As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EA Releases Command & Conquer for Free

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I stopped playing the C&C series after I made it about half-way through the GDI campaign of Tiberian (Tiberium) Sun. Fairly mediocre game, it just didn't hold any of the atmosphere of the previous titles for me, and I felt a lot of the units were tacked on / useless.

What made it doubly bad was that it was probably the first game that I was ever really hyped for. I used to visit the websites every day for whatever snippets I could find. Then over time, the features crept further and further back (voxels ended up looking like rubbish, doubly so for the fact that they removed the deformable terrain they were talking about back then), and on release, bought it, played it, couldn't get into it.

The biggest lesson I took from that game is: DON'T jump on the hype train. It's never worth it, no matter how good the game may be. It's served me in good stead these past years.

subedii on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SWEET FANCY MOSES. It bothers me to no end that these units can't fire and move at the same time. It's been 9 years since I played this game as a kid. Playing this really makes me appreciate games like Company of Heroes and hell even C&C 3.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    I stopped playing the C&C series after I made it about half-way through the GDI campaign of Tiberian (Tiberium) Sun. Fairly mediocre game, it just didn't hold any of the atmosphere of the previous titles for me, and I felt a lot of the units were tacked on / useless.

What made it doubly bad was that it was probably the first game that I was ever really hyped for. I used to visit the websites every day for whatever snippets I could find. Then over time, the features crept further and further back (voxels ended up looking like rubbish, doubly so for the fact that they removed the deformable terrain they were talking about back then), and on release, bought it, played it, couldn't get into it.

The biggest lesson I took from that game is: DON'T jump on the hype train. It's never worth it, no matter how good the game may be. It's served me in good stead these past years.

I'd probably agree with you, but you need to go play Red Alert 2. It was a huge improvement over Tiberian Sun.

Tiberian Sun was just too slow and had too many of the "take these 3 units and clear the entire map" missions..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What was the C&C game that was a FPS? Was it any good, and did it come on the decade pack?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    C&C: Renegade. I played it at some LAN parties in college. It really was a blast.

Malkor on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thanks Mal.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    1) What the hell is Tiberian Dawn? Wasn't it Tiberian Sun?

2) Is there a difference between Tiberian and Tiberium?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    1) What the hell is Tiberian Dawn? Wasn't it Tiberian Sun?

2) Is there a difference between Tiberian and Tiberium?

Tiberian Dawn is the first one, Tiberian Sun is the second one, Tiberian Twilight was going to be the third one but then they renamed it to Tiberium Wars.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The original C&C is Tiberian Dawn. The Tiberian Sun is the sequel. Although C&C:Red Alert was made after the orginal C&C.

Malkor on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Playing this again is really making me hope that they release the sound tracks to the games as well. The first one has some great stuff on it.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Kelor wrote: »
    Playing this again is really making me hope that they release the sound tracks to the games as well. The first one has some great stuff on it.

I agree. It's not like 90s cheezy, but it fits the game and when it was released.

Malkor on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tiberium is a noun, Tiberian is the adjective... I don't think the difference is any deeper than that. :P

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So wait...Tiberian Dawn was the very first Command and Conquer game?

I thought that game was just called Command and Conquer...?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    So wait...Tiberian Dawn was the very first Command and Conquer game?

I thought that game was just called Command and Conquer...?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Command & Conquer is widely referred to by its subtitle of Tiberian Dawn, in order to distinguish between this game and the extensive franchise it has spawned over the years.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007

If I could find the correct link, you can just extract the soundtrack from the .mix files using a utility, then just burn the .wavs to a CD..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    yotes wrote: »
    !@#$

I just want them to release the whole mess that was C&C Sole Survivor (and servers and sources) for free. That was the most fun computer gaming part of my late childhood, for sure.
    Go spin around in a chair, you might forget the fun.

I'm not going to download this if there's no possibility of multiplayer, just doesn't quite make sense if there isn't mp. So please, someone, God, find a solution.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    someone posted a link that will let you play over LAN and I'm guessing hamachi as well.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Honestly, if I had to choose a C&C to not have multiplayer in, it would be this one. Mostly because they didn't give the AI the ability to build bases. It just gets a bunch of units and will rush you.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I just played a game on the XWIS thingy (kinda creepy how it just uses Westwood Chat). The only bad thing is that you have to restart C&C every time you want to play a new game because it'll complain about not being able to write results to the Westwood server.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Triple post! But worth it:

Utilities for editing, playing, and whatever for C&C!

http://xhp.xwis.net/utilities/

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fucking God Damnit, why do these games always come out at odd times.

I have to go on holiday to Spain tomorrow with my gf, I'm gonna miss out on multiplayer C&C goodness.

