As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    While I do think the X1 controller will work eventually you have to assume that they are either making their own Steam box or setting up requirements for others to build them. In those requirements has to be that the controller meets certain guidelines - and right now their controls are definitely skewed towards the 360 controllers. I would be stunned if they released a system and included something built by MS, or had a list of requirements that includes a MS product. I think they are teaming with someone to release a Steamtroller of some type.

Yeah, I can see that they wouldn't want to tie themselves to anyone in particular, least of all MS which is the reason this whole SteamBox thing started. And yes, a controller is a necessary step towards this.

But a whole announcement based around a SteamBox and a Controller? I don't know... there has to be something more "killer app" in this.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    That Marlow Briggs trailer has a version of my gaming philosophy for years, which is based off a line from the Doom movie starring Karl Urban and The Rock.

"If it moves, kill it."

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Hey everybody, remember this summer when I was studying for the bar exam?

I PASSED!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Gratz @DoctorArch!

steam_sig.png
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    BRO! Congrats!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Talus9952 wrote: »

I think you mean, "Gratz, @DoctorArch, Esquire!"

:D:D:D

Elvenshae wrote: »

Man, Dr. Arch, Esq. PhD?

steam_sig.png

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Man, Dr. Arch, Esq. PhD?

You're forgetting Attorney at Law.

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    I'm just now seeing the news about the Steambox announcement...still really bummed that they're going with a Linux box. I just don't see it gaining much traction at all if it's limited to games with Linux support, or if you're required to go and set up a USB install of Windows to make it a viable gaming machine. I know that's not too complex or anything, but it just couldn't take off as a mass market device.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Okay, just tried the trial for the Marlowe Briggs game on XBLA. That trailer? Eighty percent of that is, like, the first ten minutes of the game. I mean, no messing about, no drawn out opening that makes you play for an hour before getting to the fun stuff. No, it's blam, first cutscene, huge Mayan scythe through the chest, death mask starts talking to you, ride the hood of that exploding truck, off you go. Kill these guys! Now fight a guy with a flamethrower on top of a runaway cable car! Now get on that turret and shoot down a bunch of helicopters! Now blow up that enormous hydraulic digger!

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular

Man, Dr. Arch, Esq. PhD?

You're forgetting Attorney at Law.
    Phoenix-Wright-01-768x1024.jpg

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    Okay, just tried the trial for the Marlowe Briggs game on XBLA. That trailer? Eighty percent of that is, like, the first ten minutes of the game. I mean, no messing about, no drawn out opening that makes you play for an hour before getting to the fun stuff. No, it's blam, first cutscene, huge Mayan scythe through the chest, death mask starts talking to you, ride the hood of that exploding truck, off you go. Kill these guys! Now fight a guy with a flamethrower on top of a runaway cable car! Now get on that turret and shoot down a bunch of helicopters! Now blow up that enormous hydraulic digger!

I like games with no nonsense filler, but this seems like....wasn't it Ride to Hell Retribution that starts the game with a flash forward turret sequence with no context?

steam_sig.png

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I like games with no nonsense filler, but this seems like....wasn't it Ride to Hell Retribution that starts the game with a flash forward turret sequence with no context?

Who needs context? I just want to murder thousands of mans and blow shit the fuck up.

JtgVX0H.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I need a good 2-3 minutes of gameplay so I know exactly what I'm getting into. I love action but if the only spice is 'our action is OVER THE TOP!' that's not gonna get me to buy.

I'm sure this will be up on youtube soon if it isn't already.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

No flashbacks or anything, this is all, like, one thing after the other.
    Variable wrote: »
    I need a good 2-3 minutes of gameplay so I know exactly what I'm getting into. I love action but if the only spice is 'our action is OVER THE TOP!' that's not gonna get me to buy.

Yeah, I just tried to see if I could find anything on youtube, but nothing apart from the trailer yet. As I say, demo on XBLA if you can get to an xbox.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    I can't, alas. but thank you.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

In a bold move, the Steam trailer is actually a complete Let's Play of the entire game.

s7Imn5J.png
    aw I didn't mean that

• CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    Last week @Mere_Immortal bought me a copy of the dystopian document thriller Papers, Please and you know how I do thanks: by making you want it (just ask @Triple B).

Papers, Please.

ibzyKyYRnQiedZ.png

So, what is the nature of your visit today? Immigration? Ahh, you have come to pledge allegiance to the great and infallible nation of glorious Arstotzka eh? Let me tell you about our fine leaders in this wonderful country. They are harsh but fair like the cold winter. They expect every civilian to do their part in keeping the country strong. I lucked out into this position as immigration inspector. Fate placed my name into their hands for the October Labor Lottery and now I get to safely guide others into this fine country!

