As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving!

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    you shouldn't

work out an arrangement on what is a good temp for the house, and remind her that she is gonna want the heat in winter since she is naturally cold and that you won't be asking for an uneven split then

unless you live in a place with no winter in which case just work out an agreeable temp for the house

cause unless you're running a mini fridge farm or something the power bill should split evenly

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Can I get a third party opinion in a fight me and my roommate are having?

We got our first power bill and it is pretty substantial, we agreed on 50/50 on all bills when we moved in. She wants to pay 60/40 on it because I accidentally leave some lights on and use the AC. She is naturally cold and has a fan in her room while I do not, but when I do use the AC it is only till it is cooled off and only to around 75. I do leave lights on sometimes but not for anymore than an hour or two at max and I apologized and said I will do better. I am sticking by our 50/50 agreement as A) setting a precedent for her paying less would be bad and B) the difference would be 20 bucks and no way I used 20 dollars worth of lights.

Am I in the wrong?

$200 in a month? Is it really humid in your apartment? Is your a/c draining properly? How large is your apartment? AC can take a LOT of power depending on circumstances but even running our wall unit nearly 24/7 for a month and that's with a faulty drain that backed up water into our apartment and intensely strained the AC unit we were only up to $137 (ours is included in rent and NYSEG won't tell me what we pay per kwh so I can't tell you exactly where I'm at per kwh) and dropped the apartment from outside temps of 88-100 degrees to indoor temps of 68-70 most days. Regular electric usage without the AC in my apartment complex is <$40 per apartment per month with an electric stove, fridge, lights, three computers, a constantly running fan, tv, two consoles, etc (water heater and heat are gas, provided by complex). Before we had AC unit problems our electric bill with "occasional usage" of the AC/15 days of AC useage was $70. We've got what they say is a 700sq foot apartment though I'd probably put it at closer to 600. If you're running ac or electric heat pretty high constantly yeah it can add up. If $20 is going to seriously strain your relationship with your roommate in your first two months, better to eat the cost, just mention that you're not planning on doing a 60/40 split again... also if she runs cold, what's going to happen in winter when your heating costs strain the bill? Is she going to pay more of it then?

I guess the bigger issue is more that she really wants to fight with you over a $10 difference in what she would have to pay and that's sorta shitty? Or am I misunderstanding how much your electric bill was.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    You might have used 20 dollars worth of AC if she doesn't use it at all, that adds up fast. Maybe it's not completely unreasonable for her to ask you to pay more if you actually definitely use more?
    She also uses AC occasionally, not as often, but more importantly she has a fan installed in her room and I have nothing. I don't think I should have to pay extra because I got the room with no fan.

I'd say "prove it with kill-a-watt or GTFO", but this is roommate peace we're talking about. It's a red flag for the future though.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    We definitely live in a place with winter, so will do.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    cabsy wrote: »

We got our first power bill and it is pretty substantial, we agreed on 50/50 on all bills when we moved in. She wants to pay 60/40 on it because I accidentally leave some lights on and use the AC. She is naturally cold and has a fan in her room while I do not, but when I do use the AC it is only till it is cooled off and only to around 75. I do leave lights on sometimes but not for anymore than an hour or two at max and I apologized and said I will do better. I am sticking by our 50/50 agreement as A) setting a precedent for her paying less would be bad and B) the difference would be 20 bucks and no way I used 20 dollars worth of lights.

Am I in the wrong?

$200 in a month? Is it really humid in your apartment? Is your a/c draining properly? How large is your apartment? AC can take a LOT of power depending on circumstances but even running our wall unit nearly 24/7 for a month and that's with a faulty drain that backed up water into our apartment and intensely strained the AC unit we were only up to $137 (ours is included in rent and NYSEG won't tell me what we pay per kwh so I can't tell you exactly where I'm at per kwh) and dropped the apartment from outside temps of 88-100 degrees to indoor temps of 68-70 most days. Regular electric usage without the AC in my apartment complex is <$40 per apartment per month with an electric stove, fridge, lights, three computers, a constantly running fan, tv, two consoles, etc (water heater and heat are gas, provided by complex). Before we had AC unit problems our electric bill with "occasional usage" of the AC/15 days of AC useage was $70. We've got what they say is a 700sq foot apartment though I'd probably put it at closer to 600. If you're running ac or electric heat pretty high constantly yeah it can add up. If $20 is going to seriously strain your relationship with your roommate in your first two months, better to eat the cost, just mention that you're not planning on doing a 60/40 split again... also if she runs cold, what's going to happen in winter when your heating costs strain the bill? Is she going to pay more of it then?

