As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, by Level Up Labs, LLC

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I got it from the main site with one of the free codes. I don't see it in my inbox, and my spam doesn't go back that far, of course. Darn :(

Oh well, it's still a fantastic game :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Oh, I doubt you can translate it to a Steam copy if you got it via a free code. He could only send out the Steam codes to people he had registered e-mails for and such from where they bought it.

I imagine it'll be on sale during the summer sale.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• larsiusprimelarsiusprime Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    That's what support pages are for!
    http://www.defendersquest.com/support.html

Go here and enter the original email address you ordered from, if you remember it:
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/keyresender

Your steam key should pop out. If you don't remember your email address, follow the instructions on our support page. People who used free codes still had to provide an email address for us to send the goodies to, so you should be on record somewhere.

larsiusprime on
    Let me just say that you are pretty much the best person ever! :D

Steam profile
    I'd edit, but at this point I'm not sure anyone would see it.

Are cloud-saves a feature now? I know you were at least thinking about them at some point, but I dunno if that ever got implemented. It'd be really nice to be able to play this on two different computers though

Steam profile
    Yes, they are; for the steam version anyway. Can't speak for the others.

Not entirely sure they're working 100% correctly though. I loaded the game up the other day to check on something and when I quit I got the usual steam sync thing for a cloud game. But next time I loaded it up, it gave me that steam cloud error you get sometimes where the file on steam didn't match the file on my computer or somesuch.

This is maybe related?

I don't remember ever having to manually save, but every time I quit after playing a level, it gives me the notice that there was a conflict, and I think no matter which one I pick (Cloud or Computer), none of my progress was saved. Am I missing something here?

It found my save from pre-Steam and I continued that, would that be causing any problems?

Glad to say that the writing and gameplay are as fun and awesome as I remember :D

Steam profile
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    In any case, I'm pretty sure it is just a basic text file. At least it was when I was playing it a bunch.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    In any case, I'm pretty sure it is just a basic text file. At least it was when I was playing it a bunch.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    We just posted a full sales stat breakdown on Gamasutra:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/186940/defenders_quest_by_the_numbers_.php

Bottom line:
    Gross: $286,646
    Sales: 40,451

We would never have had the confidence to do this without other developers who have shared their stats in the past, so it's only fair we share our numbers now.

Chief takeaways:
    • Direct sales are still #2 source of overall revenue
    • GOG is a viable (albeit small) competitor to Steam
    • Browser based demo was key to our success
    • Desura/Impulse were a disappointment

Your results may vary, this is just one data point and there's still no proof that we have any idea what we're doing. Hopefully this information helps someone!

Interesting comparing your demo experience with Jesse Schell's findings at D.I.C.E, featured in the PA Report, that having a demo can actually depress sales (or is at least strongly correlated with lower revenue). Maybe exportable progress is the secret sauce?

Late thanks for posting your sales data and congratulations!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    I think the secret is, make sure your game is good first, and then the demo will sell it. :P

Yeah, as I said before, I was addicted to the demo. I might not have taken a chance on it without that.

Oh my goodness. New Game+ is hard

I guess I have to go back and grind some levels? I think I'm stuck, fairly early in the game too :/

Steam profile
    Whoa, people having trouble with cloud saves? If any of you want to write up some reports of what's happened, that'd be much appreciated. As you can imagine, this error can be a teeny bit difficult to reproduce.

Best format:
    -Steps to consistently reproduce the bug
    -What you expected to happen
    -What happened instead

CAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaards!

And three golden men. :(:(:(

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Exact same thing happened to me.

We're on sale on Steam for 67% off today ($4.95 USD)!

Buy direct and get a steam key too:
    https://www.defendersquest.com/buy.html

Or get it directly on Steam:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410/

This release celebrates Steam Workshop integration, so now you can go totally nuts with making and sharing mods. We even made an example mod, "Super Space Defenders!"
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...s/?id=155176929

Steam Workshop:
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=218410

Also if you like trading cards, now's a good time to get in, as our game supports them.

Thanks for everything y'all!

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I noticed that selling cards gives a % to the developer, as well as steam.

You have been pretty open about financials and such, I am curious as to the increase in sales due to becoming a trading card game (if any) and how much $ you're making just from sales of your cards in the marketplace.

Also, do we have a timeframe on Defender's Quest II yet? I need it, Lars. Need it so bad.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    I just wanted to stop in to say this has been a great game. I got it during one of your sale events and just went through it. Like Tehspectre above, I need to know about the next game!

We'll make the Defender's Quest 2 announcement as soon as we have locked down a few things. Soon.

As for trading cards, I've seen the little developer fee thing too, but there's no official word from Valve yet, and I don't see anything in my back end developer reports for it yet. That doesn't rule out the possibility that it's a new feature they're adding, though.

So uh...

I wouldn't complain if you guys actually developed Super Space Defenders.

Just sayin!

:P

Defender's Quest is on sale as part of the Summer Sale, it's 67% off. We've also got those crazy trading cards everybody seems to want.

On Steam:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410/

Direct from us (DRM Free + provides a Steam Key):
    http://www.defendersquest.com/buy.html

edited July 2013
    Just updated all our builds to 1.0.98.

Changelog:
    --Can set custom mod/save directories
    --Mods can be reloaded from title
    --Fixed many localization bugs
    --Many improvements to mod support
    --Fixed cut-off skill text
    --Fixed incorrect text glitches
    --Lots of other minor bugfixes

Steam customers will get it automagically.
    Direct (defendersquest.com) customers should just have to run the game to detect, download, and install the auto-update.
    The Humble Store will soon have updated builds if you want to manually grab it from there if you bought direct from us.
    GOG has been sent the new builds, and they'll update everything soon.

