As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of Shield] Cyber crime just got a whole lot deadlier!

Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley...Registered User regular
edited February 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
The thread to celebrate the premiere of Marvel's Agents of Shield!

The Marvel cinematic universe began with one hero: Robert Downey Jr Iron Man. Turns out, it became a monster hit, thus Marvel decided to do the unthinkable. They released a set of movies that introduced major heroes in the marvel universe, such as Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Samuel L Jackson with an eye patch, and Stan Lee. (At some point Hawkeye was thrown in as a last minute cameo, so he doesn't count.)

These movies were successful on various levels. The quality was all over the place, but in the end, they were hugely entertaining. After Marvel finished what was called 'phase 1', they ended it with something no comic fan thought they would ever see: The Avengers (or unofficially Iron Man and his wacky pals) directed by none other than Joss Whedon (creator of Firefly, one of the best Science Fictions ever made).

The movie was huge. People loved it. Marvel made lots of money.

That brings us to 'phase 2' of the cinematic universe. Iron Man 3 is releasing on Blu-ray today, and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. premieres today. Today is a big day for Marvel. Who knew that Marvel would get a show up and running? And that it would be helmed by geek god Joss Whedon.

If you have been living under a rock, here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClTyHl6fOjE

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
PSN - Brainiac_8
Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
Add me!
Brainiac 8 on

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Probably won't have time to catch SHIELD until tomorrow, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Me too, I'll be having to watch it tomorrow.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Wait, whedon is involved with the show? I didn't know that. Is it in name only?

steam_sig.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

I think he's listed as a creator. But lots of his people from Dollhouse and Angel seem to be the shows principle show runners.

It's pretty much going to be written and directed by all the people he always has do his shows (aka the people behind Firefly, Serenity, and Dollhouse).

This means the show should be awesome.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Would somebody mind spoiling for me (with spoiler tags, please!) how they retconned Agent Coulson's death?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Feral wrote: »
    Would somebody mind spoiling for me (with spoiler tags, please!) how they retconned Agent Coulson's death?

I definitely don't want to know yet, but they have mentioned vaguely in one of the trailers/teasers that this isn't common knowledge.

As in
    apparently Coulson himself doesn't know yet.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    they haven't said yet how Coulson is still alive and it'll probably be one of the main plot threads of the show, at least for the first season anyway. hopefully the reveal wont be a massive letdown.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So hey guys.

This show is probably going to justify it's own thread, beyond just a general Marvel thread, because there are going to be a lot of people who want to discuss the show, but don't give a crap about comic books, or who don't want to have a tangent on whether Captain America was better than Thor.

Since this thread is currently only really discussing the series, do we want to just turn it into the AoS thread? Or shall I create a new thread for that purpose?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited September 2013
    I'll change the title, I'm ok with this just being the AoS thread. I'll adjust.

@ElJeffe...adjusted.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    they haven't said yet how Coulson is still alive and it'll probably be one of the main plot threads of the show, at least for the first season anyway. hopefully the reveal wont be a massive letdown.
    When in doubt, Skrulls. Who says you can't copy the feel of a comic book story into television? :P :)

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    like you say, this thread seems to be an AoS thread already so probably best to make that official and let a new Marvel thread be made(since the last one is on page 109).

Anyway, can't wait to watch this tonight. I've been jonesing for a new Whedon series, and the premise for this has loads of potential, while also having a preexisting mindshare that will hopefully give it more staying power than... every Whedon series past Angel.

I wonder how much creative control Whedon actually has on this, and if he'll have the leeway to get away with his typical subversions and penchant for slaughtering his babies.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Dollhouse was a super underrated and fantastic show of Whedon's. If this has half the genius that Dollhouse and Firefly had, it'll be something special.

Speaking of him slaughtering his babies, I too wonder how that'll be handled. You never know when Whedon will off people.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Judging from the reviews I've read, I expect a lot of huge Marvel/MCU fans to be disappointed in the pilot.

