As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Text box won't go away (Computer)

CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
You know how when you put your mouse over a menu item you can't fully see, it displays the whole thing in a small text box?I have a problem where it popped up, but simply won't disappear.

Has anybody seen this before?
Below is a screenshot of what it looks like. The text box just floats there and is super annoying. Even after I shut off google chrome, it's still there.

error.png

(The thing with the 2:-02:28 just doesn't disappear)

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Potential solution:

Control Panel > All Control Panel items > Performance Information and Tools > Adjust visual effects
    (alternatively, go to the search bar in the start menu and enter adjust perf)

Uncheck "fade out menu items after clicking."
    and/or uncheck "fade or slide tooltips into view."

And see if either of those fix it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Turn off your computer and turn it on again... (If I understand correctly this is a specific rather than a general problem)

wilting on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Potential solution:

Control Panel > All Control Panel items > Performance Information and Tools > Adjust visual effects
    (alternatively, go to the search bar in the start menu and enter adjust perf)

Uncheck "fade out menu items after clicking."
    and/or uncheck "fade or slide tooltips into view."

And see if either of those fix it.

I gave it a shot, thanks.
    wilting wrote: »
    Turn off your computer and turn it on again... (If I understand correctly this is a specific rather than a general problem)

That does work, but it's very disruptive so I'd prefer to NOT have to do that. I thought my problem was somewhat common.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Does this happen every single time, all the time?

A single reboot may solve forever.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I've had this issue happen, the only real solution is to either crash explorer.exe or reboot the computer.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Geek LordGeek Lord Registered User regular
    A better temporary fix than rebooting can be to just switch to a different resolution/refresh rate and back again. If you have it as a desktop context menu option or a display icon in your system tray it becomes pretty trivial.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Have you tried completely removing and reinstalling Chrome?

steam_sig.png