As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Unholy Heights is hitting Steam.

This is the game that combines like tower defense and an apartment sim. Where Satan is your landlord and murderous water elementals are your tenets. It's also super cheap. Like 2 dollars at Playism's site right now.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'd like to add that the water elementals ride around in living bathtubs. It's pretty awesome.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Besides uhh The Last Remnant, are there any good JRPGs for steam? I'm kinda looking for some low-impact RPGs to play while traveling.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Besides uhh The Last Remnant, are there any good JRPGs for steam? I'm kinda looking for some low-impact RPGs to play while traveling.

The PA games are decent JRPG styled games.

Also, check out the Sega collections. There's probably something authentically Japanese in there for you.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Okay, well Legendary is bigger than the other games I mentioned and it WILL take at minimum a few days to download it, since I can't be bogging down my home network with Steam downloads.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Really if I could legitimately play my PS2 with my laptop I would love it. Port more shit onto steam or origin or something.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Unholy Heights is hitting Steam.

This is the game that combines like tower defense and an apartment sim. Where Satan is your landlord and murderous water elementals are your tenets. It's also super cheap. Like 2 dollars at Playism's site right now.

Oh, that does look fun. Bought!

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Curses. it looks like I've been swindled by Peter molyneaux again. Bought into that godus early access because the demos looked cool, but appears to be designed to be a free to play tablet shitfest instead of a good game.

Pity, it appeared to have promise.

In any case, steer clear of it until it's more complete!

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Mighty wrote: »
    Peter molyneaux

steer clear

Condensed to essentials.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Honestly, from what I've seen Godus doesn't look BAD. It just hates your hand, and hates your mouse. Vehemently.

Then again, You're talking to ME, and I'm not a good judge of videogame.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Curses. it looks like I've been swindled by Peter molyneaux again. Bought into that godus early access because the demos looked cool, but appears to be designed to be a free to play tablet shitfest instead of a good game.

Pity, it appeared to have promise.

In any case, steer clear of it until it's more complete!

Oh thank god.

I was this close to buying it.

• Options
    heenato wrote: »
    Honestly, from what I've seen Godus doesn't look BAD. It just hates your hand, and hates your mouse. Vehemently.

Then again, You're talking to ME, and I'm not a good judge of videogame.

The main issue I'm having with it it exactly that. It does look good, but it's a click fest with low payoff.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

I'd say go one further and the entire Zeboyd catalog would fit the bill.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I watched the Quick Look of Godus on Giant Bomb and it seems neat but it just looks like it takes forever to do anything and to get to get to the interesting parts.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Early access, folks

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Early access, folks
    I think the big clicking problem was known BEFORE it came to early access, but still hasn't been changed, so who knows.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Early access, folks

To be honest I'm going to take the hard ass approach on things that go Early Access and don't have much to show for it. It's the same response I had for Interstellar Marines trying to sell itself for the price of two much better games when it has one map and one gun:

If you are on Steam you just got allowed to sell your game on the biggest and most widely viewed digital distribution platform in the world. Even if you have an early access tag you are still charging money and it should still be something worth at least talking about if nothing else.

Look at games like Prison Architect or Planetary Annihilation. They aren't done by a long shot but the second they showed up it was: bang, alpha gameplay with all the core features that make the game engaging.

I get what early access is for, I just also think it definitely shouldn't be used as a shield and that devs should have to post the extent of the current content (which a lot of them do actually).

• Options
    Okay! I have seen the light and now realize what a piece of shit service origin is! origin FORGOT WHAT MY PASSWORD WAS, wouldn't let me log in, then it took me a fucking half hour to get it to actually register a new one.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    Okay! I have seen the light and now realize what a piece of shit service origin is! origin FORGOT WHAT MY PASSWORD WAS, wouldn't let me log in, then it took me a fucking half hour to get it to actually register a new one.

Origin is a wolf in sheep's clothing. It's actually perfectly fine and not that terrible.

Then something breaks and it becomes the worst thing ever.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    My back was turned for a minute - just a minute at most! And that's all it took. @Hit Bit yanked Nights Into Dreams right off my wishlist and put it in my library!

Thank you! :)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Early access, folks

To be honest I'm going to take the hard ass approach on things that go Early Access and don't have much to show for it. It's the same response I had for Interstellar Marines trying to sell itself for the price of two much better games when it has one map and one gun:

If you are on Steam you just got allowed to sell your game on the biggest and most widely viewed digital distribution platform in the world. Even if you have an early access tag you are still charging money and it should still be something worth at least talking about if nothing else.

Look at games like Prison Architect or Planetary Annihilation. They aren't done by a long shot but the second they showed up it was: bang, alpha gameplay with all the core features that make the game engaging.

I get what early access is for, I just also think it definitely shouldn't be used as a shield and that devs should have to post the extent of the current content (which a lot of them do actually).

In my opinion, there are 2 things they could change to make it less bothersome.

1) click and drag over houses to harvest belief.

2) reverse the build commands. I want to be able to click the plots and say "build this!!" And have the peons come out of their abodes to do so. No peons? Release them from the homes and direct them to the activated plot.

This would make it a little more custom, and less mouse user hatey

On another note, do you think steam is going to go all " fall sale" on us, or will it rear its wallet slaying head during Christmas time?

Mighty on
  • Options
    bobwocobobwoco Registered User regular
    Early access, folks

2) reverse the build commands. I want to be able to click the plots and say "build this!!" And have the peons come out of their abodes to do so. No peons? Release them from the homes and direct them to the activated plot.

On another note, do you think steam is going to go all " fall sale" on us, or will it rear its wallet slaying head during Christmas time?

