As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I must thank whoever did that great little review of Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken.

I immediately redeemed it when it was added to the latest humble bundle and had a fun romp with it.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    @Malakaius has initiated contact, initial analysis suggests strategic gamebank expansion through Arma Tactics.
    Observation; Potential force multiplication factors high, engage with caution. Situation must be contained before Operation Considerate Reprisal is initiated.

Classified information follows; For Official Use Only
    Thanks for Arma Tactics, Mal!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Ok, Newell, bring it. I am ready.

• Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    One minute to go

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Newell, you bastard!

The sun got a little bigger.

*edit* Oh, you can click the first circle. STEAMOS

Houn on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Well, that's one way to make Linux the future of gaming...

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Is there nothing the newell does not want to take over???

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    For those of us stuck at work and blocked from steam news/website/etc, how about some info/details. ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Woah

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    SteamOS sounds fantastic. I'm pretty excited by this!

• Options
    So, we finally have the answer to "But Gabe, how you gonna get all those games on the Linux?"
    In-home Streaming

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

Answer: We're not.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    so i am asusming steamos will be able to stream/play media content

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So let me see if this is correct...

I have an unusused laptop. Assuming it's strong enough I could install SteamOS on it (it's already running Ubuntu), hook up my wireless 360 pads, plug it into HDMI on the living room TV and be good to go to play all my basement games upstairs?

Do I have to wait till next year for this? Because I'm ready now...

Oh - and yay for them finally adding family/kid controls, it's about time.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Linux-based OS designed for living room machines, huh?

I guess streaming is one way to get around the "what about games that don't work on Linux" issue.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    They're not gonna gimp Steam/steam games if they aren't on this SteamOS, right?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Luchaire wrote: »
    For those of us stuck at work and blocked from steam news/website/etc, how about some info/details. ;)

Here's a full, probably ugly text dump:

Thousands of games, millions of users. Everything you love about Steam.
    Available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room.
    Steam is coming to a new operating system

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the
    environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.
    SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
    It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.
    Living room & Steam

Finally, you don’t have to give up your favorite games, your online friends, and all the Steam features you love just to play on the big screen. SteamOS, running on any living room machine, will provide access to the best games and user-generated content available.
    Fast forward

In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing, and we’re now targeting audio performance and reductions in input latency at the operating system level. Game developers are already taking advantage of these gains as they target SteamOS for their new releases.
    Cooperating system

Steam is not a one-way content broadcast channel, it’s a collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform, in which each participant is a multiplier of the experience for everyone else. With SteamOS, “openness” means that the hardware industry can iterate in the living room at a much faster pace than they’ve been able to. Content creators can connect directly to their customers. Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want. Gamers are empowered to join in the creation of the games they love. SteamOS will continue to evolve, but will remain an environment designed to foster these kinds of innovation.
    Four new Steam features focused on the living room.

Available soon in both SteamOS and the Steam client.
    In-home Streaming

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!
    Music, TV, Movies

We’re working with many of the media services you know and love. Soon we will begin bringing them online, allowing you to access your favorite music and video with Steam and SteamOS.
    Family Sharing

In the past, sharing Steam games with your family members was hard. Now you can share the games you love with the people you love. Family Sharing allows you to take turns playing one another’s games while earning your own Steam achievements and saving your individual game progress to the Steam cloud.
    Family Options

The living-room is family territory. That’s great, but you don’t want to see your parents’ games in your library. Soon, families will have more control over what titles get seen by whom, and more features to allow everyone in the house to get the most out of their Steam libraries.

At the core of SteamOS is everything you already love about Steam.
    All the games you love

Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014. Access the full Steam catalog of over nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming.
    Over 50 million friends

Steam users are what makes gaming on Steam fun. Meet new people, join game groups, form clans, chat in-game and dive into Game Hubs, the center of activity for all your favorite games.
    Workshop

The creative energy of Steam users takes shape in the Workshop - your one-stop shop for the best add-ons available. Here you can create, discover, and download a nearly endless supply of top-quality user-created content.
    A cross-platform cloud

Seamless content delivery, storage you don’t have to think about and automatic updates to everything. Switch machines and pick up your game where you left off, and don’t worry about saving your preferences. It’s all in the Steam Cloud.
    Constantly evolving

Steam itself has been a constantly evolving service since its debut in 2003. SteamOS will continue to deliver not only valuable game updates directly from content makers, but also regular additions and new features to the OS itself.
    Worldwide

Steam is in 185 countries and has been translated into 25 languages. As a truly global platform, Steam, and now SteamOS, brings entertainment to an audience without borders.
    Downloadable soon. Free forever!

