As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Just finished Tomb Raider.

86% completion, will be back later for the 100%. Just not today, I'll let it rest for a day or two.

This game is a must-play for anyone, even if you're not a fan of the series or even not familiar with them (my particular case.) It does awesome things, sometimes in spectacular ways. Characters and their development is top notch, the story, gameplay, music... everything just falls into place like a whole and nothing bad stands out.

If you ever even considered it as a potential game to play, do it without doubt. This turned Lara into one of my favorite characters.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

86% completion, will be back later for the 100%. Just not today, I'll let it rest for a day or two.

This game is a must-play for anyone, even if you're not a fan of the series or even not familiar with them (my particular case.) It does awesome things, sometimes in spectacular ways. Characters and their development is top notch, the story, gameplay, music... everything just falls into place like a whole and nothing bad stands out.

If you ever even considered it as a potential game to play, do it without doubt. This turned Lara into one of my favorite characters.

How reliant on jump scares/startles does the game end up being, in total? I'm tired of dudes grabbing at my legs when I'm climbing through a tight crevasse and I'm not very far in yet. She's already doing things I'd never do by trusting so many random strangers (read: anyone)

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00

How reliant on jump scares/startles does the game end up being, in total? I'm tired of dudes grabbing at my legs when I'm climbing through a tight crevasse and I'm not very far in yet. She's already doing things I'd never do by trusting so many random strangers (read: anyone)

I don't think the games does it (or attempts it) many times, actually. Though I personally didn't consider those first two "jump scares." And as for the other comment: well, she does grow into a great character through the game, and it never feels forced. You'll see.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    As intriguing as it is to gossip about a potential Steambox announcement, I really feel that I don't need another computer in my house - I'm reaching a saturation point.

Between the missus and I we have four dedicated computers (including one tablet but excluding consoles and smart phones), and there's a lot of redundancy between them. For example we recently started using the app Evernote to create everything from house-related wishlists to grocery shopping, but to make it fully integrated in the house it had to be installed on six separate things.

If a potential linux Steambox could double as a streaming device for my PC (which will undoubtedly have more horsepower) and a HTPC, then that's a niche it could fill. If it's just a modular computer though, that's not for me. I'll be better off getting a cheap HTPC, spending some money on a NAS and maybe wiring some HDMI through cavity walls if I really want the desktop experience in my family room

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    How is there a Legacy of Kain game without, you know, Legacy of Kain?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    How is there a Legacy of Kain game without, you know, Legacy of Kain?

I would kill and enkindle in a new vampire for a copy of blood omen on gog.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    When they announce the new facebook app with ipad game cross play or some crap I'll blame you people for getting me slightly hyped for a overpriced probably PC I wont even want when it does happen...

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Are you subscribed to the email list of the Indie Royale Bundle? Then go and check your email now. Their 50th bundle, The Golden Jubilee Bundle, is out now and to celebrate it they are giving away 2 copies of the bundle to each subscriber of their email list.
    Look for a message containing the links to the 2 copies of the bundle with the following subject:"Golden Jubilee Bundle with give away keys is launched!"

The bundle includes the following games:
    -Ballads of Reemus: When The Bed Bites (in Steam Greenlight)
    -Star Hammer Tactics (in Steam Greenlight)
    -Akaneiro: Demon Hunters (the key gives you $4.99 worth of in-game items)
    -Bird Assassin (in Steam Greenlight)
    -Amazing Zombie Defense (in Steam Greenlight)
    -Zombie Football Carnage

HiT BiT on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeesh. I've apparently played zero hours of steam games in the past fortnight. I'm sure I played some GTAIV early this week and Alice Madness Returns too.

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    So, had to skip ahead. Steam announcement? I just converted my friend, kinda, to steam. He got skyrim on steam. He said he might check out this thread. Hasn't yet.

Um, Monkey Island on steam? I loved those games. I feel they are missing one of the series though? And, tales, I have that elsewhere, think I can convert keys or something?

Also, pinball, well I haven't been playing.

So, I haven't beaten anything. But I have played duken nukem 3d, skyrim, oblivion lately. So many games to beat. I'm staying out of thread and not entering giveaways. I have to beat stuff first. You still all rock and are classy though.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I really really wanted to like it more than I did, but I felt the exploration elements of the game fell entirely flat for me. I mean, the quality of the game is stellar; that's not even debatable. But for all the "look at this island!" the game was trying to pull off, most places felt hemmed in and small to me. And the "tombs" were... laughable, really. Though the thing that genuinely annoyed me was:
    ALL THESE PEOPLE YOU KNOW ARE DEEEEEEAAAAAAD!
    That got real old.

