As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sansa mp3 or Zune

Kerbob97Kerbob97 Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
so I am looking at getting a mp3 player, primarily for the gym, but also for the car. I am tired of being in the gym and hearing Fergie, Black Eyed Peas, and then Gwen Stefani looped over and over and over and...

So Ipod= not an option, and I am looking for something like a Zune or a maybe even a Sansa as I have heard good things there.

What I want in order of importance:

Good Sound
2GB minimum prefer more though
compact
good interface
color screen
radio - video

any thoughts or reccs?

Anything new coming out?

Kerbob97 on

• Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just bought a Sandisk Sansa for pretty much the same reasons, running at the gym. It's the 8GB one, got it off of Amazon for a pretty good price. I'd recommend it, especially since it has FM as well, though I have yet to figure out how to get the darn thing to pick up stations. :P

Aurin on
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You may or may not know this or care (because of the no iPod mention), but Apple is announcing new iPods on September 5th. I'm not sure if this means you might be able to get a deal on a non-Apple player...

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    not that I am totally anti apple,
    just more I hate the whole Itunes thing.
    Plus I have like 15 GB of mp3s already.

@Aurin which model did you get and how much $?

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love my zune. I'll tell you over and over that I love it. I owned and used an ipod daily until it crapped out on me, and by then I was tired of it and ready for something different. My Zune is great.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not anti-Apple either, but I do hate iTunes quite a bit. The problem is that the iPod has the sexiest hardware around and I just love the clickwheel.

What I ended up doing was getting an iPod 80G and putting Rockbox on it. Rockbox is a replacement firmware that lets you just copy (or rsync, or whatever) a directory tree of MP3 files onto your iPod and play them in the organization you already have. No importing into iTunes, no miscategorizing things because of crappy ID3 tags. If you want to boot into the Apple Firmware so you can use iTunes to play videos or something, you can do that too.

There are downsides: if you DO want to use iTunes to download DRMed music you can do that, but you have to play it from the Apple firmware which means rebooting the iPod. Rockbox will not play videos, although why I would want ot watch videos on a 2.5" screen is beyond me. Rockbox is also not as stable as the Apple firmware and it eats up batteries somewhat faster. I've had it crash on me several times, mostly when playing WMAs (oh yes, Rockbox lets you play unencrypted WMAs too). You can just reboot the iPod when that happens. The interface is a little different but it is skinnable.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    so which Sansa is best ? there are like 50 different ones

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is what I got and I'm happy with. But I did forget to mention that it doesn't like organizing my music right, seems it's using the evil tags that are already on the music. Though, making playlists in windows media player is pretty painless. :)

Aurin on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hmmm, I am definitely leaning towards the Sansa now. Has anyone tried the Creative Zen V plus?
    It looks like it has a trackball for a controller.

Also has anyone tried the WiFi Sansa?

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My SO and I each have and rather like the 4 gig Sansa. Converting video is a bit of a pain, but for pure audio use, it's a joy. The pack-in earbuds are much nicer than they have a right to be, and the equalizer is surprisingly decent. It has enough balls to drive my Sennheiser HD280s at passable volume, too.

The no-bullshit downsides:
    - Get a protective case or at least a clear skin for the thing, black shows scratches.
    - The GUI is a bit spartan. It's plenty user-friendly, just not sexy.
    - Video looks kind of mediocre on that tiny screen. The same is true of any device smaller than an iPhone, though.
    - Not a downside, really, but you need to have your MP3 tags in order to get the most out of the device.

So that being said, it's light, sturdy, nice-looking, good-sounding, really cheap, and there's a growing homebrew community popping up around it. You could do a lot worse than a Sansa e2xx.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really don't like the navigation on the Sansa, but I love the iPod one. Sure, the Sansa has pretty little icons, but it's just not as functional. The buttons just don't work for me compared to the iPod. I haven't used the Zune or any Creatives since the old Nomad II (which was good).

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    SagiraSagira Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    I've had a Philips (2gig) Jukebox, a Creative Zen (2gig) Plus (very briefly, but I'll go into that later), and just got a Sansa 8gig a few weeks ago.

I had the Philips for almost a year. It was decent enough. It froze a bit more often than it should have, and deleted ALL of my music once, but.. for the most part it always worked fine. Resetting it fixed just about everything. It has FM, but.. no video or colour screen. Not that you'd want to watch video on a screen that tiny. After having it for over a year, it accidentally slid off my lap and broke. It's thicker than a Ipod nana, but otherwise not any bigger.

After I broke my Philips, I decided to give the Creative Zen V Plus a try. It lasted for all of a week, heh. It didn't hold a charge for longer than 5 hours (audio only), and.. this line in the instruction booklet it came with was rather discouraging:

"WARNING: This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the State of California to cause [cancer, and] birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling."

To make matters worse, the version I bought was IN SUPPORT of breast cancer. Wtf.

There were other things I didn't like about it, though I loved how it looked and felt. The most annoying thing was the reset button. They have those horrible puush reset buttons that you have to force a pin, or something really tiny into. Honestly, who carries stuff like that around with them? It froze all the time, too. UGH.

I returned it a week after I got it.

Finally, my Sansa. I got it a few weeks ago.. and I like it a lot, so far. It holds a charge for a really long time, it hasn't frozen on me yet, and the sound quality is REALLY good. It has video (not that I'd watch it on such a small screen), FM, and a colored screen. It takes a little while to get used to the buttons because they're kind of small, especially if you have a hard case (which I'd recommend, since I'm sure it'd scratch pretty easily), but I like the selection wheel on it a LOT better than the ones on the Ipod Nano (plus, you don't have to deal with itunes, which is always a plus!). The price is really reasonable compared to some of the others, and I find that it can go a lot louder than my Philips can, though.. the Zen did have really good sound quality aswell (it had better, considering who makes it!).