There's probably going to be something around Halloween and/or Black Friday, I think. That's what Valve usually does.

Steam ID: wocobob
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    4 bucks for Roller Coaster Tycoon. That's a pretty good deal for that game, rarely gets discounted that deeply.

• Options
    4 bucks for Roller Coaster Tycoon. That's a pretty good deal for that game, rarely gets discounted that deeply.

Is it any good? I remember liking the older games, and the newer one doesn't look the same

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    One last plug for my Hitman Absolution giveaway! Ends tonight

signature.png

Congrats to Darlan for winning the giveaway! I don't know your forum name, but I've friended you on Steam so I can send you the H:A steam key. Enjoy!
    Thanks a ton @GoodKingJayIII, it looks all manner of fun.
    Edit:
    What the heck, may as well keep things moving in a small way. PA Group only:
    signature.png

Darlan on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The biggest issue I've heard so far with Godus is that it is very, very early access. To the extent that there is barely a game at all there yet.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Also, check out the Sega collections. There's probably something authentically Japanese in there for you.

Ys?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Is it any good? I remember liking the older games, and the newer one doesn't look the same

Yeah, it's a great park builder and being able to ride the rides is a lot of fun.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    All of you people buying Godus instead of Incognita deserve your hands to cramp eternally.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Dang, missed out on Towns.

At least there's winter sale.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    FYI, Gamefly are doing a flash sale on Civ V's new Brave New World expansion.
    Base price is £6.79 (~$8.50) , and there's a 20% off voucher to bring it down to £5.43 (~$7 I think).
    Vouchers appear to be region specific, but I believe GFDSEP20 is the US variant. GFDSEP20UK for the UK

Flash sale link: Brave New World Flash Sale

• Options
    InkSplat wrote: »
    All of you people buying Godus instead of Incognita deserve your hands to cramp eternally.

How good is it? It looks good.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

This reminds me I have another Incognita key... I think I'll do a contest later.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular

The current build is essentially a demo of one mission. The mission in question is procedurally generated however, so it can be played a decent amount. It does not give you a lot of information on how to play or your units, but those of us with it can give you a primer if you want.

The game is pretty fun, with some neat ideas. I've run through the current mission a couple of times and enjoyed myself pretty immensely.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Iblis wrote: »

The current build is essentially a demo of one mission. The mission in question is procedurally generated however, so it can be played a decent amount. It does not give you a lot of information on how to play or your units, but those of us with it can give you a primer if you want.

The game is pretty fun, with some neat ideas. I've run through the current mission a couple of times and enjoyed myself pretty immensely.

Ah, sounds like I should wait a bit on it. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, though.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Early access, folks

The "Click to harvest" thing is a terrible anti-mechanic that tablet and facebook games use to hide the fact that they don't actually have much gameplay. Why not just get the belief directly? It worked for Civilization.

Oh, right. Because then there wouldn't be busy-work for the player.
    Did I just call one of Plants vs. Zombies' primary mechanics an anti-mechanic? Why yes, yes I did. But they way they pulled it off almost makes PvZ an action game, so I forgive them.

They usually do a small horror-themed sale around Halloween, and a much larger one close to Thanksgiving. I'd guess there will be at least one publisher sale between then, also.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    Early access, folks

The "Click to harvest" thing is a terrible anti-mechanic that tablet and facebook games use to hide the fact that they don't actually have much gameplay. Why not just get the belief directly? It worked for Civilization.

Did I just call one of Plants vs. Zombies' primary mechanics an anti-mechanic? Why yes, yes I did. But they way they pulled it off almost makes PvZ an action game, so I forgive them.

Click to harvest is actually super useful in PvZ or any other tower defense game because it allows you to create something for the player to do while the towers and the opposition are doing their thing. It's the same reason alot of modern TD's stuff themselves with player abilities or avatar controls (Prime World: Defenders and Sanctum 2 both do this).

It's hardly worth calling an anti-mechanic, whatever that means, it's a mechanic and can be a useful tool. It's just one you have to use carefully because pretty much it's only use is 'waste players time'.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Early access, folks

Click to harvest is actually super useful in PvZ or any other tower defense game because it allows you to create something for the player to do while the towers and the opposition are doing their thing. It's the same reason alot of modern TD's stuff themselves with player abilities or avatar controls (Prime World: Defenders and Sanctum 2 both do this).

It's hardly worth calling an anti-mechanic, whatever that means, it's a mechanic and can be a useful tool. It's just one you have to use carefully because pretty much it's only use is 'waste players time'.

I think you two are saying the same thing, Frem just thinks that a mechanic that exists solely to waste the player's time is not a good mechanic. Whereas some people think it's important that the player always have something to do and never be forced to wait.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Oh boy, Garshasp might be the game I've most quickly shoved into the "Fuck it, I'm done" Steam category. The game reloaded me from dying at three new and completely different places, regardless of what my last checkpoint was. Then I got spawned outside of a locked gate where I had to kill enemies in an arena battle to progress. I got past that by grabbing an enemy while he was beaten down and teleporting to him to do the kill animation. Now there's a scripting bug and the game can't or won't progress.

edit: Also, I would probably have kept going but the game hard locked on me and then crashed.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Early access, folks

I think you two are saying the same thing, Frem just thinks that a mechanic that exists solely to waste the player's time is not a good mechanic. Whereas some people think it's important that the player always have something to do and never be forced to wait.

Well yeah, just anti-mechanic is a weird phrase.

Also the thought of having a mechanic to waste time like that in a god game seems weird. I haven't played Godus but I should think it'd do well to encourage downtime to be 'look at my fucking kingdom and all the rocks I can throw' rather than pointless busywork.

This discussion has been closed.