As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    TBH it looks like its just a streaming device, atm. I don't think it can actually run games.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Redthirst wrote: »
    Wait, so can this announcment be of some use to someone who don't use his TV to play games? Do this means that Valve is developing new, Linux-based, gaming OS and will encourage developers to develop/port games on SteamOS?

Yes it does mean that.

• RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Wait, so can this announcment be of some use to someone who don't use his TV to play games? Do this means that Valve is developing new, Linux-based, gaming OS and will encourage developers to develop/port games on SteamOS?

Yes it does mean that.
    Holy shit. I will abandon Windows the moment it SteamOS can handle my favorite games(which is just a few of them, actually).

steam_sig.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I have, at least 5 times in the last month, thought to myself 'I really wish there was an easy way to stream onlive-style from my gaming pc in my office to the tv in my living room'.

Super excited for this.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I wonder how soon "Soon" is? I mean, could this launch this year and the Steambox be the 2014 thing?

Yeah it's easily the most exciting thing about this announcement. If they get Wine working in it and I can play all of my Steam games in this open source, OS then I will be a happy, happy man.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    SteamOS sure sounds nifty, but I use my gaming PC to do other things that I sorta still need Windows for. Like um...video editing. And running an internet browser that isn't terrible, like Steam's is.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Several bundles at the Indie Gala website:

http://store.indiegala.com/index.php/bundles.html

The Fireburst Bundle
    Pay $0.99 and you get:
    -Vegas Make It Big (Steam)
    -Zombie Pirates (Steam)

Pay more than $1.99 to unlock:
    -Fireburst (Steam)

The Disciples Bundle
    Pay $0.99 and you get:
    -Disciples III: Renaissance Steam Special Edition (Steam)

Pay more than $4.99 to unlock:
    -Disciples III Resurrection (Steam)

The Tropico Bundle
    Pay $0.99 and you get:
    -Tropico Reloaded (Steam)

-Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition (Steam)
    -Tropico 4 Steam Special Edition (Steam)

The Helldorado Bundle
    Pay $0.99 and you get:
    -The Rockin' Dead (DRM Free)
    -Airline Tycoon Deluxe (DRM Free)

-Grand Ages Rome (Steam)
    -Cargo! The Quest For Gravity (Steam)
    -Helldorado (Steam)

And the best for last:

The Flat Rats Bundle
    Pay $0.99 and you get:
    -Bad Rats the Rat's Revenge (Steam)
    -FlatOut (Steam)

-Space Empires IV Deluxe (Steam)
    -Puzzle Kingdoms (Steam)
    -Razor2 Hidden Skies (Steam

HiT BiT on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular

I'm sure that's their hope. I dunno how successful it'll be, but that's the goal.

Of course, most of everything in your Steam library right now is probably not Linux compatible, and isn't going to get a port. So no one should be ditching their primary Windows Gaming PC for this; think of it as a supplement for people who also want to build a second PC to game on the TV sometimes.

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Sounds cool! I guess the big question now is whether this streaming-from-your-pc business will be able to be processed by a cheap dongle thing and/or previously existing devices like Roku boxes/consoles, or if we'll need to buy a proper new PC in the form of a Steambox for it.

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    TBH it looks like its just a streaming device, atm. I don't think it can actually run games.

It's a Steam OS based on Linux and there are hundreds Linux games on Steam already. Why wouldn't it be able to run games? That wouldn't make any sense.

camo_sig2.png
    SteamOS sure sounds nifty, but I use my gaming PC to do other things that I sorta still need Windows for. Like um...video editing. And running an internet browser that isn't terrible, like Steam's is.

It's going to be Linux based. So you can install any browser you want. And I'm sure there are linux-based video editing software.

Big Classy wrote: »
    I think the important news from this announcement is that I now have 10 Antimatter COndensers in Cookie Clicker and I hate the goose who linked that game. Also something something steamOS.

I have 29. I produce 350 million cookies per second. Pick it up, Isy.

Oh man, I just purchased One Mind. Shit's about to get real.

Steam is not a one-way content broadcast channel, it’s a collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform, in which each participant is a multiplier of the experience for everyone else. With SteamOS, “openness” means that the hardware industry can iterate in the living room at a much faster pace than they’ve been able to. Content creators can connect directly to their customers. Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want. Gamers are empowered to join in the creation of the games they love. SteamOS will continue to evolve, but will remain an environment designed to foster these kinds of innovation.

