As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Brooklyn Nine-Nine] - The next time you see me I'm going to be all out of orgasms.

JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
edited October 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
103_b99_carousel-carousel-1400x386.jpg

This bad boy now airs on Sundays at 8:30.

Joshmvii on

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not even going to bother with Dads, but Brooklyn 99 is burning a hole in my DVR and I can't wait.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Definitely with you on Brooklyn 99 having potential. As some reviews pointed out, the biggest problem with the pilot was there was a lot of "let's introduce the characters/setting" exposition (that's pretty much a necessary evil for a pilot) that burdened the show, but now that the groundwork has been laid, hopefully it will live up to its promise.

Didn't watch Dads.

Captain Tragedy on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I try to watch any pilot considering that they had to write/shoot it in a way that helped them sell it to a network, so yeah, there's that necessary evil of character introductions and all that taking up screen time. That being said, I think you can generally tell if you're going to like a show based on the pilot, and like I said, Brooklyn 99 showed some real potential. It wasn't hilarious, but there was enough funny and the characters were interesting enough to keep watching.

When I heard about the show and that Mike Schur was creating it, I thought easier said than done but all they need to do is recreate Parks and Rec in a police station. It seems that's what they're going to go for, and I think it's going to work.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Don't think Brooklyn had any laugh out loud moments, but definitely showed a lot of potential. It's a comedy pilot, so gets graded on a massive curve. 22 minutes to introduce a bunch of characters, give them basic definition, and try to make some jokes is super hard. I do hope they soften the second female detective a little bit (the domineering bitch thing is... shaky), and they already showed some signs of that in the pilot and these are the people who created two of the better female characters on TV, so I'm confident we'll be fine there. Most I've ever liked Samberg, so that's a plus. Braugher is great in whatever he's in. The supporting cast is appealing enough, and the female lead seemed like she had decent chemistry with Samberg and I appreciate that even though she's clearly ambitious they showed she's willing to indulge in Samberg's character's less serious sides. Definitely going to stick with it.

I'd read enough about Dads that I avoided it entirely.

Brooklyn 99 drew better ratings too, so good job, America. We'll see how things go when the NCIS juggernaut is running new episodes next week. And SHIELD starts next week too in the 8 PM hour. So... that's not good for it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Joshmvii, I'm going to have to disagree with you on 2 of the racist jokes on Dads. While overall I didn't enjoy the show that much either. I read the jokes of the fathers saying outlandish racist things as jokes on those characters being racist out of touch people, not actual racist jokes. The treatment of their female co-worker however was indeed unsettling, even if I must admit the actress is attractive. And having her protest the treatment and still showing some hints at being a strong female character maybe redeemed the writers of the show a bit, but most definitely not the two main characters. I was honestly bothered though that even though she protested against dressing up in the schoolgirl outfit, she still did it. I was hoping she wouldn't have gone along with it. I don't think we're going to have to worry about it too much anyhow as I don't think it's going to be sticking around. It feels like a show that gets cancelled.

Brooklyn 99 showed off enough promise that I think it might be able to go somewhere. I'll keep watching just for Braugher alone. That guy is a great actor. If everyone else on the show becomes half as good as he can be, the show will be amazing. The last scene sort of brought the whole pilot together.

Anyone else get a live action Carol/Cheryl vibe from the secretary here?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Dads was unwatchable. I got ten minutes in maybe?

The level of acting talent there and the complete absence of writing competency just blew me away

Family guy has been bad lately but at
    Least its self aware and funny on occasion . Dads physically hurt to watch.

Brooklyn 99 is great. Completely misrepresented in its ads though. Samberg really toned it down a lot. I can see actually liking his character

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I also enjoyed Brooklyn 99. Maybe this thread should be converted into the Brooklyn 99 thread?

• r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    McFarlane had his 15 minutes of fame by going through every funny moment he could remember from his childhood watching television and now he's a washed-up hack riding on the coattails of his previous successes. The sooner the Fox execs can realize that the better it will be for us all. McFarlane can get back to focusing on what he loves most which is having 19 year olds on his pile of money.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The sooner McFarlane washes out of the industry the better.

All of the racism and misogyny has been present in all of his crap, he's just been given a pass on it. Until now hopefully.

edited September 2013
    Anyone else get a live action Carol/Cheryl vibe from the secretary here?

That's Chelsea Peretti, and she's a hilarious stand-up. She has a podcast called "Call Chelsea Peretti" where she just takes phone calls from people and talks to them. She's seriously one of the funniest people on the planet. She was a writer on Parks and Rec in the early couple seasons which I imagine is where the Mike Schur connection came from. The best part about her on this show is a lot of it is her just being herself. The 2nd episode where she was singing the song to the one detective who wouldn't get out of the chair about how he was going to always be alone was basically just her acting like her real self. She breaks into song randomly all the time on her podcast.
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I also enjoyed Brooklyn 99. Maybe this thread should be converted into the Brooklyn 99 thread?

Good thought. =) I edited the original post and we can just make it about Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

I'm really enjoying the entire cast on Brooklyn 99.

Joshmvii on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I REALLY like this show so far.