Great game, just not at all what I was hoping for. I would've honestly preferred something more like the older stuff with distinct, large, well-crafted stages instead of smallish wilderness with teensy side-tombs stuck in here and there.

Really, really dig the new Lara though.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Steam thread. Should I give charity a dollar so that I can have more complicated X spaceship games in my inventory that I'll probably never play? Y/N

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Shout out to @Satanic Jesus (porcelain_cow) for the X bundle. You're awesome.

On a side note, I'm not sure if any of you guys/girls bought the Capsule Computers bundle from Groupees but Cognition Episode 1 & 2 steam keys are up on it. Each of them also comes with a 25% discount on the game, so if I had the money, I could get it for 75% off right now.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    Man, some of the puzzles in Ittle Dew are killer and a big problem is that the game doesn't name any of its rooms or dungeons so that makes it really hard to find walkthroughs for certain rooms.

steam_sig.png

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

Eh, really Lara is the only character who's well-developed* (which is fortunate, considering she's what the game's about), with one person being painfully eyerolling at best, but agreed on the rest. I've had a fair amount of disdain for the Tomb Raider franchise for years, but the redesign piqued my interest, and they delivered. It's just an extremely satisfying title: pretty, polished, fun-to-play, doesn't wear out its welcome without feeling short, establishes Lara as an interesting character and sets her up for future adventure. They can keep all the combat in the sequel, it never grew tiresome for me, but I hope they add more puzzles again because it was pretty spare.

*Aside from the two-minute skip from "oh god killing is horrible" to alpha predator of headshot island etc.

(My main advice for anyone planning to pick it up is that the Mountaineer DLC skin looks badass and as a side benefit makes one part of the game feel less silly.)

s7Imn5J.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Man, some of the puzzles in Ittle Dew are killer and a big problem is that the game doesn't name any of its rooms or dungeons so that makes it really hard to find walkthroughs for certain rooms.

Sounds like Fez. You sort of navigate down branches of the walkthrough that mention landmarks and backtrack hurriedly when you land in the wrong place. :-)

Not that I spoiled much in Fez. At one point I found a secret door, and I knew there was a door, and I glitched through the door, and I thought that was the way you were supposed to do it, but I couldn't repeat the process. Turned out that there was a way easier and more obvious way than glitching...

Frem wrote: »

Sounds like Fez. You sort of navigate down branches of the walkthrough that mention landmarks and backtrack hurriedly when you land in the wrong place. :-)

Not that I spoiled much in Fez. At one point I found a secret door, and I knew there was a door, and I glitched through the door, and I thought that was the way you were supposed to do it, but I couldn't repeat the process. Turned out that there was a way easier and more obvious way than glitching...

Someone needs to make a giant clickable map of Ittle Dew and/or Fez, and you click on where you are, and it shows a video of how to beat the room.

You can have that one for free, internet.

steam_sig.png

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    *pokes his head up from Fallen Enchantress*

Oh hey, it's tomorrow. Huh. Maybe I should, like, sleep or something.

...after one more turn.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Steam thread. Should I give charity a dollar so that I can have more complicated X spaceship games in my inventory that I'll probably never play? Y/N

Y

PS - thanks for the reminder.

steam_sig.png
    I was playing a game recently, can't think of it off top of head, but the order to do things is in particular way. So if you don't do it how the walk through did, you would be lost. And if you only want one small hint, it is rough.

For this, I have found one nice thing Universal Hint System. I used it in the past, and different games may not be as good. I find it is very good at games like, Monkey Island. As in those they are puzzles, and gentle hints before the solution are better IMHO.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    edited September 2013
    Woo, finally a bit of free time to properly catch up with the thread and... gasp... play stuff.

Right, let's fire up these Pinballl shenanigans then.

Ha, soooo, any tips for a complete Pinball beginner?!

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    So, had to skip ahead. Steam announcement? I just converted my friend, kinda, to steam. He got skyrim on steam. He said he might check out this thread. Hasn't yet.

Um, Monkey Island on steam? I loved those games. I feel they are missing one of the series though? And, tales, I have that elsewhere, think I can convert keys or something?

So, I haven't beaten anything. But I have played duken nukem 3d, skyrim, oblivion lately. So many games to beat. I'm staying out of thread and not entering giveaways. I have to beat stuff first. You still all rock and are classy though.

They're actually missing two Monkey Island games

Curse and Escape

Not to bothered by the lack of Escape but I really wish Curse was on Steam, or Gog or anything because it is so hells a pretty

steam_sig.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Pinball still not working is driving me mad. When I do get it working I bet I'll play for 5 minutes and never touch again. The one table I did play made me suprised at how baffled I was at what was going on during the more unique parts.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The Gabecube is finally coming, eh?

