The New Young Uncanny Secret A.I. Arena [Avengers] Thread (Now with less Dark)

145679

Posts

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Ho! Ho! Ho! Drink Coke!Registered User regular
    Sometimes I think about how Salvador Larocca is kind of like Greg Land, except he tries.

  • TexiKenTexiKen lllllet's go! Registered User regular
    Larocca had so many years of being a good artist before photo referencing everything from Milligan's X-Men forward.

    It's weird how he went from Wieringo on his Flash stuff to Pacheco in his Fantastic Four and Uncanny stuff, then he had his own style on X-Treme X-Men and Namor, and finally referencing reared it's ugly head.

  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I refuse to read any series with Land art.

    // Steam: VWinds // Riot: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 // Genshin Impact: 600592891 //
    CrimsondudeRingoCaveman Paws
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Mighty Avengers started out pretty strong. Fun, quippy dialogue and really strong characters. Land's art blows butthe writing is aces.

    My strongest reaction to Land's art in the first issue of Mighty Avengers is that he apparently lacks any images of African-American women to trace so just gave up when it came time to draw Monica Rambeau.

    Hell, there were a couple of Luke Cage shots that I swear he used for Tony Stark in Iron Man.

    He also clearly traced a picture of Gollum for Spider-Man in the splash page at the end.

  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Did anyone else enjoy the Blue Streak dialogue as much as I did?

    Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Mighty Avengers started out pretty strong. Fun, quippy dialogue and really strong characters. Land's art blows butthe writing is aces.

    My strongest reaction to Land's art in the first issue of Mighty Avengers is that he apparently lacks any images of African-American women to trace so just gave up when it came time to draw Monica Rambeau.

    Motherfucking Greg Land.

    And it's not like they don't make porn that features African-American performers, so Land really has no excuse.

    Crimsondude
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'm kinda torn on Secret Avengers. I feel they they got the tone of some characters completely wrong, the whole mindwipe macguffin is used pretty hapahazardly, and it's just been dragging on for way too long.

    On the other hand, it's kinda starting to get to a Secret Warriors: the sequel feel, particularly now with Daisy. So I want to see if it goes where I want it to but it's going to be pretty disappointing if it doesn't, or takes it sweet merry old time getting there.

    PSN/Steam - Elderlycrawfish
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    So maybe it's just because I'm sleep deprived but the first few pages of Young Avengers kinda blew my mind.

    I was worried at about issue 3 but this comic has really grown into something awesome.

    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    And what the hell is that black speckley mold that keeps popping up?! Nobody ever mentions it but it's been there since they hopped dimensions!

    Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Young Avengers has been alright

    I expected more, but it's by no means bad

    Billy is still the main subject though and Jesus Christ just fuck off forever

    Crimsondude
  • TexiKenTexiKen lllllet's go! Registered User regular
    I feel like Gillen is focusing too much on the book being tumblr bait as opposed to telling a better story. The past arc basically ended back at square one.

    Bullio
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I dropped Young Avengers a few issues back. I felt like I was watching one of those Teen dramas on CW

    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen lllllet's go! Registered User regular
    One Yggdrasil Hill

  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I have been pleased with every single issue thus far. It's interesting that so many people see it as The Billy Show, because I haven't seen it as anything other than The Kid Loki Show since issue one.

    Which is okay by me, because I like Kid Loki - even this non-JIM version.

    Centipede DamascusAmiguWiseManTobesFearghaillcardboard delusions
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Basically I feel like Billy is a prop. He's kind of in the spotlight because different characters also in the spotlight take turns holding him and emoting with him, but he ain't the star player (in my eyes).

    Mind you, it's not good that he's a prop. I wish he were a more interesting/fun character. I just also don't mind him being in the spotlight a lot.

