As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thread for Excellent Comedies on TV! [NBC comedies, also for other network shows]

• BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    It's definitely the best of The New Millenium. Definitely. Scientifically. But all-time I think it's in a three way shoot-out with Cheers and Seinfeld. Maybe MASH is trying to poke their nose in there too. I don't know, I'm not a (real) doctor.

... it is good comfort food.

For me that's Parks & Rec. Half of the characters aren't even very funny and the writing is often ropey but it's so damn loveable I watch it every week.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I disagree pretty strongly with the idea that 30 Rock is the best american sitcom of any time frame, even though I think it's pretty good

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    30 rock is probably the best american sitcom

Ehh... In my mind its great but not the best.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    in fact I would go so far as to claim that 30 Rock was never even the best sitcom on NBC Thursdays

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    It would take a lot for a sitcom to come knocking against something like Seinfeld or Frasier for me.

Parks & Rec is almost there, I just need to see how they end the series.

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    parks and rec is my main contender

but i've only seen two episodes of seinfeld

lfYVHTd.png
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    two episodes that i really really liked

lfYVHTd.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yeah, Parks and Rec is actually my favourite sitcom in recent years (Frasier being all-time).

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Are we talking about the Emmy's anywhere?

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Buster won an Emmy!

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Robin Williams is old

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Best sitcom of the millennium to date is probably arrested development for me with parks as a close second

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Instead we got Julia-Louis Dreyfus and Tony Hale doing an onstage bit

So it's a wash

6F32U1X.png
    Maaaan, Jim Parsons

I wanted AD to win something

I mean Bateman's best stuff this season was probably more dramatic than comedic

But it was still good acting in a comedy show

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    quick everyone give Modern Family all the Emmys

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    wait

Modern Family's lost all the acting Emmys so far

go Academy go come to your damn senses

That's literally what I was watching for

Shame to have both Horrible and Hammer and not make a reference though.

My father pretested this year's Emmy broadcast as they didn't include Jack Klugman in their in memoriam segment.

Zonugal wrote: »
    My father pretested this year's Emmy broadcast as they didn't include Jack Klugman in their in memoriam segment.

But they...did?

6F32U1X.png
    at least they gave season two of the office an emmy (because that might be my favorite sitcom season of all time and the only thing that comes close to touching it was season three of the office)

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    oh shit i forgot about the office

the office is a firm contender for best american sitcom

• existexist Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

But they...did?

The controversy comes from that they did not honor him in an individual tribute, like how they did with James Gandolfhini and stuff. And also that Cory Monteith got his own tribute and not Klugman.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
    season seven of the office is a contender for worst sitcom season ever, though

putting andy in as the lead of the show was a spectacularly poor decision

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    the office is a firm contender for best british sitcom

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    the office is a firm contender for best british sitcom

the office has the curious distinction of being both

mind you i stopped watching about season six, impressed that they had managed to come up with new storylines for as long as they had but totally aware that there was no way they could keep it going any further

• Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    My favorite sitcom ever is probably Community, despite the dreadful 4th season and meh 3rd season.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    There have been good episodes since season 3 of the office, really good ones

But I feel like Jim asking Pam out on a date would've been the best note to end the show on

edited September 2013
    S2 and 3 of The US Office were incredible - about as good as half-hour comedy gets - and especially incredible after the horrendous misfire of S1. Even the first half of S4 is mostly pretty damn superb.

What's great about Parks and Rec is that it's been steadily improving season by season. Most shows seem to peak early (S2-S3 or 4) and then the quality dies off. Parks and Rec was fairly patchy but quietly increasingly promising for three seasons, got solid in the fourth and the fifth was gold.

Mr. G wrote: »
    Instead we got Julia-Louis Dreyfus and Tony Hale doing an onstage bit

Best moment of the night. JLD is just stupendously great on that show and her on-screen relationship with Hale is literally magical and the way they ran that bit was nothing short of perfection.

Bucho on
    edited September 2013
    Litrully.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1fUySa9FroPAji4CxCqewrCgg5YbabZLkZD7D2XWs_rftLZqtfw

Bucho on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    AV Club: Ken Jeong gets his own NBC show about Ken Jeong
    For those who have watched Ken Jeong become a focus-stealing presence on Community and in The Hangover films and said, “Yes, more of that, please,” NBC has the show for you. It’s ordered the multi-camera sitcom Dr. Ken, a comedy based on Jeong’s pre-television life as a physician—a life that became increasingly, comically difficult because it had Ken Jeong in it. Every day Dr. Ken Jeong would just try to go about the serious business of practicing medicine, only to have Ken Jeong show up and start causing problems. “Damn you and your shameless, occasionally stereotype-based antics!” Dr. Ken Jeong would yell at Ken Jeong while tossing aside his clipboard, and now that’s a TV show.

chang should have been written off community three seasons ago

6F32U1X.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    AV Club: Ken Jeong gets his own NBC show about Ken Jeong
    For those who have watched Ken Jeong become a focus-stealing presence on Community and in The Hangover films and said, “Yes, more of that, please,” NBC has the show for you. It’s ordered the multi-camera sitcom Dr. Ken, a comedy based on Jeong’s pre-television life as a physician—a life that became increasingly, comically difficult because it had Ken Jeong in it. Every day Dr. Ken Jeong would just try to go about the serious business of practicing medicine, only to have Ken Jeong show up and start causing problems. “Damn you and your shameless, occasionally stereotype-based antics!” Dr. Ken Jeong would yell at Ken Jeong while tossing aside his clipboard, and now that’s a TV show.

Ugh of course NBC is doing this

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    I know that blurb is sarcastic, but it kinda makes me want to see the show

mkc.png
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    To be fair, I find Ken Jeong's life as a fully licensed therapist at least modestly interesting, especially in the period where he was simultaneously a doctor and "that guy from that movie"

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I don't think he's a therapist, I thought he was a general practitioner

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Dang, that is what I meant, I don't know why I wrote therapist

I meant doctor

Dex Dynamo on
    I love any story about Ken Jeong being asked to help out in a medical capacity on the set of Community.

Just Ken Jeong, dressed up in some crazy outfit, helping someone not die.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Oh wow, the ending to 'TGS Hates Women' throws dark.

This discussion has been closed.