The pay? Well, the pay is… alright I guess. I get a few bucks here and there per perfect inspection, so long as I follow these few simple rules! If I ever fail Arstotzka by reducing my diligence my pay reflects this. I must remember that I am here to reject whomever the government says is not allowed within our borders, for they may wish to bring harm to this land. Only if we work together can we protect the people from our enemies and the first line of defense is right here at this border station.

It can get pretty difficult, yeah. This booth is barely as wide as I am and the inspection desk is unable to hold all of the required documents at the same time. I’ve often got to shuffle things around while checking every number, date, stamp and listed vital information. You can lose documents fairly easily, I’ve had a few citations from leaving an admission ticket under the guidebook and not noticing scum presenting a forgery. The M.O.A. catches these fairly quickly though. In fact I’ve… kind of grown to fear the sound of the printer going off. Every time I hear that thing spit out another slip I know I’ve screwed up. But I have to remember that the punishment is to assure less mistakes. Less mistakes means a safer Arstotzka for you and I.

They change the rules a lot too. This identity supplement you have here? We didn’t have those a few weeks ago, they were phased in after some immigration problems arose and we needed to enact stricter documentation for all entering foreigners. If you didn’t have one I’d have to deny you entry and send you on your way back. A costly mistake, one that has messed with some travelers’ plans here and there but it is a safeguard we must uphold. See that camera up there? Just got installed last week, we have to use it for contraband searches. No weapons or illicit materials allowed across these borders! Feels a little bit creepy though, taking photographs of these people all stripped down. I used to use it whenever I noticed weight discrepancies but a few lucky ones snuck past by standing on their product. Got a good few citations on that one. It gets really hectic to remember all the rules when the clock is ticking down. In fact, they just installed this doohicky today and I don’t even know how to use it yet. But I must figure it out for the people of Arstotzka are counting on me.

ibe3BlDjGhl115.png

There’s only so many hours in the day and every second during an inspection counts. With all of these additional checks and tools I need to use inspections can get drawn out thanks to shoddy paperwork from other less civilized countries. No offense! Well, I guess you don’t care about that if you’re moving here. On a good day I can get maybe 15 people through inspection, usually closer to 10. And that barely leaves any room for error. On a more normal day when I’m feeling the pressure of the clock ticking down every second like a metronome from hell itself I slip up and… I get docked quite a bit of pay. The mounting pressure during inspections can be intense let me tell you. Every time I fail to adhere to a guideline or notice a falsified document or fail to catch something they say that is suspicious is another citation. It’s hard enough as it is to break even after food, power for heat and rent.

But I resist the temptation of wealthy bribes, as alluring as it is to have half a day’s pay lifted off of your shoulders on one falsified immigrant. All sorts of shady extremist groups who would see harm done to our great country and its people have offered me more cash than I’ve ever seen in one spot before. Yet I hold strong even when they threaten my well being for failure to cooperate. I’ve had a few cases that really put a damper on my day, like the couple I had to split, watching one walk back to a country they betrayed because her documents were not in order. Or the people whose privacy I have to violate in the name of this country and spit in their face as their biological sex does not match what they proclaim their gender to be. I have seen souls crushed with the single click of a stamp, and in my sleep I remember every look their eyes have given me. But I do everything by the book. I have to, to ensure my remaining family’s safety during the harsh Arstotzkian winter.

The wife is ill, her mother is starving and I’m certain my uncle has turned into a popsicle by now. Day after day I have to make more sacrifices of important things we all need to live our lives as punishment for my mistakes. Some days we all starved but were too cold to feel our stomachs growl. Others we’ve all been sick and unable to keep the food down perpetuating an awful cycle of malnourishment and illness. My son was stricken down by a terrible fever that would not reduce. I could not afford his medicine in time while keeping everyone else fed. I failed my own child, stranger. Do you know what it’s like to have to watch your child leave not for their school, but in a box that will be planted six feet in the ground? Do you understand that I made these mistakes and I had to pay the price of my own flesh and blood? I keep this crayon drawing of his on wall over there to remind myself tha-

I… I’m sorry, I don’t know what came over me. All of these days of crunch time have been really stressing me out. Only one and a half more weeks left ‘til I’ve served my time for this country! Well, everything seems to be in order. Take care to keep all these documents safe until your new passport is issued. Oh, I almost forgot. Here.

imAy7GrI08nFo.png

Glory to Arstotzka, Comrade.