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    He's the mcguffin

    the stories revolve around him and his bullshit

    everyone is always talking about him

    honestly I am disappointed with the series. Gillen said he would be bringing back the original Marvel Boy and moving Billy out of the constant limelight, but he turned Marvel Boy into a hip music lover and Billy is still all over the place. The trouble with that book is that it lacks edge, it's very self-indulgent. Marvel Boy needs to get his arrogant "Zen Fascism" back, Billy needs to toughen up, Hulkling needs to dump that loser, Kate needs to get more time. The only part of the team who has any kind of edge to them is Miss America, and she feels a bit like a generic tough girl, with not much more to her than a scowl and blanked out swear words.

    It's not a bad book, but Gillen can do better, I know he can, and until he does, I'll be disappointed. This could have been cool, edgy, aggressive, but it ended up being soft.

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Like, Noh Var is into country and western, he likes sixties pop music, he likes soul. These choices are all so incredibly safe, they are niche but of recognised qualities, your parents love those genres, nobody says the Beatles or Johnny Cash sucks. He should be a fan of dubstep and hard modern electronic music, glitch hop, all that stuff, music that adults call just noise. He should be aggressive and cool and hopped up on the sensory overload that is his life. As it is, he's just kind of nice nice and enthusiastic, with a little hint of mystery.

    Brian Michael Bendis wrote a more interesting Marvel Boy than Gillen. There, I said it.

    Solar on
    Crimsondudevagrant_winds
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Nah, I disagree.

    I mean I love both of those Noh-Varrs, but Noh-Varr being fascinated with classic Earth culture is not only a pretty endearing trait, it makes him stand out amongst the rest of the YA cast who are all very much modern teenagers who probably do love dubstep, glitch hop, etc.

    He's a space hipster.

    CYpGAPn.png
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    Aside from your personal bias being for modern music, why should Noh Varr's be? The entire history of human music is new to him, dubstep and soul are equally fresh and exciting.

    BlankZoe
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    (also happy birthday)

    BlankZoeUndead ScottsmanTurambarCaveman Paws
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The reason why I personally think it doesn't work is because Noh Varr was always cool because he was rebellious, he was aggressive, he liked things that other people don't, and he gave zero fucks about what anyone else thought. "Our way is better. Show them that. beat it into their faces." Noh Varr shouldn't just like modern music, he should like modern music which is unpopular, even amongst modern teenagers. He should like stuff that people call noise and not even worth being music. Edgy shit.

    Regardless of whether I like that stuff or not, it fits Noh Varr's character more than him liking the same stuff that everyone else always has. It gives him that edge, he's in your face, he enjoys things you don't almost because you don't. He's the guy who wrote "fuck you" in burning city blocks, he's become far too laid back for my liking. That character is barely even there any more.

    Solar on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    (thanks guys!)

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Ho! Ho! Ho! Drink Coke!Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Like, Noh Var is into country and western, he likes sixties pop music, he likes soul. These choices are all so incredibly safe, they are niche but of recognised qualities, your parents love those genres, nobody says the Beatles or Johnny Cash sucks. He should be a fan of dubstep and hard modern electronic music, glitch hop, all that stuff, music that adults call just noise. He should be aggressive and cool and hopped up on the sensory overload that is his life. As it is, he's just kind of nice nice and enthusiastic, with a little hint of mystery.

    Brian Michael Bendis wrote a more interesting Marvel Boy than Gillen. There, I said it.

    Has Noh-Varr actually mentioned the Beatles or Johnny Cash? Because I'm pretty sure he hasn't.

    In issue #1, he listens to the Ronettes. In #4 he puts on a Candi Staton song. In #8 he says he's been listening to Gram Parsons. I think that's all the music references he's made so far.

    BlankZoe
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think Noh-Varr has just mellowed out.

    It's been a few years, MU time, since he showed up on Earth and it is clear he has matured and found himself a little bit more. He's still cocky and arrogant, but he is no longer the punk anarchist that will kill thousands simply to write FUCK YOU in the ground.

    If you don't like that he has changed, that's cool, but I think it is a perfectly valid direction for the character.

    CYpGAPn.png
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    also he's in looooooove

    I hear that changes people

    CrimsondudeBlankZoevagrant_winds
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    yeah I guess I don't like that he has changed

    the new direction seems pretty dull in comparison

  • TexiKenTexiKen lllllet's go! Registered User regular
    I thought british people liked one direction.

    mmgg-Copy_zps6d7eff04.jpg

    CrimsondudeCaveman Paws
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    It works better if you spoiler that image.

