As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla]: Enemy Unknown -- OPERATION: DEVIL'S MOON Complete!

Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed VigiloConfidoRegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in Critical Failures

COMMS ARE DOWN. PMs are limited to a distance of three tiles.
What is this?
This is a Phalla for at least 20 players. I will run it with as many people as sign up. The basic rules, as established by the community, are:

- You may not screenshot any conversation in an attempt to confirm anything.
- You may not add anyone to an already established PM chain.
- You may make one "ghost post" when you die, which may not contain any game information, and then you may not speak on game events any longer.
- If you create any proboards, you must invite the host(s).
- You must include the host(s) in any PMs you have with other players.
- Editing a vote post invalidates it; invalid votes must be replaced with valid votes.
- You must vote for a player each day until directed otherwise. Going two days without making at least one post and a vote post will result in your removal from the game.

Signing Up
To sign up to play, post in Bold Limegreen. Sign ups will be open at least through the weekend.

Voting
Each day, every player must vote for a non-removed player in Bold Red. The player with the most red votes at the end of the day will be removed from the game. Votes close at 10:30 EST; vote posts with a later time stamp will not be considered.

Day 0
The game will start on Monday or Tuesday, depending on how quickly everyone gets their characters sent in. There will first be a Day 0 for deployment and planning.

Now, what's different about this Phalla?

This Phalla is based on the game, "XCOM: Enemy Unknown". If there are sequels to this Phalla, they may incorporate elements from the game's predecessors, "UFO Defense" and "Terror From The Deep". XCOM is a game of tactical, turn-based combat, and therefore this Phalla will include a tactical sub-game. Knowledge of the game may help you more easily grasp the tactical mechanics here, and will definitely help you guess certain attributes of the alien forces you'll be fighting.

OK, so how do I kill shit?

Each day, you may take 2 Actions. These Actions may be spent to accomplish the following tasks:

Fire: Target a player within your line of sight, no further away than 15 tiles. If the shot is successful, you will deal damage to them based on your weapon's Damage stat. Your turn ends.
Move: Move up to 5 tiles away.
Overwatch: Your turn ends. This turn, if a hostile unit passes within your firing range (line of sight, no further away than 15 tiles) this turn, you will fire at them. This shot will be subject to a -20 aim penalty, due to the nature of a moving target.
Hunker Down: Your turn ends. Your cover bonus is doubled, and any successful shot against you this turn will automatically deal its minimum damage.
Use Item: Varies. More on this later.

NOTICE: Fire, Overwatch, and Hunker Down will all end your turn, regardless of whether they are your first or second action. In most cases, Use Item will also end your turn, but that depends on the item you're using.

Sounds good. Wait, "tiles"? We're using a map?

Hell yeah.

What's it look like?

A map. You'll find out. Most importantly, you need to know that the map contains various features -- walls, tables, cars, that sort of thing -- which can be used as Cover. Cover exists in 2 varieties, Low Cover and High Cover.

Low Cover inflicts a -20 Aim penalty against anyone firing at you, unless they're flanking you, rendering your cover useless. The same goes for High Cover, except the penalty is -40.

In general, walls provide High Cover, while less substantial features will provide Low Cover. Clarifications will not be given regarding whether a particular feature constitutes High Cover or Low Cover, because I have a life outside of answering Phalla clarifications, and also because there's an element of risk/reward and intuition for the players this way. Use your best judgement, and then die horribly anyway because life is perilously unfair.

Dick.

"Dick, sir."

OK, you said something about submitting characters?

Yes. When you sign up for the game, you'll need to create your character. Do not PM me your character. We'll be using a Google Form to handle both character generation and daily orders.

When creating your character, you'll be defining the following traits:

In-game name: This is your chance to name your soldier Big McLargehuge, or Rock Slabcleft, or whatever. A first and last name are required, but they can be anything.
Aim, Health, and Willpower: These are your 3 central stats. Each one may be set to High, Average, or Low. You'll need to choose one of each -- no two stats may be at the same level. This means if you have High Aim, you may not have High Health or Willpower. You get one High stat, one Average stat, and one Low stat. Choose wisely.

Generate your character here.

Let's go back to the items. What toys do I get?

Some of the items you might get, and how they work:

Grenade: Single-use. Targets a square within 4 tiles of you. Any units on that square, or adjacent squares, will take 3 damage. In addition, all walls (and, in fact, most cover) within the effected tiles or bordering them will be destroyed. Your turn ends.
Medkit: Single-use. Targets a player adjacent to you, healing them for 3 health. Your turn ends.
SCOPE: Passive, "Use Item" not necessary. Provides a +10 Aim bonus to its bearer.
Nano-Fiber Vest: Passive, "Use Item" not necessary. Provides a +2 Health bonus to its wearer.

There may be other items not listed here.

Like what?

Like your mom.

Unnecessary.

You asked.

Wait, Phalla usually has a mafia or something. Can't we just vote out the players who are controlling the aliens?