BigDes wrote: »
    DyasAlure wrote: »

They're actually missing two Monkey Island games

Curse and Escape

Not to bothered by the lack of Escape but I really wish Curse was on Steam, or Gog or anything because it is so hells a pretty

Yeah, I saw that after the fact. I think I have played and beaten 1, 2, 4, and episode 1 of tales.. I left on episode 2. I should pick it up, but it isn't steam, and that makes me sad. I wish I could transfer it over? It is on gamefly. Originally from a company bought by gamefly.

• rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Ashe wrote: »
    Woo, finally a bit of free time to properly catch up with the thread and... gasp... play stuff.

Learning how to control the ball is probably the most important thing, trapping the ball and aiming your shot is usually a lot better than hitting as soon as it gets near the flippers, also learning when not to hit the ball makes a big difference, you can switch the ball to the other flipper pretty easily a lot of times by just letting it bounce in stead of hitting it

steam_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    The Gabecube is finally coming, eh?

Nominating this for both best and worst post in the Steam thread.

rikdaly wrote: »

Learning how to control the ball is probably the most important thing, trapping the ball and aiming your shot is usually a lot better than hitting as soon as it gets near the flippers, also learning when not to hit the ball makes a big difference, you can switch the ball to the other flipper pretty easily a lot of times by just letting it bounce in stead of hitting it

Thanks!

I only need another 240ish million to get close to you on the Table of Extreme Pinkness.

steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Grabbed Port Royal 3 and Sid Meier's pirates, will try each once on campus lab computers and delete promptly so I don't pull a rip van winkle. Hopefully, I will be a Spaniard in each one.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Okay I've being playing more Bleed. Even on easy this game kicks my ass. I'm so bad at it.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Goddamn, i've been dreaming of Crusader Kings II for a week now.

Getting addicted to it, i think.

• Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Just saw that @viking has increased my Pinball FX tables by one with the gift of the Ms. Splosion Man! Thank you!

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Back from my business trip, what'd I miss?

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    aw back to work in five hours :(

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Also, you'll get a lot out of just banging the ball around to get a feel for the table. Don't worry about points, or what you need to do to get them. After you get a feel for the table, check out the table guide, which will spell out how to work on your score.

And thanks everybody for the well wishes yesterday! I can't even express how good it feels to have the bar over and done with.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    I'd honestly say don't look at the guides, I find things stick in my head a bit better if I've figured it out myself, but you're spot on about just banging the ball about for a bit.. if it flashes there are probably points to be had

steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'd honestly say don't look at the guides, I find things stick in my head a bit better if I've figured it out myself, but you're spot on about just banging the ball about for a bit.. if it flashes there are probably points to be had

The guide is important for learning how to "beat" the table. Also, for a long time I disliked the Blade table, but when I learned it I found it to be fun, easy and forgiving. There are so many easy Extra Balls on that table.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767

Eh, really Lara is the only character who's well-developed* (which is fortunate, considering she's what the game's about), with one person being painfully eyerolling at best, but agreed on the rest. I've had a fair amount of disdain for the Tomb Raider franchise for years, but the redesign piqued my interest, and they delivered. It's just an extremely satisfying title: pretty, polished, fun-to-play, doesn't wear out its welcome without feeling short, establishes Lara as an interesting character and sets her up for future adventure. They can keep all the combat in the sequel, it never grew tiresome for me, but I hope they add more puzzles again because it was pretty spare.

*Aside from the two-minute skip from "oh god killing is horrible" to alpha predator of headshot island etc.

(My main advice for anyone planning to pick it up is that the Mountaineer DLC skin looks badass and as a side benefit makes one part of the game feel less silly.)

On the one hand, yes, it's the one most developed. She's the one that's actually around for like 80% of the time, so the lack of screen time doesn't help the others. And still, between conversation, diaries and the videos you could get a glimpse that they were fully developed characters, with backstories and different levels of relationships between them.
    Alex maybe could've used a bit more development, though. That jump from goofball to badass is barely explained. Even considering the "I kinda like Lara..." diary entry.

The others? Well, they are supporting cast most of the time, and you're alone most of the time.

I just didn't find them lacking for what they were supposed to provide.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Pinball FX2 PSA:

Everyone who is playing PFX2 regularly, make sure your large Steam avatar image is working. Seems broken large avatar images is behind the problem. @rikdaly was helpful in testing this for me. (For those of you friends with him, try restarting steam and trying PFX2 again)

I think steam broke large avatars recently, cause it seems a lot of people have problems with them (myself included) a simple re-upload should fix it.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    I would just like to day that I enjoy beating high scores in Pinball FX 2, but some of you have crazy scores.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
This discussion has been closed.