As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Haswell? More like Has...damnit, I had something for this...

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Well, I guess I could try but the one I have now has 585w! More watts is better right?

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    F87 wrote: »

It's a wash, so totally your call. I'm a personal fan of Samsung so I'm using two 840 non-Pro SSDs.

And going forward, I would not pull the trigger on any SSD in the future that isn't $0.70/GB or cheaper. Expect a slew of sales as we get closer to the US Holidays.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    it has 585 watts yes. but most of that power is on the 3 and 5 rails. Which was a good thing like 20 years ago, when that psu was designed. compared to a modern psu its more like you have a 350w model

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Alright, I see.

I think I will wait until I can save up some more and try to get a power supply with my upgrades.

• iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Heres what I'd do if I were you.

1) PSU
    2) SSD
    3) GPU

The PSU can be carried over to a new build down the road, the SSD as well. The GPU can be picked up down the road and what the inital leaks of HI Islands is showing you may see a drop in the 7xx cards soon.

That or just wait till black friday.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    LGA 775 HSFs.

Everyone says go for the 212. Is it still the best/most common cooler in its price class?

My idle/load temps are decent, but I'm thinking of doing some overclocking in the future.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I can't agree more with everyone saying to get a good PSU. On my last build I got a OCZ since it was cheaper than Corsair. After my upgrades the OCZ died within 2 weeks and I ended up getting a Corsair anyway, would have been better to spend the extra $$ back then.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    This is some awesome advice, thanks guys.

I'm going to slow down and try to be patient so I can build something that will last me a while.

I downloaded a program to check my CPU temperature and it sits around 79 degrees Celsius. Is that normal? My computer is so loud, it's like a jet engine.

• ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I can second the PSU thing. Invest in that, as it will last you the longest if you do it right.

I'm actually looking for a new one myself, I have 750TX from Corsair and it works great but I wanted something fully modular. Can anyone recommend the RM series at 750 or 850 from Corsair?

Also, I want to get an SSD but I don't think I can afford enough space for my games, just a C drive for the OS. If I use it just for my OS and keep my games on a HDD will there be any improvement worthwhile?

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

I'm going to slow down and try to be patient so I can build something that will last me a while.

I downloaded a program to check my CPU temperature and it sits around 79 degrees Celsius. Is that normal? My computer is so loud, it's like a jet engine.

Get in there with a can of air and clean out the heatsink. Do you have the stock heatsink? If you are looking to quiet things down you can always get a bigger aftermarket heatsink that will be less noisy.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2013
    LGA 775 HSFs.

Everyone says go for the 212. Is it still the best/most common cooler in its price class?

My idle/load temps are decent, but I'm thinking of doing some overclocking in the future.

The Hyper 212 Plus is $20 after rebate at Newegg right now. For that price, nothing else compares.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Get in there with a can of air and clean out the heatsink. Do you have the stock heatsink? If you are looking to quiet things down you can always get a bigger aftermarket heatsink that will be less noisy.

Yeah, I'm just using the stock heatsink. It's been almost 3 years I think, could the thermal paste I put on be running out?

And I'm definitely looking to make my computer less noisy. I can hear it from any room in the house.

The thermal material doesn't degrade over time, except in extreme cases. Also, I would not be surprised if it's actually your video card's fan making the noise and not your CPU fan.

Yeah, I'm just using the stock heatsink. It's been almost 3 years I think, could the thermal paste I put on be running out?

And I'm definitely looking to make my computer less noisy. I can hear it from any room in the house.

So what I'm hearing is you want to scrap the entire thing and build an entire new rig from the ground up.

840 EVO 250GB for $165 ($0.66 / GB) www.thewirecutter.com

It's sold by an eBay store but still a fantastic deal.

Well, I guess I could try but the one I have now has 585w! More watts is better right?

This says it will probably trip at 430W so yeah, you need a new power supply.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, damnit. I guess I will keep saving and plan out an entire new rig. I wonder if I could build a better system than I have now for ~$800?

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I spent roughly ~$700 on my upgrades, only kept my case and hard drives in the end. You could easily keep it at $800 if you reuse parts.
    1GB 7850
    8GB Corsair memory
    Gigabyte Z77 motherboard
    i5 3450 CPU
    Corsair 750TX PSU(I think)

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, damnit. I guess I will keep saving and plan out an entire new rig. I wonder if I could build a better system than I have now for ~$800?