Hahahaha, clarification denied.

Fine. Order of Actions?

First come, first served.

...what.

The Google Form we'll be using to handle daily orders puts a timestamp on each response submitted. First, the vote will be counted and the player with the most red votes will be eliminated. Then, the orders will be processed in the order they were received.

Shit.

Yup. Furthermore, only your first submission will be taken into consideration. If you want to coordinate with other players, you're going to be further down the list. If you go lone wolf and send your orders in early, you'll be early in the turn order, but you'll be locked into those actions even if you change your mind later.

Well, double shi--

That's not all. Let's say you submit an invalid order, like moving to end your turn in a tile already occupied by another player, or shooting at a player who has (by the time your turn begins) moved out of your line of sight. In such a case, your actions will be processed separately. Any actions which result in an invalid circumstance will be ignored.

Anything else I should know?

Yes.

Dashing: When you use both actions to move (for a total of up to 10 tiles), you are considered to be Dashing. When Dashing, any Overwatch shots attempted against you will have an additional -10 Aim penalty.

Vaulting: You can vault over the counter and the tables as part of a Move action. In order to do so, you must begin your movement adjacent to the counter or table in question. This may be your first or second movement for the turn. Vaulting will consume two movement points, as though you had walked through the two tiles in question. Similarly, you may crash through a window as the start of your movement -- excluding the drive-thru window, which may be seen/fired through, but not moved through.

Doors: Doors will block LOS until the first time they are passed through. After that, they'll be considered open for the remainder of the game. However, if you are adjacent to a closed door, you may force it open as part of a Fire action, provided your target is already visible. This means that you'll need a spotter able to see the enemy. Your fellow XCOM soldiers are always considered "visible" for these purposes.

Default Actions: If you fail to send in your orders for the day, you will default to Hunkering Down at the beginning of the round. This can be useful, actually, if you don't check the thread until late in the day and feel you're in a precarious position. Not sending in your orders will ensure that you're Hunkered Down before anyone starts shooting, whereas actually sending in the order to Hunker Down would place you further down the turn order.

Balance Issues: I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea how well this will work, in terms of balance. I'm trying to adhere to the numbers from the actual game as much as possible, with various tweaks to account for the differences in medium. However, this is most definitely a rough draft sort of Phalla design. That doesn't mean it's closed to criticism, I welcome criticism after the game, that's the only way a sequel game could happen. However, if you're the sort of person who can't enjoy a little experimentation in your Phalla, this might not be the game for you. It has the potential to be short, bloody, and swingy as all hell. Won't know for sure until we try it.

Win Conditions: All village-aligned players have multiple win conditions, at various levels of priority. They are as follows.

Primary Goal: Eliminate the alien invaders and any other threats to the XCOM squad.
Secondary Goal: Survive.
Tertiary Goal: Attain the best kill record on this mission and/or perform the most badass or tactically risky maneuver.

It is possible to achieve your secondary and tertiary goals without achieving primary victory. This is possible through the Retreat mechanic.

Each day, you may vote to !Retreat from the mission. If a majority of village-aligned players remaining in the game vote this way, all village-aligned players on the edge of the map will achieve their secondary win condition ("Survive."), but the mission will be a failure and any village-aligned players remaining inthe game will be assumed dead. At that time, the tertiary victory ("be a badass") will be awarded to the most deserving player among the survivors.

oh my god what?

Good luck, rookie. You're taking point on this one.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
Gandalf_the_Crazed on

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Day 1
    Day 2
    Day 3

Day7_zps4b05bf95.jpg

Players and Locations
    Auralynx--C14
    Chiasaur--G26
    Megafrost--H2
    ObiFett--P13
    shalmelo--P26
    Trust--M2
    undergroundmonorail--E22
    Vertroue--W4

Sectoid Jimmy -- H15
    Sectoid Ricky -- N17
    Sectoid Todd -- L17
    Sectoid Harold -- P17

Jamming Device -- N11

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    boom boom baby

• MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    insert witty line here

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Dear god yes

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    sounds like fun!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Ready for action.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Oh, I knew I forgot something.

The beautiful and talented @Sir Fabulous will be co-hosting this game. Everyone should include him in their PM conversations.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    heyyyy

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
    feels like this needs emphasizing, in case people read it quickly and just select the "best options" , though I have no idea how one would have sex in a beehive. Like would it be the Wasp and Antman or what? figured it was a metaphor but still weird imagery.

In-game name: This is your chance to name your soldier Big McLargehuge, or Rock Slabcleft, or whatever. A first and last name are required, but they can be anything.
    Aim, Health, and Willpower: These are your 3 central stats. Each one may be set to High, Average, or Low. You'll need to choose one of each -- no two stats may be at the same level. This means if you have High Aim, you may not have High Health or Willpower. You get one High stat, one Average stat, and one Low stat. Choose wisely.

