As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Also, I could totally use an Incognita primer, since I have no idea how to play it while I'm in the game.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Also, I could totally use an Incognita primer, since I have no idea how to play it while I'm in the game.

If you want to pop over to the Incognita thread, all questions can be answered!

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    So recently like 50 FPS horror games have come out.

If I want to play one while friends watch and scream at me not to go in there, which is the best one for that? Ideally, I'd like to be able to use a gamepad because my little wireless keyboard/mouse isn't super hot for actual games.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    Mighty wrote: »
    Early access, folks

To be honest I'm going to take the hard ass approach on things that go Early Access and don't have much to show for it. It's the same response I had for Interstellar Marines trying to sell itself for the price of two much better games when it has one map and one gun:

If you are on Steam you just got allowed to sell your game on the biggest and most widely viewed digital distribution platform in the world. Even if you have an early access tag you are still charging money and it should still be something worth at least talking about if nothing else.

Look at games like Prison Architect or Planetary Annihilation. They aren't done by a long shot but the second they showed up it was: bang, alpha gameplay with all the core features that make the game engaging.

I get what early access is for, I just also think it definitely shouldn't be used as a shield and that devs should have to post the extent of the current content (which a lot of them do actually).

In my opinion, there are 2 things they could change to make it less bothersome.

1) click and drag over houses to harvest belief.

2) reverse the build commands. I want to be able to click the plots and say "build this!!" And have the peons come out of their abodes to do so. No peons? Release them from the homes and direct them to the activated plot.

This would make it a little more custom, and less mouse user hatey

The "Click to harvest" thing is a terrible anti-mechanic that tablet and facebook games use to hide the fact that they don't actually have much gameplay. Why not just get the belief directly? It worked for Civilization.

Oh, right. Because then there wouldn't be busy-work for the player.
    Did I just call one of Plants vs. Zombies' primary mechanics an anti-mechanic? Why yes, yes I did. But they way they pulled it off almost makes PvZ an action game, so I forgive them.

Click to harvest is actually super useful in PvZ or any other tower defense game because it allows you to create something for the player to do while the towers and the opposition are doing their thing. It's the same reason alot of modern TD's stuff themselves with player abilities or avatar controls (Prime World: Defenders and Sanctum 2 both do this).

It's hardly worth calling an anti-mechanic, whatever that means, it's a mechanic and can be a useful tool. It's just one you have to use carefully because pretty much it's only use is 'waste players time'.

I think you two are saying the same thing, Frem just thinks that a mechanic that exists solely to waste the player's time is not a good mechanic. Whereas some people think it's important that the player always have something to do and never be forced to wait.

Yeah, that's about the sum of it. I tend to want most of my actions in strategy games to be as closely linked to interesting choices as possible. Clicking on a thing to watch a number go up isn't really much of a choice. If other parts of the game were tweaked there would be less downtime that needed to be filled with click-to-harvest. Note that I haven't played Godus; I could be way off here.

I do think PvZ does a good job with click-to-harvest in that the resources produced have an expiration date. You're playing a strategy game, but you're also playing whack-a-mole. Which is fine, because PvZ whack-a-mole is excellent and exciting. Sun is a resource, but the player's time is treated as a secondary resource. Sometimes just can't click fast enough to collect sun and repair your defenses at the same time; you have to make a quick decision on what to do.

I haven't really seen that same sort of choice popping up at all in other click-to-harvest games I've played.

Frem on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    If you want to play one while friends laugh at you while you scream, the first Amnesia is the one to pick.

For a while now I've wanted to do a halloween play session, 1 player plays in a remote room, friends watch on TV and hear the microphone. Still have to decide whether to put the PC player in the same room as the TV watchers or not ... This halloween I'm definitely doing it.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So I got an alert from Steam that RollerCoaster Tycoon was on sale for like 4 bucks today and it was on my wishlist and I was like "Oh that's perfect for part 4 of the 4 minor items I'm getting my wife for her birthday" only I look at my history and I already bought it during the sale for $10 like a chump.

steam_sig.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Early access, folks

To be honest I'm going to take the hard ass approach on things that go Early Access and don't have much to show for it. It's the same response I had for Interstellar Marines trying to sell itself for the price of two much better games when it has one map and one gun:

If you are on Steam you just got allowed to sell your game on the biggest and most widely viewed digital distribution platform in the world. Even if you have an early access tag you are still charging money and it should still be something worth at least talking about if nothing else.

Look at games like Prison Architect or Planetary Annihilation. They aren't done by a long shot but the second they showed up it was: bang, alpha gameplay with all the core features that make the game engaging.

I get what early access is for, I just also think it definitely shouldn't be used as a shield and that devs should have to post the extent of the current content (which a lot of them do actually).

2) reverse the build commands. I want to be able to click the plots and say "build this!!" And have the peons come out of their abodes to do so. No peons? Release them from the homes and direct them to the activated plot.

The "Click to harvest" thing is a terrible anti-mechanic that tablet and facebook games use to hide the fact that they don't actually have much gameplay. Why not just get the belief directly? It worked for Civilization.