Doesn't sound like that to me.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    The lines about "achievements in graphics processing" or whatever and "letting the hardware industry iterate faster" seem to suggest it's doing more than just streaming games from another machine.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

I'm sure that's their hope. I dunno how successful it'll be, but that's the goal.

Of course, most of everything in your Steam library right now is probably not Linux compatible, and isn't going to get a port. So no one should be ditching their primary Windows Gaming PC for this; think of it as a supplement for people who also want to build a second PC to game on the TV sometimes.

Well the idea is that you can stream the Windows platform to your SteamOS box, right? So now ALL games can be played "on Linux".

I just....I don't have a good enough home network to stream stuff with little to no latency and/or lag. Streaming to my TV isn't really that big of an issue to me. I can just bring the PC the ten feet to my living room and plug it in there, if I want. Doesn't really solve the mouse and keyboard thing either.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    If I were to guess, I'd wager that there'd probably be cheaper boxes put out that just do the streaming thing (like a Roku that's actually useful), and more higher-end stuff that are full-blown consoles that can run the games natively.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    What I'm thinking here is a low-cost, low-power PC for playing linux games natively and, more importantly, streaming all your non-linux, high-requirement games from your gaming PC on your network.

In which case, holy shit. I'll buy two.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

They very specifically state it can run games. It's trying to convey that if you dont have the hardware on your set top box, or its not compatible, you can stream.

steam_sig.png
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    New Groupees Steampunk Bundle:

http://groupees.com/steampunk

For a minimum of $1 you get:
    -Vessel (Steam)
    -Greed Corp (Steam)
    -Jamestown (Steam)
    -Naval Warfare (Steam)
    -Various music "discs" and a graphic novel
    -4 bonus yet to be revealed

Yes it does mean that.
    Holy shit. I will abandon Windows the moment it SteamOS can handle my favorite games(which is just a few of them, actually).

...don't?

Linux support on Steam is picking up, but the VAST majority of quality games on there don't run on Linux, and I doubt we'll see too many ports of previously-released games. This is going to be best for people that already have a Windows/Mac gaming machine, and want a second (HT)PC on their TV that can play some games native, and stream the others from the primary Gaming PC.
    Yeah it's easily the most exciting thing about this announcement. If they get Wine working in it and I can play all of my Steam games in this open source, OS then I will be a happy, happy man.

I really doubt they're working on Wine; the announcement made it clear that their "solution" is to stream games from another PC.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    well thats where the modddabilty comes in. you can have a low cost tiny box that will stream everything off your pc. or you can build a higher power one that can play everything natively assuming things can get ported.

camo_sig.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Sounds cool! I guess the big question now is whether this streaming-from-your-pc business will be able to be processed by a cheap dongle thing and/or previously existing devices like Roku boxes/consoles, or if we'll need to buy a proper new PC in the form of a Steambox for it.

Wonder if that's what the third announcement with the two circles will be that it can stream to consoles.

I really doubt they're working on Wine; the announcement made it clear that their "solution" is to stream games from another PC.

I don't see why they wouldn't get Wine working in this OS. This way the games run natively within the OS rather than having to have two machines available.

• 8bitogre8bitogre San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    To celebrate whatever the hell Steam is planning, here's some codes! Dis one is fer Bastion

Loading...?

8bitogre on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I think the important news from this announcement is that I now have 10 Antimatter COndensers in Cookie Clicker and I hate the goose who linked that game. Also something something steamOS.

Ah but I was playing GTA V alongside it and didn't start til late in the day.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

I don't see why they wouldn't get Wine working in this OS. This way the games run natively within the OS rather than having to have two machines available.

At this point I would not be surprised at all to see a Valve branch of WINE.

Because if "they" (being Valve) were working on Wine, they'd have listed it as a feature on that announcement page; or at least some marketing speak around "Supports an ever-expanding list of Windows games" or some such. Now, it's Linux, so you and I both now that we can probably drop Wine on it if it's not already installed by default, but I really don't think Valve's ready to start getting into supporting people buying Windows games for their SteamBoxes and running into Wine issues.

The push for Streaming really tells me that they're probably going to just leave compatibility layers alone, and focus on pushing native Linux ports for new games going forward.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Couple of things.