You live near a microcenter?

iRevert on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

It's a wash, so totally your call. I'm a personal fan of Samsung so I'm using two 840 non-Pro SSDs.

And going forward, I would not pull the trigger on any SSD in the future that isn't $0.70/GB or cheaper. Expect a slew of sales as we get closer to the US Holidays.

It might be a pure performance wash, but based on other factors like reliability and stability, the Samsung is by far the better bet. Anything with an SS-2281 inside just isn't worth the potential (BSODs) and guaranteed (borderline nonfunctional TRIM) troubles, however cheap it is.

You live near a microcenter?

Closest one is 180 miles away. :(

My 30 second toss together

Thanks, @iRevert! I think that's what I will get in a week or so. Along with a 120g SSD.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    My computer is so loud, it's like a jet engine.
    To build a quiet computer, you really have to build the whole computer with noise levels in mind. Let me take you through what I ended up doing.

Seasonic X-750 PSU, which runs fanless up to about 300 watts, and has a 16 dB quiet mode up to 500 watts.
    Noctua CP12 SE14 CPU cooler, a variable speed 140mm fan cooler that's as quiet as 10 dB and only as loud as 19 dB.
    Fractal Designed Mini mATX case, which has sound proofing, a bottom mounted PSU (so no heat from the PSU vents inside the case), and a straight path air flow (the best way to cool, thus allowing your fans to run slower).
    An extra Fractal 120mm case fan, to have positive air pressure for maximum cooling (2 fans inflow, 1 fan outflow), so the fans can run slower/quieter most of the time, typically a mere 12 dB.
    ASUS 650 Ti Boost 2gb GPU, which has been rated as being very quiet and uses less than 150 watts, which allows my PSU to run in quiet mode, even when the GPU is going all out.
    Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD, a low power SSD (less than 1 watt), that's large enough for my day to day software, so I rarely need to spin up my raid drives. In fact, my WD Red raid 1 HDs make the most noise, by far, in my entire set up.

Note that normal breathing is 10 dB and a whisper is about 20 dB, so under most situations, my computer is as quiet as normal breathing, and even under extreme conditions, it only gets as loud as a whisper.

Now then, as for the contention that the GTX 760 is significantly better than the 650 Ti Boost, here's the Tom's Hardware review on both, for one of the games I play: Borderlands 2. Before someone points out that the two comparisons were performed under different conditions, the GTX 660 is on both charts, so you can extrapolate the 650 Ti Boost's performance against the 760's.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-boost-gk106-benchmark,3463-3.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-760-review-gk104,3542-11.html
    My 2 gb 650 Ti Boost was a recent upgrade (over the summer), so the 760 was on my upgrade list, but the performance differences looked too small (about a 14% difference) to notice in real life. So I kept the $100 difference for a future 4 gb GPU.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Or just get some headphones and music. :P

Thanks, @iRevert! I think that's what I will get in a week or so. Along with a 120g SSD.

I left one thing off the build list and that was an aftermarket CPU cooler so budget like $30 for a 212+ and I would shop around for other Mobos.

You will NOT need Sata cables because the mobo comes with them, you will still need a SSD sled unless you get one that comes with it

edited September 2013
    I'm trying to cover all my bases here, but I can't get it below 700 without feeling like I'm skimping on parts and will regret it later on.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.20 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H87 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.86 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Other: BYTECC Bracket-35225 2.5 Inch HDD/SSD Mounting Kit For 3.5" Drive Bay or Enclosure ($5.99)
    Total: $745.00
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-23 19:42 EDT-0400)

All of this will go in my current case, after I dust it out. It's a good case, just needs a good cleaning. And I will be using my 250g HDD for backup storage. Also will be using my 8gigs ddr3 ram.

It may be next monday at the earliest that I will be able to order. So I appreciate any more advice in the meantime.