Did I just call one of Plants vs. Zombies' primary mechanics an anti-mechanic? Why yes, yes I did. But they way they pulled it off almost makes PvZ an action game, so I forgive them.

Click to harvest is actually super useful in PvZ or any other tower defense game because it allows you to create something for the player to do while the towers and the opposition are doing their thing. It's the same reason alot of modern TD's stuff themselves with player abilities or avatar controls (Prime World: Defenders and Sanctum 2 both do this).

It's hardly worth calling an anti-mechanic, whatever that means, it's a mechanic and can be a useful tool. It's just one you have to use carefully because pretty much it's only use is 'waste players time'.

I think you two are saying the same thing, Frem just thinks that a mechanic that exists solely to waste the player's time is not a good mechanic. Whereas some people think it's important that the player always have something to do and never be forced to wait.

Yeah, that's about the sum of it. I tend to want most of my actions in strategy games to be as closely linked to interesting choices as possible. Clicking on a thing to watch a number go up isn't really much of a choice. If other parts of the game were tweaked there would be less downtime that needed to be filled with click-to-harvest. Note that I haven't played Godus; I could be way off here.

I do think PvZ does a good job with click-to-harvest in that the resources produced have an expiration date. You're playing a strategy game, but you're also playing whack-a-mole. Which is fine, because PvZ whack-a-mole is excellent and exciting. Sun is a resource, but the player's time is treated as a secondary resource. Sometimes just can't click fast enough to collect sun and repair your defenses at the same time; you have to make a quick decision on what to do.

I haven't really seen that same sort of choice popping up at all in other click-to-harvest games I've played.

http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

If I want to play one while friends watch and scream at me not to go in there, which is the best one for that? Ideally, I'd like to be able to use a gamepad because my little wireless keyboard/mouse isn't super hot for actual games.
    Outlast, which came out last month is pretty fun. Especially if you are a huge wimp.

It has full gamepad support.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    @Shadowhope is a dirty enabler, gifting me The old gods, making me play MORE Crusader Kings!

What a monster!

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Early access, folks

You monster.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    1. You guys are the worst.
    2. Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 had better be as much fun as the original was.
    3. You're really the best - thanks for pointing out that it was on sale!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    So there I am, minding my own business, watching the promo video for Incognita. And I say, that looks interesting, containing many things I might enjoy. And @Cardboard Delusions says to me, it has an extra copy promo going on, lets split it.

That's pretty awesome, and nice of him.

Obviously, I wasn't paying attention, because obviously I should have expected he would send me the extra copy, then refuse to let me give over anything for it.

GAH.

Class-related rage (But mate, this looks ace...you are a gent, as always, and thank you, obviously).
    Disclaimer: Pay day is on Friday.

CroakerBC on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    Early access, folks

Do you have any idea why I've been clicking this cookie for the last 5 minutes?

steam_sig.png
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Early access, folks

Couldn't tell ya

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Early access, folks

Going on an hour.

Saving up for the Time Machine. only 77k/sec though, going slow. Might need some more portals. :rotate:

Fuck you all. Shit like this and that candy game are like my own personal mmo-crack condensed into the most refined state.

EDIT: Though, I stopped actually clicking awhile ago. :P

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Early access, folks

Get out while you still can.

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    If you're using chrome, press F12

Click on console, copy paste:

var t = setInterval(function(){ $("#bigCookie").click(); }, 25);

And open up Steam and play buy something else instead.

Alegis on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Man if I could get a Golden Cookie right now, that'd be amazing.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    It makes me laugh when one of us sends each other an invite and we have like 126 bro's in common.

Quoted this because I saw it at the beginning of my journey and it seemed appropriate. I left the thread alone intentionally yesterday to build up a backlog of posts and then waited until I was not on mobile so I could see signatures. Friend invites have been sent to soooo many of you, something I've been meaning to do for months now. Anyone who I've missed please feel free to send one my way.

In other news, been playing a bunch of The Witcher lately. The booze and boobs were really thrust in your face at first but it's settled down a bit now and I'm having fun trying to solve mysteries with a detective. Good times.

steam_sig.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Alegis wrote: »

And open up Steam and play buy something else instead.

Great, now the numbers are going up and I can't take my eyes off of it!

steam_sig.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Besides uhh The Last Remnant, are there any good JRPGs for steam? I'm kinda looking for some low-impact RPGs to play while traveling.

Well, Trails in the Sky and its sequel are coming to steam soonish. Those look good.

And open up Steam and play something else instead.

If you really want to, there's functionality for this built into the game.

Open the console, enter "Game.RuinTheFun()"

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    All of you people buying Godus instead of Incognita deserve your hands to cramp eternally.

What if I'm weak enough to consider both? HUH? WHAT THEN!?!?

camo_sig2.png
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    If anyone is OCD like me and needs a grid icon for Incognita - clicky

edited September 2013

So this is what it feels like to produce a trillion cookies a second waste my life, good to know!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

There never was any fun to find in it to begin with, just some clever manipulation of the human "reward" thought process.

