As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillows made of awesome, not suck.

RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have gone through a dozen pillows in the last couple years, and I'm sick of it.

I sleep on my stomach 99% of the time, with my arms under the pillow.. and after a month, no matter how firm or 'high quality' it is... it ends up almost perfectly flat.

I don't want a HUGE pillow, as I don't want my head at a large angle to the bed (by itself or with my arms under), but I have tried everything from large fluffy pillows to extra extra firm pillows with the same result.
I do not find those pillows with the huge bump for your next comfortable, as I don't sleep on my back, or with my arms at my sides...

I don't want to spend $200 on a pillow... but i've spent that much in various pillows total, so i guess its inevitable. Any suggestions ? HALP?!

sig_civwar.jpg
Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
RoundBoy on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    try one of those memory foam pillows. Not the curved ones, but you can buy a normal shaped pillow with that memory foam material. My uncle got one for christmas, and I took a nap with it, and it was pretty nice.

Dunno about longetivity, but that's what they promise.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The temperpedic foam pillows are godly, but expensive as hell

I've found that any of the cheap memory foam knockoffs suck, though

Why don't you get one big body pillow? I don't sleep on my back either, and since I curl with legs, arms, and head practically and right angles to my body in one direction I have found one long parallel pillow to be extremely comfortable.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I might try that body pillow idea..

its not so much the material... its just that after 1-2-3 months the one I have goes to total crap.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    my dad is a chiropractor, and i have been through many different pillows that are pretty great, but the memory foam pillow is really the best. you can squeeze it comfortably, and it supports your neck without hurting it, and it won't lose its 'firmness' later on.

(i also use a body pillow, but not by itself)

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Temper-pedic. It's the most ballin' shit ever. Se cuesta mucha, however, I've had mine for eight years.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kinda parallel to the topic, but how does one sleep with a body pillow? Do you hug it, or something? I actually have one, but the only thing I really use it for is to put it in between my girlfriend and the wall when she's studying or something on my bed, because she has a tendency to forget that things like walls are there, and hurt her hand.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I hug it. Or sprawl on top of it.

It's also useful for supporting your back like you said too

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hakkekage wrote: »

...I can't imagine this body pillow being anything other than a sex toy without orifices

How can a pillow be for your whole body? What is the point of a mattress, otherwise? Enlighten me!

...also likes to sleep on stomach

GameHat on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2008
    Another vote for memory pillows here. They're great.

Tube on
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    indeed, i have a dual layered memory foam pillow from target. The outer layer is less dense and allows the pillow to stay cool, it's friggen awesome. But it is contoured, so maybe not to got for you there Roundboy

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    GameHat wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »

...I can't imagine this body pillow being anything other than a sex toy without orifices

How can a pillow be for your whole body? What is the point of a mattress, otherwise? Enlighten me!

...also likes to sleep on stomach

Well it's longer

Sometimes it'll go diagonally to my body so my head, neck, and a fair bit of my torso fit on top, and it's really goddamn comfortable

It may be because my mattress is pretty hard, but I enjoy being surrounded by pillows. If you have a body pillow next to you and then a regular pillow for your head than it's like floating on a cloud

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Memory foam is really good. I have a body pillow, too. I just lay it across like a normal pillow and if I ever get tired of one area of it, I can move over to a different section of the pillow. They're super versatile and compliment other pillows well.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You might consider trying to change your sleep position. I've heard it's very bad for your back to sleep on your stomach.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    saltiness wrote: »
    You might consider trying to change your sleep position. I've heard it's very bad for your back to sleep on your stomach.

I keep hearing this, but my spine is curved weirdly when I sleep on my side, more so than when I sleep on my stomach.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    i sleep on my stomach because i snore like a champ. But my sleep is spread 50/50 from stomach and side..

sleeping on my back is just right out... it feels.. odd.

Checking out foam memory pillows...

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Those L-shaped pillows are pretty great. Narrower than a normal pillow, so they're easier to sleep half on top of.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    also .. the shape of the pillow has never been a problem for me.. The standard size works well.. the problem is that while the pillow is awesome for a while.. it eventually compresses itself down to pancake height... and it looses all awesomeness.

So i buy another one.

Repeat.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    *shrug* nothing lasts forever. I mean, if we're talking every three months here, ok, problem, but if its every few years then its just something one should do. Pillows get manky after a while anyway, no matter how much you wash them. I did get one of these for my secret satan and apparently they're pretty good, though. That's pretty damn cheap too.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Temper Pedic, don't get the knock off ones either, get the original.

I wake up awesome every morning since I got it.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    *shrug* nothing lasts forever. I mean, if we're talking every three months here, ok, problem, but if its every few years then its just something one should do. Pillows get manky after a while anyway, no matter how much you wash them. I did get one of these for my secret satan and apparently they're pretty good, though. That's pretty damn cheap too.

I can count the number of months from purchase to fed-up-idness on one hand. Your link is nice, and I would love to have it caress my head. But will I hate the springiness of it (and you by proxy) in a few months time ?

I don't want to hate you.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    I can count the number of months from purchase to fed-up-idness on one hand. Your link is nice, and I would love to have it caress my head. But will I hate the springiness of it (and you by proxy) in a few months time ?

I don't want to hate you.
    Another vote for that one if you don't feel like springing for Temper-Pedic. You can hate me instead.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    All these are wrong.

I sleep on my stomach as well.

I've been through a ton of pillows. Body pillows. Memory foam (80+ dollar ones) - synthetic fill (ugh) - and down.

The best Pillows I've ever used™ -

http://whotelsthestore.com/item.asp?curr_item_id=48&cat_subcat_id=11

I stay at W hotels often and these pillows are AMAZING. Down is the way to go. They have the perfect blend of support and softness.

powerss on
  • Options
    kevbotkevbot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Costco in Canada sells Novaform Elite memory foam pillows... I've had two of them for about a year and they're great. No sign of collapse as of yet.

kevbot on
    Your music is bad, and you should feel bad!
  • Options
    TahnkaTahnka Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I get a new $4.99 pillow from target every 3 months. I actually prefer this because all of the flat pillow go in to a giant pile that everyone lounges on, plays on, throws around. It's a lot of fun to have a corner of the house filled with pillows. :)

Tahnka on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013

Edit: the hell? This is from 2007.

Enc on
This discussion has been closed.