Generate your character here.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    X-Com recruits from Summerisle, obviously.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    signup

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Come on. It's not like I actually had a choice here.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Individual chance of survival on this mission calculated at 2%

Losses: Acceptable

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    Reporting for duty

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    yes Yes YES!

steam_sig.png
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Well since I'm a robot. Not only should my chances of survival be higher, I also shouldn't have to worry too much about my will attribute. :P

can our characters panic or CD?

Egos wrote: »
    can our characters panic or CD?

The presence of a Willpower attribute would suggest that panic and/or mind control might be present in some form.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    figured the latter. but wanted to make sure about panic because quite a few other combat details are in there

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    If we survive, are we playing the game wrong?

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Indeed.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    So I just beat this again last week. I forgot how terribly designed the last level is.
    2 snipers = instant win, 1 sniper = 99% chance of win, especially with double tap. Maybe we shouldn't have made the hallway outside have a direct line of sight to the Uber Ethereal?

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'll just be cowering behind the burning car

• MillMill Registered User regular
    So Obi is already doing better than one of the fodder enemies that like to do mental links, which can result in all mental linked units dying if one gets killed, followed by hiding behind cars that haven't be set afire yet.

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Signup!

So I just beat this again last week. I forgot how terribly designed the last level is.
    2 snipers = instant win, 1 sniper = 99% chance of win, especially with double tap. Maybe we shouldn't have made the hallway outside have a direct line of sight to the Uber Ethereal?
    If for whatever reason you do miss, or are sniper-less, it's a fairly inconvenient room. One serious dislike I have for the game as-is is how cool Assaults sound on paper and how utterly doomed they are in practice unless you pretty well ignore the idea of moving quickly.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    If for whatever reason you do miss, or are sniper-less, it's a fairly inconvenient room. One serious dislike I have for the game as-is is how cool Assaults sound on paper and how utterly doomed they are in practice unless you pretty well ignore the idea of moving quickly.

Get better assaults.

Had a guy once. Name of Paul Thompson.

The man would not die.
    You know slingshot, mission 2? He let me finish the thing in four turns. Got pinned down by five thin men, while in half cover and, if memory serves, already injured. Still came out of the mission alive.

The defensive abilities really let you take more risks than otherwise.

Been down that road; it just delays the moment when you eventually round a corner into a pile of berserkers or something. Which is pretty much what X-Com is about, but it's frustratingly tough to reach the level of excellent with an Assault you can with a Sniper and then keep them alive long. Ymmv, and probably will depending on your use of the tech tree.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »
    Been down that road; it just delays the moment when you eventually round a corner into a pile of berserkers or something. Which is pretty much what X-Com is about, but it's frustratingly tough to reach the level of excellent with an Assault you can with a Sniper and then keep them alive long. Ymmv, and probably will depending on your use of the tech tree.
    I was not kidding with would not die.

He got the killshot on the head ethereal.

Mind, before then he had to duck a half dozen bolts of plasma before he got lightning reflexes, soak a sectoid crit that left him with one hp, and, well, the train mission.

Assaults are badass. You just have to use them as part of a well oiled machine.

• vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    yes?!

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    Reporting for horrible death.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    signup. The OP reminds me how much I love/hate xcom

PSN SeGaTai
  • undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Does anyone know how well XCOM:EU runs under Wine? I've heard nothing but good things about it and I might try it out for the sake of the Phalla.

undergroundmonorail on
    Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Turanos wrote: »

You guys look new. Are you new?

If so, just remember:

Phalla Rule #1: Always trust kime

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »

If so, just remember:

So when he inevitably claims he's all the mafias on day one, vote him out immediately.

If so, just remember:

So when he inevitably claims he's all the mafias on day one, vote him out immediately.

New to Phallas. Not new to X-Com. So I know the important rules.

Rule 1: Trust no-one.

Rule 2: Turn your back on hope and love

Rule 3: We all die alone and afraid

Rule 4: Eat kosher salamis.

If so, just remember:

New to Phallas. Not new to X-Com. So I know the important rules.

Rule 1: Trust no-one.

Rule 2: Turn your back on hope and love

Rule 3: We all die alone and afraid

Rule 4: Eat kosher salamis.

Are Mutons kosher?

---TOP SECRET--- OPERATION DEVIL'S MOON ---TOP SECRET---

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

HQ: We've picked up a local broadcast indicating alien activity in a major metropolitan area.  We need to get down there and eliminate any hostiles. We're going to be putting down in Mexico for this mission.  Tactical, do you have the--

TAC: Yes, commander.  We've cross-referenced our satellite imagery with the blueprints on record for the building in question, and supplemented with analysis of some old security footage from a robbery there 3 years ago.  We think we've got a pretty good idea what we're going into, here.  Coming on screen now.

fastfood_zps03e2c1e9.jpg
    HQ: This could get ugly.  Can you get me a tactical overlay on that image?  Make it snappy, Big Sky's got wheels up in five.

TAC: Right away, sir.

Sign-ups are still open.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg