As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free/Inexpensive Video Editing Software

halkunhalkun Registered User regular
So, I'm doing youtube content and can probably use a more streamlined way of doing things...
My Current way is building a slideshow using inkscape/Impress and then exporting the frames into Windows movie maker. However, that program is not very feature-rich and kind of a pain when I want to do more snappy effects.

Any ideas?

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I like Adobe Premiere.

If you run XP you can take advantage of Adobe giving away their Creative Suite 2 which includes Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0. The same suite is also for Macs but I'm not sure of any requirements in that case. The 2.0 version is pretty old, but for $0 it should be worth checking out.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I like Sony Vegas. It's not a "hold your hand" kind of software, and it's a little intimidating at first, but it seems pretty powerful for the price.

• Options
    It wasn't until today I got to looking at these...

I don't think you guys quite understand what I mean by "inexpensive"

Sony Vegas in $399 in it's cheapest package.
    Adobe Premiere is $225 a year (WTF?)

I'm was thinking Free to $60 maximum. For example. In Linux there are all kinds. Cinelerra, Kino, Kdenlive and LiVES. Sadly, they don't seem to port these applications to windows for some odd reason. I may have to go the cygwin route... :/

• Options
    halkun wrote: »

Ah, it looks like they changed the product naming. I'm recommending this, Sony Movie Studio, which is $70 right now. It used to be called "Sony Vegas Movie Studio," but I guess they're now trying to further differentiate the affordable version from the ultra fancypants version.

• Options
    That's looking much more like what I'm after! I'll give it a spin when I get home.

• Options
    That's looking much more like what I'm after! I'll give it a spin when I get home.

I just want to reiterate my caveat, though. It's going to be a little overwhelming at first. It's kind of like Photoshop, where there's an overwhelming count of available tools and gizmos, but if you just pick a place to start and learn the essentials, it's not too bad and you have lots of room to grow. I have an older version of the software, so it's also possible they've improved the interface since I bought it.

• Options
    SpiritfireSpiritfire Brookfield, WIRegistered User regular
    I used to use Premiere for a side job, but couldn't afford it for personal use. I've made some decent videos with Pinnacle Studio, but reviews of the latest version seem poor in regards to resource usage.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

Adobe Premiere is $225 a year (WTF?)

Maybe you ought to try and read what I posted once again and then read the whole thing. It seems you missed the part about Adobe having made their Creative Suite 2 aka. CS2 free and that it includes Adobe Premiere 2 meaning that you can get a very good although a bit old video editing piece of software ABSOLUTELY FOR FREE!

So WTF right back at you :-)

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Corel's Video Studio is also at a similar price point (especially since it CONSTANTLY goes on sale), and although I haven't used it myself, I heard from my mom (who has it and has used it a very tiny bit) that it's gotten pretty decent reviews. I'm pretty sure they have a free trial as well, so you could give it a shot and see how you like the interface.