They probably shouldn't be, Whedon is going to save the really good stuff for the end of the season. The pilot's job is to introduce the show to the general public.

Tomanta on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    As a man who doesn't have cable: I cannot wait to see this show in 5 years when it finally makes its way to Netflix.

edited September 2013
    Those reviews make me hopeful. Whedon's shows, even the best ones, never have super-awesome pilots, so I wasn't expecting rave reviews. (Honestly, there are very few shows of any sort that have awesome pilots.) The only real complaint across the two of them is the NYT's complaint that it doesn't have big-name blockbuster action going on, which is kind of the whole goddamn point of the series, and that the dozen or so characters they have to introduce in 42 minutes are not fully realized and three-dimensional yet.

So: sounds promising, with no non-stupid complaints just yet.

ElJeffe on
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    This is a network show. You don't need cable to watch it.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    It's on ABC, not cable. Over the air antenna should pull it in.

urahonky wrote: »
    As a man who doesn't have cable: I cannot wait to see this show in 5 years when it finally makes its way to Netflix.

http://watchabc.go.com/ ?

I don't know if they'll be airing it there, or if there'll be a delay, but there might be other options to see it without waiting for the dvd box sets/Netflix to kick in, and I mean that in the most legal manner of speaking. Hell, Canada's Comedy Network's player is a big pile of shit, but if I'm jonesing for a hit of the Daily Show, it's something I can fall back on.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh shit I didn't think about that... I'll see if I can get an antenna.

Depending on your area, you might want to look into getting a powered antenna. They're a little more ($30+ instead of $10+) but they can provide a better and more reliable signal.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So this is probably the first network show ill watch in years. I guess fringe was on fox so maybe that's a lie.

But yeah I've been super hyped for this since it was announced as a thing. Joss tv show plus likely a massive backing? Yes please.

616610-1.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Those reviews make me hopeful. Whedon's shows, even the best ones, never have super-awesome pilots, so I wasn't expecting rave reviews. (Honestly, there are very few shows of any sort that have awesome pilots.) The only real complaint across the two of them is the NYT's complaint that it doesn't have big-name blockbuster action going on, which is kind of the whole goddamn point of the series, and that the dozen or so characters they have to introduce in 42 minutes are not fully realized and three-dimensional yet.

So: sounds promising, with no non-stupid complaints just yet.

That's why I've giving the pilot some leeway. Once a few episodes have aired then the show will take off like a rocket.
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Judging from the reviews I've read, I expect a lot of huge Marvel/MCU fans to be disappointed in the pilot.

They probably shouldn't be, Whedon is going to save the really good stuff for the end of the season. The pilot's job is to introduce the show to the general public.
    Maria Hill is in the pilot. In season two Smolders might get a main role. *crosses fingers*
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    When in doubt, Skrulls. Who says you can't copy the feel of a comic book story into television? :P :)

Hell yeah. I'd love to see the show have a Skull invasion plot.

I really hope Zodiac ends up being one of the main bad guys. It would work as an anti-shield.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited September 2013
    dupe

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2013
    A trailer/teaser about coulson
    basically alluded that "he doesnt know yet?!?!?!?" with characters in the background talking about him. So its mean to be a mystery/conspiracy thing. I am betting clone.

holy shit, this would be amazing...
    What if hes a robot/AI from stark, and becomes ultron after 1 season, going into the avengers.
    That could be epic.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    IGN posted a recap of sorts of each of Shield's appearances in the MCU so far. its a nice reminder of the road that led us here.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/23/marvels-agents-of-shield-from-iron-man-to-the-avengers-the-story-so-far

basically alluded that "he doesnt know yet?!?!?!?" with characters in the background talking about him. So its mean to be a mystery/conspiracy thing. I am betting clone.

What if hes a robot/AI from stark, and becomes ultron after 1 season, going into the avengers.
    That could be epic.
    Life Model Decoy.

Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I really hope Zodiac ends up being one of the main bad guys. It would work as an anti-shield.

There's so many options to explore and directions they can take. There's five to ten years material at their finger tips. And that's not counting new characters or organizations created for the show.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

That could be epic.
    Life Model Decoy.
    Real Doll

I'm hoping ABC has this up for streaming by tomorrow. No TV and, unlike some folks here, there's no chance in hell that I can get anything aside from PBS over the air.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    So has there been any indication as to which powered characters might show up? I only glanced at the wiki page but everyone seems to be a regular highly trained Joe. Which I don't have a problem with for the main cast but I am curious as to who's going to be popping up. Or is the intent to go for their own

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

There's so many options to explore and directions they can take. There's five to ten years material at their finger tips. And that's not counting new characters or organizations created for the show.

Zodiac would be a great overarching villain for the series. Like, tease for most of season 1 that there's someone behind certain events, then after that's wrapped up in the season finale the audience (but not SHIELD) gets hints that there's a larger organization.

It's extremely cliche, but I don't care.

Quid wrote: »
    So has there been any indication as to which powered characters might show up? I only glanced at the wiki page but everyone seems to be a regular highly trained Joe. Which I don't have a problem with for the main cast but I am curious as to who's going to be popping up. Or is the intent to go for their own

spoilers from episode 3's description,
    ep 3 is a mission to rescue Dr. Franklin Hall, so there's a good chance that Graviton will make an appearance at some point if not right away.

That could be epic.
    %D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B5-%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B0-%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BA%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%80-%D1%85%D0%B0%D1%83%D1%81-%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%B8-66891.jpeg

:?:

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    I have hope that this will one day be good.

But like Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse before it, I don't think that the first season will be. I think it'll just be x-files lite 'monster/supervillain of the week' stuff.

Hopefully I'm wrong, though. Hopefully it's like Firefly and gold from the start.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

That could be epic.
    Life Model Decoy.
    It's Cameleon and at the end of season 1 the agents find out they have been performing missions for HYDRA

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    edited September 2013
    Quid wrote: »

Making the main cast new characters makes some sense. Everyone can learn about them, fans and non-fans alike. They can do anything they want with them since there's no guarantee they'd be in the movies or adapting story lines from the comics, excluding Coulson and
    Maria Hill.

Graviton has been confirmed. He'll be in the third episode, I think. Rockwell has shown interest in being on the show, Hammer is perfect big bad material. Nick Fury could show up as well. I've read interviews with Fiege, Whedon etc saying that AIM is on the table.

With this show they can do what they want and dip into Marvel lore. All they need to do is stay out out of the movies way.
    Tomanta wrote: »

Zodiac would be a great overarching villain for the series. Like, tease for most of season 1 that there's someone behind certain events, then after that's wrapped up in the season finale the audience (but not SHIELD) gets hints that there's a larger organization.

It's extremely cliche, but I don't care.

The sky's the limit on this show. Zodiac, Hydra, Skrulls...there's a whole universe of possibilities to explore.
    Greeper wrote: »
    I have hope that this will one day be good.

But like Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse before it, I don't think that the first season will be. I think it'll just be x-files lite 'monster/supervillain of the week' stuff.

Hopefully I'm wrong, though. Hopefully it's like Firefly and gold from the start.

Mutant Enemy shows are not simply monster-of-the-week series, they have season or series long story lines with the occasional super-villain/monster-of-the-week episodes. Some of the best episodes from X-Files were stand alone episodes.

Harry Dresden on
    Buffy was rough the first season, albeit enjoyable. Angel found its legs quickly, and was pretty solid after a handful of episodes (though it would become much, much better). Dollhouse was clunky for the first five, and goddamn amazing starting at episode 6.

My biggest concern is what Marvel (or whoever holds the purse strings) is hoping to accomplish with this. How successful does it need to be for them to keep going? Can it be Buffy successful, or does it have to be Avengers successful?

This discussion has been closed.