As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vancouver BC Gatherings & Events

SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in PAX General Discussion
Alright, we've been slacking off for a while now... but that ends now!!! Time to do awesome shit with awesome people while waiting for PAX to happen!

If you have an event, please post it and I'll update the OP. All events posted here should be considered open invites to the community. If you want a more selective group, do it somewhere else. Everyone one from the PAX community is welcome here.

Friday May 10th
PEW PEW LASER TAG
Where: LaserDome
A110 - 2455 Dollarton Hwy North Vancouver, BC V7H 0A2
9pm - Midnight
$20
Going:
SmallLady
Britality
Sumi
+4
Maybe:
Danneh
Deadmetal
Haikon
Bombchelle
Bubbles

(Please post if you are driving so that people can carpool.)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
SmallLady on

• Options
    LairdLaird Registered User regular
    http://www.pacificnerdwest.com/

May 10th-12th in Bellingham WA, has everything nerds could want. Even nerd tv celebrities.

• Options
    Laird wrote: »

May 10th-12th in Bellingham WA, has everything nerds could want. Even nerd tv celebrities.

Are you trying to organize a group from Vancouver to go down?

• Options
    LairdLaird Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Laird wrote: »

Are you trying to organize a group from Vancouver to go down?

I am from Vancouver, I am one of the people heading up the event. The proceeds go towards Child's play. I suppose I could organize a group trip if people needed it.

• Options
    Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    Damn wish I had seen this beforehand that laser tag place is like 10 mins away - is it any good? Along time ago I went to one on lonsdale and another out on coquitlam

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    A. This thread needs a snappier title. Something to really draw the crowds

B. Lets start planning those pre-pax events.

Renfest starts on Thursday. I have no specific plans to go but it is an event that caters to our demographic.

I feel like events are going to be more minimal this year, at the very least we should do wings again. Shall we say Tuesday, August 27th, 6pm at Granville street?

Puttputt (minigolf), Pewpew (lasertag) and dare I say, Bowling (we can work on a snappy name later, if the event gets chosen), may also still be on the table, if only we could pick a time and a place.

To any n00bs, I can tell you from experience we are a group of very nice people, and whether this is your first time or fourteenth, we'd love to meet you prior to PAX 2013. If there are any upcoming nerdy events or you feel like planning something yourself, feel free to post. Any questions? Send me a PM, I'll be happy to help. (Although admittedly I don't check my inbox as often as I should.)

Well that is all for now. I will update as I become aware of more events around the Vancouver area.

Happy PAXing!

Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    BiweeklyAaronBiweeklyAaron Registered User regular
    My gf and I would be down for some laser tag sometime in the near future. Possibly at Planet Laser in New West? It's right by the Braid Skytrain station so it's pretty easy for people to get to.

• Options
    Hey!

In the past we've gone to LaserDome in North Vancouver, but we could look in to Planet Laser. At first glance it's looking more expensive, unless we go on Tuesday. LaserDome offers play all night for $20 after 9pm, while Planet Laser is $20 for three games usually (we usually only play four or so anyways), or $16.25 on Tuesday. It being in New West makes it easier to do dinner or drinks before or after, but if it's on a Tuesday, there won't be much time for that anyways. What do you guys think?

• Options
    Damn wish I had seen this beforehand that laser tag place is like 10 mins away - is it any good? Along time ago I went to one on lonsdale and another out on coquitlam

Sorry I missed this one, I really like it, the play all night is good if you plan on playing more than three games and I really like the layout. That being said, we may be changing the location in the future. *points up*

• Options
    Triple post, but Danny is too lazy to log in:
    Danneh wrote:
    Joseph and I talked a little about Wings this year. He thinks (and I agree) that it should move to the far more appropriate venue of EXP. Most of us hate Wings but we go every year because 1) it works for groups of our size 2) tradition. EXP is more thematic, has a wednesday wings special (so tradition can be upheld) and might actually do something cool for those making the pilgrimage to PAX if we give them a little notice.

• Options
    BiweeklyAaronBiweeklyAaron Registered User regular
    Sumi wrote: »
    Hey!

