minutes played of Metro: Last Light today and no card drops.

Hrm...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    If it makes you feel better, the pinball tables are really good. Some I don't care for, but not once I have played one and thought it wasn't well done.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I don't want to feel more mediocre at digital pinball than I already do, but at the same time, maybe with more pinball players in my list I'll see scores I can attempt to beat rather than scores that look like the gods of pinball achieved them. Is there...is there a P/A Pinball group?

There was a pinball thread that lasted for a few years, but people have moved on.

However, the integration of the scores with the Steam friends list, as well as the fact that one of the tables is free, and the rest, even when not on sale, are both fantastically cheap and good values means that this thread works well for taunting each other when it comes to our scores. :D

The best thing about being resigned to the fact that one sucks at video games (but loves them anyway) is never having to feel bad about being at the bottom of the leaderboards... or worry about maintaining a spot at the top. Stress-and-taunting-free gaming! Woot!

I have to take what comfort I can get...

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Gabe Newell was at a Linux conference earlier where he said Valve would discuss some of their hardware plans next week, so don't be disappointed when it's not a new game announcement.

• Options
    SpuzSpuz Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Fiskav wrote: »
    Sigh. You can go here and apparently get cheap games with Steam keys: http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/promotion/426 . I did just that, and bought BNW for $15, and Spec Ops: The Line for $7.50. Bargain, right?

Perhaps, but I just got this email: Thanks for your recent order on GameFly! We are hoping to speak with you directly to verify this purchase. We will reach out to you as soon as possible using the email address or phone number located on your account during the following times, Monday –Friday from 8AM CST to 7PM CST and Saturday/Sunday from 8AM CST to 6PM CST.

This is what I get for not using PayPal.

I got the same message when I picked up Bioshock Infinite from GameFly the other day. The next message I got from them was "Your digital items are ready to download" an hour or so later, so I guess they just put a brief hold on it to do some verification.

Edit: And I was using PayPal, so that might not have helped you.

Spuz on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    So I guess Valve has three announcements next week. Could each symbol be a hint for a different announcement?

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I can't decide if this looks awesome, bad, or awesomely bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZznEsf7IIE

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Wild predictions for what the symbols mean;

The first is the Steambox itself.
    The second will be details about its upgradeability.
    The third will be something to do with linking two Steamboxes together, either to act as some kind of parallel Super Steambox or to allow local sharing of games.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Nah; first will be SteamOS, next will be SteamPad and the last will be the SteamBox hardware standard.

...Okay Valve, I'm not necessarily excited, but I'm a little bit intrigued, and this has made a kinda crappy day a bit brighter.

EDIT: looking at the icons more closely, I'm going to amend it to SteamOS; SteamBox and then more details about account sharing.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Nah; first will be SteamOS, next will be SteamPad and the last will be the SteamBox hardware standard.

...Okay Valve, I'm not necessarily excited, but I'm a little bit intrigued, and this has made a kinda crappy day a bit brighter.

EDIT: looking at the icons more closely, I'm going to amend it to SteamOS; SteamBox and then more details about account sharing.

Pfffff, it's pretty obvious if you look at it: Steam is going to enter into the dating site business and arrange Steam Marriages and stuff.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

Looks like a GoW clone with some nice setpieces to me.

If it ends up being good I'll check it out. I've been in the mood for a 3D brutal hack and slash lately, so hopefully it's better than Garshasp was.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Drovek wrote: »

Pfffff, it's pretty obvious if you look at it: Steam is going to enter into the dating site business and arrange Steam Marriages and stuff.

SWM NS/ND iso SF HWP or BBW w HL3 and 4GB+ RAM for CO OP
    :winky:

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    Those symbols have to mean something.
    Thing, thing and empty space and thing + thing?

Looks like cell growth/division. At least it was my first thought. Steam and the glorious pc master race are evolving!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwT8FOyXkMw

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    It's been confirmed for a while that they were working on L4D3, right? I see them announcing it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

If it ends up being good I'll check it out. I've been in the mood for a 3D brutal hack and slash lately, so hopefully it's better than Garshasp was.

Certainly looks like one to pick up on sale. In the meantime I should definitely start Binary Domain.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It's been confirmed for a while that they were working on L4D3, right? I see them announcing it.
    Not confirmed; but there's been a couple of unconfirmed leaks. Now, one could have been faked, and then the other one faked based off the info from the first fake, but that overall I think the leaks are fairly reliable.

I doubt they're announcing it on a page entitled "Steam Livingroom - The Steam Universe is Expanding." though.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

Certainly looks like one to pick up on sale. In the meantime I should definitely start Binary Domain.

