As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Haswell? More like Has...damnit, I had something for this...

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    So over the weekend I'm finally doing a major upgrade on my main Desktop,

I bought all the parts, but I have a quick question:

I'm moving from a 32bit instal of Win7 on an HDD, plus a backup HDD, both 750GB. I want to keep those drives, but turn the first one into my main-ish drive and the second still as a backup, but putting in an SSD as a boot disk, with Win8(64bit obv). I can back up all the important stuff to external HDDs and dropbox and the like before transferring stuff to the new box.

What do I need to do with the HDDs to have them wiped and ready as non-boot drives on the new machine? Can I just move everything over and plug everything in, and then install Win8 on the SSD and through it wipe the two drives before using them? Or do I need to wipe them on the old computer before moving stuff over, and how do I totally wipe them then? Or do I have to do something wacky like not having them initially on the new computer, installing Win8 on the SSD, and then turning the computer off, putting the drives in, and then wiping them?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Your last option isn't wacky and a fine way to do it...You could wipe them on the old PC too which would be easier since they're all plugged in, but you'd need to do it from outside of windows to nuke the windows drive. The main thing is just install Win8 with just the SSD plugged in, then add the other HDD's after.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »

I'm moving from a 32bit instal of Win7 on an HDD, plus a backup HDD, both 750GB. I want to keep those drives, but turn the first one into my main-ish drive and the second still as a backup, but putting in an SSD as a boot disk, with Win8(64bit obv). I can back up all the important stuff to external HDDs and dropbox and the like before transferring stuff to the new box.

What do I need to do with the HDDs to have them wiped and ready as non-boot drives on the new machine? Can I just move everything over and plug everything in, and then install Win8 on the SSD and through it wipe the two drives before using them? Or do I need to wipe them on the old computer before moving stuff over, and how do I totally wipe them then? Or do I have to do something wacky like not having them initially on the new computer, installing Win8 on the SSD, and then turning the computer off, putting the drives in, and then wiping them?

Build your computer with just the SSD. Install Windows 8 on the SSD. Then shut down, add your two other hard drives into the mix, boot into the BIOS to make sure it will boot from the SSD first. Then you can do whatever you want with the two old drives - wipe them, transfer stuff between, etc.

Also note you will probably want to use the SSD for SOME programs, and put your documents, music, etc on the non-backup HDD.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    How do you use a HDD for a program if you're using an SSD as your main drive

I'd like to store my music library on my HDD and I'm using iTunes

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ? You just install it to the HDD as usual. Pick the D drive or whatever instead of C:.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    hm, ok

maybe I just wasn't paying attention when it asked

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    512 gb crucial refurbished ssd for $260

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    You don't really want to buy refurbished HDD's. Or refurbished anything electrical, really, but especially HDD's and doubly SSD's...

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    You don't really want to buy refurbished HDD's. Or refurbished anything electrical, really, but especially HDD's and doubly SSD's...

Pretty much. I'm a big fan of Crucial's work (rocking a 480GB M500 as my OS drive) and the M4 line was great, but refurb, hell no.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I'm going to agree with the refurb HDD/SDD but disagree on the "anything" electrical. Certain appliances that are refurbed or reconditioned aren't bad at all, both my Vitamix and Jura can attest to this.

• Options
    well yeah, but that's why it's so cheap

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Vitamix and Jura don't do "cheap" even with reconditioned stuff, just slightly less painful on the bank account.

• Options
    wasn't talking to you

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Gotcha

• Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Build your computer with just the SSD. Install Windows 8 on the SSD. Then shut down, add your two other hard drives into the mix, boot into the BIOS to make sure it will boot from the SSD first. Then you can do whatever you want with the two old drives - wipe them, transfer stuff between, etc.

Also note you will probably want to use the SSD for SOME programs, and put your documents, music, etc on the non-backup HDD.

Sounds good, thanks. Will do.

And with any luck, everything will be at NCIX tomorrow and I can drive by on the way back from school and get all the parts. I know at least the case, OS, and SSD are in but.... I guess there's not too much I can do without the Motherboard, RAM, and CPU.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Even Sandy Bridge dual cores are perfectly capable of cranking out great framerates on a game like Battlefield 3.

