As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Five Star Masterchef - Village wins, Sir Fabulous crowned Five Star Masterchef!

1202122232426»

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I suspected egos - but I didn't want to override the other mafia actually participating

I think my only complaint is really boooo inactive mafia

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »
    RNG decided to axe you, Cesare. We had only moderate control over who we killed.

I was literally #1 on your list until I died. Doesn't sound like RNG to me.

From Day 1 Proboard Thread:

CesareB 0.223900603
    TheRoadVirus 0.263970687
    Gandalf_the_Crazed 0.311907264
    Delmain 0.328382503
    undergroundmonorail 0.406108235
    Flarne 0.450593192
    Rawkking Goodguy 0.468509293
    ihaveachair 0.595149621
    Farangu 0.620437865
    premium 0.644262366
    Megafrost 0.65569031
    Invictus 0.694376426
    KetBra 0.746338147
    Mill 0.809628189

Ah ok, it was RNG from your end, but that really had nothing to do with the fact that you couldn't decide freely. I mean that was a choice you made, not a requirement.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    A bit frusterated by the way skills worked. Mostly because I tried to jump in without really understanding things and when I got a grasp on them it was too late and I was locked into what I had choosen.

I would have loved either a trickle of skill points to choose stuff with or an option to respec.

However this has mostly to do with the type of player I am, where I like to test things out and see what they do, rather than worry about having all the knowledge ahead of time. So maybe other people fared way better.

• Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    Preparation Skills
    Oven: 3
    Pan: 2
    Saucepan: 1
    Plate: 4

Ingredient Skills
    Desserts: 2
    Exotics: 2
    Ornaments: 2
    Red Meat: 2
    Seafood: 2
    Starch: 16
    Vegetables: 2
    White Meat: 2

School of Cookery: Italian

I have some regrets.

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Don't get yourself down, jdarksun, your efforts were well worth it. I actually did a little bit of work trying to put together a simulated chef to figure out my best options, but I stopped partway through since I didn't immediately know how to handle preparation method flex points. (I did think of a few ideas that might work in the following days, but by that point it was so late into the game that I didn't bother to try them out.) It's not trivial to put that component into a program, so I applaud the work put into it.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    One again showing that I know nothing, John Darksun, I've put up a game of Five Star Chef sans phalla elements.
    Quoted for the new page.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    RNG decided to axe you, Cesare. We had only moderate control over who we killed.

I was literally #1 on your list until I died. Doesn't sound like RNG to me.

From Day 1 Proboard Thread:

CesareB 0.223900603
    TheRoadVirus 0.263970687
    Gandalf_the_Crazed 0.311907264
    Delmain 0.328382503
    undergroundmonorail 0.406108235
    Flarne 0.450593192
    Rawkking Goodguy 0.468509293
    ihaveachair 0.595149621
    Farangu 0.620437865
    premium 0.644262366
    Megafrost 0.65569031
    Invictus 0.694376426
    KetBra 0.746338147
    Mill 0.809628189

Ah ok, it was RNG from your end, but that really had nothing to do with the fact that you couldn't decide freely. I mean that was a choice you made, not a requirement.

fair enough

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    A bit frusterated by the way skills worked. Mostly because I tried to jump in without really understanding things and when I got a grasp on them it was too late and I was locked into what I had choosen.

I would have loved either a trickle of skill points to choose stuff with or an option to respec.

However this has mostly to do with the type of player I am, where I like to test things out and see what they do, rather than worry about having all the knowledge ahead of time. So maybe other people fared way better.
    Wow, now I want to run Five Star Chef meets Skyrim.

• Options
    Who else would seer me? Instantly knew it was egos :p

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Before I forget. Thanks for hosting this @jdarksun. I had plenty of fun with the cooking stuff.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I think it would be interesting if, in a season setting, preparing ingredients and using skills provided experience points towards the ingredient type and skill used. If would be an interesting balancing act between using a skill for which you have expertise in order to have a high chance of staying in the competition versus using a skill for which you have low proficiency in the hopes of future gain, but with the risk of seeing an early exit. You could see chefs develop over a season as they get more professional training.

But perhaps this is better discussed in the new Five-Star Chef thread...

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    I suspected egos - but I didn't want to override the other mafia actually participating

I think my only complaint is really boooo inactive mafia

Yeah, I'm still getting used to having a grown up job and managing forum time with that

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    I had a lot of fun with this. Thanks, @jdarksun !