I guess the bigger issue is more that she really wants to fight with you over a $10 difference in what she would have to pay and that's sorta shitty? Or am I misunderstanding how much your electric bill was.
    Nah, it is 168. I also thought it was rather high and will go to the leasing office and ask around about possible leaks. I wouldn't be surprised as our previous unit had issues. Admittedly it has been 95ish outside until , like, Saturday.

I agree that an extra 20 bucks isn't that much but I don't want to set a precedent for her paying less. She already got angry bebecause I bought GTA instead of a kitchen table. We have a small apartment and already have a sizable coffee table so I am not really dying for one but she wants one to study on. I said I would pay half if she found a reasonable cheap one but wasn't okay with her getting angry because I bought something for myself instead of a piece of furniture she wants. She also pulled the I BOUGHT EVERYTHING card meanwhile I have cooked dinner every night for two weeks using my food and own and bought the majority of furniture and all of the cookware/dishes (including the 300 dollar TV and 100 dollar stand). She bought a 45 dollar couch, a trash can and a broom.

Bluh, ranting.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah, you need to nip that in the bud. One approach (no clue since I've never been there, but...) would be to sit down with her and total up what everyone brought for the common areas and what you've spent on food to illustrate that you are "equal". Also have her understand that you are not her significant other, so you have no obligation to do what she wants.

• Options
    She got very rude and was yelling FUCK YOU FUCK YOU, etc. And stormed out shortly after so I will hope she is calming down and we can talk later.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    wait, you're having screaming fights a few months into a house sharing arrangement?

get out as soon as possible. She sounds like a nightmare. I don't care what the situation is, you don't scream abuse at your housemate.

• Options
    Got a year lease, sadly.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    :?

I gotta feeling you're gonna find this a long year.
    Is there provision to break the lease if you line up a replacement housemate? That's pretty standard.

• Options
    There is, but everyone I know has already found a place to live and the semester is already underway.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    That is ridiculous of her

Just pay your half and don't engage her unless she starts taking the common areas hostage or something, there is no good reason for all that carrying on

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tell her to buy her own fucking dining table while you're at it

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »

Am I in the wrong?

Nah, it is 168. I also thought it was rather high and will go to the leasing office and ask around about possible leaks. I wouldn't be surprised as our previous unit had issues. Admittedly it has been 95ish outside until , like, Saturday.

I agree that an extra 20 bucks isn't that much but I don't want to set a precedent for her paying less. She already got angry bebecause I bought GTA instead of a kitchen table. We have a small apartment and already have a sizable coffee table so I am not really dying for one but she wants one to study on. I said I would pay half if she found a reasonable cheap one but wasn't okay with her getting angry because I bought something for myself instead of a piece of furniture she wants. She also pulled the I BOUGHT EVERYTHING card meanwhile I have cooked dinner every night for two weeks using my food and own and bought the majority of furniture and all of the cookware/dishes (including the 300 dollar TV and 100 dollar stand). She bought a 45 dollar couch, a trash can and a broom.

Bluh, ranting.

I know you know but literally every part of this is a big NOPE on all levels! Like all advice from this point forward is just minimizing how much bullshit you're going to endure over the next 11 months. Best wishes that it's just school+just moved stress and she stops being a shit soon

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Part of this might also be a power play of: If I freak out at him now he's just going to decide it's easier to do what I want in the future.

I would not suggest this if I hadn't worked in Res Life for about four years.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    since when is $20 worth screaming about?

$20 isn't even worth looking up from my laptop. It's a utility bill, not a mortgage.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Stale, I'm going to need you to send me twenty bucks.

Every hour.

On the hour.

• Options
    :whistle: what's a place like this, doing in a girl like me :whistle:

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Unless you are in a relationship with that person you have no obligation to buy furniture for their convenience.