...unless I take my laptop.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    I started playing and wondered what the fuck was going on when my soldier didn't get a cover bonus for being next to a sandbag!

Hint: This came out before Starcraft. Its only competition back then was Warcraft 2. :P
    You get cover bonuses in Starcraft?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    I started playing and wondered what the fuck was going on when my soldier didn't get a cover bonus for being next to a sandbag!

Hint: This came out before Starcraft. Its only competition back then was Warcraft 2. :P

I think you do... but my point was that you shouldn't expect too much from an RTS that came out in 1995.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I think you do... but my point was that you shouldn't expect too much from an RTS that came out in 1995.
    I've been playing a ton of Company of Heroes lately. That's why I expected a little green heavy cover icon to pop out. I beat this game when it originally came out, I didn't really appreciate how far the genre has come in all that time.

Malkor on
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So guys, is there ever a reason to build sandbags (besides selling ur troops)

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So guys, is there ever a reason to build sandbags (besides selling ur troops)
    To spell out naughty words?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The AI doesn't detect sandbags as a target, so you can simply build a line of them up to your enemy's base and encircle them in the campaign.

Plus, sandbags count as a structure for building purposes, so when you've finished surrounding the computer with sandbag doom, you can then pop some nice shiny Obelisks on their doorstep. Fun stuff.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    huh? I don't remember sandbags counting as things you could build off of.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Working mirror or torrent please.

rayofash on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Yes.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    Working mirror or torrent please.

Working torrent here.

TalonSE on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

if your units are higher than your opponents, they only have a 70% chance to hit you.

Same goes for if your units are near trees.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »

If I could find the correct link, you can just extract the soundtrack from the .mix files using a utility, then just burn the .wavs to a CD..

There was actually a fairly incredible amount of stuff you could extract out of the mix files if you put enough effort into it... though I'm not sure if the Win95 version had the same abilities (I still have a few of the songs I took out of the old DOS version, Mechanical Man was a great song.. :) )

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gdiguy wrote: »

There was actually a fairly incredible amount of stuff you could extract out of the mix files if you put enough effort into it... though I'm not sure if the Win95 version had the same abilities (I still have a few of the songs I took out of the old DOS version, Mechanical Man was a great song.. :) )

Is it legal to post links to the soundtracks here? 'Cause I got the soundtrack all of the C&C games (except Generals and C&C3) and I can upload them somewhere and post 'em for your convenience.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    darksteel wrote: »
    Gdiguy wrote: »

Is it legal to post links to the soundtracks here? 'Cause I got the soundtrack all of the C&C games (except Generals and C&C3) and I can upload them somewhere and post 'em for your convenience.

I was assuming not to be safe, since they were sold separately at one point... but I don't know what the legal status of ripping game music is, since you could argue that you paid for the game and music already

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Download the XCC utilities I linked earlier, load up XCC AV Player with one of the C&C discs in the drive. It'll automatically pick it up and then you can just hit "Extract" to get the music into burnable form.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Westwood Chat seems to work with this patch: http://www.understorm.net/thipx/ This patch may also work with Hamachi.

Game on?

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'll do a Game On after I beat the campaign again. Really rusty.

Also! If you're getting the crash when one of your units goes to the upper left.. I suddenly got that today. Annoying. Anyway, I managed to fix it by going and checking which Windows it was running in compatability mode for, and it was Windows98/Me. Changing it to Windows 95 fixed the problem. So make sure it's running the main exe as a Windows95 program.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Remember when I said I'd buy the first decade?

Well I did. Made it to the 9th GDI mission since yesterday.

Tiny units are tiny! I must say I was expecting something somewhat similar to Blizzard's RTSes, but this is an almost completely different feel and philosophy - and I love it. The missions are hard, but not impossible (at least not yet), and it feels incredibly rewarding when you finally manage to crush your opponent, especially considering you almost always need to be cunning and tactical to succeed (unlike Starcraft's mass-whatever's-the-best-unit-available philosophy).

The interface takes a little getting used to (though I love being able to keep producing units even while I'm babysitting an attacking group), the controls get pretty frustrating (I often lose selection of my units because I accidentally dragged a selection box, and what's with Shift only working if I've hotkeyed the group?), and the units will let themselves get slaughtered unless I'm there to guide them every step of their lives, but these are things I assume get fixed as the series progresses. I love the cut-scenes, they're so awesome and cheesy. Quite a remarkable game, don't regret the purchase.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah. Even though C&C/Dune 2 were my first RTS games, it was kind of weird to go back to that style of gameplay. When I got The First Decade, I thought my PC was running the game too fast when I made my first infantry unit, but it really is that fast.

I had intended to play through all the C&C games last year, along with C&C3 this year, but I basically stopped somewhere in the middle of the GDI campaign in Tiberium Sun.

SteevL on