!) Steam/ Valve fans are getting way, way too much like the worst 'cult of apple/steve jobs' fans. I am not talking about anyone in particular here. Just the Gabe love is getting nutty in places.

2) Everyone got pissed at EA for making origin as a competitor to steam. Now my games are separate etc etc. Well now theres a whole new Niche OS. The OS part- We are supposed to be super happy about this? Its more market fragmentation and wondering whether or not this version or that version is a better port. this does not seem like it will make things easier on the consumer.

3) Streaming - As a from my main box to my HTPC- Neat. But.... I kinda need windows on that too for you know.... the TV part. I wonder if steamOS will get hulu/netflix/hbogo? Could be neat. This could work, tho!

This in the short term does not alleviate the need for a windows PC. Game companies will look at the simple market share for quite a while and go windows ( Minus companies Gabe pays off or gets to drink the Koole Aide). Apple gaming has not taken off even with it market share growth.

So.... something to watch. Maybe turns good. maybe its just the Linux nerds in a few years. I'm just not hype as I don't see how this fits me in any way.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Guys. Guys. Guys!

SteamOS thumb drive. Every computer is your Steambox.

Headasplode.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    This is a late thank you to @Adellios who saw my library was lacking La Mulana and promptly fixed the oversight on saturday. I should have written this sooner, but I was rather absorbed with FF XIV over the weekend.

• YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Couple of things.

!) Steam/ Valve fans are getting way, way too much like the worst 'cult of apple/steve jobs' fans. I am not talking about anyone in particular here. Just the Gabe love is getting nutty in places.

2) Everyone got pissed at EA for making origin as a competitor to steam. Now my games are separate etc etc. Well now theres a whole new Niche OS. The OS part- We are supposed to be super happy about this? Its more market fragmentation and wondering whether or not this version or that version is a better port. this does not seem like it will make things easier on the consumer.

3) Streaming - As a from my main box to my HTPC- Neat. But.... I kinda need windows on that too for you know.... the TV part. I wonder if steamOS will get hulu/netflix/hbogo? Could be neat. This could work, tho!

This in the short term does not alleviate the need for a windows PC. Game companies will look at the simple market share for quite a while and go windows ( Minus companies Gabe pays off or gets to drink the Koole Aide). Apple gaming has not taken off even with it market share growth.

So.... something to watch. Maybe turns good. maybe its just the Linux nerds in a few years. I'm just not hype as I don't see how this fits me in any way.

It would have made more sense to just use a heavily modified linux/bsd for their "Steam OS", then at least they wouldn't be asking developers to write to a brand new platform (just a neglected one).

Oh child, reality is very far from where you are going now.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Oh neat. I got out of rig building about a decade ago because I was tired of Windows' bullshit. Having a free decent OS might get me back into it.

Worst case scenario I'll dual-boot my iMac.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Looks like someone missed the 'Serve The Newell' part of the OP

Yoshua wrote: »
    Couple of things.

It would have made more sense to just use a heavily modified linux/bsd for their "Steam OS", then at least they wouldn't be asking developers to write to a brand new platform (just a neglected one).

...I really think you need to go read the announcement page before posting any more on this topic.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Considering SteamOS is specifically a gaming and media OS, and not a general-purpose computing OS, It certainly seems like they could give it a very small size footprint, which would make it painless to just put it on a partition on your HTPC alongside Windows, or run it off a thumb-drive, whatever.

Scosglen on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    LostNinja wrote: »

Looks like someone missed the 'Serve The Newell' part of the OP

to hell with Newell. hes just a man that made a good store.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Sumanai wrote: »

It's a Steam OS based on Linux and there are hundreds Linux games on Steam already. Why wouldn't it be able to run games? That wouldn't make any sense.

I'm just weirded out by some of the evasive language.

"SteamOS, running on any living room machine, will provide access to the best games and user-generated content available."

I've reread the whole thing a few times and I think I understand what it means now.

If it can't run on SteamOS (IE Linux-compatible games) right now, you can stream it from a Windows PC. In the future big developers will be working to make their games compatible from the start.

Now I just need to know what kind of hardware we're talking. If I built one, how much would it cost me I wonder.

• EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    I thought the problem with household thin clients was that the server had to be running some beefy hardware to support streaming without noticeable input lag? I mean otherwise wouldn't there already be a (larger?) user group for windows -> windows streaming?

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
This discussion has been closed.