As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thanks for playing Anti! [Pacific Rim Roleplay]

Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me?I'm too famous.Registered User regular
edited April 2014 in Critical Failures
1683357-slide-s-4-pacific-rim-del-toro_zps4f999193.jpg

Pacific Rim, this summer's action adventure blockbuster, had a surprising amount of world-building for a film ostensibly just a vehicle for giant robot fighting action (not that I am complaining.)
So much so in fact that my various D&D friends decided they'd rather play a game set in that world than run another campaign of dungeon-crawling.
For whatever foolish reason I volunteered to write up some rules suitable for such a setting.
Now that game is sadly over, but I'm left with these rules, so I figure I could give them a shot right here on CF if anyone is interested in playing a game with a set of barely tested, poorly edited, somewhat arbitrary rules written by someone who cannot do maths.
(I'm being somewhat facetious here, we did play with these rules for ~6 weeks, editing them as we went so they're not completely untested and were actually pretty fun!)

The rules in question can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rsjh8wb3qu7ivf/PacificRimRPG.pdf

pacific-rim3_zps0ce86a7a.jpg

So, you've had a look at the rules and haven't been put off enough to stop reading, great!

What's next? You may ask.

Essentially I'm just fishing for interest at this stage. As each player will be controlling two characters and a Jaeger. (Unless of course two people want to pilot a single Jaeger together, or maybe someone would even prefer to play a non-combat role.) I'm looking for around 3-4 players so that there won't be too many characters to keep track of.
I prefer to keep my games fairly free-form, ideally I want to let everyone's characters go anywhere and do anything, with some occasional interjections of something vaguely resembling plot occasionally rearing it's ugly head. The same is true in combat, if you want to try something crazy that's not really covered in the rules then I'm likely to be fine with it so long as it's suitably cool.
Speaking of the rules they are somewhat mutable, they provide a framework to play around rather than anything solid, so occasionally things will happen contrary to the rules for the sake of drama.

So, if your interested and just want to know more before commiting yourself then ask away in here, I should be able to answer any rules queries seen as I made them up and I'm happy to answer any more general questions regarding the game too.
If you're definantly interested in playing than just make a sign up! post, maybe with some character concepts/Jaeger designs if you have any and we can move right on to character creation.

As a final note here I should probably say that I have never GMd a game online before, and these rules have never been used in an online environment either, so things could swiftly turn into a massive disaster! But hopefully it'll be pretty fun regardless.

maxresdefault_zpsb146a61c.jpg

The Setting

The game's setting should be fairly familiar to anyone who's seen the film but I'll do a brief blurb anyway:

August 10th, 2013 was a testing day for mankind, a trial by fire for the human race. An earthquake was detected off the coast of San Francisco, but it soon became apparent that the quake had no natural cause; a collosal creature, eyewitnesses suggest around 300ft tall, reared up from the depths of the ocean, seawater raining down from it's mottled carapace and an alien cry bellowing from it's armoured head. The beast rampaged along the coastline causing untold damage for six days, seemedly impervious to all assault. Ultimately the first 'Kaiju' was slain by a number of tactical nuclear warheads.

However, this incursion was not to be the last and Kaiju continued to appear and wreak havoc. Conventional weapons were no match for the alien monstrosities, but it is said that times of war are often times of innovation, and so humantiy turned to a new weapon.
The Jaeger Program.
Metal behemoths, heavily armed and armoured battle-constructs on a scale to rival the fierce Kaiju. Controlled directly by the thoughts of their pilots the Jaegers began to resemble a serious defense versus the Kaiju threat. Initial tests revealed a single mind was not strong enough to command a Jaeger, but the introduction of a second, syncronised, mind into the neural link provided the solution. Two minds, working as one, controlling humanities last defense against an unknowable foe.

All you really need to know is that Kaiju are bad and Jaegers were designed to punch them in their dumb alien faces.

I'm going to alter the films canon a little in order to get a workable setting for this game; although I could set things in the 'golden age' of Jaegers I feel that would ultimately limit the game as we all know that period ends and it might become necessary to proceed 'past' the events of the film.

So, this is going to be a sort of minor alternate universe take on things; for the purposes of this game the anti-Kaiju wall was never built, the Jaeger program was never abolished, the golden age continued.
However, this also means that the events of the film never happened, with official funding for the Jaegers Marshall Pentecost was never forced into a last-ditch assault on the Breach and, as such, it remains open, constantly spilling out more and more Kaiju at an accelerated rate.
The PPDC eventually find it difficult to deal with the nigh-constant incursions and, into that gap, slip the commercial Jaeger initatives. Privately owned companies running their own Jaeger operations around various coastlines, protecting cities like the PPDC, but for a cost of course.
Without the PPDC's stringent tests and examinations the private defense contractors recruit all manner of pilots, those too foolhardy, too altruistic, too glory-seeking for the PPDC. And, of course, those too dangerous, incompetant or cash-motivated as well.
But the system seems to work, the combined efforts of the PPDC and the private firms keep the Kaiju from the cities for the most part and the world spins on.

So, that's where your characters would step in. You are Jaeger pilots, you have access to a Jaeger through whatever means you want and you are responding to a recruitment ad from a private Jaeger defense contractor which I am unimaginatively calling 'Aegis'.