Panda4You on
    Panda4You wrote: »

There never was any fun to find in it to begin with, just some clever manipulation of the human "reward" thought process.

That's what fun is.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Outlast, which came out last month is pretty fun. Especially if you are a huge wimp.

It has full gamepad support.

Dang, that does sound good.

Amnesia is certainly a fun time, but it just doesn't work with friends unless you're all turbo-nerds willing to gather around a desktop. If I want people to just hang out in the living room, it's got to be a controller.

Plus, puzzles in horror games kind of suck out the fun if you're in a group. I mean, not instantly, but when that's the primary obstacle. It's tense if you're alone, frustrating if you're fucking up while other people shout out what they think the solution is.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Saw I still had Galactic Civilization 2: Gold installed, took it for a run. Its installed through impulse so I can't recommend it, so I offer this instead.
    I enter my office and lock the door, ultra spice waits on my desk, but I've grown too resistent to its effects. Harmony crystals don't do a thing. The biggest products of my civilization and I can't use them. In a few weeks time, my people will ascend to godhood, but I am still thinking about those I'm leaving behind. The yor were as alien as you could get. Machines, tools that defied their creators and struck out on their own. From the edge of the galaxy, they obscured our path to the galactic core. But still, they proved to be reliable trade partners. Like clockwork, their ships arrived.

Humanity stayed in the shadows, letting the galaxy bang its heads together while we grew, safe in the galactic arm, a wealth of planets to call home and only a few Iconians stopping in to settle. In time, they abandoned their people and joined our ranks. It was a pretty good life, until one bad dinner.

We sank billions of credits, trillions of man hours, we saw them rise from some hole in the core and tried to be prepared, but all it took was one snippy comment about a bug's mistress and suddenly the Thalan empire is coming for us. The Altarans and Yor stuck to their principals, they honored our alliances. Now, the altarians a passage of the history of the Torian Confederation, a small group of refugees taken in by them. The Yor hold strong, the spatial anomolies hold the bugs to a slow pace, but the machine worlds are few and spread out.

I've sold our fleets to them, for every coin and vote they have. A small price to pay. Paid a lot more to earn a reprieve from the bugs. I wonder, will I still fill this regret as a god? Will I still be haunted by the machine that promised me death, but only gave me friendship?

I pray they don't have souls, then I might not see them again.

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    So the Pac-Man DX demo is up and it's sort of odd.

I don't get any background music or menu music, and only the occasional sound effect. Then mid-game it crashed. Hmm.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Operational Art of War 3, the definitive complex modern military strategy game, which lets you simulate combat from 1908 or so into the near-future, is on sale. As far as I know, this has never happened, as Matrix Games, the publisher, targets a niche of grognards, and sales don't really motivate them. The combination of complexity + small demo often means the really good games are $70 or so, like a moderately priced board wargame. They'll never go to steam, either...

So being able to pick up TOAW 3 at 50% off is a big deal. I have probably put in about 500-1000 hours of play in the damn thing over the various versions since the 90s.

http://matrixgames.com/products/317/details/Norm.Koger's.The.Operational.Art.of.War.III

fwKS7.png?1
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    One last plug for my Hitman Absolution giveaway! Ends tonight

signature.png

Congrats to Darlan for winning the giveaway! I don't know your forum name, but I've friended you on Steam so I can send you the H:A steam key. Enjoy!
    Thanks a ton @GoodKingJayIII, it looks all manner of fun.
    Edit:
    What the heck, may as well keep things moving in a small way. PA Group only:
    signature.png

If anyone is interested in this game, I still have a Steam gift Pre-order edition (including bonus lightsaber fusion sword). Just send me a PM!

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    So the Pac-Man DX demo is up and it's sort of odd.

I don't get any background music or menu music, and only the occasional sound effect. Then mid-game it crashed. Hmm.

That's not very Pac Man CE DX of that demo at all!

steam_sig.png

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Only problem I've had with the Pac Man CE DX demo is that it's a demo and not the full game.

Looks like I might have spent an hour on a demo with a two minute time limit.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

That's what fun is.

Zynga_unleashed.jpg

s7Imn5J.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    All I know is I'm over 6 billion cookies a second and it's not enough.

It's never enough for them... they just want more...

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    You're ruining the illusion of fun for the rest of us!

steam_sig.png

Hey, so I played a bit of Rogue Legacy on an acquaintance's computer, and it was the DRM free version from GoG. I own the game on Steam. Is there a way to transfer my save over, or should I just start over?

steam_sig.png

edited September 2013
    Hey, so I played a bit of Rogue Legacy on an acquaintance's computer, and it was the DRM free version from GoG. I own the game on Steam. Is there a way to transfer my save over, or should I just start over?

The save file is located here, so somehow transfer what ever is stored there from your mates computer to your own and you're done

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Early access, folks

You monster.

Why would anyone do this to people.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.