  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    but he is no longer the punk anarchist that will kill thousands simply to write FUCK YOU in the ground.

    No one died. It was directly pointed out there were zero fatalities.

    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    Crimsondude
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Point is, he was an arrogant kid with an ideology and he went out of his way to make sure other people knew that. He didn't give a fuck about authority or government, he didn't see any distinction between the president and a beggar on the street, both of them and everyone between the product of a failing system that they clearly needed to be saved from at the barrel of a plasma cannon. He was cool and sexy because he was angry and had a good reasons why, an outsider looking in and sneering at what they see.

    And that was cool. He was the kind of guy who couldn't meet someone without judging them, a teenage cross between Magneto, Namor and Spider-Man, arrogant but still likeable because you could tell that sometimes he had a point. He had suffered as a result of entirely plausible failings in human ethics and society, his ruthless uncoverings of our own failures were often legitimate, his bewilderment at our self-destruction was so heartfelt as to be embarrassing, but he also recognised genuine compassion and decency when he came across it as well. He wasn't cruel or heartless, his anger and frustration was born out of precisely the opposite of that, he cared about humans too much to let them fuck up so much.

    There aren't many superheroes like that. Anarchist, punk types with a grudge against the world, but clearly heroes fighting villains. In fact, there was Noh Varr, and that's about it. And sadly, now he's not that any more, and I'm not sure what he is, but it doesn't seem worth the change.

    Solar on
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but what is the time frame for Uncanny Avengers happening? Is this all happening well before Infinity?

    steam_sig.png
  • TurambarTurambar Avocado at law Registered User regular
    Best not to think about it

    Neither will reference the other until they're over

    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie...I kinda miss the days when there were different Avenger teams and X-(Insert ending here) teams that were off and had their own teams and own adventures. I get the need/want to sell more comic books, but sometimes less is more.

    steam_sig.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    There still are?

    I mean Avengers has Cannonball, Sunspot and Wolverine and there is Uncanny Avengers and Beast is on the Illuminati.

    But then there is Avengers Assemble, Secret Avengers, Avengers Arena, Avengers AI, Uncanny X-Men, All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, Cable and X-Force, Wolverine and the X-Men, X-Men and the various solo books.

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    Ya I know there still are, but the overlapping stories kinda bug me. Is Captain America battling the Apocalypse Twins or in space stopping the builders? Not to mention Wolverine. Think i"m gonna need to go back to trades, because the week to week overlapping of a lot of the characters and stories I'm reading bug me.

    steam_sig.png
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    I'd love to see a rad looking infographic timeline of the Marvel U...

    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Ho! Ho! Ho! Drink Coke!Registered User regular
    It's not an infographic, but I found a website a while ago where some guys are arranging every Marvel comic in chronological order. So far they've made it up to comics published in 1985.

    http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/

    Linespider5
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Ya I know there still are, but the overlapping stories kinda bug me. Is Captain America battling the Apocalypse Twins or in space stopping the builders? Not to mention Wolverine. Think i"m gonna need to go back to trades, because the week to week overlapping of a lot of the characters and stories I'm reading bug me.

    Just say "Franklin Richards did it" and keep reading. Asides from the crossovers and a few shoutouts here and there, there really is no reason not to just enjoy the stories.

    Unless you are reading the X-books. Those are a whole different story.

  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    I'd love to see a rad looking infographic timeline of the Marvel U...

    Spray silly string at a wall, then randomly place character names all over it. You'll be pretty close

    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    RingoCrimsondudeUndead Scottsman
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    You know what is really awesome?

    If you read a Cap comic from the 40's that is still in continuity

    DC may have more characters from the Golden Age around in their setting, but Marvel has an unbroken chain over 70 years old

    pretty damn cool!

    FearghaillEtchwartsJyrenBCentipede Damascusmxmarksfrandelgearslip
Sign In or Register to comment.