Active Jaegers:

Disco Neon - Mark II (KIA)
Str: 3
Fpr: 2
Arm: 1
Agi: 4
Pow: 10
Wei: -3
Mov: 11"

HLM-Blades+2 Explosive 1
Sonic Scattercannon (R5/E/2D4/Sonic 1)

Gyroscopic Feet - May add Agi mod to Trip Defense

Rhythmic Breakdown (Dance Step 1, Dazzle Burst 1)

Fission Hercules - Mark III
Str: 4
Arm: 5
Agi: 2
Pow: 8
Wei: 2
Mov: 5"

Spike Knuckle +3
Cement Mixer (R3/SS/D6/Epoxy)
Unamed Weapon System +2 (Unamed Weapon Effect)

Meteor Cataphract - Mark IV
Str: 5
Fpr: 5
Arm: 3
Agi: 3
Wei: 0
Mov: 7"

Impact Drill+1 (Pressure Strike)
Acid Ordinance (R2/SS/D6/Corrosive)

Kinetic Drivers (+1 Str/Agi for 1 roll)

Riposte Blast (Honed Skill 1, Acid Burn 1, Mail Breaker 1)

Sheperd Trumpcard - Mark III
Str: 3
Arm: 1
Agi: 6
Wei: -5
Mov: 12"

Bo Staff+3, Incendiary 1
Wrist-mounted Harpoon Launcher (R2"/SS/D6/Penetrative 1)

Rocket Torso (Shift 1" after succesful attack)
Cardio Boost (Offensive Bonus equal to half previous Free Movement)

Dizzying Staff (Grip Breaker 1, Skull Smasher 1, Leg Sweep 1)

Cyclopean Junket - Mark IV
Str: 8
Fpr: 0
Arm: 5
Agi: 2
Pow: 11
Wei: 3
Mov: 4"

Blazing Bracers (Incendiary 1)
Flame Mace (Napalm 1)

Heavy Boots (Add Weight to Grapple checks)
Thunder Mug (Attempt to Taunt nearby Kaiju)

Halos Nach Tariff on

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    SIGNING RIGHT THE HELL UP

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Reporting for duty Marshall!

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    This looks like 13 different flavors of awesome.
    I'll volunteer for the Jaeger Corps.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm down like a clown. Charlie Brown

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I LOVE PACIFIC RIM.

And also you. You are the best. Let me in your game.

Rainfall on
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    If that's not too many, I'd be happy to join, though this would be my first incursion into this sort of thing.

I have an idea for a Jaeger/Crew and would be interested in co-piloting with someone else and hashing out the character/Jaeger. Feel free to PM me!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

A newly created Mark I Jaeger has 10 stat points to be allocated amongst these categories (barring
    Weight) at the controlling players discretion. Although it should be noted that a low Power stat will make a
    Jaeger almost unpilotable. (An initial Power stat of between 4 and 6 should prove sufficient.)

Is this the same for Pilot stats? Do you have to have at least 1 point in each stat, or is there no downside to having a 0 in a stat?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Michelle Tallon- History: A Californian native, she's been described as possessing nothing less than technopathic abilities and an eidetic memory. Tallon's able to remember pretty much every piece of information that enters her brain, and interact with technology better than anyone else she knows, able to keep up with the best of the Jaeger techs. Swift in movement, sure in action, she composes and listens to nothing less than the loudest and fastest music. She was aching for payback after San Fran was totaled by Trespasser, and eventually managed to get a position as a pilot thanks to a German assembling company. Although she's easily startled, she's so confident in her abilities to interact with machines that she would try to solo-pilot a Jaeger, even if she isn't actually capable. Secretly resents not being able to be a Ranger in the PPDC.

Appearance: Michelle is 6'0”, and skinny as a rail. Brunette with blue eyes, she's keenly focused on whatever she's doing at the time. Her face is all angles, with a sharp chin. A fan of dark jackets and pants, she doesn't have time to make herself up, and wouldn't even if she did.

Born: August 30th, 2000.
    Strength: 1
    Agility: 3
    Resilience:1
    Mind: 3
    Major Trait: Technology Whisperer
    Minor Traits: Music Aficionado, Twitchy, Confident, Chip on Her Shoulder

Jane Walker- History: An idealistic young woman from Canada, Jane spent much of her youth in her older brother's junkyard, rubbing elbows with his clients and learning as much as she could about Jaegers and Jaeger repair. At the age of 12, she cobbled together what she thought a Jaeger Conn-Pod should look like, loaded with monitors and controls. When not studying, tinkering, or reading for fun, she is easily bored and depressed. Around other people or in the company of literature and technology, she lights up like an LED array. Jane applied for the PPDC every year as soon as she was old enough, but she got rejected every time. She wasn't as coordinated, strong, or fast as others. Only recently did her intelligence earn her a chance, thanks to the private company created Jaegers. She doesn't give up, and was assigned a partner and Jaeger that suits her philosophy.

Appearance: Jane is 5'3", and a bit on the round side. She is blonde, and has green eyes. She's constantly thinking, and she always looks distracted. She doesn't wear makeup, and has a round face with freckles. She wears loose sweaters and skirts in civilian life, preferring brighter colors.

Born: March 28th, 2004.
    Strength: 2
    Agility: 1
    Resilience:2
    Mind: 3
    Major Trait: Strong Willed
    Minor Traits: Talkative, Lonesome, Well-Read, Tinkerer

Jaeger: Disco Neon- Mark 1
    Created by a German initiative, coded by Tallon and designed by Walker. A teal and pink giant with sonic based weaponry. Possesses a Conn-Pod with a segmented visor and faceplate. She's fleet of feet- Tallon requested that Neon be capable of moving like she belonged on a dance floor.