Over all, I think you're much better off going with the Sansa. However, I haven't gotten the chance to play with the Zune, so I can't really say if it's better or not.

Goodluck!

Sagira on
  • Options
    NarketNarket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    ZUNE all the way. i bought my girlfriend one for xmas and it is awesome. the only bad thing about it is the software that you have to install on your comp. we have had a few minor troubles with it, but that little factor wouldn't stop me from buying one for myself.

Narket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UseskaforevilUseskaforevil Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    california thinks everythign causes cancer, and they're right, but probably only if you eat it. remember, kids used to play with lead soldiers, and they used to hand out mercury in classrooms. that doesent make it safe, but its not exactly kryptonite either.

anyway i love my samsung yp-t9 its 4 gigs which is more than you really ever need. unless your going on a trip and are going to be away from a computer, which is silly, dont do that. zunes are pretty huge arent they? my samsung is tiny and works really well for a run even after 90 minutes it doesent seem to throw off my weight balance (my old rio did) it also works with rhapsody which has helped me out alot now that i live in fear of the riaa.

Useskaforevil on
  • Options
    NarketNarket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    zunes are pretty huge arent they? .

yeah, they are about 30 gigs.

Narket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Zune isn't that big. I skate with mine everyday and it fits in my pocket no problem. It isn't heavy and does not throw off my balance. What I love is that with its big button at the bottom its easy to change the song from outside the pocket. I keep video on mine as well. I suggest you procure some software that can convert to the zunes video format(s) and resolution. I got something that rips straight from the dvd to zune-ready media. The zune's software has gotten a lot better but video conversions still take a long time.

Shit I thought he was talking about the physical size.

Shogun on
  • Options
    UseskaforevilUseskaforevil Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i did mean size, runners usually use arm bands and dont wear clothes that have pockets. my big rio was great for snowbarding but not for running. although being able to skip to the next song really easily does sound nice, with mine you do have to hunt a little for the right button.

and video playback is kinda nice to have i geuss, but ive never used it on my mp3 player after the first 2 weeks. if im ever in the position where i could watch video i usually have my phone around, which for cartoons is definatly good enough.

Useskaforevil on
  • Options
    UnicronUnicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Regarding an Apple device, sure they're overpriced and stuff but man do they look nice. I also hate iTunes and never even touched it once. You can use WinAmp which has a built in iPod plugin or if you're on Linux you can use the awesome Amarok or gtkpod or such. Basically what I'm saying is, having an iPod doesn't mean you have to use iTunes (thank God for that)

Now, having said all that, I wouldn't buy an iPod either :p When looking for a device similar to your needs a couple of months ago, I settled on the Creative Zen V Plus (the V denoting Video capabilities [which I don't use btw so can't comment on it's abilities there] and the Plus meaning Radio). Now I find it a very nice MP3 player but sadly lacking in the FM department, I can normally only pick up one or two stations and the reception there is spotty at best. Of course, YMMV etcetera.

The software included is not really that brilliant or that bad, it's an Explorer replacement where you can drag and drop but also includes a wizard if that's more your thing.

Hope all that helps and have fun with whatever you end up buying :)

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've had a Sansa 2 gig version for a year now, and I don't have any regrets. It still rocks.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I had an iPod video 30gb (gen5.5 I believe). Sold it for $200 used and got a new Zune for $150. I love the Zune, haha.

Good Sound - I would say so. Their earphones are better than the iPod earphones. They just fit better and feel nicer, along with their magnetic thing that keeps them untangled when not in use.

2GB minimum prefer more though 30gb :)
    compact hmm. That might be different. The Zune is a bit thicker than my old ipod. zune = ~0.5inches thick. When you work out, you could (and should) buy an armband, so I don't think it'll be much of a hassle.
    good interface YES! You can personalize your background and the bigger screen looks all nice and simple. Very easy to use, too.
    color screen Yup. Full color.. unless you put a black and white background picture I guess.
    radio - video Radio and Video. Your antennae is your headphone wire, I believe. Video converting for Zune just takes a while, though, so that kinda sucks.

I've never used Sansa, so I don't have much or anything to say about that...

benz0rs on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    OK, so I just saw this ad:

Sansa 8 GB
    $129.00 at Office Depot. Of course you can never use those coupons for anything useful tech wise, only staplers and paper. :roll:
    So unless someone else can tell me how to get a better deal, OR get a Zune for $150, that looks like a great deal to me.

or the Sansa 4GB for $99.

Going once....

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    The-PimpThe-Pimp Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I had a Sansa 4GB and I didn't have many problems with it. It is a solid product but some of the downsides are that it freezes up sometimes (rarely, not a big deal) and it doesn't have much power when used in a car stereo compared to an iPod (bass and overall quality suffers) but other than that its a fine product.

The-Pimp on
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh, Zune and iPod are both coming out with new versions soon so if you look hard enough, you may find them for cheap. I got lucky with the Zune for 150, I think...?

benz0rs on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have a 4gig Sansa, its pretty good.

Minor complaint I have is that after about 6-7 months the scroll/volume wheel on it is all gummed up and impossible to move a lot of the time. I opened it up (probably voided any warranties I had) and tried to take it out to clean it - no luck, but it does seem to move a lot easier now.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    cubinecubine Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    I had a Sansa for awhile. It was a nice little MP3 player, good quality and all of that, and even though it was only 2gb it was expandable. That was probably the best feature.

cubine on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Damnation!

I bought the 8GB Sansa, and a day later this comes out!

Kerbob97 on