F87 on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    I've been thinking of getting a new hsf (212 probably) but now that I have my computer and monitor on my desk it feels like so much effort

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    edited September 2013
    I'm trying to cover all my bases here, but I can't get it below 700 without feeling like I'm skimping on parts and will regret it later on.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.20 @ Outlet PC)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Other: BYTECC Bracket-35225 2.5 Inch HDD/SSD Mounting Kit For 3.5" Drive Bay or Enclosure ($5.99)

All of this will go in my current case, after I dust it out. It's a good case, just needs a good cleaning. And I will be using my 250g HDD for backup storage. Also will be using my 8gigs ddr3 ram.

It may be next monday at the earliest that I will be able to order. So I appreciate any more advice in the meantime.

The 212+ comes with TIM so you don't need any Silver5 really unless you want to use that instead, the mobo might not be able to overclock as the H87s aren't meant to do so. If yo don't plan on overclocking you can drop the processor down to a non-k model and save some cash.

Also you NEED to measure your case before you order that card to make sure it fits or else you might be taking a dremel to the HD cage to trim it out.

iRevert on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    LGA 775 HSFs.

The Hyper 212 Plus is $20 after rebate at Newegg right now. For that price, nothing else compares.

Wonderful.

The 212+ comes with TIM so you don't need any Silver5 really unless you want to use that instead, the mobo might not be able to overclock as the H87s aren't meant to do so. If yo don't plan on overclocking you can drop the processor down to a non-k model and save some cash.

Also you NEED to measure your case before you order that card to make sure it fits or else you might be taking a dremel to the HD cage to trim it out.

I would like to scrounge up enough for a new case too, would you have any recommendations on one that could house that card? And could you recommend a better motherboard?

edited September 2013

I would like to scrounge up enough for a new case too, would you have any recommendations on one that could house that card? And could you recommend a better motherboard?

It's just the H87 part some boards can overclock but most don't so you need to do your research, Z87 boards are made to be overclockers so I'd take a looky-loo at those.

As for cases my recommendations aren't the best as I like pretty things...like
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119260
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139007
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345001

You obviously can get a case that fits it for sub $100 pricing but I haven't looked into it.

iRevert on
    Anyone have an opinion on the best monitor for $100? Other than being flat and able to display the VGA signal no requirements.

edited September 2013
    What rez do you use and/or plan to use?

iRevert on
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    There are short 760 cards, like the ASUS 2gb GTX 760 at 8.6", short enough to fit in nearly all cases. You should be able to find it for about $250.

That said, I'm definitely of the opinion that you could skimp on the 760 and get a 660 or even cheaper, a 650 Ti Boost, and be just fine. You really won't notice the 14% performance drop from the 760 to a 2gb 650 Ti Boost.

The difference in price could get you a good case, like the Fractal Design R4 ATX case for about $110 (plus another $10 for a third 120mm fan). Once you've owned a quiet computer, you'll never go back to a loud one. Plus, it's much easier to build a new computer without ripping your old one completely apart.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
    edited September 2013
    What rez do you use and/or plan to use?

It's for my mother, so as I said, no requirements pretty much. It could be 800X600, but mainly just looking for quality here. Edit: Oh, and 17" or bigger I've been informed. But that's it.

Xeddicus on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I'm speccing out a new machine now, would it be worth it to go for 2x8 GB of ram versus 2x4? Is there any indication that I'm going to need all 32 GB that my motherboard will support? My current machine is still on windows xp with 3 GB, so I'm pretty out of the loop in terms of expectations. My machine will mostly be for gaming, but I'll probably do some coding and video editing on it.

sig.gif
    edited September 2013
    Need 32? Nope. Use 16? Maybe. Unless you're doing some heavy video editing, I guess. I'm unfamiliar on the ceiling for that, but probably isn't one...?

Xeddicus on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I do a lot of mobile programming on my recently built LGA2011 based system and even with 7-8 VM's w/ maxed out RAM each and using several flavors of Android I only wind up using around 14 of my 32GB of RAM.

I've taken to using 10GB of the excess as a RAMCache for my 2TB Caviar Black storage drive (480GB Crucial M500 SSD is my OS/primary drive). It definitely helps make up some of the performance gap between the 2.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The standard advice is go with 2x4, in part because RAM upgrades are about the easiest you can do. If you find yourself limited by it, you can spend the extra money and add the RAM with no problem. As of right now, I'm not aware of any game that really uses more than 4gb RAM.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
This discussion has been closed.