Armour: 1
    Agility: 2
    Firepower: 2
    Power: 4
    Weight: -1

Weaponry:
    HLM Hydrogen Blades
    Melee
    Special Effect: Explosive
    Although Kaiju armour is typically resistant to explosive kinetic force it is still possible to severely damage them through suitably powerful means. When making an Offensive action with an explosive weapon keep track of how many 10s are rolled. If the attack is successful multiply the resultant damage by 2 for each 10 rolled.
    Supersonic Scattercannon
    Ranged
    Range 1
    Projectile Type: Energy
    Special Effect: Sonic- Disorienting an enemy Kaiju's balance, a successful hit with a Sonic weapon will permanently lower the target's Agility stat in water by 2”. Their speed remains the same on land, as liquids conduct sound better than air.
    Damage: D3

Auxiliary System: Gyroscopic Feet
    The Jaeger may add their Agility modifier to Defensive rolls against Tripping.
    Signature Ability: Rhythmic Breakdown
    Melee
    Disco Neon's Scattercannon and Hydrogen Blades retract, and in their place pop out drumstick like batons. Disco Neon then proceeds to turn enemy Kaiju into impromptu drum kits and cymbals, hitting harder and faster than a broken drum machine. When finished, the batons retract and Neon's standard armaments pop back out.
    Effect: Pressure Strike
    Weapons with the Pressure Strike attribute are designed to disrupt a Kaiju's critical weak spots. Each time a weapon with the Pressure Strike effect is used in a successful Weakness Exploit the target Kaiju suffers 1 point of permanent Power damage in addition to the usual effects.
    The enemy Kaiju gets a -1 to their next defensive roll against Tripping.
    Pending Approval, I made up some things for DISCO NEON

DISCO NEON

This endeavor is already worth it just for that

I'm looking for someone who's interested in being a Tag Team partner

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DISCO NEON

This endeavor is already worth it just for that
    61254_399544060152136_1651390038_n.jpg

Some helpful links, to get you in the mood.
    Pacific Rim soundtrack
    Jaeger Name Generator

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Consider me interested! Not sure if I am gonna be playing a Jaeger crew or support staff, though. Depends somewhat on what other people play, I guess.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    You play the tune, I'm ready to dance.

Willing to play any part that's needed.

Wouldn't mind a Jaeger, but if there's full rules for the tech staff, well, who doesn't want to be the WILD CARD?

chiasaur11 on
    I've got at least one of my two pilots all figured out, and I'm in the sort of mood where I'm jumping around my room, pretending to beat up Kaiju and geeking out over potential ideas, so by tomorrow I should have something nice and concrete.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    In order to get in the appropriate mood, character generation should be done with this on a loop in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vU7XqToZso

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    how important is that we've seen the movie? because I like giant robots

Egos wrote: »
    "There are things you can't fight - acts of God. You see a hurricane coming, you get out of the way. But when you're in a Jaeger, you can finally fight the hurricane. You can win."

Have you seen the Trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A85EtOalcsM

If you like giant robots, and dig the trailer, you should really check out the movie when you get a chance.

Pacific Rim is one of the best movies about humanity and also has giant robots punching horrible monsters in the face

Pacific Rim is the Citizen Kane of movies

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    "There are things you can't fight - acts of God. You see a hurricane coming, you get out of the way. But when you're in a Jaeger, you can finally fight the hurricane. You can win."

Have you seen the Trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A85EtOalcsM

If you like giant robots, and dig the trailer, you should really check out the movie when you get a chance.

yeah I saw the trailer and knew mainly of it mainly because of Del Toro . But I didn't get a chance to see it for whatever reason.

To be honest, it was just an excuse to to link the trailer. I love that thing.

Also, Amazon has a release date of Oct 15, so the good news is that it's only a few weeks away.

So uh, I've got a WIP thing for characters written up if anyone wants to have a gander
    (It's very much a rough draft sort of thing, so if something feels out of place let me know)

Name: Ashkir Jenkins
    Birthplace: London, England
    Bio: The eldest son of a Somalian immigrant and her English-born husband, Ashkir Jenkins has always been absolutely fascinated by things other people hated. At the age of 8 he was found in his backyard with a massive spider, taking detailed and careful notes on its movement and external anatomy. At first his parents believed that it was his mother’s work as a biologist, and that he would follow in her footsteps, but when he started to fail biology tests left and right in school it became clear that this was just the way he was, possessing almost a psychic ability to understand anything organic you put in front of him. This included the Kaiju; as he watched on with the rest of the world in horror at Trespasser’s rampage through San Francisco, he jumped up and screamed at the television, telling them that they were doing it all wrong, yelling and yelling until his voice went hoarse. From that day he knew that he could do some real good against the Kaiju threat, and he was determined to do just that.
    Major trait: Kaiju Comprehension
    Minor traits:

Name: Ian Trumpsten III
    Bio: Named after his father, who in turn was named after his father, Ian Trumpsten III is the heir to a multimillion euro fortune in his family’s automotive company, Trumpsten Auto (“We Trump the rest!”). On the surface he appears to be a prick, being young and rich, but beneath the surface there’s someone who genuinely cares. He only very rarely shows that side, though, and only to people whom he really trusts. Ashkir Jenkins is one of those people. They first met when Ashkir found Ian in a fight against several other boys when they were children. He intervened, hating to see an unfair fight, and his strength combined with Ian’s was enough to drive them off (he later learned that Ian had challenged them all at once over their accusations that he had cheated them out of money, which he had in fact done). It was enough to kickstart a deep bond between the two young men, and as they grew up together they helped each other turn the tide of many a schoolyard brawl, and eventually in schoolwork, as Ashkir was a gifted author and Ian was much more intelligent when it came to the sciences than he initially appeared, helping Ashkir barely pass biology.
    Major Trait:
    Minor Traits:
    The friendship between the two men led them to believe they may be Drift compatible when the Kaiju were emerging from the Rift, so they applied in earnest to be Rangers and were rejected time and time again. They weren’t the best at fighting, and they weren’t even close to the smartest, and for a long time it seemed like they were going to have to watch others fight an uneven fight without them. Then, one day, Ian’s father revealed that his company was going under due to the economic stresses of living on a planet under siege, but that they were taking the last of the money they had saved up and using it to build a Jaeger for Ian and Ashkir.

My own character/jaeger rough draft write up. Very much a WIP, if Halos has any suggestions or comments about balance, they'd be appreciated.
    With such an open ended system, it's very tempting to go overly min/max. I'm most concerned with the Neural Bridge Synergy and Heavy Boots auxiliary system.
    Character:
    Name: Shane McCune
    Stat Block
    Strength 3
    Agility 2
    Resilience 2
    Mind 1
    Major Trait: Bruiser (Any problem can be solved by the application of sufficient force, the more up close and personal the better)
    Minor Trait: Jock, Gear Head, Over Protective, “Ladies man”, Glory days (reminisces about past victories both in and out of a Jaeger to anyone who will listen)

Name: Benjamin Reilly
    Stat Block
    Strength 1
    Agility 2
    Resilience 2
    Mind 3
    Major Trait: Kaiju Groupie (seeks to understand the Kaiju and origin in order to fight them more effectively)
    Minor Trait: Sci-fi Nerd, Bookworm, Tech head, Recreational Researcher, Introvert, Paranoid

Neural Bridge Synergy: Precision Strike
    By observing a Kaiju in action and comparing it to previous incursions Benjamin is able to recognize some details about its anatomy; this allows them to determine where a melee or ranged attack should be directed for maximum effectiveness and communicate the vulnerability to any allied jaegers if so desired. A successful attack using this information will remove any bonuses the Kaiju had accrued from previous Weakness Exploit attacks as the information reveals a previously unnoticed weakness to target.

History:
    Both crewmembers hale from San Francisco, born in the same year and growing up in the same area, Benjamin and Shane attended the same schools for most of their lives. They had many of the same classes and, for the vast majority of their shared scholastic career; Shane made Ben’s life a living hell.
    Athletically gifted, outgoing and popular, Shane harassed Benjamin relentlessly for his studious leanings and generally anti-social behavior. For his part, Ben ignored or avoided his tormentor as much as possible, spending free periods in the library or in front of his computer, taking advanced courses that interested him and counting down the days until graduation. Had the world not changed, that would likely have been the last they saw of each other in any real capacity. Ben went onto a prestigious college to continue his education, and Shane took a position managing his family’s garage.
    But the world did change, and the city they had grown up in was destroyed by Trespasser a little over a year past graduation.
    Time passed and the Jaeger program moved into full swing, and both men eventually applied for positions with the PPDC. Ben sought out a research position learning about the alien creatures that were rampaging across the planet, and Shane turned his mechanical aptitude towards maintaining the only weapons that could save the planet. Even with both working for the PPDC and eventually the commercial Corps, it was likely that the two would have continued through the war never meeting until a mistyped SQL query from one of the Commercial Corps dredged their shared past out of a PPDC database and flagged them as potentially drift compatible.
    If the two had been surprised when summoned to a shatterdome for Drift Compatibility testing, it was nothing compared to learning that they actually were drift compatible. Drifting through each other’s memories has shown them both the other side of their childhood relationship. While they don’t talk about it to others, this understanding has changed both of them and given them a bond that only a Jaeger pilot could understand. Ben typically speaks for the pair with almost unconscious sarcasm. And Shane is ready, willing, and entirely too eager to answer any perceived slight to himself or his partner with a closed fist.

Appearance:
    Ben is a little above average height, though being rather thin leaves people the impression of being taller than he actually is. He tends toward unkempt hair and a short, poorly maintained beard. He often shows up for duty looking sleepless after long hours spent assisting in the Kaiju research facility.
    Shane is shorter than average with a heavy set, bulky build that speaks of considerable strength. He’s often found among the Jaeger tech crews in his off hours, offering assistance with whatever is needed. He’s a good hand with a welding torch or a wrench, though he avoids the more technological components. His work in the jaeger garage leaves his clothes and hands consistently grease stained.