In the past we've gone to LaserDome in North Vancouver, but we could look in to Planet Laser. At first glance it's looking more expensive, unless we go on Tuesday. LaserDome offers play all night for $20 after 9pm, while Planet Laser is $20 for three games usually (we usually only play four or so anyways), or $16.25 on Tuesday. It being in New West makes it easier to do dinner or drinks before or after, but if it's on a Tuesday, there won't be much time for that anyways. What do you guys think?

I'm pretty sure they got specials on Wednesdays and Sundays too, but if we ended up going there I wouldn't really care what day, since it's a lot easier for us to get to than North Van :)

• Options
    joshanaitorjoshanaitor Registered User regular
    So what upcoming events are happening

• Options
    Right now we don't have anything locked down but there should be 2-3 events coming up next month. I just need to look at dates.

• Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    I'm always down for wings.

<@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So I made some public facebook events. :D

Pre-Pax Sports: Saturday, August 17th.
    Minimal details at the moment, more of a "save the date", but will most likely include either minigolf, dinner/drinks, bowling, or a combination of two.

FTW (For the Wings!): Tuesday, August 27th.
    Tradition dictates that the Wednesday immediately preceding PAX shall be known as For the Wings Night. But screw tradition, more people can make it on Tuesday. On this night we celebrate the coming of PAX by stuffing our faces with delicious meats and meat-like foodstuffs.
    In the event that EXP bar cannot take our reservation, the venue will instead be moved to Wings on Granville St., where the atmosphere isn't as cool but they have some tasty purple drank

If you don't have facebook, just post if you're planning to attend and I'll keep you in mind when making reservations. Hope to see you there!

Sumi on
  • Options
    joshanaitorjoshanaitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Anyone up for laser tag coming up?
    Or heading to playland?

joshanaitor on
  • Options
    Firestorm88Firestorm88 Registered User regular
    The Pokemon World Championships are in Vancouver this year so I recommend checking that out!

https://www.facebook.com/events/146466505548678/
    http://pokemonworldchampionships.com

• Options
    :O Sweet!! Thanks for the post!

Also Re: Playland. I'd LOVE to go. But my budget commands I wait until after PAX. September possibly? October? I know a lot of people love to go for frightnights. Although if you end up going beforehand, feel free to post, since others might be wanting to join.

• Options
    Heads up for those booking travel from Vancouver to Seattle: Bolt bus tickets are now available for PAX weekend. A few others and I have booked the 6:30 am trip on Thursday. Some have mentioned taking the train as an alternate route, but I don't have specifics on that yet.

• Options
    LAZER BEAMS PEW PEW!
    Aug 23rd 9pm - 12am
    FB Event

• Options
    I updated the FTW event. It is now Tuesday August 27th at 5pm. Please join the facebook page or post here if you plan to attend! Also, EXCITING details to come. Oooooooo.
    Thanks!

• Options
    Sumi wrote: »
    I updated the FTW event. It is now Tuesday August 27th at 5pm. Please join the facebook page or post here if you plan to attend! Also, EXCITING details to come. Oooooooo.
    Thanks!

ooooooo

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    oh hey! Amazing what you can find outside the PAX Prime thread... Oops
    Looks like a lot of the regular Vancouver bunch aren't on the forums this year though?

Well, see you guys at PAX I guess, unless there's some secret other area where events are being organized?

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    Hey Serenity,

We haven't been updating the OP but have still been posting events on the thread. There is one tonight actually, and then the usually FTW on the 27th.

Speaking of events, if anyone is coming to Castle Fun Park tonight who doesn't know any other attendees, feel free to send me a PM and I'll give you my # so you can text me when you arrive.

Can't wait!!

• Options
    Gamedeals.caGamedeals.ca Registered User regular
    Just wanted to extend an invitation to our Vancouver friends that might not follow us on Facebook, our PAX party this year is in a nearby Restaurant/Pub on the Friday night & we would love it if you guys joined us.

https://www.facebook.com/events/625721090780807/

GameDeals Video Games
    407 Columbia St. New Westminster (GVA)
    Just off Columbia Skytrain Station.
    http://www.gamedeals.ca
  • Options
    Raspberry JamRaspberry Jam Registered User new member
    Hey, just because PAX is most of a year away doesn't mean we stop doing interesting things, right? Anybody still up for board games? There's this board game night downtown coming up in early November. It's at Vancouver Film School's cafe so lots of interesting people go, including some game design students so there's usually a good time to be had and it would be neat to meet some more gamers. Anybody interested?