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Thanks for running jdark, this game was so much fun.

What was up with my death though?

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Yo? Full mechanics explanation? Mafia proboards link? Did I miss them?
    I don't like action seers for a similar reason that i don't like roleblockers:

Player: "I have this cool power!"
    Roleblocker: "No, you cannot do that"
    Action Seer: "No, you should not do that"
    Player: :cry:

This isn't really a valid analogy. You should expect action seers in any sort of battle system game (this is close enough :P), and being caught doing something is a lot more exciting than just being stopped. If using your abilities was made strategically pointless due to the danger of being caught, then the rewards for using the abilities needs to be amped up, not the danger removed. (In general, at least. Maybe 2 action seers was one seer too many for this game's player count.)

On mafia love: If they were choosing challenges I think a full chef abilities seer would've been in order, on top of whatever insight into abilities they could get from the players freely telling them. That would've allowed one much more guided kill per night, plus the possibility of mafia shenanigans with pretending to be a village special.

Plus, I feel slighted that the mafia's best way to eliminate me was apparently to cancel the immunity reward and then get me through some bad luck at dice on my part + jeering on a cooking test I was entirely competent at.

They should've instead targeted my hidden in plain sight starch weakness with the spaghetti rice saucepan mcwafflethon pressure test, so that I could curse the mafia loudly as I head unto my doom!
    Preparation Skills
    Oven: 2
    Pan: 3
    Saucepan: 1
    Plate: 4

Ingredient Skills
    Desserts: 5
    Exotics: 3
    Ornaments: 3
    Red Meat: 3
    Seafood: 4
    Starch: 2
    Vegetables: 6
    White Meat: 4

School of Cookery: Indian

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Okay so I found the mafia boards/game mechanics and damn, that is a pretty interesting setup. Disregard my call for an abilities seer for information I guess! I can see how the action seers look just like a trap for using the jeers in regards to how minor they are in comparison to everything else?

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    I regret not contacting Vertroue and ihaveachair on Day 1 to form a "cheer squad" just to be ironic.

• Options
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I think it would be interesting if, in a season setting, preparing ingredients and using skills provided experience points towards the ingredient type and skill used. If would be an interesting balancing act between using a skill for which you have expertise in order to have a high chance of staying in the competition versus using a skill for which you have low proficiency in the hopes of future gain, but with the risk of seeing an early exit. You could see chefs develop over a season as they get more professional training.

But perhaps this is better discussed in the new Five-Star Chef thread...
    This is an awesome idea and I'm stealing it.
    Delmain wrote: »
    Thanks for running jdark, this game was so much fun.

What was up with my death though?
    Here's how I generated each day (at some point, I'll make all the docs public) :
    1) Take the responses to a day's order form, and copy it to a new sheet. Shorten the header row so I could see all the data on one page, and verify it against living players. Submit orders for non-mafia players that did not do so, unless immunity was granted in the prior round. Order sheet by Player Name.
    2) Download that sheet as a .csv. Delete the first line. Update ComputeRound.java with the new round's .csv, and run it.
    3) Copy the output to a google doc, so I had a permanent record of the results.
    4) Copy the Team Test or Individual Test template to a new tab of the master record.
    5) If an Elimination Order was given, fill in the Judge's Elimination Ordering.
    6) Sort day's round by Quality (or group Dishes by type, average the Qualities, and total the result), and figure out who had top and bottom looks.
    7) If an Elimination Order was given, determine who was Eliminated.
    8) Begin posting results.

The problem occurred in three places, but it all boils down to "I fucked up":
    1) You submitted orders, so I didn't check to see if you had immunity.
    2) The mafia submitted a kill order on you, when in the past they had self-excluded players with immunity, so I didn't double check to see if you had immunity.
    3) I didn't double check to see if you had immunity before I posted elimination results.

My lizard-brain eventually reminded me that I hadn't double checked immunity, but Egos and vert had already seen the results. So, I fucked up. :( Sorry bro.
    On mafia love: If they were choosing challenges I think a full chef abilities seer would've been in order, on top of whatever insight into abilities they could get from the players freely telling them. That would've allowed one much more guided kill per night, plus the possibility of mafia shenanigans with pretending to be a village special.
    The mafia also got the full results of each night's cooking. I forgot to mention that.