As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Thursday, September 12, 2013 - Shut Up & Sit Down Season 2, Ep. 19: The Cave

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Thursday, September 12, 2013 - Shut Up & Sit Down Season 2, Ep. 19: The Cave

In this episode Paul and Quinns review the board game The Cave.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    MoronguhlMoronguhl Registered User regular
    This looks super awesome. Maybe just buy both?

• Options
    henebryhenebry Registered User new member
    Great review, and a sharp critique at the end. The problem of scoring: if scoring is difficult, the game ends with everyone filing their taxes (an American reference, I realize); if scoring is easy, everyone knows who's ahead during play, making play feel less open.

• Options
    yakapoeyakapoe Registered User new member
    What I like about these guys is that we're pretty much the same age. Their struggles are my struggles! I might be biased...

• Options
    MerlandeseMerlandese Registered User new member
    I love this show.

Thanks, guys.

• Options
    rainbowhyphenrainbowhyphen Registered User regular
    This is kind of the problem I have with Carcassonne. It's a fantastic game, but the end-game scoring takes just long enough to turn a glorious victory into an "oh, I won. Okay."

Endgame is a notoriously tough spot for design. It's where expectations are the highest and where all the mechanics have to link up and decide who won. It might be better to play The Cave without bothering to figure out who won.

raise-this-arm-to-initiate-revolution.png
  • Options
    ReaverKingReaverKing Registered User regular
    Personally, I'd describe the Cave's ending thusly:

Once the last tile is placed, everyone's got three turns to get back to the base camp or you lose. Whoever is at base-camp steals all the credit for everyone's discoveries and by the time you dig yourself out of the cave they're already on the cover of National Geographic.

Scoring is convoluted and kind of pointless so we'll worry about tie breakers and such at the end just know that deeper is better and that you want as many tokens as possible.