Also I would totally not split the cost of a table with her if I were you because that will just be a shitshow down the road divvying things up. Let one of you buy a cheap ass Goodwill table down the road for like forty dollars or whatever. Then it's one person's table to throw out or keep as they will.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    tl;dr tell that bitch to get a desk

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    ...says the girl sitting on her floor

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    Craigslist can be a really good place to find decent furniture. Always people moving out needing to get rid of stuff.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    Craigslist can be a really good place to find decent furniture. Always people moving out needing to get rid of stuff.

Especially around the end of a semester if you're in a college town.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Craigslist seems a bit fancy. When I decided to replace my original TV stand (it was a cardboard box) I found a tallboy downstairs, kicked it apart and together with two old PC cases had myself a new entertainment unit. Pretty fancy.

I retired it when I moved here.. I upgraded to the bottom section of my old wardrobe. The top section is a drying rack in the back room.

pimento on
  • Options
    Also, since she sounds rather immature, you may want to make sure you have lockable storage for your valuable stuff, so she doesn't go off, get drunk and vandalize your shit.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    You should probably do everything you can now to cover your ass/protect your stuff now, because she sounds like she has high roommate-from-Hell potential.

Do you have renter's insurance? (Does renter's insurance even cover acts of roommate? I should really check my policy, but I live with my sister and she's, like, extraordinarily sane.)

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Started looking for smaller places to see if I could find a 3bd/2ba that had the updates I would want.

YUP Really kinda digging this, plus the neighbors are far enough away to never, ever have to interact with them.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    Started looking for smaller places to see if I could find a 3bd/2ba that had the updates I would want.

YUP Really kinda digging this, plus the neighbors are far enough away to never, ever have to interact with them.

holy shit that looks great

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular

The real American dream: getting the fuck away from your neighbors/housemates/people in general.

• Options
    All I'm saying is that if I could live in the back-country and still have a good internet pipe, no one would ever see me again

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    a whole acre, good stuff

i want to see whatever badass lawnmower you get to mow it

• Options
    ok so I started this thread when I was prepping to move to England. it would be totally poetic if it ended with me prepping to leave england, but sadly life is not that fortuitous so instead I'm gonna try and put some pics of my NEW new apartment in before this is shut.

There's still a bunch of stuff I need to do (get rid of coffee table, hang more paintings, sell some random junk on ebay) but I've finally got rid of the most intrusive layer of my landlady's crap, so this is my downstairs

Pf1Oaed.jpg

FB6bSJb.jpg

(horrible carpet is not mine)

BZnPAe4.jpg

kitchen (v blue, small, dull):

koXDF0i.jpg

And this is the spare room/study/sewing room

aUpX8gp.jpg

(my bedroom needs some work before I'm willing ot let people see it).

It has a great view from the balcony which for some reason I have not yet taken a photo of. But here's a pic of the balcony itself from the day I moved in, with a bunch of drunken faceless assistants.

FfsM0y2.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    ok so I started this thread when I was prepping to move to England. it would be totally poetic if it ended with me prepping to leave england, but sadly life is not that fortuitous

Ouch

• Options
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    franziskaner? good taste

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    We are 5 days from closing, we were cleared to close (after getting approval two months ago) , and now the lender is demanding last minute information. Why can't these guys manage this process in a normal fashion...

• Options
    whelp, mah dog has ensured that i will not be getting my deposit back for my apartment

ate an entire square foot of carpet in a window of about 5 minutes

it's not enough to have 36 stuffed animals and 8 bones, no. he must eat 1000000% marked up apartment carpet

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

This place looks pretty much perfect, except for those cupboards. Repaint over that 'distressed antique look' shit and it's a 10.

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    Ganluan wrote: »
    We are 5 days from closing, we were cleared to close (after getting approval two months ago) , and now the lender is demanding last minute information. Why can't these guys manage this process in a normal fashion...

Thanks to some scrambling we have managed to get what the lender wanted and should still be able to close on time. I'm relieved, but that was a shitload of stress over a 48 hour period trying to straighten everything out.

• Options
    i had a pretty good closing experience... no last minute shit at all

surprised, really