Jaeger: Hyperion Mammoth
    Mk: I (10 pts)
    Strength: 4
    Armor: 3
    Agility: 0
    Firepower: 0
    Power: 3 (+1)
    Weight: 2
    Bonuses: +2 melee damage, -2 movement

Qualities:
    As the name implies, Hyperion Mammoth is a slow moving, graceless titan, intended to be devastating in melee combat and designed to trade blows while focusing on landing a devastating hit or combo. The Jaeger suffers from slow movement and a lack of effective long ranged combat ability. It relies on ideal positioning before a battle to insure that it’s in the proper place to engage the oncoming kaiju.
    Weaponry:
    Flame Mace
    Range: Melee
    Special Effect:
    The primary weapon of Hyperion Mammoth, the Flame Mace is a massive blunt instrument that emits a torrent of burning napalm on a successful hit. Originally designed to attempt to cauterize the wound and minimize the impact of Kaiju Blue on the surrounding environment. If the blow was not enough to finish the Kaiju, the napalm will continue dealing minor amounts of damage until the Kaiju can fully submerge to extinguish/wash off the burning liquid. The damage done by the burning napalm to the environment is generally considered preferable to large quantities of kaiju blood, but this feature can be deactivated for city use or in other largely combustible areas.

Shot Cannon
    Range: 1”
    Projectile: (multiple solid state shot)
    Special Effects: Essentially a massively scaled up shotgun, the Shot Cannon fires a standard load of depleted uranium shells in the general direction of a nearby Kaiju. If it hits, it does minimal damage, but between the thunderous sound, the muzzle flash and the multiple impacts, it tends to gain the beasts attention. If the tech proves to be viable, additional shell types may become available in the future. (I’m picturing a tanking ability here more than an actual attack, something to draw attention from less durable or disabled Jaegers.)

Auxiliary systems:
    Heavy Boot: Utilizes a localized gravity field to enhance the Jaegers effective mass, rooting it to the ground and insuring good footing while engaging a Kaiju. The jaeger’s Weight score is added to all Grapple and Trip checks, at the cost of 1” movement when activated and a 1” penalty to each additional movement die rolled.

Signature Ability:
    Charging takedown.
    Hyperion Mammoth pushes its systems well past any theoretical redline and charges at the targeted Kaiju, moving up to twice its current free movement speed (8” normally, 6” if Heavy Boot is activated). If HM reaches melee range with the targeted kaiju, it will make a grapple attempt, followed by a standard melee attack. During the grapple attempt, the kaiju cannot add its strength modifier due to the unexpected nature of the attack.

And holy crap it's almost midnight. Time flies, I guess.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    oh dang, this looks pretty cool, Halos!

looks like there's already a bunch of signups though so I'll just be over here with some popcorn 8->

i'm going to take this opportunity to mention that there's a rule in the movie universe that jaegers don't share name components, so that people can name their Jaegers accordingly

so, for example, the official novelization only Tango Tasmania's name isn't canon for the movie because it shares a name with Coyote Tango, who showed up in the movie

full list of official Jaeger names
    Brawler Yukon
    Nova Hyperion
    Gipsy Danger
    Romeo Blue
    Horizon Brave
    Solar Prophet
    Puma Real (pronounced ray-al)
    Vulcan Specter
    Shaolin Rogue
    Echo Saber
    Eden Assassin
    Coyote Tango
    Cherno Alpha
    Striker Eureka
    Crimson Typhoon
    Tacit Ronin
    Matador Fury
    Hydra Corinthian
    Chrome Brutus
    Mammoth Apostle
    Diablo Intercept
    questionable canonicity: Lucky Seven, Herc's first Jaeger in the book, name isnt rulebreaking, Herc has a seven insignia on his jacket in the movie
    non-canon: Tango Tasmania

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Well, if everyone else is doing it, who am I to refuse?

We need a K-Science team. And nothing says morally ambiguous science like creepy twins.
    Shatterdome employee profiles

Jonathan and Shelley Morgan
    Birthplace: Redmond Washington
    Age: 24 (Shelly is allegedly five minutes older, although no records available verify the claim)
    Biography: The twin hellspawn (their words, not mine) of a software engineer and a nurse, the Morgan family lead a comfortable middle class existence until 2013 and K day. It's rare to find a family that continued without changes, but their father, Dr. Samuel Morgan, took the events... worse than the average. When the BuenaKai religion was founded, he became a prominent adherent, speaking publicly on the frailties of humanity and the inevitability of Kaiju "cleansing the Earth of its impurities". (You might remember him from his suggestions that drift technology, if "liberated" from its heretical users, could bond humanity together to produce a hive mind worthy of understanding "higher forms of life".) This lead to his divorce in 2016. A jury allowed him partial custody, which he used to "educate" his children in the "mysteries of the Great Ones". Elizabeth Morgan took a medical position with the Pan Pacific Defense Corps in 2018.

They did not come from a happy home. (There has been no contact between Jonathan or Shelley and their father since their enrollment in the Jaeger academy.)

Shelley Morgan first came to Pan Pacific Defense Corps attention in 2020 with a paper on hypothetical Kaiju human drift phenomena. Although somewhat derivative of earlier Gieszler studies, it made her one of the few scientists to follow up on his work.

She enrolled in the Jaeger Academy in 2021 with her brother. The pair had remarkable drift compatability, but poor performance in Jaeger training combined with obvious potential in the K-Science division to ensure the pair would not be fielded in actual combat.

Considering the reports from other candidates who drifted with the twins, this is probably for the best.

