As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DEXTER - Season 7 finale'd! Spoiler for those who haven't caught up. 1 season left!

1414243444547»

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I dunno, they definitely failed on a conceptual level but I would say the execution was pretty bad as well. There are several examples of laughably bad direction and writing right here in this thread. I know there's only so much a good actor and director can do with a shitty script but come on, there were some really ridiculous moments that could have been, if not changed outright, at least done competently.

For instance,
    did Dexter really need to be watching Saxon right there through the window?

Even if that's what the script explicitly called for, that's something a competent director can call bullshit on and do things their own way. Because he's/she's the director.

joshofalltrades on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Someone pointed out something I hadn't thought of:
    Dexter was traumatized as a child due to his mother being chopped up with a chainsaw right in front of him.

After faking his death, he then chooses the job that involves using chainsaws more than any other profession.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2013
    Deb became insufferable after season 5.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I don't understand all the focused Deb hate. Is it because she's been in constant opposition with the show's lead? That would make sense, since I stopped giving a shit about rooting for Dexter a long time ago. It's no secret I've also been impressed with Jennifer Carpenter, the only cast member in the past few seasons who can deliver the lines she's given and still sound like a real person.

God, if she hadn't been on the show this whole time I don't know if I could have made it through to the end.

iwantanswers3.png
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    She can't emote without crying

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yeah, she seems competent at swearing and crying and that's about it.

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    But that's one-to-two things more than everybody else.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    She caused Dexter to discover "feelings." It's not a Jennifer Carpenter hate, she did fine... it's a Deb hate.... she changed Dexter from a character we wanted to see, to the character that we were left with at the end.

For me it's more distaste for the way the actress played her than the part, actually. I think Deb is one of the more realistic and intelligent characters on the show, aside from her choice of boyfriends like Old Man Lundy, so to see Carpenter play her as someone who can't go five seconds without crying or screaming fuck for no reason was just very off-putting for me. I would have liked to see a more confident performance in a character who every other character says is strong and confident. Although now that I'm thinking about it, a lot of that is the writing calling for her to have an (understandable) emotional breakdown in the last few seasons, so I guess I just don't really know who to fault here. It's just that seeing the supposedly strongest, most rational character other than Dexter transform into a sniveling and ineffective person so abruptly was pretty jarring.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    you know uh

jennifer carpenter doesn't write the scripts

Which is why I said "I just don't really know who to fault"

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Jennifer Carpenter looks nearly identical to one of my first girlfriends

So needless to say, I've always had a thing for Jennifer Carpenter

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Apparently a new Dexter book came out a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if it's the last novel, but it's called "Dexter's Final Cut" (also being the first book to drop all the "D" alliteration).

Someone told me the ending of this book, and now I'm annoyed with the show's finale even more.

Massive (though second-hand) Spoilers regarding the latest novel!
    Ok, so Rita is still alive in the books, and so that means the kids are still around (well, I assume Cody is around, I was only told about Astor).

Anyways, I don't know the overall plot of the book, but apparently the general idea is that a movie is being made of Miami Metro after their recent solvings of some high profile serial killer cases (I assume from earlier novels), and so famous actors have been assigned to the various people who work there to shadow them and look into their lives so they can learn and then portray them in the film. This includes Dexter and Deb.

Apparently, the actor shadowing Dexter eventually turns into a killer and ends up killing the actress who was shadowing Debra (along with some other people). Dexter tries to take him down but is knocked unconscious. When he comes to, he finds the actor talking to Astor and trying to sweet talk her and make her a movie star.

Astor sees through his bullshit and kills him and frees Dexter. Dexter assesses the situation and realizes that now all the evidence points towards him having committed all the murders that the actor did. For some reason Rita is the only person that could clear Dexter's name but...it turns out the actor had already killed Rita.

Knowing this, Dexter decides to calmly sit down and wait for the cops to come and arrest him, also apparently taking credit for the death of the actor to get Astor off the hook. The end.

I don't know if there is going to be another novel, or if that's the last one, but on it's own it's definitely a better ending than the show got. It's not perfect, but still much better. Yeah, the whole "making a movie" premise is a bit old and worn out, but I could potentially buy it depending on how big these serial killer cases they solved were.

And while he's not exposed as the Bay Harbor Butcher, he is still arrested for being a serial killer (except in this case he didn't kill any of the people he's accused of).

Granted there could still be another novel that gets him off the hook somehow.

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Apparently a new Dexter book came out a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if it's the last novel, but it's called "Dexter's Final Cut" (also being the first book to drop all the "D" alliteration).

Someone told me the ending of this book, and now I'm annoyed with the show's finale even more.

Massive (though second-hand) Spoilers regarding the latest novel!
    Ok, so Rita is still alive in the books, and so that means the kids are still around (well, I assume Cody is around, I was only told about Astor).

Anyways, I don't know the overall plot of the book, but apparently the general idea is that a movie is being made of Miami Metro after their recent solvings of some high profile serial killer cases (I assume from earlier novels), and so famous actors have been assigned to the various people who work there to shadow them and look into their lives so they can learn and then portray them in the film. This includes Dexter and Deb.

Apparently, the actor shadowing Dexter eventually turns into a killer and ends up killing the actress who was shadowing Debra (along with some other people). Dexter tries to take him down but is knocked unconscious. When he comes to, he finds the actor talking to Astor and trying to sweet talk her and make her a movie star.

Astor sees through his bullshit and kills him and frees Dexter. Dexter assesses the situation and realizes that now all the evidence points towards him having committed all the murders that the actor did. For some reason Rita is the only person that could clear Dexter's name but...it turns out the actor had already killed Rita.

Knowing this, Dexter decides to calmly sit down and wait for the cops to come and arrest him, also apparently taking credit for the death of the actor to get Astor off the hook. The end.

I don't know if there is going to be another novel, or if that's the last one, but on it's own it's definitely a better ending than the show got. It's not perfect, but still much better. Yeah, the whole "making a movie" premise is a bit old and worn out, but I could potentially buy it depending on how big these serial killer cases they solved were.

And while he's not exposed as the Bay Harbor Butcher, he is still arrested for being a serial killer (except in this case he didn't kill any of the people he's accused of).

Granted there could still be another novel that gets him off the hook somehow.
    Have you read the rest of the book series? It is considerably less "grounded" than the TV show and weirder/more insane or gruesome things happen with more frequency.
    Dexter in the books is much less sympathetic/more evil and Rita's kids are kind of set up to be Dexter's successors as well, so the thing with Astor is kind of a payoff for that plot thread. There's also some vaguely supernatural stuff in Book 3+.

I like the TV series better up through Season 4 but after that the books remained the same quality and the TV show started the spiral downwards.