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    While I do think the X1 controller will work eventually you have to assume that they are either making their own Steam box or setting up requirements for others to build them. In those requirements has to be that the controller meets certain guidelines - and right now their controls are definitely skewed towards the 360 controllers. I would be stunned if they released a system and included something built by MS, or had a list of requirements that includes a MS product. I think they are teaming with someone to release a Steamtroller of some type.

Logitech is probably the most likely candidate for that, actually. A lot of the Big Picture ads and what not display the Logitech F710, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Steambox controller simply ends up being a slightly-modified version of that.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    So apparently @rikdaly is too awesome for PFX2 to handle. After reading on the steam forums about other people having issues with new friends, I unfriended him (the last person I added) and now it works fine.

And now I feel a little better about my scores too.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    I'm just now seeing the news about the Steambox announcement...still really bummed that they're going with a Linux box. I just don't see it gaining much traction at all if it's limited to games with Linux support, or if you're required to go and set up a USB install of Windows to make it a viable gaming machine. I know that's not too complex or anything, but it just couldn't take off as a mass market device.

I would be really surprised if they release a Linux based steambox without having figured out some not overly complicated workaround to make games without Linux support work. They would be foolish to create a product that wouldn't work with the majority of their offered games. I also think that whatever they think about to work around this problem will be fairly simple as the Steambox itself is supposed to be a player friendly unit, that's why there has also been talk on their part about making it easily upgradable.

• rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    So apparently @rikdaly is too awesome for PFX2 to handle. After reading on the steam forums about other people having issues with new friends, I unfriended him (the last person I added) and now it works fine.

And now I feel a little better about my scores too.

hahaha, that's pretty funny! maybe it's a friend limit thing then? the store page says I have 65 friends that play Pinball FX2 but it's probably closer to about 30 that actually have a score on any table. I hope they sort it out though as it seems to be affecting a lot of people

steam_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

In a bold move, the Steam trailer is actually a complete Let's Play of the entire game.

Already been done.

Logitech is probably the most likely candidate for that, actually. A lot of the Big Picture ads and what not display the Logitech F710, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Steambox controller simply ends up being a slightly-modified version of that.

XInput has done a lot of good things for PC gaming with a gamepad. We're a far cry from the old days, where there were different drivers for everything and ok this game works with my Gravis Gamepad over a nine pin serial but it doesn't work with my Gameport Sidewinder and I want to get a Logitech Wingman but I don't know if it's compatible and this gamepad has 1 2 3 4 buttons but this one has A B C D buttons and I don't know which is which and and and...

Now, decades after the term was first used, we have finally reached "plug and play" for gamepads. You just plug an XInput controller in and boom, it's good to go, and you even get authentic button prompts. Moving away from that would be silly. Microsoft says that the Xbone controller won't be compatible with PCs "at launch", but if they've changed the API significantly from the 360 pad I'll be genuinely surprised. If I were a betting man, I'd wager the Steambox's Steampad/Steamtroller/SteamHID will just be a custom built XInput device, using the dash button to pull up the overlay, and maybe a few extra dedicated buttons for pulling up your friends list or taking screenshots or something like that.

I've been wrong before though.

SmokeStacks on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »

I would be really surprised if they release a Linux based steambox without having figured out some not overly complicated workaround to make games without Linux support work. They would be foolish to create a product that wouldn't work with the majority of their offered games. I also think that whatever they think about to work around this problem will be fairly simple as the Steambox itself is supposed to be a player friendly unit, that's why there has also been talk on their part about making it easily upgradable.

Why do you think Steam has been so up on Linux support lately?

You can't just magically make software work for an OS it wasn't programmed for, short of emulating that OS, which there is roughly zero chance of happening.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    It makes me laugh when one of us sends each other an invite and we have like 126 bro's in common.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Thanks a bunch, @Incindium! I had Soul Reaver on the PC waaaaaaaay back in the day, but never got to play any of the sequels. I look forward to some time shenanigans and lazer swordz in my future.

I grabbed LoK collection on GOG some time ago. I really specifically want to play soul reaver but I still haven't. should! playing that on dreamcast is an incredibly fond memory.

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular

XInput has done a lot of good things for PC gaming with a gamepad. We're a far cry from the old days, where there were different drivers for everything and ok this game works with my Gravis Gamepad over a nine pin serial but it doesn't work with my Gameport Sidewinder and I want to get a Logitech Wingman but I don't know if it's compatible and this gamepad has 1 2 3 4 buttons but this one has A B C D buttons and I don't know which is which and and and...