Jonathan Morgan
    "All I'm saying is, it's not that bad yet."
    Stat block:
    Resilience: 1
    Mind: 4
    Major trait: Hands on student. Jonathan doesn't really believe in things when they're just on paper. He lives for firsthand experience. On the upside, this means he's a miracle worker with a sample (and he's not bad at do-it-yourself assembly projects). On the downside, he's kind of horrible with paperwork and abstract theory.
    Minor traits: Kaiju enthusiast, bug collector, creepy twin, optimist, biologist

Shelley Morgan:
    "There's a really thin line between 'You're a genius, Shelley' and 'God help us, what is she doing now'. I like to think this falls on the first side, but really. I have No Idea."
    Stat block:
    Resilience: 1
    Mind: 4
    Major trait: Self motivating. Shelley takes "impossible" in about the same sense a small child takes a dare. For good and ill.
    Minor traits: Creepy twin, optimist, family issues, hummingbird mind, Jaeger fangirl

Didn't include Jaeger stats for obvious reasons.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'd be up for this. Seems popular enough that we could have two games.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Oh, so many responses <3<3

I should probably have mentioned that I'm running on UK time here (GMT+0) so I might not be able to answer your questions all that promptly.

@DaMoonRulz: No there's no minimum for pilot stats, and no penalty for having a 0 stat other than making it harder to make checks using that stat.
    There's only a minimum on the Jaeger Power stat because without Power you can't do anything, otherwise you can stick your stat points wherever you like.

@Antimatter has the best Jaeger name so far.
    Your stuff looks mostly good Anti.
    The 'Sonic' effect might need a little tweaking; lowering Agility and lowering Movement are two different things in an actual battle, although they are related in stat-generation. I'd suggest either a permenant -1" movement to the target or a temporary -2". (You'll be able to upgrade the effectiveness of special effects later on to make them more powerful.)
    Also Signature Abilities can be made pretty crazy, I'll talk about them further down this post and you might want to consider modifying yours.
    Apart from that it all looks fine, you just need a Neural Link Synergy and to think up some mechanical effects for your Major Traits and you'll be good to go I think.

@SirEtchwarts; character backgrounds look fine to me, can't see any problems with them.

@see317; I should perhaps warn you that if things do get especially min/max-y you're likely to run into a number of Kaiju curiously designed to neutralise your advantages :p
    Are the Heavy Boots bonuses for resisting or attempting trip/grapple checks? Also I would perhaps have the negative movement modifiers being equal to your weight, to match the positive modifiers.
    Love your Neural Bridge Synergy by the way.
    Oh, and strictly speaking there's already a Jaeger with Hyperion in it's name, personally I don't mind that much; it's not very likely that we'll run into Nova Hyperion during the course of the game (not least 'cos I don't know anything about it) but just so your aware.

@chiasaur11; convienently enough I actually don't have any npc science guys drawn up so you're welcome to take that position. The less npc dialog I have to write the better :)

@Daypigeon, @Fencingsax; if you still want to play I think it should be fine. There are what, 3 people with Jaegers so far, plus science guys. If things get to cramped than yeah, the game could split that'd be fine.
    Or, the systems not especially complicated if someone wants to try GMing another game, could have some players in a competing Jaeger program.

Signature Abilities

Alright, these aren't covered properly in the rules 'cos they're really something that doesn't fit into that framework.
    Basically this is a cool anime power your Jaeger can do, it's built into it's action figure, your sponsors love it etc.
    Now you might be thinking; 'but Halos! If I want to do something cool then I can just fluff it into my regular attacks!' Which is very true, but a signature ability is a sort of way to twist the rules towards your playstyle.

For example I'll just use the 3 Jaegers the system was tested with.
    Behemoth Red had the devastating Million-Man Punch, cylindrical rotaries in it's arms driving it's fists at enormous speeds. Mechanically this was represented by a special attack which generated D10 free dice. Any of those dice which rolled a 9+ would then deal automatic damage to the target with no defense allowed.
    Majestic Sun could release a Leo-Class attack drone which could than act independantly for a turn and generated it's own dice pool/stats.
    Banshee Storm had a Sonic Screech ability which would debuff any Kaiju within a limited radius.

Then with those basic abilities I drew up some sort of Talent Tree style things which would alter the properties of the Signature Ability, for example by the end of playing Million-Man Punch was generating 2D10 dice which hit on 6+s and Behemoth Red could burn excess Power dice to make the attacks even more likely to hit, and other similarly fun effects.

see317's is pretty good, it fits the Jaeger theme and also helps to temporarily negate it's low speed.
    Antimatter's description is good, that's exactly the sort of thing a Signature Ability should be like, but mechanically it could basically be reproduced by any Jaeger with a Pressure Strike/Tripping weapon. Which is fine, but there's scope to change it to something more exciting if you want.

Hopefully that covers some unclear things, if anyone's got anything else they need to ask then feel free of course.

Halos Nach Tariff on
    @see317; I should perhaps warn you that if things do get especially min/max-y you're likely to run into a number of Kaiju curiously designed to neutralise your advantages :p
    Are the Heavy Boots bonuses for resisting or attempting trip/grapple checks? Also I would perhaps have the negative movement modifiers being equal to your weight, to match the positive modifiers.
    Love your Neural Bridge Synergy by the way.
    Oh, and strictly speaking there's already a Jaeger with Hyperion in it's name, personally I don't mind that much; it's not very likely that we'll run into Nova Hyperion during the course of the game (not least 'cos I don't know anything about it) but just so your aware.
    Hence why I tried to limit my min/maxiness. If Striker Eureka had kept that in mind, maybe Leatherback wouldn't have had a built in EMP weapon designed specifically to take it down in the movie.

I had hoped that heavy boots could work both offensively and defensively, like the Gravity Jets in the example Systems (though those only apply to Trip checks, and have no associated penalty). My thinking was that the impact to speed would balance the added grappling bonus. I'll edit in the increased speed penalty in a bit. Wasn't sure what would be too small or too large of a penalty for that system.