SteamOS will be available soon as a free download for users and as a freely licensable operating system for manufacturers. Stay tuned in the coming days for more information.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    So, this is O

[O ] is presumably the Steambox or whatever (a box with SteamOS inside)

What's O+O?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    They're not gonna gimp Steam/steam games if they aren't on this SteamOS, right?

I don't see why they would.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    This is pretty nice for games that I can use a controller with. I even have a "junk" tower I can install this on and play with.

sig.gif
  • Options
    So, this is O

What's O+O?

Steambox with SteamOS on it.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I'm unclear. What does this install onto? Your TV? Is it for SetTop boxes? Are games installed and run locally, or is it a streaming service type deal? What about non-steam games?

I can tell you right now I have no attachment to windows really. It's alllll about the video games for me on my PC. So if this is a PC Operating System as well, designed from the ground up to play video games (and actually gives me a performance increase), it sounds pretty neat, and is something I would certainly consider.

• Options
    An interesting note:
    Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014.

Valve game announcements, or Valve moneyhatting devs to produce Linux ports?

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    So, this is O

What's O+O?

Steambox with SteamOS on it.

Nah. What of it? That wouldn't warrant a reveal.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    I wonder if the media services means they are working with Netflix to actually get it officially up on Linux?

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Liberating PC gaming entirely from Windows and the whole external/internal PC monolith foundation can only be a good thing. Take the usual PC budget, split it between a basic laptop for work and Office and a Steambox connected to a TV screen.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    An interesting note:
    Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014.

Who knows. But a good AAA push is something that any new platform could use.

• Options
    HH AustereHH Austere Registered User regular
    What does SteamOS offer for someone in a studio apartment with an HTPC (of gaming quality) already hooked up to the TV?

• Options
    I'm unclear. What does this install onto? Your TV? Is it for SetTop boxes? Are games installed and run locally, or is it a streaming service type deal? What about non-steam games?

I can tell you right now I have no attachment to windows really. It's alllll about the video games for me on my PC. So if this is a PC Operating System as well, designed from the ground up to play video games (and actually gives me a performance increase), it sounds pretty neat, and is something I would certainly consider.

It's an OS so you install it to a computer. Seems you can install this to any old computer and have it up and running. The next announcement in 48 hours should tell us about the Steambox.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    If SteamOS can stream Netflix, it will replace Windows on my HTPC.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    subedii wrote: »
    An interesting note:

If they can somehow prove it's harder to pirate on SteamOS than Windows or cheaper to developer for than Windows in some way you might not have to work very hard to do this. It'll be interesting to see if this can somehow bring EA back on board a bit.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I wonder if the media services means they are working with Netflix to actually get it officially up on Linux?

probably netflix, hulu and twitch at the very least

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I think the important news from this announcement is that I now have 10 Antimatter COndensers in Cookie Clicker and I hate the goose who linked that game. Also something something steamOS.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    HH Austere wrote: »
    What does SteamOS offer for someone in a studio apartment with an HTPC (of gaming quality) already hooked up to the TV?

Possibly better performance for games that support it natively.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Liberating PC gaming entirely from Windows and the whole external/internal PC monolith foundation can only be a good thing. Take the usual PC budget, split it between a basic laptop for work and Office and a Steambox connected to a TV screen.

The problem for me is I find anything but a desk to be incredibly uncomfortable with KBAM which is my preferred input for video games (outside maybe action and sports games).

• Options
    HH Austere wrote: »

Well the OS is open so they tell you right there.
    Steam is not a one-way content broadcast channel, it’s a collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform, in which each participant is a multiplier of the experience for everyone else. With SteamOS, “openness” means that the hardware industry can iterate in the living room at a much faster pace than they’ve been able to. Content creators can connect directly to their customers. Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want. Gamers are empowered to join in the creation of the games they love. SteamOS will continue to evolve, but will remain an environment designed to foster these kinds of innovation.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    They're really doing SteamOS. I guess the next countdown is the Steambox. It's the first symbol in a box.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    An interesting note:

If they can somehow prove it's harder to pirate on SteamOS than Windows or cheaper to developer for than Windows in some way you might not have to work very hard to do this. It'll be interesting to see if this can somehow bring EA back on board a bit.

"Coming soon from EA: ORIGIN(al), the new OS built By Gamers, For Gamers(tm)"

• Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Wait, so can this announcment be of some use to someone who don't use his TV to play games? Do this means that Valve is developing new, Linux-based, gaming OS and will encourage developers to develop/port games on SteamOS?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    An interesting note:

"Coming soon from EA: ORIGIN(al), the new OS built By Gamers, For Gamers(tm)"

"Due to how the ORIGIN(al) box has to connect to EA servers at all times to provide the best possible user experience, included in the console box is a tiny nuclear reactor so that it never has to worry about loss of power disrupting connections."

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
This discussion has been closed.