As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] The War of Art 2: Brushes covered in paint edition

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Eeww, enamel

What is your primer?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Mine is acrylic, but I'm not sure that's standard practice either.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Mine is Abbadon Black through an airbrush.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm confused but for I've been using spraybombs of primer that you'd find in places like walmart and home despot as my primer. Should I be switching to brush on stuff?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    You don't have to. I used Krylon spray paint as a primer for a while and it worked fine, I just hated having to brave the fury of the Daystar every time I went to prime something.

• Options
    Yeah, sprays are way more the norm. I don't have a good place to do spraying in my current situation (I'd like to switch to an airbrush at some point, but it's just not in the cards presently), and I prefer having more control than I feel I get out of a spray can. This is just me.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I used Krylon spray paint as a primer for a while and it worked fine

You are history's greatest monster.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    I used Krylon spray paint as a primer for a while and it worked fine

You are history's greatest monster.

True story. An employee once confided in me that that's who GW buys their paint primer from.

I can tell you this, it ain't the Emperor shitting it out one can at a time.

• Options
    luke-skywalker-noooooo.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    darth_vader2.jpg

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    So I attempted painting eyes the other night. I'm now considering making aviator sunglasses out of sculpey or greenstuff for every model that doesn't already have goggles. The details need to be so fine that my paint on the end of a toothpick trick won't work. Any tips?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    No good ones - I'm not really good at them either. It's one of those things you can practice on unpainted models (so you don't ruin them once you have painted them), but there's a bunch of things that work well for different people. Some prefer to paint the eyes black and then dot the white on either side. Some just leave them black. Others use a very fine sharpie (or equivalent) to dot the pupil over white.

Someone half decent at them want to chime in? :p

• Options
    I like this tutorial: Reaper Mini Shows How to Paint Eyes

However, my personal secret to painting eyes is:
    I don't. Nobody's gonna look at 'em on the table.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Yup that reaper guide is the best way to do it.

In certain models I just don't bother. Guardsman? You need to get some rank on you first, son.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Do it the lazy way. Put white. Wash it with dev mud. Hit it with a very light bit of off white. Skip the pupil. Keeps it lighter than the flesh but not shockingly white. Good for mediocre painters like myself.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I've tried eyes a few times and finally settled on the "don't" method.

• Options
    My best eyes ever were on my new terminator sgt, and it's just a couple of black dots with a micropen.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    There's a reason why all my guys have helmets/gasmasks.

...or blank daemon goat eyes.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I also do the pure white eyes with no pupil. It's not laziness or lack of skill. It's an homage to Storm from the X-Men!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    You all sicken me.

• Options
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Good lord. My brother was so insistent that I try warhammer that he bought me a whole army of my choice (chaos daemons, which was very nice) on the condition that I paint it.

I've got it all put together and primed it. And now I am stuck by full on choice paralysis. Doesn't help that I have no familiarity with the colors and Daemons seem to be less popular.

The Slaanesh Soul Grinders are the most intimidating. I'm thinking warlock purple over the body, then slaanesh grey or some lighter purple after that? Coming down to end in a really light color on the flesh claws.

Then on the legs, I thought about doing some super gauche metal like gold, but I don't like purple and gold because of its regional team affiliation. The plain industrial look is eh, but I thought I might try that and then rusting it. Any ideas from people that have painted slaanesh?

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Oh yeah, the reason I like the rust idea is because I can carry it over to the edges of my juggernauts to make the whole army look battle worn.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    The Slaanesh Soul Grinders are the most intimidating. I'm thinking warlock purple over the body, then slaanesh grey or some lighter purple after that? Coming down to end in a really light color on the flesh claws.

Then on the legs, I thought about doing some super gauche metal like gold, but I don't like purple and gold because of its regional team affiliation. The plain industrial look is eh, but I thought I might try that and then rusting it. Any ideas from people that have painted slaanesh?

For Slaaneshi skin, I've been playing with Genestealer Purple with a Drucii Violet wash, then go with Slaanesh Grey on the raised areas with a thinned highlight of Palid Wych Flesh.

As for the metal, I really like a brass color with my dude(ette)s, but I GUESS a silver could work as well.

• Options
    Have you considered colored metallics?

• Options
    I have actually.

I went ahead and started painting the bodies last night with a base of 50/50 genestealer and dheneb stone.

Truth be told, seeing the base on there makes me pretty ok with some brass effects on the legs, but if you have any recommendations on colored metallics, those could be cool too.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    I really don't. Brass and/or gold would look the best against purple and would best befit the ostentatious nature of Slaanesh.

The Dark Prince cares little for your sporting balls teams. S/he cares plenty about balls and men in tight pants, but not the sports played with them.

• Options
    It honestly worked out better once I threw the purple on there, because it wasn't AS purple as I was worried it might be.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    You know what I hate? Forgetting to see and remove a huge mold line until you're halfway through painting.

Also, i'm almost finished painting this unit of assault marines and so I started assembling the next unit, a tac squad. Comparing the plastic from this older assault set vs. the new tac squad the new set is like night and day better. As an example, the vents on the older backpacks are cheapo and thin, and have tough to clean up mold lines. The new backpacks have more depth and easier to clean mold lines.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yup. GW learned one hell of a lot about injection moulding, from initial sculpt to final cut, in the last decade.
    For example they switched from hand-operated pantographs scaling down from a 3-up master to CNC milling from a digital master. That alone would account for the lack of "thinness" issues.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I'm seriously considering letting the old marines just be my two devastator squads for my company. I do plan to one day have a full company.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Still waiting for the day we get backpacks that are not attached to the sprue via the smooth round vents that is the worst place goddam

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    I know right.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    You mean you can't clip them off and smooth them over to the same shape as the vent?

Amateurs.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    IMAG0387.jpg
    IMAG0392.jpg
    IMAG0391.jpg
    More or less done! just need to take some less crappy photos in the morning!

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    As always Asher, your work is top notch.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    I did some stuff. The Charger and Lancer are done, the Stormguard are not fully completed test models. Decided I didn't like the EVERYTHING IS METAL look but wanted to maintain silver for the "Silver Line" Stormguard...I think that failed, too. Probably just going to make the helmet copper for the rest of them.

42D6QJH.jpg

dox5bGh.jpg

dH4CUVe.jpg

zZKcixT.jpg

Part of me thinks the green tinted silver armor could work if the currently copper bits were not also metallic. Maybe charcoal in color?

Tips, tricks, critics would be great.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2013
    Dark Eldar Kabalite Warrior helmets on Cold One Knights look pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4juxWXU0X0E

Echo on
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »

This felt like such a waste of time I was tempted to report it.
    Man that comes full circle ...

This discussion has been closed.