Strictly speaking, Mammoth has also been used by Mammoth Apostle. Guess I need to rename my Jaeger.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The Gravity Jets actually only work offensively, it's uh, it's not very clear in the rules I admit.
    So yeah, if you pick either an offensive or defensive buff for now that'd be great, although I've got no problems if you want to upgrade the system to work on both checks in the future.
    And come to think of it if the boots are just an auxiliary system (so you just activate them when wanted) you don't really need a negative modifier, that's more for the permenant support system effects. The negative movement is fluffy however if you want to keep it, I'd be fine with it at -1 movement on a temporary auxiliary system probably.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Oh God

Please tell me that I can still sign up for this, I don't care if I'm that goofy grease monkey with the suspenders and the Elvis hair

You have no idea how much I want this

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Or if it's too late for my own entry, I'll be a partner with @DaMoonRulz if he doesn't already have one

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Pilots
    Name: Xiang Mei
    Stat Block
    Strength 1
    Agility 2
    Resilience 2
    Mind 3
    Major Trait: Family Woman
    Minor Trait: engineering osmosis, irrepressible, try anything once

History

Name: Bridgette Martel
    Stat Block
    Strength 1
    Agility 2
    Resilience 3
    Mind 2
    Major Trait: Glory Hound
    Minor Trait: taciturn, take the last turn, emotional wall, something to prove

Neural Bridge Synergy: Skirmish Fever
    Between the excitement and determination, the Jaeger's pilots are able to react quicker than normal, and may add 1 to an agility roll once per battle.

History:
    Bridgette Martel never lets anyone see how much she likes to laugh. The only one who knows, of course, is her co-pilot Xian Mei. Bridgette wants to show the world that just because her Jaeger is not a national one, and just because she is technically a company employee, it does not make her or her Jaeger any less of an asset to the planet. She knows how the others look down on her, assuming that she can't hold her own in a fight. She, Xian, and Meteor Cataphract are going to prove them wrong.

Xian's sister Yua Mei joined the Jaeger engineering and maintenance division, and Xian was just as determined to show her stuff. Unfortunately, while she knew bits and bobs from helping Yua study, she didn't have the technical aptitude for the same path. She was able to join with the manufacturer that constructed some of the minor drive components, and when a call went out to test Bridge compatibility and piloting disposition, her name came out, to everyone's surprise, including her own. Now she is able to protect her sister, and is prepared to do anything to defend her home against the Kaiju.

Brought together by a novel multi-national, privately owned, Jaeger co-operative (including board members from Ireland, France and several other countries), Bridgette Martel and Xian Mei had the highest drift compatibility seen in their specially chosen pool of applicants. Instead of belonging to any specific nation, the Jaeger Meteor Cataphract was a reminder and advertisement for the industries committed to building the Jaeger, reminding people that it isn't just the nations protecting them, but the companies and manufacturing giants that were responsible for building them as well. Thus, while they have the same training and responsibilites as other Jaeger pilots, their structure and command style is different than what most others are used to. When the entire Jaeger program is centralized [is this taking place during the movies?], Xian and Bridgette must adapt, and prove that they are just as good as any other team on the field.

Jaeger: Meteor Cataphract
    Mk: I (10 pts)
    Strength:2
    Armor: 2
    Power: 5 (4+1 free point)
    Weight: 0
    Bonuses:

Qualities: Meteor Cataphract is a balanced Jaeger, able to handle almost any scenario with grace and poise.

Weaponry:Impact Drill
    Range: Melee
    Special Effect: The impact drill is specially designed to punch through a kaiju's tough hide. Wielded similarly to a pike, it stabs into the flesh of the beast, hopefully neutralizing its rampage.

Acid Ordinance
    Range: 2”
    Projectile: Solid State
    Special Effects:Fires a solid bubble of corrosive material that liquifies when it hits its target, splashing the kaiju with caustic material. It eats through their armor, and lowers it by 1.

Auxiliary systems: Kinetic Drivers
    Specially designed systems that enables the Jaeger to move faster and stronger. Can add a +1 to either Strength or Agility Rolls

Signature Ability: Riposte Blast
    Meteor Cataphract is able to deflect an attack, and immediately counter with it's Acid Ordinance. Add Strength to Armor roll for the deflect, and auto hit for the counter [I have no idea if this is workable, so let me know if you want to change it]

This is obviously a WIP (need to get my traits down), but I just want to know if I'm heading in the right direction.

Fencingsax on
    edited September 2013
    Disco Neon draft 2
    Michelle Tallon- History: A Californian native, she's been described as possessing nothing less than technopathic abilities and an eidetic memory. Tallon's able to remember pretty much every piece of information that enters her brain, and interact with technology better than anyone else she knows, able to keep up with the best of the Jaeger techs. Swift in movement, sure in action, she composes and listens to nothing less than the loudest and fastest music. She was aching for payback after San Fran was totaled by Trespasser, and eventually managed to get a position as a pilot thanks to a German assembling company. Although she's easily startled, she's so confident in her abilities to interact with machines that she would try to solo-pilot a Jaeger, even if she isn't actually capable. Secretly resents not being able to be a Ranger in the PPDC.

Appearance: Michelle is 6'0”, and skinny as a rail. Brunette with blue eyes, she's keenly focused on whatever she's doing at the time. Her face is all angles, with a sharp chin. A fan of dark jackets and pants, she doesn't have time to make herself up, and wouldn't even if she did.