Two jokes that absolutely killed me this week:
    Adult highlander

The sight gag of the squad car pulling up, covered in penises.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Yeah, really liked the 2nd episode.

And :^: to making this a Brooklyn 99-specific thread.

It's come out of the gate pretty strong IMO. It'll take a little while to see if they really get the ensemble to come together like Parks and Rec did, but I really like what I'm seeing so far.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Jumping in to say I like 99 as well. I haven't really seen Adam Samberg, but I like what I see here. Andre Braugher is a favorite from back in the day with Homicide:Life on the Streets(his character Pembelton is my favorite cop character ever).

Their interplay is what very good, with Braughers dry wit contrasting well to Sambergs goofiness. Its adversarial without being hostile. Just two guys that do their job in different ways.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Adorable chubby cheeks.

• MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    This show is killing it for me.

With this episode every character was funny and valuable, including girl detective who could have been just a bitch who's now sometimes kind and she's charming as fuck. Not to mention they gave her a sense of humor.

When Samberg points out she's suggesting police brutality and the realization makes her smile? I laugh just remembering it.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I'm glad this thread is here. I watched the first two episodes on Hulu last night and I was cracking up.

You didn't spend nearly enough time on the fonts in the OP though. And where's the About the Author section?

No glitter? This is bullshit!

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
    And what's with your avatar @Joshmvii ? Where's your tie?

Man, people mentioning lines from the first 2 eps in this thread just remind me of all the funny stuff. I should've kept them on my DVR to watch again.

Joshmvii wrote: »
    Man, people mentioning lines from the first 2 eps in this thread just remind me of all the funny stuff. I should've kept them on my DVR to watch again.

If you're in the US, they're still on Hulu.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I still like the line "We've got 20.2 kilos of coke, I say we round it up to an even 23..." "Ooorrrr we can round it down to an even 22, and sell it to our friends...."

I love that civilian assistant.

Also I love that Artemis from Always Sunny plays a terrible psychic on this show.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Definitely felt like episode two was a step up. Most everyone mentioned the good stuff. I also dug the tent joke at the end. Solve one of the new captain's problems with you in such a strange way, but he doesn't miss a beat in criticizing something else. Good form. And again, Andre Braugher is the highlight for me. The other folks were better, but man, has he always been this good?

I haven't seen him in a lot, even though he's done a lot of work, so I couldn't say from experience.

The consensus is yes though.

And he hasn't done much comedy, so he really gets a chance to shine here.

He does a spectacular job of putting pressure on Samberg to shape up, without seeming adversarial. He's just straight calling out the bullshit. Which cracks me up.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Yeah the calling him on his bullshit thing is going to walk a thin line. Too much and hes an asshole, too little and he's a cardboard cutout.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    He's Andre Braugher, he cannot be an asshole.

The two pictures that were both of his locker cracked me up. Just how Braugher delivered the line "They're both your locker."

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    The realization as he explains why he felt bad for the tagged.

I think having a bureaucratic "opponent" in the deputy commissioner will help them separate the two kinds of supervisor.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
    The realization as he explains why he felt bad for the tagged.

I think having a bureaucratic "opponent" in the deputy commissioner will help them separate the two kinds of supervisor.

I think you're right.

And I think he can walk that line because he doesn't think badly of Samberg. Braugher thinks well of him, he's a good cop and he solves cases! He just needs to be good at these other things too.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    Loving this show so far, hope it gets a chance to continue.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    Yeah, I enjoyed it more than Parks and Rec this week.

Not to say that Parks and Rec was weak, but Fonts > British dude with a silly name

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    2 was better than 1, but it still felt super-forced. Too much exposition or something, I dunno.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    I didn't get that from episode 2 at all, but that's just my opinion.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I haven't seen him in a lot, even though he's done a lot of work, so I couldn't say from experience.

The consensus is yes though.

And he hasn't done much comedy, so he really gets a chance to shine here.

He does a spectacular job of putting pressure on Samberg to shape up, without seeming adversarial. He's just straight calling out the bullshit. Which cracks me up.

You should check out Men of a Certain Age. That show was really under-appreciated, and Braugher did some great work on it.

• useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    There was the duke joke that I felt both crossed the line and was halarious all at once. It was also so subtle my wife totally didn't understand and that made me laugh to actual tears

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Finally watched the Pilot, I have to say, I think the Pilot was actually a bit better than the second episode, but overall both were great and am really looking forward to seeing more.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Second episode had Algernon though.

Its to close to call imo.

I feel like this is what Andy Dwyer :Cop would have been but they just loved it enough to make it a full show.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    I think what I don't like is that there's no interview cut away as there is in P&R and The Office. The lack of that fourth wall break means characters have to talk about their feelings to each other and explain why something is funny to each other in a way that kills my suspension of disbelief.

Like, I liked most of the jokes and absurdities. The delivery for most of them didn't work for me.

Also the tough girl cop and the neurotic guy's relationship is too cute already. I wish that had developed over more than one episode. As it is it seems, again, forced.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    The jokes are clever, but I'd like them to tone down the absurdities. They're p dumb.

"Oh snap! I don't want to piss off the deputy commissioner. That could kill my career, which I now apparently care about"

Cause if you care about your career you typically do everything you can to antagonize your boss.