Now, decades after the term was first used, we have finally reached "plug and play" for gamepads. You just plug an XInput controller in and boom, it's good to go, and you even get authentic button prompts. Moving away from that would be silly. Microsoft says that the Xbone controller won't be compatible with PCs "at launch", but if they've changed the API significantly from the 360 pad I'll be genuinely surprised. If I were a betting man, I'd wager the Steambox's Steampad/Steamtroller/SteamHID will just be a custom built XInput device, using the dash button to pull up the overlay, and maybe a few extra dedicated buttons for pulling up your friends list or taking screenshots or something like that.

The F710 is an XInput device (as is the F310 and the F510). So like I said, I could see them using a modified F710.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Those symbols have to mean something.
    Thing, thing and empty space and thing + thing?

one classy monocle, an array of monocles with a null value, classy monocle + classy monocle.
    obviously its the class-signal.

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I grabbed LoK collection on GOG some time ago. I really specifically want to play soul reaver but I still haven't. should! playing that on dreamcast is an incredibly fond memory.

The setting, atmosphere, and acting still hold up incredibly well to this day. I don't know if the sequels manage to keep it up, but I look forward to finding out.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Well, it took my 91st game with card drops, but I finally got a foil.

Hoy. That's GOT to be a statistical outlier.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So, we were discussing awesome indie games and how they need to go on sale in the Steam chat and @Dalantia gifts me Ironclad Tactics! I'm a sucker for card based games and am extremely excited to play it! Thanks again!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

The F710 is an XInput device (as is the F310 and the F510). So like I said, I could see them using a modified F710.

I know, I was agreeing with you. I have an F310. I grabbed it over an Xbox 360 controller because the Logitech F series have those hardware toggles to switch between XInput and DirectInput. In hindsight, although the F310 isn't a bad controller, I wish I would have spent more and gotten something nicer. The triggers can be a pain to hold for long periods of time, which take a toll on my fingers during long Outrun or Trackmania sessions.

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    So, first Friday off and I ended up playing an hour each of Saint's Row 4 and Tomb Raider, some Rogue Legacy, Super Meat Boy, and Sine Mora. 'Wasted' the morning with family time, kiddo didn't go to daycare until 10am instead of the usual 8am. Then washed the car, dug a trench (gonna run an ethernet cable out to my mom's building in our back yard, the wifi repeater isn't strong enough apparently), replaced some lightbulbs, and did some other home stuffs. All in all, not a TERRIBLE Friday off, but next week I'm hoping wife and houseguest won't be around the entire time, so I won't need to use headphones and feel so 'judged' all the time. Tonight Mrs. Dirk and our temporary houseguest are working, so as soon as the kiddo is asleep it's whiskey and virtual guns all night long!

camo_sig2.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular

So I dug up a comment about Soul Reaver I'd made a while back...
    If you play Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver you'll want to use a controller. However the 360 controller pad didn't work by default. So I installed Pinnacle Game Profiler and used the config they had to map keyboard controls to the 360 controller. If you do this you need to make sure to set the game to be using keyboard controls. Plays pretty well the controller after getting that working.

One of the other apps that let you bind keyboard controls to your controller should work as well.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Me: have a few minutes to spare, might as well play pinball for 5 minutes

**an hour later**

**still playing pinball**

Me: Curse you stream thread for getting me hooked on this ridiculously fun game

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Happy Friday folks! Don't forget to register for my Hitman Absolution giveaway!

signature.png

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

So I dug up a comment about Soul Reaver I'd made a while back...
    If you play Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver you'll want to use a controller. However the 360 controller pad didn't work by default. So I installed Pinnacle Game Profiler and used the config they had to map keyboard controls to the 360 controller. If you do this you need to make sure to set the game to be using keyboard controls. Plays pretty well the controller after getting that working.

One of the other apps that let you bind keyboard controls to your controller should work as well.

On this note, How is the port of Soul Reaver 2? It is the only one I didn't play on the original console, should I pick it up on steam or look around for a bargain bin copy for PSX/PS2?

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Nah; first will be SteamOS, next will be SteamPad and the last will be the SteamBox hardware standard.

...Okay Valve, I'm not necessarily excited, but I'm a little bit intrigued, and this has made a kinda crappy day a bit brighter.

EDIT: looking at the icons more closely, I'm going to amend it to SteamOS; SteamBox and then more details about account sharing.

No wait, I got it! SteamOS, SteamBox, and SteamStream (SteamVent?), which would be a service for streaming content from your computer to the living room so you don't need to move your PC out of the office.

Undead Scottsman on
This discussion has been closed.