Born: August 30th, 2000.
    Resilience:0
    Mind: 5
    Major Trait: Technology Whisperer: +2 to rolls involving technology usage.
    Minor Traits: Music Aficionado, Twitchy, Confident, Chip on Her Shoulder

Jane Walker- History: An idealistic young woman from Canada, Jane spent much of her youth in her older brother's junkyard, rubbing elbows with his clients and learning as much as she could about Jaegers and Jaeger repair. At the age of 12, she cobbled together what she thought a Jaeger Conn-Pod should look like, loaded with monitors and controls. When not studying, tinkering, or reading for fun, she is easily bored and depressed. Around other people or in the company of literature and technology, she lights up like an LED array. Jane applied for the PPDC every year as soon as she was old enough, but she got rejected every time. She wasn't as coordinated, strong, or fast as others. Only recently did her intelligence earn her a chance, thanks to the private company created Jaegers. She doesn't give up, and was assigned a partner and Jaeger that suits her philosophy.

Appearance: Jane is 5'3", and a bit on the round side. She is blonde, and has green eyes. She's constantly thinking, and she always looks distracted. She doesn't wear makeup, and has a round face with freckles. She wears loose sweaters and skirts in civilian life, preferring brighter colors.

Born: March 28th, 2004.
    Strength: 0
    Agility: 0
    Resilience:3
    Mind: 5
    Major Trait: Strong Willed: +1 to Solo Pilot rolls, +1 to enemy damage rolls taken during Solo Piloting
    Minor Traits: Talkative, Lonesome, Well-Read, Tinkerer

Neural Bridge Synergy: Never Give Up- if their piloted Jaeger would be taken out of the battle, roll a D10. On a 6 or greater, the Jaeger can perform its signature move once without penalty against the closest enemy, even if it has already been used.

Jaeger: Disco Neon- Mark 1
    Created by a German initiative, coded by Tallon and designed by Walker. A teal and pink giant with sonic based weaponry. Possesses a Conn-Pod with a segmented visor and faceplate. She's fleet of feet- Tallon requested that Neon be capable of moving like she belonged on a dance floor.

Armour: 1
    Power: 4
    Weight: -1

Weaponry:
    HLM Hydrogen Blades +1
    Melee

Supersonic Scattercannon
    Ranged
    Range 1
    Projectile Type: Energy
    Special Effect: Sonic- Disorienting an enemy Kaiju's balance, a successful hit with a Sonic weapon will temporarily lower the target's Movement stat by 2”.

Auxiliary System: Gyroscopic Feet
    The Jaeger may add their Agility modifier to Defensive rolls against Tripping.

Signature Ability: Rhythmic Breakdown
    Melee
    Disco Neon's Scattercannon and Hydrogen Blades retract, and in their place pop out drumstick like batons. Disco Neon then proceeds to turn enemy Kaiju into impromptu drum kits and cymbals, hitting harder and faster than a broken drum machine in a chaotic, unpredictable onslaught. When finished, the batons retract and Neon's standard armaments pop back out.

On a successful hit that's an odd number, the enemy kaiju falls prone. On a successful hit that's an even number, Disco Neon adds 2 to the damage result.

Antimatter on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Just want to point out to see317 to that if your pilot is Ben Reilly, the 'Shot Cannon' should instead be wrist mounted and called 'Spider Stingers'
    Scarlet01_zpsc320183c.gif

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    So uh I'll just leave this here

(stats forthcoming)

@Farangu; I think there are 4 Jaegers being built now, which is probably enough (although feel free to make one anyway in case someone drops out/I think there are too few players/I feel sorry for you) but you are still welcome to make a base staff character, or characters I guess, if you want, that's fine. Or teaming up with DaMoonRulz should prove interesting if they're still up for it.

@Fencingsax; Meteor Cataphract, yesssss, good name.
    With those stats your weight should by 1, not 0.
    Everything else looks good to me.

@Antimatter; Major traits don't have to be combat related, if you prefer you could have 'Technology Whisperer' simply provide a flat +2 to any checks involving fixing/understanding machinery or similar. Also traits don't strictly need a downside, but it does help round things out so I've got no real problem with it.
    Sonic is fine now, Signature Ability is great, everything looks pretty good to me.

A note on weapon creation

This is another thing not really spelled out in the rules which could perhaps stand to be clearer.
    Lots of you are adding special effects to your weaponry, something I don't have a problem with, but I just want to make sure you're aware of the options available.
    A generic 'melee' weapon on a Mark 1 Jaeger would be a simple ([Weapon Name]+1), the +1 signifying the damage modifier that weapon grants. If you'd prefer to stick a special effect on a weapon then you won't be getting that +1 damage because your weapon will then just be ([Weapon Name][Effect]).
    It's not a hard rule but I tend to limit upgrading weapons based on a Jaegers Mark, so a Mark III Jaeger might have a ([Weapon Name]+3), or a ([Weapon Name][Effect+3]) or even a ([Weapon Name][Effect]+2).
    So ultimately adding weapon effects limits the damage you'll be doing but grants whatever bonuses your effect allows. This won't show up at lower levels but may make a difference at higher ones where damage and effects are more powerful.

Ranged weapons work on a similar system but don't normally get a flat damage modifier when upgraded, instead upgrading the maximum potential, or average, damage by changing the type or number of dice rolled.

radddd ok, altering the sheet for tech whisperer and the blades