Heck, even Nehalem processors aren't too shabby.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah, my i5-760 (Lynnfield, 2010) is still handling anything I could throw at it without problems.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    So if I were to get a new monitor, seems like I'd either want to choose a 24'' with 120-144Hz or a 27'' w/2560 x 1440 - I have a 24'' at 60hz now, not sure if I really need bigger, but if I went 27'' don't want to just go bigger with a decrease in picture quality.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Is this a good deal? Not too clear on what the different model numbers mean (seems to be clock speed only?) so jumping from an i3-2100 to an i5 3xxx for < $100 doesn't look too bad...

edit: looking closer at pickup options etc. it looks like it's the display items, which is why it's such a significant discount. Doesn't seem like it'll be a problem, it's not like they let people actually pick the physical chip up or anything.

...right?

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It may be worth a phone call to see what their warranty is for the chip. While in all likelihood you're fine, it's wise to be safe. That being said, I'm not sure if you'd even bother with warranty replacement of a $100 part. Good luck!

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Is this a good deal? Not too clear on what the different model numbers mean (seems to be clock speed only?) so jumping from an i3-2100 to an i5 3xxx for < $100 doesn't look too bad...

The single major, general difference between i3's and i5's (at least with desktop chips) is:

i3's are all dual-cores.
    i5's are quad-cores.

And i7's are quad-cores with hyper-threading.

• Options
    Holy jesus.

going from a 1st gen Q6600 that's been running for... what 6 years now? to an i5 Ivy bridge and going from a normal HDD to an SSD is so much better

Everything's just so fast now.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Okay so... Maybe this isn't the proper place to ask, but I've been looking into getting myself a newer machine sometime soon. Now the thing is, I don't honestly trust myself enough to not fuck something up when putting it together which is why I wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask this.

Basically, in terms of bang for my buck, are there ANY reputable websites offering me something that isn't crap for a budget of around $800-900?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Instead, I'm going to encourage you to watch a few "build your own" videos and make an attempt to build it yourself. You will get substantially more value for your dollar, and you'll learn something to boot!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I would also encourage you to attempt to build it yourself - it really is dead easy these days. Watching a couple videos will definitely give you enough to figure it out.

However, if you REALLY don't want to go that route, NCIX.com will assemble your stuff for an extra $50. Their prices are not the best though, so you also end up paying a premium for your parts.

Here's an idea:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/tsmvengy/saved/2sXq

This came out to $810 on NCIX. The same parts at other places come out to $795, and you could probably shop around a bit more brandwise and save some.

EDIT: Reuse your current hard drive as storage, along with your optical drive. I assume they are SATA.

What are your current specs?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the hardest parts of building a system these days are picking the parts and installing the damn heatsink. Pretty much everything else only fits one way, so as long as you hook everything up it will boot.

On the PSU discussion:
    I just built a Haswell Core i7 system with a GTX 770, and under heavy gaming it pulls a whopping 250W at the wall according to my Kill-A-Watt. Running Furmark and Linpack at the same time gets me to ~290W. At idle, it's well under 100W. Unless you are doing SLI/Xfire or installing a 10-disk RAID array, you don't need more than a good quality (this is way more important) 400-500W PSU.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Yeah, the hardest parts of building a system these days are picking the parts and installing the damn heatsink. Pretty much everything else only fits one way, so as long as you hook everything up it will boot.

On the PSU discussion:
    I just built a Haswell Core i7 system with a GTX 770, and under heavy gaming it pulls a whopping 250W at the wall according to my Kill-A-Watt. Running Furmark and Linpack at the same time gets me to ~290W. At idle, it's well under 100W. Unless you are doing SLI/Xfire or installing a 10-disk RAID array, you don't need more than a good quality (this is way more important) 400-500W PSU.

Not sure how you are putting a load on the CPU/GPU but I would expect that if you ran two programs designed to completely max them out then you would pull just over 300W. But yeah, power requirements have gone down A LOT in the past few years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Arthil wrote: »
    Okay so... Maybe this isn't the proper place to ask, but I've been looking into getting myself a newer machine sometime soon. Now the thing is, I don't honestly trust myself enough to not fuck something up when putting it together which is why I wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask this.

Basically, in terms of bang for my buck, are there ANY reputable websites offering me something that isn't crap for a budget of around $800-900?

@Arthil

If you go with a more reputable site for a prebuilt gaming machine (Alienware, Falcon Northwest, XoticPC etc.) you will pay a substantial premium for the service; a machine you could build yourself for $900 will be ~$1400 from one of those retailers.

If you go with a site like iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC, you will get much closer to paying what you would if you built yourself, but it comes at a cost:

1) Quality of parts
    2) Quality of service.

If you are willing to accept those risks, go for it. I know people who have bought from IBP/CyberPower and been perfectly happy with them, but I've also heard horror stories of broken machines and phantom customer service.

I personally agree with the above posters -- it's more cost-effective and less risky to build a new PC yourself.

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    And we are all here for you when you can't figure out the non-posting motherboard. Put me down as another who thinks if you are skilled enough to type a post on this forum then you are skilled enough to build your own computer.

• Options

Since I just did this part yesterday, let me mention that installing the heatsink is so much easier these days than it was.

Push the things 'till you hear a click, rotate them, easy-peasy.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013

Since I just did this part yesterday, let me mention that installing the heatsink is so much easier these days than it was.

Push the things 'till you hear a click, rotate them, easy-peasy.

I remember the time I gouged the shit out of my motherboard because I had to use a screwdriver to get enough force to attach the heatsink. I think that was on one of my Athlon XP machines.

The days when you had to seriously worry about crushing your CPU die to death with your heatsink were "fun". :D

On the PSU discussion:

Not sure how you are putting a load on the CPU/GPU but I would expect that if you ran two programs designed to completely max them out then you would pull just over 300W. But yeah, power requirements have gone down A LOT in the past few years.

Yeah. Linpack + Furmark got me in the 290-320W range depending on when I looked at the meter. Nothing I've actually done with the machine has been in that ballpark, though.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Welp, I had a spinning drive go in my gaming PC, so I figured screw that noise, all Solid State from here on. Grabbed a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO. It's a ton of fun to see all that free space on a drive this fast.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    I'm really tempted to get this monitor.

I have a 6950. Would I be risking a spiraling cycle of upgrades? I'm certainly OK with turning down some setting on demanding games.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options

I have a 6950. Would I be risking a spiraling cycle of upgrades? I'm certainly OK with turning down some setting on demanding games.

Hard to say, but these charts don't give me a lot of confidence. You're looking at 75% more pixels than 1080p.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    After spending ages trying to find a case that wouldn't make me cringe from a home-design standpoint, I just commissioned one of these:

http://www.nickfalzonedesign.com/sangaku.html

Something steel/metal-looking would be fine if I was in an industrial/loft space, but as i'm in more of a conventional home, I need something that looks more natural. Hope this comes out OK.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    C'moooooon GTX890!

• Options
    edited September 2013

Hard to say, but these charts don't give me a lot of confidence. You're looking at 75% more pixels than 1080p.

How is this for a rationalization:

Right now I have been playing SWTOR which shouldn't be too demanding and I should pick up Minecraft just so I can talk about the one things my nieces/nephews talk about and I even have a backlog of Wii/WiiU games to play including Xenoblade which is apparently a time sink.

That should hold me over until the heat death of the universe let alone until next gen cards come out and we find out more about AMD's Mantle and we learn more about SteamOS.

If all else fails there is CKII and I can hold off getting Rome II until a Steam Sale.

Thus I should go ahead and get the pretty pretty monitor.

Reasonable or too transparent?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Right now I have been playing SWTOR which shouldn't be too demanding and I should pick up Minecraft just so I can talk about the one things my nieces/nephews talk about and I even have a backlog of Wii/WiiU games to play including Xenoblade which is apparently a time sink.

That should hold me over until the heat death of the universe let alone until next gen cards come out and we find out more about AMD's Mantle and we learn more about SteamOS.

If all else fails there is CKII and I can hold off getting Rome II until a Steam Sale.

ONE OF US
    ONE OF US

Do it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

ONE OF US
    ONE OF US

Do it.

I know, right. Back when I wrote the OPs this thread was all about not spending money. What's happened to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

ONE OF US
    ONE OF US

Do it.

I know, right. Back when I wrote the OPs this thread was all about not spending money. What's happened to me.

Steamitus happened.

This discussion has been closed.