Looks like there's a demo on XBLA.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Not confirmed; but there's been a couple of unconfirmed leaks. Now, one could have been faked, and then the other one faked based off the info from the first fake, but that overall I think the leaks are fairly reliable.

I doubt they're announcing it on a page entitled "Steam Livingroom - The Steam Universe is Expanding." though.

Well, if it's a launch title for the Steambox, they might...

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    signature.png

Congrats @Kristmas Kthulhu

I'll PM you your keys here shortly

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    Maybe they will let you play your steam library on your PS4 via its streaming service

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    Malakaius wrote: »
    Maybe they will let you play your steam library on your PS4 via its streaming service
    Great now I'm sitting at work and I need new pants. Thanks a lot.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Goddammit @Shdwcaster - I did not deserve this sort of treatment.
    monkeyisland.jpg

But thanks! Monkeys and islands and islands of monkeys and... wait, I lost my train of thought. @CorriganX?

heart.png

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Well, if it's a launch title for the Steambox, they might...

Yeah with a Linux based device there isn't an abundance of games available for it right out of the gate. If Valve wanted to convince people to buy a Steam Box and in turn get more developers to support it and Linux, having a so called 'killer app' wouldn't hurt. Even if it isn't exclusive, if they bundled it in with the hardware that could push people into considering it if the other features are useful. I imagine the recently announced Steam Family Sharing will be a part of it as well.

And with three announcements coming this week, I anticipate some software news alongside the hardware.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »

My wild guess/hope is a way to use a Chromecast or AppleTV for streaming your gameplay without having to move your computer.

That would be amazing, it would only really save me about ten minutes setting up but I would play more games on my TV if this was a thing

I just added you, I know I'm seen as one of the better players around here but it's still better to play with the friends leaderboard than the superhuman scores on the main leaderboard

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular

Considering how the PS4 wants to be about Indie Developers, I don't think its out of the realm of possibility. However PSN wants your money.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

I've got the sound off due to being in a library and I know the audio won't surpass what I have in my head.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    If you need a bro competition on the Ms Splosion man table, I'm number 7 on my leader boards.
    out of 7. 8->

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    It occurs to me that with college starting back up, this would be a fine time to make an announcement to rope in all those fresh young minds with newly deposited financial aid checks.

• Options
    Noizlanif wrote: »

Considering how the PS4 wants to be about Indie Developers, I don't think its out of the realm of possibility. However PSN wants your money.

They'd get money anyway, since it would require PS+. It's not outside of the realm of possibility considering the thing they did with Portal 2, where buying the PS3 version got your the Steam version for free.

It would be interesting to see how streaming Steam games to the PS4 would affect both double dipping and bad ports, since the PS4 hardware would be capable of playing both PS4 and PC versions the end user could just buy whichever version is better or cheaper. Further speculation: Maybe it would mean more simultaneous launches between PC and console, so you wouldn't have to wait months for the PC version.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess one announcement will be an official Steam controller that is 360 compatible. That way they keep all the games working that already work with that controller but break free from Microsoft a bit, especially since the One is coming out which will eventually sunset the primary controller most of us use.

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    If you need a bro competition on the Ms Splosion man table, I'm number 7 on my leader boards.
    out of 7. 8->

I have to admit that Ms. Splosion Man is not one of the tables I own...yet. Picked up Civil War, Mars, Paranormal, the Avengers pack and the Virtue and Vengeance pack during the sale though!

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I imagine the x1 controller will work for PCs....eventually. I mean, they have to test that using dev pcs and stuff

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    I imagine the x1 controller will work for PCs....eventually. I mean, they have to test that using dev pcs and stuff

MS said that it will eventually work for PC, just not at launch. Best guess from anybody there is that they're trying to avoid not having enough hardware for actual XBone buyers. (I know I would love to grab one.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    While I do think the X1 controller will work eventually you have to assume that they are either making their own Steam box or setting up requirements for others to build them. In those requirements has to be that the controller meets certain guidelines - and right now their controls are definitely skewed towards the 360 controllers. I would be stunned if they released a system and included something built by MS, or had a list of requirements that includes a MS product. I think they are teaming with someone to release a Steamtroller of some type.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

I've got the sound off due to being in a library and I know the audio won't surpass what I have in my head.

"Killing him... will only piss him off."

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I think it actually looks really fucking awesome. Cheesy awesome, but that's the best kind of awesome there is.

bubba-ho-tep-2002-21-g.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.