For our non-Steam customers, we are now bundling the "Super Space Defenders" mod with the game on Humble Store and GOG as an extra "goodie." Since there's no Steam Workshop outside of Steam I'm not sure what the community mod-sharing solution is since I don't really want to host that stuff myself, so if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

larsiusprime on
    Thanks for the frequent updates Lars.

I look forward to hearing about your next project(s)!

Just going to leave this here:

teaser_title.jpg

More details to follow when I've got the time.

Woooooooo!

Yes!

Looking forward to hearing more.

If any of you have any questions, let me know so I can maybe answer a few things now, and also get prepared for the announcement post.

I doubt I'd have any questions you wouldn't cover; just the obvious ones like: what does it carry over from the first game as far as customization of units and AI, is it still sprite-based or more 3D, platforms, will it have multiplayer, etc.

Oh, and you know, the most important one of when can we play it?

Any answer other than "right now!" will be hard to accept. :P

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    ...is that a turtle house that is also a tank?

edited August 2013
    Okay, things we can confirm now:

0) It is a brand new story in a brand new setting with brand new characters.
    Various elements will be familiar and the mechanics will have a lot of continuity, with some things shaken up in new ways. Think the "Final Fantasy" approach to sequels.

1) Yes, that is indeed a turtle house that is also a tank.
    Although strictly speaking the creature isn't a turtle (it doesn't have a natural carapace). But yeah. Turtle House Tank. More details later.

2) Customization of units and AI
    We will use the same targeting logic system we used in the previous game, perhaps with some tweaks to fix some edge cases I was never quite happy with (looking at you, Bulldog mode. Maybe a "target THIS SPECIFIC CREEP" option)

As for the units, we're shaking some things up here. We'll post details in the final announcement post, but basically we want to emphasize customization and meaningful choices while at the same time reducing tedium and micromanagement. We've been leaning heavily on player feedback on this decision as well as our own intuitions.

3) Graphical Style:
    We are sticking with sprites, but not pixel-art. Ie, it's gonna be 2D traditional animation rather than 3D or pre-rendered 3D-as-2D. We're going for an HD-friendly art style that scales well.

The old cutscene engine will be replaced with "in-engine" cutscenes that move the sprites around various settings, with detailed character portraits for dialogue bubbles. This way, extra emotes that are put into cutscene art can be rolled back into battles and vice versa, if necessary.

4) Multiplayer:
    No plans for multiplayer, either versus, co-op, etc. Netcode ain't trivial, and there's some real design challenges in getting TD to work in multiplayer. Not saying we won't ever do it, just zero plans for it now.

5) Release Date
    2014. Almost certainly late 2014.

larsiusprime on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    All of those make me happy.

Elvenshae wrote: »
    All of those make me happy.
    Except number 5. I want this tomorrow!

But seriously, take your time and make it as good as possible.

Help a brother out with a 100% unscientific poll, will ya?

On which platform(s) would you buy Defender's Quest 2?
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1J-YSQyGivrFX1QO9vBU1njje3cmp8R8zAm-B9NR1pvQ/viewform

Helps us evaluate which platforms to consider supporting.

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Help a brother out with a 100% unscientific poll, will ya?

On which platform(s) would you buy Defender's Quest 2?
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1J-YSQyGivrFX1QO9vBU1njje3cmp8R8zAm-B9NR1pvQ/viewform

Helps us evaluate which platforms to consider supporting.

I didn't see iPhone on there. Is there some technical reason you don't think you could support it?

(I did pick it as an Other though)

I'm a PC guy, so one more data point for you!

Looking forward to a Defender's Quest 2!

wiiiuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

iPhone isn't on there (nor Android phone) because the tiny screen is just a huge interface design challenge. We'd basically have to redesign all the maps just for that form factor, so that's why it's not a main option.

That makes sense. I suppose I will accept not having it there as long as it's on the Vita :P

Steam profile
    iPhone isn't on there (nor Android phone) because the tiny screen is just a huge interface design challenge. We'd basically have to redesign all the maps just for that form factor, so that's why it's not a main option.
    That's understandable, but I'd like to see it somehow. I guess the problem is: how long do you go down that path until you realize there's no way to do it right and that the interface can only be garbage? It has the potential to be a hugely wasted effort. I think a lot of the fun I found in DQ was based on how solid the TD/RPG aspect was done mechanically, and not so much the graphics. There could be some sort of compromise there, where it's like "okay, the red squares are Barbarians, the white squares are magicians, the blue squares are knights" and then you can pause and issue commands and see the actual character there. Or something.

But I will very likely play it mostly on the PC, with an outside shot at the Vita.

I played Defenders Quest almost exclusively with the keyboard, only using the mouse for targeting spells and such. Everything else in-map was much quicker to use the hotkeys, and I'm not sure how that'd translate to anything but a PC/mac. Personally it'd be weird to play any other way.

But then again I play most TD games almost exclusively with the keyboard hotkeys, and am put off when games don't have them, or are very anemic.

But then again then again, I do also play TD games on my phone, so I know it could work, and thus why I clicked WiiU/3DS on the survey, because yay styluses!

But then again then again then again I'll buy it everywhere, so...I'm probably not the best person to ask. :P